GDT: Game 18: Avs @ Leafs | Tuesday, November 17th, 5:30pm MT | This is the Time

Status
Not open for further replies.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
WTF did I just read?

Seriously, these National Media people are just foolish when they continually write things like "budget team"...

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
You don't have to wait until tomorrow for something about the Avs and Roy.....

I refused to read anything from that loser.

COuldn't catch the game but I did PVR it...guess I shouldn't watch it though. This was a game that the avs should've won so it was natural they lost. You want to be a playoff team well you gotta beat the bottom feeders. Avs have been losing these types of games for far too long now.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
I refused to read anything from that loser.

COuldn't catch the game but I did PVR it...guess I shouldn't watch it though. This was a game that the avs should've won so it was natural they lost. You want to be a playoff team well you gotta beat the bottom feeders. Avs have been losing these types of games for far too long now.

Played decently 5-on-5, PP/PK sucked.

That's the game in a nutshell. I'm trying to remember, but I think all of Toronto's goals came via Special Teams (4 PP and 1 SH).

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Him and Steve Simmons are the worst.

Simmons seems to hate any athlete who plays for a Toronto team even though he covers Toronto teams. Cox on the other hand just finds negativity everywhere and tries to outsmart people even though he's routinely been known as one of the dumbest sports people out there today

AslanRH

Not a Core Poster
Sponsor
Jun 5, 2012
Wyoming, USA
All this out coaches business though, that's just looking for narratives. If that was true they should have locked it down 5 on 5 then.

While I concede that even the Avs benefitted from that "new coach bump" their first year, I will wait to see how the Leafs look next season and the season after. There was a noticeable difference in how a less talented group of Leafs played than the one I'd seen over the last 2-3 seasons in Toronto. I could already see similarities to the Babcock Red Wings' zone exits and spacing.

WTF did I just read?

Seriously, these National Media people are just foolish when they continually write things like "budget team"...

You mean the team that is currently 5-8 million under the cap after a very poor season where they spent more? Add in rumblings (whether you believe they are solid or not doesn't matter) that they are at the least listening on their higher dollar players. A team that has crept on the lower end of the cap while rebuilding. Set a structure to base contracts around. Been willing to trade or let go of key players who are not fitting within that structure.

I think it is reasonable to infer there is a budget.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Perfect example of a team winning three games and leaving their brain in the last town.

Barrie and Beauch were brutal. Looked like they had the flu or something with their slow legs and poor decisions. Guenin was just completely useless on every shift. Holden's finally coming back down to earth.

Mack with some rookie mistakes with the puck most of the night. Comeau with two dumb penalties.

PK looked dreadful. No semblance of a box, just looked like they were playing 5 on 5 coverage. Wide open passing lanes to the slot all night while shorthanded. That should never happen in this day and age on the PK.

Throw that tape in the trash and get back to the desperate hockey that won you the last three games. You're season is still on the line here!

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
The Forbes website crashes my iPad but I managed to copy this

Stanley Kroenke owns three teams (St. Louis Rams, Colorado Avalanche and Denver Nuggets) and ranks No. 63 overall with a net worth $7.6 billion, up 33% in large part to the soaring value of his sports assets. Kroenke, who is married to a Wal-Mart heir, made his fortune in real estate before investing in sports. Kroenke is pushing hard for a move to Los Angeles for the Rams, which would further increase the value of his team.

I'm not buying it. I don't care if they don't spend to the last inches of the cap on expensive FAs but the whole narrative of Tyson Barrie is going to have to be traded because of a budget is complete BS.

And #63 is world rank, he's #2 for NFL owners.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
there's a linear correlation between the money a team spends and the success they have. It shouldn't be a surprise that a team with $8 million of cap space is suffering when they could conceivably upgrade $8 million worth of talent.

Which really

really

really

really

sucks

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
there's a linear correlation between the money a team spends and the success they have. It shouldn't be a surprise that a team with $8 million of cap space is suffering when they could conceivably upgrade $8 million worth of talent.

Which really

really

really

really

sucks

That's two Brad Stuarts and a Guenin.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

Which really

really

really

really

sucks

The money they spent on the roster this year isn't the issue. Barrie and MacKinnon's raises together will be about $8M next year anyway.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I don't think you can compare Cox to Simmons Avs19/D2M, Steve is EASILY the worst hockey writer/journalist/analyst in the game of hockey as far as I am concerned. :)

Played decently 5-on-5, PP/PK sucked.

That's the game in a nutshell. I'm trying to remember, but I think all of Toronto's goals came via Special Teams (4 PP and 1 SH).

But hasn't it been happening too much though? As I said before, I stopped watching this game, as every team goes through funky games like one today...where your best player was garbage, your best defender went brain dead the worst possible times, and the whole team just didn't have "it". With the Avs though, it seems that one every ten games or so, they completely **** the bed either 5v5 or special teams. This isn't even our first game where special teams lost us the game this season, Florida and I believe it was San Jose as well.

That's why I made the mentally weak versus talent thread, it provides another example how inconsistent this team is from the mental side of it IMO. But with that said, I won't freak out as a lot of you guys did today. 3-1 on this road trip is classified as a success currently, and yes it doesn't get easier, but it seems Avs show up against the better teams of the league.

Last edited:

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
I don't think you can compare Cox to Simmons Avs19/D2M, Steve is EASILY the worst hockey writer/journalist/analyst in the game of hockey as far as I am concerned. :)

I don't know why but Simmons seems like he's on a mission of vengeance against every Toronto athlete, but rarely does he try to back anything up. He just rants.

Cox, meanwhile, attempts to justify things and back things up while only looking dumber with each article. That's why I have Cox as worse than Simmons

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Can these ****s show evidence to show me that we are a budget team? I look at the payroll especially last yrs and this yrs and I dont see how anyone with a brain looks at the numbers and says this is a budget team. **** the ****in media

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If they could have ONE YEAR upgrades with that 8M would be one thing but we all know it doesn't work like that in hockey.

And this is what is always overlooked in terms of the the we could have kept ROR or we could have kept Stastny talk. Those were long term deals. Deals that would extend way into the next unsigned contracts of MacKinnon, Barrie, EJ, and that 3rd D (Zads?) they're looking to build with.

They affect the long term building of the team. Now there is no stumbling block in that long term building.

Only way money is an issue is if management just decides to do a partial reset thinking they're further away than they originally thought, and won't be competitive until the Compher's, Greer's, Zadorov's, Bigras, Geertsen's, Pickard's, etc that are bonding and winning in the AHL are ready to contribute, after a few years under their belts in the NHL.

If that's the case, then it makes sense business wise for them to shed some salary knowing the attendance likely won't go up that much with more marginal years, and there may not be the playoff revenue they counted on originally.

That's a different scenario than the simplistic one the media is painting though, basically saying they're cheap and don't want to spend money. Which we know isn't the case. They just don't want to spend money if they don't have a team that can consistently make the playoffs and gain extra revenue. Earning back the money spent.

WarriorOfGandhi

Was saying Boo-urns
Jul 31, 2007
Denver, CO
Can these ****s show evidence to show me that we are a budget team? I look at the payroll especially last yrs and this yrs and I dont see how anyone with a brain looks at the numbers and says this is a budget team. **** the ****in media

brej this really isn't hard

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/

2nd most cap space after Winnipeg this year
12th most in 2014
4th most in 2013
4th most in 2012
3rd most in 2011

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Cheap teams don't send one way contracts to the minors or sign minor league guys to one way deals or bring in extra guys like Skille and Wagner when they could just use what they had. It's all unnecessary and just added expenses.

We'll see how the MacKinnon and Barrie contracts turn out. Guys they've been saying for years the plan was to have the money to pay them. If it turns out they can't do that then yeah something is off in what they've been selling.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
brej this really isn't hard

http://www.spotrac.com/nhl/cap/

2nd most cap space after Winnipeg this year
12th most in 2014
4th most in 2013
4th most in 2012
3rd most in 2011

And? What does that prove? What about when they had one of the highest payrolls last year?

Not even sure how accurate those numbers are anyway. Every website is different but capgeek sure as hell never had it like that for last year. I know for a fact at one point we were within 400k of the cap.

Last edited:

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
Avs have the 16th payroll. But no doubt having bombed out of playoff contention in the first month two years in a row will make it hard to get the ticket revenue they want and that could lead to less spending going forward.

Kroenke is wealthy but I suspect he want his sports teams to be able to stand on their own two legs.

Avs are burying Cliche and Bordeleau in AHL this year but that's probably because they are very bad and there are so many players that aren't waiver excempt so they don't have a choice.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
I can't help but feel like Roy is still the problem. Today on the powerplay I saw McLeod AND Comeau out there at the same time. Not to mention all of the garbage system play that we see every game. Whatever....

I know there were some very disappointing individual performances as well, but idk

if you're referring to the end of the game when a win was well out of hand i don't see your point. the game was over. no need to put your stars out and risk injury

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If nate guenin plays another game in the NHL for Patrick Roy, then Patrick Roy is a clueless idiot.

His performance last night, while not directly leading to our loss and worst game of the year, was beyond abysmal. He'd be cut from an ECHL team with his play. Couldn't make a 5 foot pass...generally waited too long to try and pass and then made a pass to somewhere around where a player was. Giveaways, soft plays...I'm completely sick of this guy. As BAD as Cliche was, and that was pretty bad, he was never even close to as poor of a hockey player as guenin demonstrated last night.

I wouldn't have even let him finish the game, I would have told him to get his stuff off and pack his ****. He should be on waivers TODAY. Even Zach Redmond on his worst ever night couldn't come up with such a pathetic display that we had to see guenin put on last night.

Blake Comeau should be embarrassed by how he played last night. Two high-sticking penalties and there could have been a case for a 3rd late in the game. WTF dude? Stop playing like an idiot!

Tyson Barrie seems like he's playing at 50%. I don't know what the **** his problem is but he's faster and more competitive than he's shown so far this year. He's playing like he wants to get traded or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad