GDT: GAME 18: Bruins @ Avalanche | 11/14/18 | 20:00 MT | Battle of Cheatcodes

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It was a penalty no doubt and at a bad time but Wilsons o zone penalty was even worse and his reward was pp time and consistent shifts. Its ****ery at the highest level. It should be accountability for all. Some guys get a longer leash I get that but guys like Colin Wilson don't have a leash. They are free range dogs free to do whatever.

Exactly. All this talk about the timing of the penalty being terrible. How was the timing of Wilson's penalty not horrible? They're a little over a minute into the 2nd period, down 2-1, and he takes a completely unnecessary hooking penalty 200 feet away from his net.

Between the two of them, Zadorov is the one that has been playing well lately. Wilson spent another game killing good scoring chances with Kerfoot and Jost. That weak pass on the 3 on 2 with Kerfoot and Jost driving the net was 4th liner stuff.

Despite his terribly timed penalty, he stays on the 2nd scoring line, keeps his spot on the 1st PP unit despite not contributing anything, and plays the same minutes he's averaged all season. At the very least, there's a strong double standard at play here.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Yeah, what's frustrating to me about Zadorov getting benched is that he's a guy that has actually played well over the last few weeks. Yet one penalty and boom - benched.

It's not a good message to send. Not a good message at all.
Zadorov's play his entire career has been streaky, that was such a miserable penalty at such a poor time, it clearly showed that he had no idea what game he was playing in.

I have no problem with coach taking a guy out of the game who clearly doesn't have his head on straight that particular night.

And you'll probably come back with what about Barberio and Wilson, they both took miserable unnecessary penalties as well, how come they didn't get benched. Well to that I say Wilson has played hard all season, and has all of 4 penalty minutes all season, I can live with one dumb penalty here and there. As for Barberio, his shouldn't have even been a penalty in the first place, and second the guy has gotten to play in all of 5 games all season, and that was his first penalty. Whereas Zadorov has 21 penalty minutes and lots of dumb penalties mixed in there, many coming at bad times.

Zadorov clearly needs to learn that there is a certain level of play expected of him every game, he can't take nights off and sure as hell can't be taking ridiculously stupid penalties every couple games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Zadorov's play his entire career has been streaky, that was such a miserable penalty at such a poor time, it clearly showed that he had no idea what game he was playing in.

I have no problem with coach taking a guy out of the game who clearly doesn't have his head on straight that particular night.

And you'll probably come back with what about Barberio and Wilson, they both took miserable unnecessary penalties as well, how come they didn't get benched. Well to that I say Wilson has played hard all season, and has all of 4 penalty minutes all season, I can live with one dumb penalty here and there. As for Barberio, his shouldn't have even been a penalty in the first place, and second the guy has gotten to play in all of 5 games all season, and that was his first penalty. Whereas Zadorov has 21 penalty minutes and lots of dumb penalties mixed in there, many coming at bad times.

Zadorov clearly needs to learn that there is a certain level of play expected of him every game, he can't take nights off and sure as hell can't be taking ridiculously stupid penalties every couple games.
4 minor penalties in his last 10 games. Compare that to the following over the last 10 games:

Matt Calvert: 4 minor penalties
Patrik Nemeth: 4 minor penalties
Mikko Rantanen: 4 minor penalties
Erik Johnson: 3 minor penalties

I get that guys like Rantanen and Johnson have longer leashes, but there's clearly a double standard for Zadorov compared to the rest of the team when it comes to taking penalties. None of those players are getting benched, and the only reason a guy like Nemeth came out last game is because he has sucked pretty much all season. Even when playing he's still getting more ice time than Zadorov.

Don't agree with Bednar's handling of him at all.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
4 minor penalties in his last 10 games. Compare that to the following over the last 10 games:

Matt Calvert: 4 minor penalties
Patrik Nemeth: 4 minor penalties
Mikko Rantanen: 4 minor penalties
Erik Johnson: 3 minor penalties

I get that guys like Rantanen and Johnson have longer leashes, but there's clearly a double standard for Zadorov compared to the rest of the team when it comes to taking penalties. None of those players are getting benched, and the only reason a guy like Nemeth came out last game is because he has sucked pretty much all season. Even when playing he's still getting more ice time than Zadorov.

Don't agree with Bednar's handling of him at all.
That's fine I didn't like it at first either, but he needs a short leash or we'd watching him take dumb penalties almost every game.

It's frustrating because you'll watch him have a game like he had against McDavid the other night and you'd think he was a stud top end guy, then you watch a game like last night and he gets into with a 4th line scrub and take a horrid penalty that very well could have cost us the game the way Boston was going on the PP.

Lonewolfe2015

Rom Com Male Lead
Sponsor
Dec 2, 2007
Zadorov afraid of taking penalties is going to be useless. He has to experience the nuances of reffing, not get benched for dumb calls. Otherwise he'll never use his size properly and hold back.

Z is probably being put on a short leash in an attempt to unwaken the beast, tough love style, but it's not exactly a great plan. Too bad we only have one EJ, Z could use a better partner for a few games to get going.

avsfan09

Dec 17, 2010
Nova Scotia
I wonder if Zadorovs consistency is more about how he prepares himself out of hockey and if it is why they haven't tried to address this.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
That's fine I didn't like it at first either, but he needs a short leash or we'd watching him take dumb penalties almost every game.

It's frustrating because you'll watch him have a game like he had against McDavid the other night and you'd think he was a stud top end guy, then you watch a game like last night and he gets into with a 4th line scrub and take a horrid penalty that very well could have cost us the game the way Boston was going on the PP.
Why would we watch him take dumb penalties every game if he didn't have a short leash? Because he takes this one penalty last game?

Should Matt Calvert get benched every time he takes a stupid, lazy stick infraction? What about Colin Wilson? Alex Kerfoot?

You can't just single out one guy like this and bench him. That sends a horrible message to Zadorov.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Why would we watch him take dumb penalties every game if he didn't have a short leash? Because he takes this one penalty last game?

Should Matt Calvert get benched every time he takes a stupid, lazy stick infraction? What about Colin Wilson? Alex Kerfoot?

You can't just single out one guy like this and bench him. That sends a horrible message to Zadorov.

Kerfoot was benched not too long ago... there are some different leashes, but let’s not pretend only Z gets benched. Nemeth and Barbs get games off. Jost and Kerfoot have been sat. Z had a terrible penalty and deserved a seat. Let’s see what comes of this as it goes on.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Avs71

Aug 12, 2008
Last year Zadorov was benched against Calgary on February 28th. Played 7:45 that night. The game before that, he was also benched. Played 13 minutes. Didn't play less than 19 minutes in every single game after that as the Avs chased down a playoff spot. Played as high as 24-25 minutes some nights.

Bednar is probably looking for the same result, but the Avs have more depth with Cole, Girard, and a healthy EJ, so the minutes aren't their to be shared around.

Reactions: Foppberg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Last year Zadorov was benched against Calgary on February 28th. Played 7:45 that night. The game before that, he was also benched. Played 13 minutes. Didn't play less than 19 minutes in every single game after that as the Avs chased down a playoff spot. Played as high as 24-25 minutes some nights.

Bednar is probably looking for the same result, but the Avs have more depth with Cole, Girard, and a healthy EJ, so the minutes aren't their to be shared around.
It seems like Bednar had a hair across his ass on that first PP goal against. Z was pretty soft on that play and didnt make a good read. Then he takes the penalty and Jared had enough. I guess we will see what happens against the caps.

Reactions: burgundyblue

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Exactly. All this talk about the timing of the penalty being terrible. How was the timing of Wilson's penalty not horrible? They're a little over a minute into the 2nd period, down 2-1, and he takes a completely unnecessary hooking penalty 200 feet away from his net.

Between the two of them, Zadorov is the one that has been playing well lately. Wilson spent another game killing good scoring chances with Kerfoot and Jost. That weak pass on the 3 on 2 with Kerfoot and Jost driving the net was 4th liner stuff.

Despite his terribly timed penalty, he stays on the 2nd scoring line, keeps his spot on the 1st PP unit despite not contributing anything, and plays the same minutes he's averaged all season. At the very least, there's a strong double standard at play here.

That to me should warrant a benching. A lazy ass 1999 obstruction hooking call 200 feet away from your net down a goal and on your first shift of period. If you can find that botched 2 on 1 in the third that would also be great.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Well...fair or not a factor here is whether Bednar can afford to bench said player. With Z, yes, he could. With Wilson it's not as cut-and-dried. If there were fewer injuries, yes, I think Wilson would've gotten bumped down the lineup and even benched. But it's not like he could just double-shift Rantanen (or maybe he could the way Rants was playing last night) or just move Matt Calvert...or...BORK...up the lineup. If the blueline were more banged up I doubt Z would've been reproached so harshly.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Well...fair or not a factor here is whether Bednar can afford to bench said player. With Z, yes, he could. With Wilson it's not as cut-and-dried. If there were fewer injuries, yes, I think Wilson would've gotten bumped down the lineup and even benched. But it's not like he could just double-shift Rantanen (or maybe he could the way Rants was playing last night) or just move Matt Calvert...or...BORK...up the lineup. If the blueline were more banged up I doubt Z would've been reproached so harshly.

You really believe Compher healthy would have resulted in Wilson being benched? It is insane to me the level of faith you have in Bednar even being frustrated with him to start this season lol.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
You really believe Compher healthy would have resulted in Wilson being benched? It is insane to me the level of faith you have in Bednar even being frustrated with him to start this season lol.

I dunno, I'll admit my biases, but you kinda have yours too when it comes to Bednar, amirite?

Is there really any evidence to suggest he's treating Wilson like a Favorite Son? I mean, it's not like there's someone else on the depth chart who'd be better at present. I don't enjoy seeing him biff on prime scoring opportunities and I'm guessing the coaches don't either. I already said elsewhere they haven't had a single, solitary opportunity to play him as a 3rd line guy like he's supposed to be because the first year, he was injured or sick at various times all damn season. This year, it's everyone else who can't stay healthy. My point is that everyone's railing on him for benching Z and not benching Wilson, I simply asked what option does he have if he decides to pin Captain Average to the pine? Right now there isn't any, but with some more healthy bodies in the lineup he'd probably bench him. As Henchy pointed out, he's benched other forwards at times as well.

Oh and I should point out again that JB tried Kamenev out there in the previous game with Jost/Kerfoot, sans Wilson, for at least a couple shifts. That was no accident. I personally don't think he loves Wilson, he's just the best option at 2RW right now. Hopefully that changes because I don't want him here past this season, and I'm guessing the team doesn't really want to extend him either, though we'll see. Once Ghetto and Compher come back it'll be interesting to see where they land in the lineup.

FTR, I don't love the fact that he benched Z like he did and I think he is a bit too harsh on the kid, but I don't think it was wholly unjustified. I don't mind calling out Bednar when I think he's making a mistake, thankfully he's learning from some of them (like swapping Dries and Bourque on Soda's line so Soda has someone who doesn't swat at the puck like a five-year-old on his wing). I think he's a good coach and a smart guy, I'm still not convinced he's a great coach.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
I dunno, I'll admit my biases, but you kinda have yours too when it comes to Bednar, amirite?

Is there really any evidence to suggest he's treating Wilson like a Favorite Son? I mean, it's not like there's someone else on the depth chart who'd be better at present. I don't enjoy seeing him biff on prime scoring opportunities and I'm guessing the coaches don't either. I already said elsewhere they haven't had a single, solitary opportunity to play him as a 3rd line guy like he's supposed to be because the first year, he was injured or sick at various times all damn season. This year, it's everyone else who can't stay healthy. My point is that everyone's railing on him for benching Z and not benching Wilson, I simply asked what option does he have if he decides to pin Captain Average to the pine? Right now there isn't any, but with some more healthy bodies in the lineup he'd probably bench him. As Henchy pointed out, he's benched other forwards at times as well.

Oh and I should point out again that JB tried Kamenev out there in the previous game with Jost/Kerfoot, sans Wilson, for at least a couple shifts. That was no accident. I personally don't think he loves Wilson, he's just the best option at 2RW right now. Hopefully that changes because I don't want him here past this season, and I'm guessing the team doesn't really want to extend him either, though we'll see. Once Ghetto and Compher come back it'll be interesting to see where they land in the lineup.

FTR, I don't love the fact that he benched Z like he did and I think he is a bit too harsh on the kid, but I don't think it was wholly unjustified. I don't mind calling out Bednar when I think he's making a mistake, thankfully he's learning from some of them (like swapping Dries and Bourque on Soda's line so Soda has someone who doesn't swat at the puck like a five-year-old on his wing). I think he's a good coach and a smart guy, I'm still not convinced he's a great coach.

Oh yeah I do lol

My problem wasn't Z vs Wilson, it was Z vs Barbs personally, but Wilson was the one being discussed. I've got my doubts Bednar would have Wilson on a short leash. He made a lot of excuses for him from last season, and constantly loves to talk him up. That does not mean he wouldn't bench him, but I don't have faith in Bednar's logic right now.

I wouldn't of taken Nemeth out though either. While Nemeth has his moments, and as much as it irks me to admit it, hes been better than Barbs in his starts.

It really does bother me that Z had been one of our better defenders lately, and was responsible for shutting down Mcjesus in a huge game for us, and still has this kind of leash. I would have stood by him being benched for the rest of a period or something. The rest of the game, and my god if he scratches him next game and plays Barbs and Nemeth is f***ing dumb.

I'm also personally starting to grow some internal anger towards Sakic realizing he not only bet on Jost, but who the f*** was he betting on at #2RW? Wilson? That might not of been a mistake, but more of an absolute dumb shit level move.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh yeah I do lol

My problem wasn't Z vs Wilson, it was Z vs Barbs personally, but Wilson was the one being discussed. I've got my doubts Bednar would have Wilson on a short leash. He made a lot of excuses for him from last season, and constantly loves to talk him up. That does not mean he wouldn't bench him, but I don't have faith in Bednar's logic right now.

I wouldn't of taken Nemeth out though either. While Nemeth has his moments, and as much as it irks me to admit it, hes been better than Barbs in his starts.

It really does bother me that Z had been one of our better defenders lately, and was responsible for shutting down Mcjesus in a huge game for us, and still has this kind of leash. I would have stood by him being benched for the rest of a period or something. The rest of the game, and my god if he scratches him next game and plays Barbs and Nemeth is ****ing dumb.

I'm also personally starting to grow some internal anger towards Sakic realizing he not only bet on Jost, but who the **** was he betting on at #2RW? Wilson? That might not of been a mistake, but more of an absolute dumb **** level move.

Not quite certain why you wouldn't have taken out Nemeth, he hasn't just had "moments," he's been patently horrid for quite some time. That kinda runs counter to the previous notion from last season that Nemeth was a Bednar favorite...there just wasn't a better option at that time either.

Barberio was given the chance to play through a bad turnover and bad penalty (though the nature of that penalty was different) so I wish Z had gotten that opportunity as well. Barbs really responded and had a fantastic game, just hope he keeps it up. I want Nemeth to really be the 7th guy going forward.

As far as Sakic looking for scoring depth, I dunno...not many options out there. I'm sure people will say he should've signed Anthony Duclair, but I don't think anyone could've seen what's happening with him in Columbus. Avs took a similar chance on Yakupov last season and well, that didn't work out. Only other options I can recall would've been James Neal, or...Thomas Vanek. No thanks. They could've ponied up for James van Riemsdyk or Paul Stastny, but as I said elsewhere I'm not convinced the Avs would have ever been in the running for either guy.

Now...Michael Grabner, I would've loved to have a guy like that on the PK, but alas, Sakic was pretty intent on keeping this team pretty young, for better or for worse. I suppose we'll see how aggressive he is at the deadline and offseason. I think that will be a much better time since he'll have a better idea of what he has in terms of Kerfoot/Jost, as well as whatever those two first-rounders in the draft turn into. Then he'll have a wealth of assets to ply via trade if necessary.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
Not quite certain why you wouldn't have taken out Nemeth, he hasn't just had "moments," he's been patently horrid for quite some time. That kinda runs counter to the previous notion from last season that Nemeth was a Bednar favorite...there just wasn't a better option at that time either.

Barberio was given the chance to play through a bad turnover and bad penalty (though the nature of that penalty was different) so I wish Z had gotten that opportunity as well. Barbs really responded and had a fantastic game, just hope he keeps it up. I want Nemeth to really be the 7th guy going forward.

As far as Sakic looking for scoring depth, I dunno...not many options out there. I'm sure people will say he should've signed Anthony Duclair, but I don't think anyone could've seen what's happening with him in Columbus. Avs took a similar chance on Yakupov last season and well, that didn't work out. Only other options I can recall would've been James Neal, or...Thomas Vanek. No thanks. They could've ponied up for James van Riemsdyk or Paul Stastny, but as I said elsewhere I'm not convinced the Avs would have ever been in the running for either guy.

Now...Michael Grabner, I would've loved to have a guy like that on the PK, but alas, Sakic was pretty intent on keeping this team pretty young, for better or for worse. I suppose we'll see how aggressive he is at the deadline and offseason. I think that will be a much better time since he'll have a better idea of what he has in terms of Kerfoot/Jost, as well as whatever those two first-rounders in the draft turn into. Then he'll have a wealth of assets to ply via trade if necessary.

Maybe I was just focused on other parts of the game. I didn't notice Barbs much the rest of the game (outside of some time he spent low in the O zone) which is good. When Barby is playing well I like his puck handling and mobility a lot better than Nemeth though.

I was one who advocated for a move to help the secondary scoring, so it just turns the screws that is one of our major issues right now. It's hard to completely judge what could and could not have been done, but I get to be frustrated as a fan since I'm not the GM lol.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad