GDT: GAME 18: Bruins @ Avalanche | 11/14/18 | 20:00 MT | Battle of Cheatcodes

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
One thing that has been concerning lately is MacKinnon's laziness in the defensive zone. I don't remember him being that way last season, hopefully Bednar can snap it outta him. It isn't all about offense Nate.

It is by design to have MacKinnon cover the high slot and point in the d zone so he can get great rushes up the ice when the avs get possession back. Additionally the other guys on his line both have experience playing center and are fully capable of playing that role down in the low slot and behind the net just fine. Last night MacKinnon had three takeaways, which led both teams in that category

Reactions: New Scotlander

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
Surprisingly good night for faceoffs. Kerfoot has been very good and Kamenev is over 50% now for the season and 60% in the defensive zone.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I like seeing they went 3-for-3 on the power play.

In regards to Wilson and Barberio, yes, both were bad penalties, stupid even, but Wilson's was pretty accidental, he just got his stick tangled up there, he needs to be better about that but it happens. Barberio was apparently taking exception to something a Bruins player did right before he laid that cross check on him, which I'm sure Bednar still didn't like but at least he was sticking up for a teammate in that instance. By that rationale I can see why he let those two guys slide a bit and came down hard on Zadorov. Also, as someone else pointed out, this isn't the first time Zads has taken a dumb and unnecessary penalty in times the team had the momentum.

I kinda think it was pretty harsh on Bednar's part, we'll see how Big Z responds.

Lastly, I don't know exactly what's changed but right now Kerfoot is proving me wrong on the he-can't-play-center thing. I still think he's better off as a winger but the 13-17 dynamic looks way better with Jost on the wing and Kerf at center, at least right now. I hope this allays fears that Kerfoot was or wasn't going to evolve his game. He clearly has.

Thepoolmaster

Dec 3, 2011
Posted in the wrong thread before

If anyone has a subscription to the athletic there's a really good article about MacKinnon taking on the Bruins top line.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Posted in the wrong thread before

If anyone has a subscription to the athletic there's a really good article about MacKinnon taking on the Bruins top line.

Seconded. Great insight as to the overall strategy Bednar and the coaching staff have built exclusively with that line. Basically they're getting Nate involved more defensively while not having him play down too low in his own zone, among other things.

Reactions: Thepoolmaster

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
When the top line is dominating, almost no one can stop this team. This is a problem when they don’t score, but fortunately they’re so good they can find that gear more often than not.

Ian Cole was just a beast again. It’s so easy to respect the hell out of the way he plays. Just 100% effort in every situation, and it leads to some big moment changing/stabalizing moments. So many great defensive plays every game. He’s quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Avalanche. Hopefully he can keep up even close to this level of play through his contract.

Girard somewhat quietly with another amazing game. He just has such a great combo of insane talent and insane vision. He has the vision to see plays develop and the talent to pull off the plays everyone else realizes they should have made when they get back to the bench.

G standing on his tippy toes to see the play Bednar was drawing up late in the third was absolutely hilarious.

Barberio might have played his best game as an Av. He was just all over the ice. Making great plays in all three zones. Looked like he had his career in mind with that game tonight. Good for him to come up big when he needed it.

Not sure why Zadorov’s leash was so short in this one. To end up with 7 minutes in ice time because of a soft interference penalty, after playing so well lately, is a pretty questionable coaching decision to say the least IMO. He deserved better after the way he’s been playing.

The two snails in Jost and EJ were flying out there. Looking like they had something to prove. This team will completely change if they can find the level they’re capable of playing.

What else can you say about Mikko Rantanen? Who would have thought this time last year that he might have a chance at a Hart trophy before MacKinnon? The skill level is just off the chart.

Drawing three players to him and passing to Nate was nice enough, but that play to dance through the neutral zone and pass through stick and skate to MacKinnon off the rush at full speed, while sticks are coming within inches of knocking the puck away, was some LIndros’esque stuff from the big man.

This is such a fun team to watch when the top line is on their game.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
When the top line is dominating, almost no one can stop this team. This is a problem when they don’t score, but fortunately they’re so good they can find that gear more often than not.

Ian Cole was just a beast again. It’s so easy to respect the hell out of the way he plays. Just 100% effort in every situation, and it leads to some big moment changing/stabalizing moments. So many great defensive plays every game. He’s quickly becoming one of my all time favorite Avalanche. Hopefully he can keep up even close to this level of play through his contract.

Girard somewhat quietly with another amazing game. He just has such a great combo of insane talent and insane vision. He has the vision to see plays develop and the talent to pull off the plays everyone else realizes they should have made when they get back to the bench.

G standing on his tippy toes to see the play Bednar was drawing up late in the third was absolutely hilarious.

Barberio might have played his best game as an Av. He was just all over the ice. Making great plays in all three zones. Looked like he had his career in mind with that game tonight. Good for him to come up big when he needed it.

Not sure why Zadorov’s leash was so short in this one. To end up with 7 minutes in ice time because of a soft interference penalty, after playing so well lately, is a pretty questionable coaching decision to say the least IMO. He deserved better after the way he’s been playing.

The two snails in Jost and EJ were flying out there. Looking like they had something to prove. This team will completely change if they can find the level they’re capable of playing.

What else can you say about Mikko Rantanen? Who would have thought this time last year that he might have a chance at a Hart trophy before MacKinnon? The skill level is just off the chart.

Drawing three players to him and passing to Nate was nice enough, but that play to dance through the neutral zone and pass through stick and skate to MacKinnon off the rush at full speed, while sticks are coming within inches of knocking the puck away, was some LIndros’esque stuff from the big man.

This is such a fun team to watch when the top line is on their game.

Yup, he's been awesome. I'm hoping that he can mentor Z a bit on how to play and defend as I see them as similar-ish players with Z having more pure talent, but both are big physical shutdown types.

Reactions: Waingro

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Rewatching the game now and it seems like we won nearly every faceoff. Anyone have the numbers on that? Girard on his tippy toes trying to see the play was hilarious. Calvert and Barberio smacking the puck at the same time was hilarious. Wilson fumbling and bumbling that 2 on 1 is still not funny it was pathetic.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Rewatching the game now and it seems like we won nearly every faceoff. Anyone have the numbers on that? Girard on his tippy toes trying to see the play was hilarious. Calvert and Barberio smacking the puck at the same time was hilarious. Wilson fumbling and bumbling that 2 on 1 is still not funny it was pathetic.

He's still playing out of his depth there. It'd be nice if we could see him play the role he was supposed to play when the Avs acquired him in the first place. Injuries and illness derailed his first season to where he was only effective as a 4th line guy, now injuries to everyone else is forcing the team to play him on the 2nd line. I think he'd make for a very effective 3rd line with Soda and Dries/whoever if people would get back in the f***ing lineup and actually stay there.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016

At some point in the 2nd we were at like 91% FO’s won. Then we started losing a bunch throughout the end of the 2nd and 3rd. And no coincidence we started dominating :sarcasm:

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Z's penalty was of the worst possible kind... you just score and you have momentum building for the first time in a while. Then he takes a unnecessary and stupid penalty on a 4th liner to put out one of the most dangerous PP units in the league. That just the absolute worst kind of penalty to take in a really bad situation.

You're completely exaggerating how bad that penalty was. It was a borderline interference penalty that players get away with all the time.

He's taken TWO penalties in his last six games. Both borderline interference and not even in the realm of bench worthy. If you're asking a defensemen to play the kind of physical game, you have to expect those kind of penalties every once in a while.

MacKinnon's interference penalty slashing the stick away from the Canuck player, Cole's interference penalty cross checking the Canuck players head into the goal post, Kamenev's holding penalty against the Preds, Dries boarding penalty against the Jets, Calvert's trip against the Oilers were all way worse than either of Zadorov's two interference penalties in the last six games.

It was as much Wagner falling backwards to buy a call once he felt contact and laying on the ice, as it was Zadorov interfering with him. Wagner hooks his left arm under Z's arm and then just falls back. Z didn't actually use that much force until Wagner was already horizontal and falling to the ice.

Last edited:

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You're completely exaggerating how bad that penalty was. It was a borderline interference penalty that players get away with all the time.

He's taken TWO penalties in his last six games. Both borderline interference and not even in the realm of bench worthy. If you're asking a defensemen to play the kind of physical game, you have to expect those kind of penalties every once in a while.

MacKinnon's interference penalty slashing the stick away from the Canuck player, Cole's interference penalty cross checking the Canuck players head into the goal post, Kamenev's holding penalty against the Preds, Dries boarding penalty against the Jets, Calvert's trip against the Oilers were all way worse than either of Zadorov's two interference penalties in the last six games.

It was as much Wagner falling backwards to buy a call once he felt contact, as it was Zadorov interfering with him. He didn't actually use that much force.

Ehhhhh he used plenty of force and drove him into the ice for good measure. You make it sound like Wagner embellished but I'm not seeing that. It was a bad penalty to take. Keep in mind Bednar hasn't punished him for other penalties he's taken, like when he ran down a player right in front of the Avs bench (can't recall which game that was but it was in retaliation for something IIRC). That one though, he clearly didn't like.

And come on, we all know Nate's gonna have more leeway when it comes to mistakes and bad judgment. :laugh:

hooverdam

Feb 21, 2013
At some point in the 2nd we were at like 91% FO’s won. Then we started losing a bunch throughout the end of the 2nd and 3rd. And no coincidence we started dominating :sarcasm:

There were a few times when they won the faceoff (usually Kerfoot's line) and then immediately lost the puck to the Bruins because they all just looked so shocked they actually won it and couldn't quite figure out what to do. I have to think they practice a ton for scenarios where they lose the faceoff and have comparatively left out the winning scenarios :laugh:

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Ehhhhh he used plenty of force and drove him into the ice for good measure. You make it sound like Wagner embellished but I'm not seeing that. It was a bad penalty to take. Keep in mind Bednar hasn't punished him for other penalties he's taken, like when he ran down a player right in front of the Avs bench (can't recall which game that was but it was in retaliation for something IIRC). That one though, he clearly didn't like.

And come on, we all know Nate's gonna have more leeway when it comes to mistakes and bad judgment. :laugh:

I think Wagner did embellish. You can see it better in the corner camera. There's no way Wagner's balance is that bad, and he's hooking Zadorov's arm as he falls. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. He got slightly off balance in a battle to the front of the net, and then just went horizontal falling to the ice, and just laid there. If you watch Z he's not actually pushing him or using any real strength until Wagner is already horizontal.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Personally I think the penalty was BS and shouldn't have been punished harshly for it.

However I'm no coach, maybe this is the best way to get to Z, not sure.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Yup, he's been awesome. I'm hoping that he can mentor Z a bit on how to play and defend as I see them as similar-ish players with Z having more pure talent, but both are big physical shutdown types.
I think they had that in mind when signing Cole and perhaps why Zadorov is playing less

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
It was a penalty no doubt and at a bad time but Wilsons o zone penalty was even worse and his reward was pp time and consistent shifts. Its f***ery at the highest level. It should be accountability for all. Some guys get a longer leash I get that but guys like Colin Wilson don't have a leash. They are free range dogs free to do whatever.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
Yeah I was keeping an eye on the face off % as well. It was 10-1 after the 1st and 14-3 early into the 2nd .

That would be huge if we could win more faceoffs consistently. It's really annoying chasing the puck after every face off time and time again.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

McMetal

Writer of Wrongs
Sep 29, 2015
Yeah I was keeping an eye in the face off % as well. It was 10-1 after the 1st and 14-3 early into the 2nd .

That would be huge if we could win more faceoffs consistently. It's really annoying chasing the puck after every face off time and time again.
I was sure it was a glitch when it said we were at 90+% on the jumbotron, that's very encouraging to see them actually beating vet guys, maybe this is a sign that they're pulling it together.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I think Wagner did embellish. You can see it better in the corner camera. There's no way Wagner's balance is that bad, and he's hooking Zadorov's arm as he falls. It's one of the oldest tricks in the book. He got slightly off balance in a battle to the front of the net, and then just went horizontal falling to the ice, and just laid there. If you watch Z he's not actually pushing him or using any real strength until Wagner is already horizontal.

Well, Z still went with the follow-through all the way down to the ice so if there was embellishment, Z didn't do much to indicate that it was. In any event, I felt the benching was a bit harsh, but not wholly unjustified.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Nathan Rudolph noted on Twitter that the team of late has looked a lot better with breakouts and defensive zone puck movement, especially against an aggressive forecheck. I still feel they don't chip enough pucks behind the defense and use their speedy forwards to create odd-man breaks, but it's happening more often at least.

They're also becoming a little better with puck movement up-ice on the power play. It's not always drop-pass-to-Nate-and-entry-pass-to-Landeskog every time. They're moving the puck around a lot more, and aren't completely against dumping it in.

If I had one complaint it's that the points are leaving the middle way too open and what could be a perfect setup pass ends up clearing the zone. This happens way more than it should on those rare occasions (obviously more of them last night) the Avs win the puck in an offensive zone draw. I feel like the d-men cheat too much to each wall and/or one cheats back a little too far in the event the other team gains possession.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Well, Z still went with the follow-through all the way down to the ice so if there was embellishment, Z didn't do much to indicate that it was. In any event, I felt the benching was a bit harsh, but not wholly unjustified.

I agree Z shouldn't have finished him that way. That's an instinctual move for a defenseman, but he should have held back.

Z did complain about the call all the way to the box though, if that's what you were questioning? Starred down the ref as he was making the call too.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad