GDT: Game 2: Hawks @ Blues 2:00PM CDT (or is it game 3?)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Borsig

PoKechetkov
Nov 3, 2007
Low country coast
Backes Dirty?

You mean this guy?

icQtu.AuSt.98.jpg

The one that flew dogs out of Sochi and is the namesake of Athletes for animals?

Sorry. Not buying it.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Yeah we hear about how the NHL wants to get this type of hit but, it's a big name who plays on one of the NHL's darling teams. He should get 3-5 if they want to keep their word. He'll get 1.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
I agree. Ditto for Bickell. Blatant attempts to injure. Seabrook shoud be suspended for the rest of the playoffs for the cheap headshot he delivered on Backes. If Backes is out for any period of time, we will need to circle the wagons. Dude is the heart and soul of the Blues.

Backes is our captain and we love him, but Vladimir Tarasenko is the heart and soul of this team (imo). Backes missed time earlier in the year with a concussion, and the team stepped up and played some of their best hockey without him (or Steen at the time.) If anything I think Backes being out will fire up our boys, to win win win without him.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
I dont see Bickell getting any suspicion. someone will have to correct my memory here, but Dustin Brown had an even worse knee on ... Perron (I think) in the PO that received not a comment from the NHL.

Now, I hope I'm wrong. This should be what the NHL is trying to eliminate. The tape speaks for itself.

Tryblot

Oct 4, 2009
I love that Tarasenko deflects the credit from his goal to his teammates. Reading JRs tweet, he says Petro gave him the puck and Schwartz made a nice screen. Such a team player.

Last years playoffs we seen Schwartz' coming out party and this year it will be Tarasenko.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
It was the exact same play they didn't call Ott for when he slashed Toews.

The only iffy call was the one on Reaves. You have a known 4th line thug taking a borderline late run when the puck is obviously gone 2 minutes into the game. That's a call refs make early to try to keep things under control. Easy to see why it was made.

Breaking a stick on a player (or breaking another player's stick) is an auto-call. Tripping, hooking, and the like are always called tighter in the middle of the ice when there's a scoring opportunity for one team or the other.

Okay thank you, I always appreciate your insight. I understand a lot better now ;)

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Lol Pietrangelo in his own zone has been magical. I would say I couldn't believe someone can't realize that but the person that posted it doesn't realize a lot of things.

After the first period of game 1, Miller has been fantastic since.

Hooliganx3

Oct 28, 2010
I really think Tarasenko being back is the reason we are seeing such a big difference in the team. The kids a leader he leads my example.

RR10*

I would rather have lost the game and kept Backes for the seires/playoffs.
Don't forget that Seabrook will get suspended for a few games hopefully. If Backes is back for the next game it'll be huge for the Blues, but I expect he'll miss 1-2 games. Also Berglund is ready to go soon.

Without Backes:

Alexander Steen - Patrik Berglund - TJ Oshie
Jaden Schwartz - Vladimir Sobotka - Vladimir Tarasenko
Steve Ott - Derek Roy - Magnus Paajarvi
Chris Porter - Maxim Lapierre - Adam Cracknell

I'm a bit dissapointed in Reaves so far. He's useless when he's not playing his game. I expect more hits and dirty play.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Don't forget that Seabrook will get suspended for a few games hopefully. If Backes is back for the next game it'll be huge for the Blues, but I expect he'll miss 1-2 games. Also Berglund is ready to go soon.

Without Backes:

I'm a bit dissapointed in Reaves so far. He's useless when he's not playing his game. I expect more hits and dirty play.
What do you honestly expect Reaves to do? Almost anytime he crushes a 'Hawk he gets put in the penalty box (Toews, Roszival).

He's not going to get away with "dirty play". The refs know who Reaves is, if he levels a star player he's probably going to the box. It's dumb but that's the way it is.

ManyIdeas

Feb 14, 2012
St. Louis
What do you honestly expect Reaves to do? Almost anytime he crushes a 'Hawk he gets put in the penalty box (Toews, Roszival).

He's not going to get away with "dirty play". The refs know who Reaves is, if he levels a star player he's probably going to the box. It's dumb but that's the way it is.

That charging call on whoever the hell that was in the first couple of minutes is the perfect example.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I'm so happy for you that you got to take your son, and be at yet another memorable OT win for the good guys. I bet the smile on your sons face is from ear to ear. Really happy you got to make the long trip, and see the team step up big again tonight!!

He got a high five from Oshie as he ran onto the ice for warmups. tarasenkos goal just exploded the arena. I was so angry. And then so proud of the team for finding a way to win it.

I think the Blackhawks know they were outplayed (more than the scoreboard showed) and that the dirty plays reflect desperation on their part. Queue Miller to steal next game. If there is any justice in this universe, the Blues take this series. Really I want a freaking sweep....but it's hard to imagine the Blackhawks going out like that. Way too much talent and experience.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
I hate to say it but Backes is out for this entire series and maybe longer. He lost conciousness and that is not a good sign. I would say a minimum of two weeks if I am guessing. Not worth the game 2 win. I would rather have lost the game and kept Backes for the seires/playoffs. However this team showed what it was made of. We had to find a way to win that game after that hit or this series was over. Great composure and character showed by the Blues today.

The only thing that losing consciousness would mean is that he absolutely has a concussion (which is obvious anyway). The severity doesn't really come into it; you can be knocked out for a few minutes and come away with a slight concussion and you can get right back up and have a severe concussion. There isn't a direct correlation. I'd be more worried if he was conscious the entire time and got up in the manner he did.

As for others talking about his concussion earlier in the year, I wouldn't read too much into that. The biggest worry is getting a concussion while still having symptoms from a prior concussion. That was a slight concussion and the symptoms had long stopped. Obviously you don't want players having so many, but even the best neurosurgeon on the planet would just be guessing about when that becomes a factor for any individual. We just don't understand brain injuries.

He is obviously not playing on Monday. I'm not expecting him back this series, but you just never know.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014

Without Backes:

Reaves brings more to this lineup than Paajarvi does. Reaves + Ott make for a strong forecheck, PRV + Ott does not. And Paajarvi has the worst shot on the team, probably worse than Reaves at this point. No one on Chicago is impressed or fooled by his speed. Reaves can screen better too.

We don't need that line to be run-n-gun. Just look at how much damage Bickell did tonight: that's what we need Reaves to do.

medkit

Mar 22, 2014
The severity doesn't really come into it; you can be knocked out for a few minutes and come away with a slight concussion and you can get right back up and have a severe concussion. There isn't a direct correlation. I'd be more worried if he was conscious the entire time and got up in the manner he did.

When your head goes 0 (prehit) to 60 (post-hit) back to 0 mph (hits glass) what do you think your brain does? Smoosh smoosh. Just look at how quickly his head is snapping back and forth in the video. That is two bad impacts. I expect his season is done and will take anything else as bonus.

iFan

May 5, 2013
Calgary
Dirty hit on Backes, see the Hawks are also trying to take your players knees out too, their pretty protected by the league so don't expect much help. Take the series, hope Backes comes back but man I'd think he'll be out for awhile, tough dude to get up and off by himself after that cheap dirty hit. ****** to see that hit and the kneeing.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Hilarious how Hawks fans view us as the goons.

**** that team. Duncan Keith is a piece of crap.

MattDolton

Oct 9, 2011
Hudson Bay, Sask
I dont get the Bickel hate, hes not a dirty guy, hes a hard nosed crash and bang guy yes, but not for a second do i think he intended to lead with his knee on Sobotka, he got dangled and tried to transfer his weight and unfortunately there was a knee on knee, Seabrook on the other hand, that was direct contact to the head, not only did he not let up, he absolutely leveled him, thats textbook, he.ll get suspended, but only for one if i had to guess, hawks are right up there with the pens as the leagues little poster boy teams, they wont punish them more than needed.

McDooRoo

Feb 24, 2013
Wyoming
Hawks fan that comes in peace. Not all of us are what y'all say we are.

The Seabs hit on Backes was dirty and I've spent half the night arguing it with some Hawks fans. I'm not a Backes fan and do think he plays dirty at times, but I don't like anybody getting hit dirty and Seabs' hit was dirty dirty. If it was up to me Seabs would get 5 games

That knee on knee by Bickell was dirty too. But, I don't think he'll get any games.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad