GDT: Game 18: Germany Vs Russia | 9AM EST 3PM CET | RUS 6 - 1 GER

wacko2

Dec 28, 2019
various
No dumb penalties for Russia yet, a key will be their discipline and good goaltending so far as well.

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
Avoiding finland should be a goal for Canada today.

Well, they need to start playing consistently.

Winning is the goal, but just as important is steady improvement. They can't afford a set-back with the medal round so close.

Their confidence took a big blow and I still think it's a bit fragile. The Germany game was a solid win but there is still a lot of room to improve.

Reactions: Star Ocean

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Absolutely.

How good is this Canada? How much do they care about winning today?
They better care, a win means first in the group.

I really don't know how good this Team Canada is, I said maybe bronze before the tournament began and from what I have seen I would say best case scenario is silver but they will need a fair bit of those bounces that we talked about to go their way to get to the gold medal game.

I really don't think they have what it takes to nail down gold.

Reactions: wacko2

NyQuil

Big F$&*in Q
Jan 5, 2005
Ottawa, ON
I really don't think they have what it takes to nail down gold.

We've had some less skilled teams in the past and it's taken the best goaltender in the tournament.

Seems like a long time ago.

Growing up, one thing you could always count on was the quality of Canadian goaltending in all international tournaments.

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Finland is canadas crypronite. Not sweden.

To date in this tournament Sweden has been better than Canada, I would try to avoid that one as well.

I get the point, the USA has been a boogeyman for Sweden in terms of some matchups scare or make you more comfortable. However, I just think winning is pretty important for Canada today.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
We've had some less skilled teams in the past and it's taken the best goaltender in the tournament.

Seems like a long time ago.

Growing up, one thing you could always count on was the quality of Canadian goaltending in all international tournaments.
You're bang on here. I can't go on about goaltending and inability to hold down leads the last few years anymore then I have without coming across sounding like a badly scratched Johnny Paycheck album.

I almost think we have to play a tight defensive counterattacking system with this team this year considering it's problems. Think outside the box and try to out coach rather then out talent the opposition this year( because I don't think we can out talent them) That is what a guy like Jalonen does so well.
I mean, with the style of play we are playing I don't think we will win, we simply can't outscore or out goalie the huge amount of offensive chances we have been and will keep giving up, especially if we don't have Lafreniere.

And I don't think Hunter is any Jalonen sadly.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Finland is canadas cryptonite. Not sweden.
Nah, a little more then usual lately but of course that is because they are far better then they have ever been but they are not any more our kryptonite then any other of the big five.

Finland is just winning more against EVERYBODY more then they ever have because they are better then they ever have been.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad