GDT: Game #2 | Detroit Red Wings @ Carolina Hurricanes | 7:00 PM EST | FS-D

Status
Not open for further replies.

ArGarBarGar

What do we want!? Unfair!
Sep 8, 2008
Franzen looked off from what I saw from him except that one play at the end where he actually crashed the net and took any attention from Weiss for the tap in.

Can't comment much about the game since I missed the first two periods, but glad we got out from a 2-0 deficit to win. Alfredsson looked great and probably should have potted one there.

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Pretty meh game. Glad we won. Still wan't Babcock gone after tonight's stunt. More to come. Reality check tomorrow night against Boston.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Pretty meh game. Glad we won. Still wan't Babcock gone after tonight's stunt. More to come. Reality check tomorrow night against Boston.

You know you don't have to put an apostrophe in the word "want". :sarcasm:

TKB

Jun 12, 2010
Chicago
This, and not that you will care but demoting our lone goal scorer for Cleary in the dying minutes infuriated me as well. Still nice to pull one out, also glad to see in empty net situations that Weiss gets the call over Cleary in our six man unit. But Babs needs to do something about that bottom six, they looked terrible especially the third line, might have been one of Andersson's worst games in a Wings jersey way to careless with the puck for me.

I think that might have been more about trying to energize the 3rd line than it was a demotion for 8 or reward to 71.

I thought 4th line was okay. Emmerton much better on the face-offs.

To me it is the 3rd line that is brutal.

Weiss and Alfie both look good, just don't seem to click together just yet.

JPE123

Jan 23, 2013
This game kind of sums up what I always felt was the difference between the East and the West in the past decade or so. With a 2-0 or 2-1 lead, the Western teams shutter up their zone and the game turns into a dump-and-chase snoozefest. Tonight was a perfect example of one of the many "dramatic" comebacks that seem commonplace in the East but scarce in the West.

Very true

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
Wings defenseman are really hurting the offense. They aren't waiting for any forwards to crash the net before they shoot the puck. I was really hoping that trend wouldn't continue this year.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Babcock said Franzen was the key to his line. Well, it's Franzen bringing it down right now the way I see it. He made a nice drive on the GWG, but all in all he didn't do a damn thing right tonight.

ArGarBarGar

Sep 8, 2008
Wings defenseman are really hurting the offense. They aren't waiting for any forwards to crash the net before they shoot the puck. I was really hoping that trend wouldn't continue this year.

I think the bigger issue lies in their own zone. You have Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen unable to generate offense in the offensive zone for a shift because you botch an easy breakout and force them to play defense in a 30 second scramble.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Both Sammy and Emmerton were basically stapled to the bench in the 3rd period. The same thing happened against Buffalo. I think they'll either bench Emmerton like they did against Anaheim last year in game 7 in the playoffs and just rotate the wingers across 3 lines or simply swap Sammy for Tatar.

Z was outstanding tonight with 10 shots on goal. They carried play for most of the night so it was nice to see them rewarded with a win, especially with a tough game in a back to back against Boston on deck.

Roy S

May 16, 2009
Also, Kindl-Dekeyser has been used as the second pairing in both games while Smith-Quincey have been the 3rd pairing. That's reversed from last season.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Carolina played one heck of game. you need give credit to them as well. They tried very hard to win tonight.

good job by the captain. He carried the team allnight. Nice response by the team in the 3rd as well and in the last minute.

Datsyuk was really tightly checked, he was turning the puck over too much.

It was a good game for Alfie. this is the kind of game where you build chemistry. obviously Weiss was huge as well.

Our bottom D pairs weren't really connecting very well but they weren't too bad. At least they are not taking a step back from the last season.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I think the bigger issue lies in their own zone. You have Zetterberg, Datsyuk and Franzen unable to generate offense in the offensive zone for a shift because you botch an easy breakout and force them to play defense in a 30 second scramble.

Yeah, our blueline always seems to be one forechecker away from turning the puck into a hand grenade. Kronwall-Dekeyser and E-Smith looked promising, but Q-anyone looks like a disaster from shift to shift.

Interesting to note that Samuelsson got VERY little ice time in the 2nd and 3rd. Wouldn't be surprised to see him out for Tatar against Boston.

maybe he hurt his boobs again.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Both Sammy and Emmerton were basically stapled to the bench in the 3rd period. The same thing happened against Buffalo. I think they'll either bench Emmerton like they did against Anaheim last year in game 7 in the playoffs and just rotate the wingers across 3 lines or simply swap Sammy for Tatar.

Z was outstanding tonight with 10 shots on goal. They carried play for most of the night so it was nice to see them rewarded with a win, especially with a tough game in a back to back against Boston on deck.

Won't go three centers in the regular season.

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I thought Gator looked a lot more competent after he scored. It was only for about 4-5 minutes, but it was noticeable. He still doesn't belong on the first line.

Yemack

Oct 30, 2007
Yeah, our blueline always seems to be one forechecker away from turning the puck into a hand grenade. Kronwall-Dekeyser and E-Smith looked promising, but Q-anyone looks like a disaster from shift to shift.

I think it's getting obvious Quincey needs to start tweaking his style and focus more on being a good stay at home.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad