GDT: Game #2 | Detroit Red Wings @ Carolina Hurricanes | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

theYman

Feb 28, 2008
Damnit wish I wasn't at work. Sounds like they pulled it out in OT. Weiss huh? Nice. Weiss is nice. Hopefully he can keep it up.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Kronwall has looked good in both games I think. Ericsson is still chasing a bit.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Kronwall has looked good in both games I think. Ericsson is still chasing a bit.

Over the past year or so, Kronwall has increasingly looked like he's getting the hang of just chilling the **** out. I suppose that just comes with maturity, but he looks a hell of a lot better than he did at the beginning of last season. He's letting the play come to him now, and his offense isn't suffering.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I thought Gator looked a lot more competent after he scored. It was only for about 4-5 minutes, but it was noticeable. He still doesn't belong on the first line.

Gator worked hard and threw some hits. Still made some silly mistakes. Compete level was good, that's all I ask from him. Really liked him with Miller and Joker. That's a solid 4th line.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
I thought Gator looked a lot more competent after he scored. It was only for about 4-5 minutes, but it was noticeable. He still doesn't belong on the first line.

I thought he started look good as soon as Wings started to pouring out. Abby was trying to play his role bit too much to a T prior to that.

I understand why Babcock wants to rotate Cleary with Abby since Abby was too focused on that role and did not really contribute much. Cleary provides similar service while had played with Pav or Z before.

It's still early to give up on that combo IMO. I would give more time so every1 figures each out. Games like buffalo don't really do any good building real chemistry.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site

Hes looked a lot better as time goes on, playing with Datsyuk and Zetterberg. He just needed to find his niche. In other words, he just needed to learn how to stay out of the way.

Unfortunately, I will probably always resent him, since he has been given about 100+ games and every prime opportunity to succeed and develop into a player of consequence. Babcock has given him golden opportunity after golden opportunity, whereas he's put guys like Tatar and Nyquist - two players immensely more talented than Abdelkader - through the wringer to get basic icetime, let alone prime icetime with two of the most talented players in the league.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
I thought he started look good as soon as Wings started to pouring out. Abby was trying to play his role bit too much to a T prior to that.

I understand why Babcock wants to rotate Cleary with Abby since Abby was too focused on that role and did not really contribute much. Cleary provides similar service while had played with Pav or Z before.

It's still early to give up on that combo IMO. I would give more time so every1 figures each out. Games like buffalo don't really do any good building real chemistry.

And what's that? Gator can skate and hit.

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Nyquist had 3 points tonight in GR

Get Tatar and Nyquist up and get rid of Samuelsson/Miller and we are going to be REALLY tough to beat. Or Bertuzzi. Definitely Cleary but u know that'll never happen

Yzerman1919*

Feb 10, 2013
Nothing is wrong with Miller. But there is a hell of a lot more wrong when those 3-4 guys are taking spots away from Nyquist and Tatar. Imagine those 2 in the lineup also, we are lookin "realgud"

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Nothing is wrong with Miller. But there is a hell of a lot more wrong when those 3-4 guys are taking spots away from Nyquist and Tatar. Imagine those 2 in the lineup also, we are lookin "realgud"

I agree, I'd just rather other players be replaced before him. He offers more than others. However, we all know the deal. As long as Tatar and Nyquist get in I really don't care who sits.

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Honestly I can see Abby being a solid player this year. I think if he continues to develop with the combination of playing Tats and Gus... we can be a force.

This team has heart obviously , just need that young speed.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

Gator played well tonight, Cleary doesn't provide something similar there anymore. Gator has made some pretty strong improvements to his game, while not perfect, he is better than the Cleary, Bert or Sammy option, love when he rag-dolled Eric Staal at one point, twice found Datsyuk in the slot where he fumbled the puck surprisingly. Really don't think I have seen Datsyuk struggle to control the puck too often like he did tonight, not his best game. Was magnificent on zone entries though which we really needed tonight.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
I agree, I'd just rather other players be replaced before him. He offers more than others. However, we all know the deal. As long as Tatar and Nyquist get in I really don't care who sits.

There are easily 3 players I'd rather sit before Miller. 5 if we count some injured guys.

TatarTangle

Sep 28, 2011
Detroit
Was only able to catch the last 10 minutes, which from what I heard, is all I needed to see.

Nyquist and Tatar will get their time, not as much as we'd like, but they'll get their time. Sammy, Cleary and Bertuzzi aren't going to be everyday players throughout the season. One of them is bound to get hurt too. Until then, I'll enjoy watching the Red Wings win hockey games.

PullHard

Jul 18, 2007
I only saw from the last ~5:00 mins of the 2nd period until the end. I basically turned it on when Gerbe scored his goal to put the Canes up 2-0.

Gotta give the team a ton of credit for mounting that comeback. It isn't everyday you see the Wings score with the extra attacker. I donno if it is just me being tough on the team as a fan, but I'd say Detroit is fairly notorious for not scoring with an empty net, and rather getting scored on in those situations. Where as when I watch a team like say San Jose in that situation, they are pouring pressure onto their opponent. So it was nice to see us doing that tonight. I really like Alfredsson. Our 2nd line actually has some weapons this year. Nice change of pace after last year. And Weiss's first shift in OT was like "lol what are you doing???" so I'm glad to see him go out there and go straight to the net to end it on his next go.

sepster

Gerard Gallant is my Spirit Animal
Aug 19, 2005
North of the 'D"

Somebody has to be capable of killing penalties on this team. That certainly isn't Bert, Cleary or Sammy and I would rather not wear out D, Z and Franzen with it. Miller is probably the Wings best strictly defensive forward.

Sammy and Cleary are much more useless and much more deserving of getting bounced than Miller.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
There are easily 3 players I'd rather sit before Miller. 5 if we count some injured guys.

Miller might be our most underrated player. I like seeing him get defended in this thread, but he's actually a very good fourth liner. I thought that him and Eaves were awesome on the PK and fourth line at the end of last season and think Miller has been great so far this season in his role. He seems to be a name guys throw around to replace because he's not indispensable and people are hellbent on getting Tatar and Gus up (rightfully so) but I don't think Miller is a guy we want to see replaced. Sammy, Bert, and Cleary... those are the spots I'd like to see taken over. Emmerton too, but that's a different role obviously.

Tomas W

Oct 23, 2007
Sweden
It's pains me to know that this team that is already good, could have been even better without Sammy and Cleary and WITH Tatar and Nyquist. We would have so much skill! Damn.

Zetterberg looks like to be in great shape. Lungs of a 25 year old athlete.

Bert looks decent, at least compared with Cleary and Sammy.

Alfie is a bit snake bitten...but it wont last, he will score a lot this year.

Our D looks decent (impressed by big E) and Howard plays well.

Weiss got good vision and puckcontroll, perhaps a bit weak on the puck protection side.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
If our bottom six was Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar Bertuzzi-Emmerton-Sammy we would be extremely difficult to play against. There would be no defense against our depth.

I think when the playoffs start this is our roster:

Zetts-Dats-Abs
Franzen-Weiss-Alfie
Nyquist-Andersson-Tatar
Miller-Helm/Sheahan-Bertuzzi
Cleary hurt
Sammy hurt
Emmerton waived

Kronwall-E
Kindl-Sproul
Smith-Dekeyser
Quincey

This is if the management gets their heads out of their butts in time for the playoffs.

SoupNazi

Serenity now. Insanity later.
Feb 6, 2010
Miller might be our most underrated player. I like seeing him get defended in this thread, but he's actually a very good fourth liner. I thought that him and Eaves were awesome on the PK and fourth line at the end of last season and think Miller has been great so far this season in his role. He seems to be a name guys throw around to replace because he's not indispensable and people are hellbent on getting Tatar and Gus up (rightfully so) but I don't think Miller is a guy we want to see replaced. Sammy, Bert, and Cleary... those are the spots I'd like to see taken over. Emmerton too, but that's a different role obviously.

Agreed. I guess I don't understand why Miller gets so little love on these boards - I've been saying since I signed up here over three years ago that he's a really good PKer and a guy I'm in no hurry to see replaced.

I get that we want to see Nyquist and Tatar play every game but they have different roles on the team and wouldn't be replacing Miller.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad