GDT: Game 2 | New York Rangers @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I liked this game a lot, Boone hat trick, Jiricek gets his first, top-9 lines looked good in the first two periods, goalies were very good, Texier was great, Laine was over 50% on the dot. Fantilli was a bit invisible apart from a couple nice connections with Laine that didn't really lead to anything, but I'd give it more time.

It looked like a different team compared to the first game, clearly the lines were better, KJ was a good add to the line up. The 4th line sucked, for next game I would replace Olivier (or maybe Foudy) with Bemström and see how that looks. I largely liked the play of all defensemen, Gudbransson looks so much better than he did last year. Bean is starting to look like the player he was supposed to be. I thought every D-man looked like they belong.

The 3rd period was what it was, they had a 3 goal lead with a cold goalie coming in, it was a very extreme example of score effects. I'm sure it was by design they'll try to protect the lead and limit dangerous scoring changes against. I'm also sure it was not by design to get hemmed in in your own zone for 20 minutes, but live and learn. They got the job done, but it's a bit ironic largely due to great play by the goalie I assume they were trying to 'protect' :D

Certainly there were things that were not great, but while the 1st game the team looked like a complete mess you just need to somehow 'fix', this game they looked like a competent team that needs to improve to keep getting wins. There's a big difference.

EDIT: to add about goalies, I think if you look at the game Elvis played trying to find fault, there were certainly things to find there, but he made lots of very good stops, generally didn't overplay like he used to and had solid body language. The shaky stops or bad rebounds he made, he actually got some help from the team, which is completely opposite to last season. To me he looked and felt like a goalie the team can trust to make the stop and also the other way around, they were helping their goalie to play well.

Last edited:

Bookker

Sep 17, 2010
Could we speak just for few seconds about Texier's level right now ?

He was a demon last night, an absolute beast, on every pucks
He is sooo versatile, he is a gem when he plays at that level
He was everywhere :
- PP
- PK
- Presence in front of the net
- Battling along the boards and stealing pucks (as usual)
- Grit & energy all game long (including throwing himself on the ice twice to clear pucks/keep it in the Ozone)
- Creativity & skill (that new move to pass it to Laine was insane)
- Almost 20' on the ice, best TOI amongst forwards (it seems Vincent saw the same game :D )

God, he is so fun to watch, so good, if Danforth or Silinger had 1 point (even Gaudreau with 2) he should have deserved/finished with 3+ points for this overall performance, and i'm deadly serious :naughty:

Jenner deserves the honors with his hat-trick for sure, but the guy just behind was Tex, by far

Hope it will result in points for him soon, but even if he collects 20 points at the end of the season because of "bad" puck luck, personally I will be happy anyway :nod:

Bonus :
Once again the statcard for Tex is an absolute trash/joke, don't give to much credit to those metrics

Last edited:

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Provorov looked good last night. We probably won't be able to resign him next year so I hope we get a good return at the deadline.
Wouldn’t be so sure. He seems to really like being here. It’ll depend on price and the development of Mateychuk and Svozil, but I don’t think it’s impossible he stays.

Reactions: Xoggz22

Byrral

Aug 2, 2006
Columbus, Ohio
The one thing that stands out to me with Jiricek is when the opposing team has the puck and they are rushing into the neutral zone towards the CBJ zone. At times he gets caught between skating totally backwards or turning around into a forward position to gain more speed and then turning around backwards. He doesn't have that backward speed skating stride yet so he gets walked around because he tries to do it. He almost got caught again last night. Other than that he doesn't look out of place and they are trying to win hockey games. Winning some games right now means something. It's going to be hard to send him down when he might be the best option to solidify the back end and he can gain a lot of experience this season when they really aren't expected to do anything. Plus it looks like he should be a natural next to Zach so why not start it now. I understand the temptation.

Edit: Texier looked really good last night. Those stats make him look like a passenger. He was far from it.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
I was out tonight and missed the game, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the 4th line got acceptable results.

I'd get our scratches back in there and see how they react to it. Or in Bemstrom's case he was legit fine in the first game, seemingly much better than Foudy and Olivier were tonight. I understand Olivier might not be 100%, but all the more reason to rest him.
I am concerned that Vincent is over-thinking things and is trying to force a shutdown/energy line instead of just dressing his 12 best forwards and rolling the lines even if it means 4 "scoring" lines. This will be even bigger of a problem when Chinakhov gets healthy.

NotCommitted

Jul 4, 2013
I have no idea how exactly those score cards work, but anything like that will have game based variation. A single game doesn't necessarily tell much, especially if it goes against the eye-test, but a guy consistently at the top (or bottom) in those, then it probably means something.

Like last nights game, besides the 3rd period that might skew things, Texier had some great plays that didn't amount to anything, while Laine for example probably got a lot of offensive boost from that one 1st apple to Jiricek goal, which was just a run of the mill good pass to an open guy, but nothing special. Meanwhile Tex set up Laine really beautifully with a great play, but Laine got robbed. That still counts as offensive impact I'm sure, but not in the "individual" category.

If you look at that card more closely, you can see what Laine has above Tex in the offense category is all "production" (light blue) which I guess is that assist + maybe something else, while in the offensive impact (mid blue) they are fairly equal with a slight nod to Tex. I don't know why Tex has so poor def impact compared to Fantilli/Laine, maybe it's because of PK or just a couple bad shifts where he was the last player of his line to leave the ice or something. Watching the game, I would say out of that line Tex had the best game, followed by Laine and then some gap to Fantilli who looked more like a passenger than the other two.

Xoggz22

Mar 4, 2002
Columbus, Ohio
What a difference a game makes... They played much faster. Looked more confident (certainly through 2 periods with their starter in net) and if the rest of the team catches up to Bean and Elvis play levels, we'll be just fine. Both have looked good in the first two games. Bean has been extremely confident and competent in my opinion. I do not think this team will miss Peeke. Let's watch the progression as the system becomes habit and they think less and play more. Certainly expecting much different than last year. Early returns seem pretty positive (adjustment after game one and players looking to play)

Reactions: Napoli

JacketsDavid

Jan 11, 2013
if not for a couple of blown off goals it could have been a disaster for Elvis (3 of first 4 shots went in, but luckily 2 called back for off sides) but was good to see him rebound for rest of first and second.

Bobcat205

addicted to the grind
Sep 22, 2023
your local KFC
Always a great day to wear my Victory Hat™ to school. Saturday night was fun to watch.

Don't necessarily agree with sending Eric to Cleveland (personally I would have sent down Foudy), but in the end he wasn't claimed, so all is well.

I was concerned that the referees had bet the under on goals tonight with the three overturned goals. The Laine goal was the most confusing to me. If all corners of the puck cross the line, but not at once (like what happened with the Laine goal), should it still count?

Captain Boone had himself a monster night. No notes, just vibes.

It felt great to see that we were the ones punking the other team, not the ones getting punked. We were more physical tonight than we ever were last year. That Lafreniere hit was hard to watch, but overall a positive for our style of play.

After 20 years of trying, 20 years of frustration, we finally got our power play to do something. I just about lost my mind.

David Jiricek's first of hopefully many NHL points. Honored to be able to watch that.

Have we thought of trying Jake Bean on the wing? He's been taking a lot of shots lately, more than a defenseman really would/should.

Third period was concerning. Felt like the status quo of last year: 15 of the 20 minutes were spent in our own zone. I absolutely hated it but at least it didn't lead to a total collapse.

Through two games, Elvis Merzlikins has a save percentage of .950. Is it too early to make a Vezina prediction? :sarcasm:

(in all seriousness, I hope he's okay, stomach bug sucks)

JimEIV

Feb 19, 2003
Hello, visitor from New Jersey.

Was wondering if you could tell me how Severson has looked. He was always one of my favorites, I know it's early but I was curious about first your impressions...I hope he's doing well for you.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

Was wondering if you could tell me how Severson has looked. He was always one of my favorites, I know it's early but I was curious about first your impressions...I hope he's doing well for you.
Hes been ok. Nothing special but not the worst player on the team by any means. Like many on the team it looks like hes still settling in. We are kind of waiting for the D pairs to sort themselves out also. With Werenski going down already and Peeke looking like trash early its been musical chairs for a couple games

Reactions: CBJx614 and JimEIV

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009

Haven’t really noticed him. Which I guess is good, but not great for someone with his salary.

Reactions: JimEIV

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad