GDT: Game 2: Penguins @ Coyotes ~ 7:00 P.M. MST ~ 10/10/15 ~ FS Arizona

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
So some people didn't notice Chip's multiple turnovers when overhandling the puck that created chances for the other team? How did you guys miss those give aways?

He doesn't hit, he doesn't set people up, he doesn't win battles enough, he holds the puck too long, he doesn't get in anyone's face, he isn't tenacious on the forecheck.

But I just don't understand why people want him again, ya' know?
Why he's known as Tipchura around these parts......

Matias Maccete

Chopping up defenses
Sep 21, 2014
So some people didn't notice Chip's multiple turnovers when overhandling the puck that created chances for the other team? How did you guys miss those give aways?

He doesn't hit, he doesn't set people up, he doesn't win battles enough, he holds the puck too long, he doesn't get in anyone's face, he isn't tenacious on the forecheck.

Hey besides all that he's a really good player though.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

According to the stat sheet for the first two games Chip does not have a GvA or TkA. I'm not trying to defend Chip in the least, but for the first two games of the year he has not hurt this team.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
According to the stat sheet for the first two games Chip does not have a GvA or TkA. I'm not trying to defend Chip in the least, but for the first two games of the year he has not hurt this team.

Many fans seem to believe the best way to view the sport is under the influence of powerful hallucinogenic drugs. That or they let the disdain of a small pack hereabouts influence their ability to see reality..... :dunno:

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Many fans seem to believe the best way to view the sport is under the influence of powerful hallucinogenic drugs. That or they let the disdain of a small pack hereabouts influence their ability to see reality..... :dunno:

Yea, there was even a complaint on this board about Grossman. If Smith becomes a top 10 goalie this season he should give a third of his pay to Grossman for clearing the crease out for him.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona

First game, first period, Chip had the puck by the circle to the left of Quick after he got a pass from Murphy (I believe) he went to stick handle and once pressured, lost control and fell. That stat sheet may just be wrong.

I'm guessing Kih didn't actually watch the game, or it just moves too fast for him. Old age and all.

As for the Grossman comparison, one is not like the other. Grossman has been a NOTICEABLE presence in a positive way. He's added something we were missing. Chip has done nothing positive.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
Yea, there was even a complaint on this board about Grossman. If Smith becomes a top 10 goalie this season he should give a third of his pay to Grossman for clearing the crease out for him.

Grossman was very effective at his game (particularly against the Pens), much more so than in preseason.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

:laugh::laugh: That explains everything.

First game, first period, Chip had the puck by the circle to the left of Quick after he got a pass from Murphy (I believe) he went to stick handle and once pressured, lost control and fell. That stat sheet may just be wrong.

I'm guessing Kih didn't actually watch the game, or it just moves too fast for him. Old age and all.

As for the Grossman comparison, one is not like the other. Grossman has been a NOTICEABLE presence in a positive way. He's added something we were missing. Chip has done nothing positive.

Ok the stat sheet is wrong and your right.
I would bet that Kih has forgotten more about hockey than you know, old age and all.:)

Grossman was very effective at his game (particularly against the Pens), much more so than in preseason.

Grossman has been a pleasant surprise in the first two games. He kind of scared me during the preseason, but so far so good.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Yes, in fact, giveaway and takeaway statistics are literally the only the way to determine the quality of player's performance. It certainly has nothing to do with Chip's poor passing ability, bad decision making, terrible stickhandling, lazy forechecking, or the fact that he's a light enforcer, who literally never sticks up for our guys. Ever. But no, he didn't technically have a giveaway on the stat sheet, so it's all good.

You guys argue that Chip doesn't look horrible (which he does) yet can't seem to point out anything positive that he contributes. So if the best case we can argue for Chip, is that he's possibly not a complete piece of crap, then why keep him around, when we can replace him with a younger, hungrier player, who has higher upside?

Last edited:

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
It literally stuns me that there are people who still think Chipchura is an effective player. He's the whipping boy for a reason. He contributes nothing, unless you count his "sick dangles" that constantly end up with him losing possession. He used to be an effective FOURTH LINER, but somewhere along the lines he got way in over his head (probably due to Tip giving him top 6 minutes) and he forgot how to play like a fourth liner.

Yet, people still defend him and it blows my mind. I question if they've been watching the correct player this entire time, because if they have, we have very, very different definitions of what is good, and what is bad.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Yes. My issue with Chip is that he is played higher in the lineup than his play justifies and that he seems to have abandoned the high-energy game which made him an effective fourth liner and has decided to "make things happen" by playing a passive "playmaking" game, over-handling the puck resulting in entirely predictable giveaways.
Also, the Tippett lovebond thing.

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
It literally stuns me that there are people who still think Chipchura is an effective player.

Nah, you know the type, why they think that, and why they insist upon it despite all the evidence to the contrary.

Plub

Part time Leaf fan
Jan 9, 2011
Arizona
:laugh::laugh: That explains everything.

Ok the stat sheet is wrong and your right.
I would bet that Kih has forgotten more about hockey than you know, old age and all.

You'd be wrong, which would be par for the course I suppose.

Muppet

7th Round Pick
Mar 13, 2011
Huh? Reading comprehension much? I illustrated a turnover in his first game that would contradict the idea he has no giveaways.

0:30 is where we see the play you're talking about, and the almighty Tipchura make a total dick of himself.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Everyone knows a quick perusal of the stat line is a better way to evaluate than watching tape, guys. How dare you question the wisdom of Heckle and Jeckle...

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yes, in fact, giveaway and takeaway statistics are literally the only the way to determine the quality of player's performance. It certainly has nothing to do with Chip's poor passing ability, bad decision making, terrible stickhandling, lazy forechecking, or the fact that he's a light enforcer, who literally never sticks up for our guys. Ever. But no, he didn't technically have a giveaway on the stat sheet, so it's all good.

You guys argue that Chip doesn't look horrible (which he does) yet can't seem to point out anything positive that he contributes. So if the best case we can argue for Chip, is that he's possibly not a complete piece of crap, then why keep him around, when we can replace him with a younger, hungrier player, who has higher upside?

It literally stuns me that there are people who still think Chipchura is an effective player. He's the whipping boy for a reason. He contributes nothing, unless you count his "sick dangles" that constantly end up with him losing possession. He used to be an effective FOURTH LINER, but somewhere along the lines he got way in over his head (probably due to Tip giving him top 6 minutes) and he forgot how to play like a fourth liner.

Yet, people still defend him and it blows my mind. I question if they've been watching the correct player this entire time, because if they have, we have very, very different definitions of what is good, and what is bad.

Yes. My issue with Chip is that he is played higher in the lineup than his play justifies and that he seems to have abandoned the high-energy game which made him an effective fourth liner and has decided to "make things happen" by playing a passive "playmaking" game, over-handling the puck resulting in entirely predictable giveaways.
Also, the Tippett lovebond thing.

Not defending Chip at all, in fact I have stated many times that I would like to see his spot taken by a rookie. What I did say was that Chip's play in the first two games has not hurt this team.

Lyotes

Aug 8, 2012
Arizona
I was watching on the fly and one of the commentators said that a Smith saw a sports physiologist this off season. Maybe that helped more then anything.

CC96

Serious Offender
Nov 6, 2012
Mesa, Arizona
Not defending Chip at all, in fact I have stated many times that I would like to see his spot taken by a rookie. What I did say was that Chip's play in the first two games has not hurt this team.

You're not the one I'm puttin' on blast, homie. :cheers:

I was watching on the fly and one of the commentators said that a Smith saw a sports physiologist this off season. Maybe that helped more then anything.

Smitty started seeing the psychologist after the all-star break last year, and his stats have improved exponentially since then. Hopeffully, it'll be enough to let Smitty keep his head out of his permanently. When he's not spazzing out, he's a very talented goalie.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Chips play is OK, not great not bad. We will see what Tip thinks next game. Chip could be replaced by Joe V or maybe Scott. I don't see Martinook coming out of the line up since he has been solid. Z will be back in for Elliot. Duclair will stay in the line up but needs to be better on D and avoid neutral zone/blue line turnovers. Vermette/Bods need to get it going a little more, have not been factors so far.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Getting rid of Chip is purely symbolic and something that needs to happen, who cares how he plays.

I am sure that the Arizona Coyotes organization is eager and willing to pander to the 15 or so posters on the Arizona board of HF and so will throw us a bone by waiving Chip. Really, who really gives a **** what we think about Chipchura.

I also doubt the wisdom of firing somebody from his job as a symbolic gesture.

SniperHF

Rejecting Reports
Mar 9, 2007
Phoenix
I am sure that the Arizona Coyotes organization is eager and willing to pander to the 15 or so posters on the Arizona board of HF and so will throw us a bone by waiving Chip. Really, who really gives a **** what we think about Chipchura.

No really? Had no idea. Might as well never post anything.

I also doubt the wisdom of firing somebody from his job as a symbolic gesture.

Chip should have been cut after his awful play in 2014. They'll buyout a guy making 5 million bucks but keep around a less than replacement level scrub whose spot is easily filled in by a random minor league player.

If you don't think teams send messages to their fans that changes are being made then I don't know what to say. I guess you missed most coaching firings in the history of sports.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad