GDT: Game #2 | Detroit Red Wings @ Carolina Hurricanes | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Agreed. I guess I don't understand why Miller gets so little love on these boards - I've been saying since I signed up here over three years ago that he's a really good PKer and a guy I'm in no hurry to see replaced.

I get that we want to see Nyquist and Tatar play every game but they have different roles on the team and wouldn't be replacing Miller.

I think Nyquist could PK, and that Tatar did PK in GR. The regular season is good for experimenting, I'd run Nyquist-Andersson and Tatar-Emmerton out as PK pairs for a bit and see how they do. That said, you could just as easily keep Miller in the lineup if you're willing to sit two of Cleary/Sammy/Bert, and those first two haven't exactly melted the ice with hot play.

Bert's played well, but he desperately needs someone on his line who can consistently gain the zone.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think it's getting obvious Quincey needs to start tweaking his style and focus more on being a good stay at home.

I think he is what he is. He's venturing up a bit more this year than last, but he's not exactly taking a ton of chances out there. He's just mediocre in his own zone when he's under a bit of pressure.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
Drew miller gets way too much love on these boards.

Trust me, that will change if he's kept on the roster when he's no longer adding any value and prevents a young, top end prospect from making the roster. For now he's a very solid role player with a very cap friendly deal. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Miller might be our most underrated player. I like seeing him get defended in this thread, but he's actually a very good fourth liner. I thought that him and Eaves were awesome on the PK and fourth line at the end of last season and think Miller has been great so far this season in his role. He seems to be a name guys throw around to replace because he's not indispensable and people are hellbent on getting Tatar and Gus up (rightfully so) but I don't think Miller is a guy we want to see replaced. Sammy, Bert, and Cleary... those are the spots I'd like to see taken over. Emmerton too, but that's a different role obviously.

His name gets thrown around because he might actually be movable.

Who is going to take Sammy, Bert, Cleary from us even if we wanted them gone? Hell, even Eaves? He seems to get injured too much, I'm sure that makes teams wary.

But a solid 3/4 liner with good PK ability and will pot a few goals along the way? At his cap hit? I'm sure there's a few teams out there willing to take him.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Trust me, that will change if he's kept on the roster when he's no longer adding any value and prevents a young, top end prospect from making the roster. For now he's a very solid role player with a very cap friendly deal. There's absolutely nothing wrong with that.

All this. He's got 2 more years on that deal after this season right? Jurco and Mantha will have to wait. Ferraro and Sheahan should be on the team next year to replace Bert and Sammy.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
All this. He's got 2 more years on that deal after this season right? Jurco and Mantha will have to wait. Ferraro and Sheahan should be on the team next year to replace Bert and Sammy.

Yeah, he's got two years remaining. If we could clear Bert, Sammy and Cleary off the roster it would open up the log jam and allow our top end prospects to continue to develop against the best talent in the world.

Chance on Chance

Jul 15, 2009
Canada

In 2 years we have jurco, Jarnkrok and pulu out of waiver options sooooooooo well need to do something

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Miller is a victim of circumstances. The lack of roster spots and his long term contract for a bottom six player, tend to annoy people. I have no problem with him, but i would have no problem replacing him with Nyquist, even though Miller is really good at what he does and you would lose a valuable PK'er.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
Yeah Miller is not the worst forward the wings currently have, he's actually usefull, but there is those NTC's...

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
In 2 years we have jurco, Jarnkrok and pulu out of waiver options sooooooooo well need to do something

Like 5 guys come off the books after this year. As long as Holland doesn't do anything monumentally stupid again, we should have plenty of room.

The main problem is I don't consider it a great idea to add in 5 rookies at the same time. But this is the grave he dug.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
Miller is a good 4th liner and PKer. My point was just guys like him are extremely replaceable. Via either free agency or promoting players.

Boomhower

Aug 23, 2003
Ontario
Visit site
Also, Kindl-Dekeyser has been used as the second pairing in both games while Smith-Quincey have been the 3rd pairing. That's reversed from last season.

... Despite Kindl being awful. Man this guy doesn't know the definition of a safe breakout pass and is one of the biggest cowards D men in the league. Always 'lets up' in foot races going back for the puck... just loves being that second man in so he doesn't have to take a hit.

Cyborg Yzerberg

Nov 8, 2007
Philadelphia
... Despite Kindl being awful. Man this guy doesn't know the definition of a safe breakout pass and is one of the biggest cowards D men in the league. Always 'lets up' in foot races going back for the puck... just loves being that second man in so he doesn't have to take a hit.

Kindl? Awful? I scoff at you, sir.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad