GDT: Game 2 | New York Rangers @ Columbus | 7 PM EST

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
Elvis and Martin played really great, they were definitely the stars of the game for me. :thumbu:
Jiříček is our best RD.
This is the kind of Jack Bean play I expected. Now we have three excellent LD, three RH (Jiricek, Boqvist, Severson + Blankenburg in the AHL).

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
Only watched the last 30 mins of the game, but every line of ours seemed to be pinned in our zone no matter who was on the ice for NYR.
That was intended. You had a cold goalie out there and Pascal wanted a hold the line defensive setup for pretty much the entire 3rd period.

Reactions: Farmboy Patty

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
a win is a win. happy that we got our first and happy it came against a division opponent.

I said that Johnny needed to step up and he played better this game.

the next player I’d like to call out is Damon Severson. he has been bad. I wouldn’t say atrocious but I would absolutely say bad. he was touted as one of the best stretch passing defensemen coming into this season by a lot of people. I see none of that. his passes have been horrible. he looks like he has little confidence with the puck on his stick. hope this changes because he seems like a great teaammate

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Shots still most definitely matter. This team will lose 90% of the leads if they turtle and go -15 shots/period. Not a valid strategy to hold a lead.

I dont think it was strategy but only option after goalie change, that said I did not have change to watch the game, what happened to Elvis?

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I dont think it was strategy but only option after goalie change, that said I did not have change to watch the game, what happened to Elvis?
Illness...take that as you will.

Its a shame because he played so well you hate to see it end on a brown note.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Illness...take that as you will.

Its a shame because he played so well you hate to see it end on a brown note.

So he played two periods excellent and said hey coach im not feeling very well.. sounds extremely suspicous to me, hope its not serious

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
It feels very liberating to be able to enjoy a win again. Happy for Jiříček, Jenner and both goalies.

Also, I must say that I think the alternate jerseys are overrated. 😁

Last edited:

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
There's chemistry with these libest. Don't change a thing for the next game.

I was out tonight and missed the game, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the 4th line got acceptable results.

I'd get our scratches back in there and see how they react to it. Or in Bemstrom's case he was legit fine in the first game, seemingly much better than Foudy and Olivier were tonight. I understand Olivier might not be 100%, but all the more reason to rest him.

Jiříček is our best RD.

How did Jiricek manage to get such dreadful on ice stats?

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I really hope they are not going to be super passive when protecting the lead.

They just stopped playing in the 3rd

I have a mixed feeling about this game. We take two points, but we largely got outplayed, thankfully Boone scored everything he could score and we capitalized on the only chance we had in the third.

We might not get this lucky next time

In the 1st 40mins they really weren’t outplayed.

They just stopped playing in the 3rd with a 3 goal lead

Reactions: LJ7

spintheblackcircle

incoming!!!
Mar 1, 2002
There will be many ups and downs the 1st half of the season, so much turnover on and off the ice, I don't think we can expect any consistency right now.

I just want to see progress with young guys, settle on 6 defensemen and Elvis be at LEAST average the first half of the season.

DEF

Oct 24, 2008
White Castle's
Provorov looked good last night. We probably won't be able to resign him next year so I hope we get a good return at the deadline.

Reactions: Byrral

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Lucky to get the W. It seems there's a lot of work to be done in terms of learning the system and playing it with high pace. Breakout/transition game was one thing I didn't expect to look this terrible early on but man was I ever wrong. Lack of chemistry, turnovers and bad passes leading to icing calls was very uncomfortable to watch at times. I don't recall any Jackets defenseman not having a awful dzone giveaway in the game.

Their play with the puck was so bad compared to Rangers, who zipped the puck around like it was a video game, that I kind of understand the decision to have a passive forechecking game in the third protecting the lead -- whether it was intended or not. If you've struggled at completing two passes in a row to your teammates the entire game, I don't blame them if they consciously decided to practice dzone coverage, protecting leads and such defensive aspects for the rest of the game and just try to get 2 points.

PP lineups were:

---------- Texier
Fantilli - Danforth - Laine
--------- Severson

------------- Jenner
Gaudreau - Marchenko - Johnson
------------- Provorov

Vincent said in the post-game they are going to stick with them as long they work. They had one PP which was successful as Jenner redirected JG's shot/pass to the top corner in front of net.

In these type of setups where players on flank positions have their stick blades facing the board (Fantilli, Laine, JG), couple obvious advantages are that it 1) usually allows the halfwall player to have more movement before and after receiving the puck from the point guy. With a bit of momentum it is easier to open up shooting/passing lanes from there. 2) With stick facing the board players also have better/safer angle to make a deceptive cross-ice pass as opposed to when players are shooting/passing from their "onetimer" side.

(not the best example as there was no deflection and Texier doesn't make a cross-ice pass but I think it illustrates my point about halfwall player being in natural, forward movement):

I'd imagine that they're now to create a lot of similar plays that resulted in a PP goal last night, so mostly deflections (and shots through screens from Laine and Fantilli?) and less onetime plays.

Deflections:

Fantilli -> Texier
Severson -> Danforth, Texier
Laine -> Texier
Gaudreau -> Jenner
Provorov -> Marchenko, Jenner
Johnson ->Jenner

One timers:

Laine -> Danforth
Johnson -> Marchenko
Provorov -> Johnson

Last edited:

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
I was out tonight and missed the game, so correct me if I'm wrong, but it doesn't look like the 4th line got acceptable results.

I'd get our scratches back in there and see how they react to it. Or in Bemstrom's case he was legit fine in the first game, seemingly much better than Foudy and Olivier were tonight. I understand Olivier might not be 100%, but all the more reason to rest him.

How did Jiricek manage to get such dreadful on ice stats?
This is one of the mysteries of statistics. Compare Tex's.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
Provorov looked good last night. We probably won't be able to resign him next year so I hope we get a good return at the deadline.
Provorov is under contract for this season and next season (could not tell if you knew this based on your post). CBJ hardly have to rush into anything with him.

CBJx614

May 25, 2012
C-137
Eh, he has another season. He'll be safe this year. They might look to move him after Mateychuk earns his spot during camp though.

Reactions: Byrral

punk_o_holic

Mar 1, 2002
N. Vancouver, B.C.
So he played two periods excellent and said hey coach im not feeling very well.. sounds extremely suspicous to me, hope its not serious
I was watching on the Rangers feed and they did show a replay of Elvis skating off when the 2nd period ended. He was hunched over while he skated back on his own. But that doesn't mean your sick because you could do that if you're hurt as well. But to be fair, in the Canucks hope opener Demko was playing well and they had a big lead and they switched goalies. Coach explanation was he had the flu and vomited in his mask.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad