GDT: Game 2: Penguins @ Coyotes ~ 7:00 P.M. MST ~ 10/10/15 ~ FS Arizona

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Correct. Vermette has been invisible which is not like him. It has only been two games so not really worried.

He made at least two moves Saturday that seemed uncharacteristic for him. At the time I thought those were "hey, I've got *my* name on the cup, boys, check *this* move out..."

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Doan? Doan is a sunk cost and everybody knew his contact toward the end wouldn't be worth what it is. At least he can score some goals on the PP and generally annoy goalies in front of the net. Those are skills not nearly as easy to find as random 4th liner talents. So yeah purely on hockey skills, Doan @ 4.5 > Chip at 900k. Pretty easily actually.

I think Doan's veteran leadership is also something that's hard to put a price on. He seems like the right guy to help show the rookies the right way to play and what it means to be a pro.

Last edited:

cobra427

May 6, 2012
You'll find I'm nearly always the last guy to go to stats.

Speaking of stats, I was thinking how we were winless in preseason and couldn't score. Now we are 2-0, and look like a totally different team. The Oilers had one loss in preseason and are now 0-2, their fans are on the ledge. I know it is early but preseason sure looks pretty meaningless now as to wins and losses or how a team will play in the regular season. I think it is really just a warm up for the vets and an individual tryout for the young guys, but nothing more can be gained from it.

HerrDonut

May 30, 2013
Arizona
I was at the game, and so couldn't glean as much info as if I'd been watching on the telly, but I quite liked Downie's game. He seemed to be laying into someone every time I looked for him.

Also, was the play that resulted in Reider's goal not offside?? Looked a mile off, I remained seated just waiting for the unevitable coach's challenge... which never came. How come I haven't heard more complaints? The comments from Pens fans on nhl.com were all addressing their team's more pressing issues, granted.

:laugh: I'm not stating that he did or did not turn the puck over, but you went from "multiple turnovers" that "created chances" to this one incident!

Too funny.
If I remember right, you or someone in your camp asked for examples, and he just gave you a very specific example. Had he given you multiple very specific examples, I think he'd look pret-ty crazy....

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Speaking of stats, I was thinking how we were winless in preseason and couldn't score. Now we are 2-0, and look like a totally different team. The Oilers had one loss in preseason and are now 0-2, their fans are on the ledge. I know it is early but preseason sure looks pretty meaningless now as to wins and losses or how a team will play in the regular season. I think it is really just a warm up for the vets and an individual tryout for the young guys, but nothing more can be gained from it.

I agree, but it tends to "rope us in" every preseason.

MIGs Dog

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 3, 2012
Also, was the play that resulted in Reider's goal not offside?? Looked a mile off, I remained seated just waiting for the unevitable coach's challenge... which never came. How come I haven't heard more complaints? The comments from Pens fans on nhl.com were all addressing their team's more pressing issues, granted.

When I saw it live I thought the same thing, but apparently one of the Pens knocked the puck in the zone negating the offsides.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I was at the game, and so couldn't glean as much info as if I'd been watching on the telly, but I quite liked Downie's game. He seemed to be laying into someone every time I looked for him.

How can you possibly glean more from tv? Even with more of the picture available with HiDef, you just can't see everything unfold.

If I remember right, you or someone in your camp asked for examples, and he just gave you a very specific example. Had he given you multiple very specific examples, I think he'd look pret-ty crazy....

I don't remember anyone asking for specific examples. I do remember the seattle guy taking exception to my comment regarding fans viewing under the influence, or being influenced by the lynch mob. Point being - there were not "multiple turnovers" that lead to "opportunities for the opposition".

Grimes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 5, 2012
Tippet's Doghouse
Good link. Found this interesting.

“He’s awesome,” Murphy said. “I’ve been so impressed. I knew he was a good defenseman but he’s so strong that guys can’t get by him. He just gets an arm on them and stops the play. It’s cool to see the replays and how he manhandles some guys.”

I've already noticed the improved play of Murphy around the net. This is always where he was the weakest. Now he doesn't have to push people out of the crease but he can scoop up pucks that Grossman knocks out. Murphy is rangy enough to either move the puck out or shoot it out afterwards. Watch Murphy's stick next game around the crease. I think Grossman is going to be a great mentor for him.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Do you really think that? Honestly I don't mean to offend but I want to make sure you're not just exaggerating to make a point.

Doan has tremendous sentimental value to me. I've seen every minute of his play this year and he's done. I'll help erect the monument in his honor, he deserves it, but on the ice, he's just done.

Come on now, Doan and Chip should never be used in the same sentence. Doan is a very useful player, under rated by most on these boards. He can still play the game at a high level.

I haven't seen anything but a plodding hockey player in Doan this year.

Why any of you care so passionately one way or the other about Chipchura is absolutely perplexing. The term equally ******** comes to mind. :sarcasm:

I don't give two bit about Chipchura other than to defend him when people want to lay blame on him or sacrifice him for other players' poor play. He's adequate enough as a 3rd or 4th liner to keep around until the next wave of rookies hit. He is not, NOT, emblematic of the previous troubles of this team. He is not, NOT, the reason why the clubhouse went to **** or why players stopped caring. He played on to the best of his ability last year.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
I don't give two bit about Chipchura other than to defend him when people want to lay blame on him or sacrifice him for other players' poor play. He's adequate enough as a 3rd or 4th liner to keep around until the next wave of rookies hit. He is not, NOT, emblematic of the previous troubles of this team. He is not, NOT, the reason why the clubhouse went to **** or why players stopped caring. He played on to the best of his ability last year.

Pretty good summation right there.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
He also agreed with the Chip-bashers :laugh: :

"All these ‘fancy stats’ sometimes don’t tell the true story of what actually happens in the game..."

We shall see tomorrow and Thursday. If Tip is not happy with his play, Vitale/Scott will play. Minutes/healthy scratches always tell you what the coach thinks.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
We shall see tomorrow and Thursday. If Tip is not happy with his play, Vitale/Scott will play. Minutes/healthy scratches always tell you what the coach thinks.

Hardly. The possibilities as to why a bottom pairing role player would be substituted with another are all but endless. I would not claim that Chip is a better player in all situations, than Vitale, just because Chip is playing and Vitale is not. Scott on the other hand? :)

But there again, Scott could well be a better fit (in coaches mind) depending on the opponent and role required.

Tomorrow and Thursday can hardly be used as some sort of "litmus test".... if you will.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad