GDT: Game 17: Phoenix Coyotes @ Anaheim Ducks | 11-6-13 | 8PM Arizona Time

IPreferPi

A Nonny Mouse
Jun 22, 2012
Phoenix, AZ
Moss was good last night too. He's played really well so far this season. He's actually creating quite a few chances offensively.

Moss still can't finish even if Ribeiro spoonfeeds him while crashing the net, but nevertheless, he is at least a factor on offense while still being a very good defensive winger. At this point I'm more inclined to keep Moss and trade Korpi to afford a top 6 winger.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Terrible game last night. Way too many turnovers, play was sloppy. Started the game off pretty well, but it just got worse as the night went on.

I hope Schlemko comes back soon, because geesus Rundblad is a cancer.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Miele has a great game vs LA

"Miele belongs in the NHL!"

Miele doesn't do good vs Anaheim

"Miele is not cut out for the NHL."

Knee-jerk reactions galore!

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Hyperbolic statement of the day, if not week.

Call me a Schlemko fan, have been ever since the beginning. But they shouldn't have signed Rundblad to a 1 way contract. We are in the NHL business to win, not to put players out there that obviously have areas of their game they need to work on. That's what the AHL is for.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Call me a Schlemko fan, have been ever since the beginning. But they shouldn't have signed Rundblad to a 1 way contract. We are in the NHL business to win, not to put players out there that obviously have areas of their game they need to work on. That's what the AHL is for.

That's your opinion but the fact is they're different management and coaching styles. Some teams prefer to have certain develop in the NHL more than the minors.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
That's your opinion but the fact is they're different management and coaching styles. Some teams prefer to have certain develop in the NHL more than the minors.

And with the track record of Tippet, what would you say would be our coaching philosophy on players that aren't ready for the NHL?

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
And with the track record of Tippet, what would you say would be our coaching philosophy on players that aren't ready for the NHL?

Since we have different styles in the league that works our philosophy is not the only one that matters.

Also, it was discussed that Rundblad would be able to play somewhere else in the NHL, just not under Tippett's system. Hence, the 1 year one way deal he was given.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Since we have different styles in the league that works our philosophy is not the only one that matters.

Also, it was discussed that Rundblad would be able to play somewhere else in the NHL, just not under Tippett's system.

I'm a fan of the Coyotes, I couldn't care less what other teams do. There is a reason Schlemko was on the ice and not Rundblad, and we have seen why. I don't give a damn if he's rusty because he hasn't had game action. The fact that a majority of this board wanted Schlemko to sit in place of Rundblad, how much longer of his play are you going to allow before you finally say "Ok, maybe Schlemko did give us a better defensive game."

Scoring goals is not our problem right now.

WJF

Jul 19, 2007
Los Angeles
I'm a fan of the Coyotes, I couldn't care less what other teams do. There is a reason Schlemko was on the ice and not Rundblad, and we have seen why. I don't give a damn if he's rusty because he hasn't had game action. The fact that a majority of this board wanted Schlemko to sit in place of Rundblad, how much longer of his play are you going to allow before you finally say "Ok, maybe Schlemko did give us a better defensive game."

Just give it some time...:laugh:

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009

strawman.jpg

Nice strawman argument.

Nobody called you out on what team your a fan of and being a fan of only one team is not an acceptable excuse for not being objective when it comes to telling the truth.

Also, it's been proven countless times on why others want David Schlemko off the team seeing he is not the same player he once was back in the 11-12.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Nice strawman argument.

Nobody called you out on what team your a fan of and being a fan of only one team is not an acceptable excuse for not being objective when it comes to telling the truth.

Also, it's been proven countless times on why others want David Schlemko off the team seeing he is not the same player he once was back in the 11-12.

Go back and read your statement, you commented on different philosophies in the LEAGUE. I don't care about other philosophies, I worry about the Philosophy of Tippet and CO.

And right now, we are still top 10 in the league in scoring, but our defense has had plenty of lapses this year. Rundblad in there does not help fix the problem back in our defensive zone.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Go back and read your statement, you commented on different philosophies in the LEAGUE. I don't care about other philosophies, I worry about the Philosophy of Tippet and CO.

And right now, we are still top 10 in the league in scoring, but our defense has had plenty of lapses this year. Rundblad in there does not help fix the problem back in our defensive zone.

Another strawman argument

How many Stanley Cup Rings does Tippett have? How many times has Tippett been to a Cup Final?

Since he has none of either it would be even more silly to ignore the philosophies of other NHL teams, especially those teams who not only have a ring but also have won a ring in recent memory.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
Do you even know what a Straw Man Argument means?

Let's look at recent Cup Winners and why they won.

Blackhawks last year:

2.02 GA/G - #1 in the league

LA Kings 2 years ago:

2.07 GA/G - #2 in the league

Boston 3 years ago:

2.43 GA/G - #6 in the league

-----

I'm talking about Schlemko vs. Rundblad, because of our defense. Do those other teams have plenty of more offensive capability than us? Sure they do. But they were also very good defensively.

Currently we are giving up 3.1 goals per game. Yes, a small sample size for a long season, but that is good enough for #25 in the league currently.

Is Schlemko a difference maker? No. Does Schlemko make mistakes? Yes. But is he more sound in the defensive zone than Rundblad? I would say so. And yes, there have been games that have been lopsided that have hurt our average, but that will happen. The problem is, those games our Defense was nowhere to be found. I will always think back to the LA Kings game, towards the end of the game, a shot from a bit inside the blue line had only 2 guys in front of Smith, and they were both LA Kings jerseys. Defense has been our issue this season so far for the most part.

I can see why nobody likes to argue with you in the political forum now. It's all becoming clear.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
Do you even know what a Straw Man Argument means?

Let's look at recent Cup Winners and why they won.

Blackhawks last year:

2.02 GA/G - #1 in the league

LA Kings 2 years ago:

2.07 GA/G - #2 in the league

Boston 3 years ago:

2.43 GA/G - #6 in the league

-----

I'm talking about Schlemko vs. Rundblad, because of our defense. Do those other teams have plenty of more offensive capability than us? Sure they do. But they were also very good defensively.

Currently we are giving up 3.1 goals per game. Yes, a small sample size for a long season, but that is good enough for #25 in the league currently.

Is Schlemko a difference maker? No. Does Schlemko make mistakes? Yes. But is he more sound in the defensive zone than Rundblad? I would say so. And yes, there have been games that have been lopsided that have hurt our average, but that will happen. The problem is, those games our Defense was nowhere to be found. I will always think back to the LA Kings game, towards the end of the game, a shot from a bit inside the blue line had only 2 guys in front of Smith, and they were both LA Kings jerseys. Defense has been our issue this season so far for the most part.

And again you fail to understand that just because Rundblad has not been the player we want him to be with the Coyotes, that doesn't mean he is not ready for the NHL. Why do you think he was given a one-way contract for? Because GMDM knows that Rundblad would do fine somewhere else in the NHL.

Also, the fact still remains, David S. is not the same player he once was in 11-12 and there is no signs in his game right now that suggest that his game will return to that point in time or even better than 11-12.

awfulwaffle

Jun 20, 2011
Dallas, TX
And again you fail to understand that just because Rundblad has not been the player we want him to be with the Coyotes, that doesn't mean he is not ready for the NHL. Why do you think he was given a one-way contract for? Because GMDM knows that Rundblad would do fine somewhere else in the NHL.

Also, the fact still remains, David S. is not the same player he once was in 11-12 and there is no signs in his game right now that suggest that his game will return to that point in time or even better than 11-12.

Your first statement is pure speculation.

Schlemko might not be the same player, but can you argue that Rundblad is better defensively than Schlemko?

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
Miele has a great game vs LA

"Miele belongs in the NHL!"

Miele doesn't do good vs Anaheim

"Miele is not cut out for the NHL."

Knee-jerk reactions galore!

He had two assists vs. LA, which is great offensive production, but not to be confused with a great game. His defensive play wasn't great in that game. In the three subsequent games, he has been next to invisible offensively, and much too visible defensively.

That's not a knee-jerk reaction.

ClassLessCoyote

Staying classy
Jun 10, 2009
He had two assists vs. LA, which is great offensive production, but not to be confused with a great game. His defensive play wasn't great in that game. In the three subsequent games, he has been next to invisible offensively, and much too visible defensively.

This is a more reasonable and understandable response.

Last edited:

RR

Mar 8, 2009
Cave Creek, AZ

I agree. What sealed it for me is that his play has gotten worse in each game, capped by watching him get tossed around the ice by a physical Anaheim team last night. Makes it tough for Tip to play him in tough games against tough teams. Which pretty well describes our schedule. If Tip won't trust him to play every day, send the kid down and let him play in Portland.

EDIT: And so they did. I'm happy for Miele. I'm sure he's not. But I suspect a kid like him takes every demotion to the AHL understanding he's going there for a reason, and that just motivates him to work harder on that aspect of his game so that his next call-up is his permanent call-up.

Last edited:

Tom Polakis

Next expansion
Nov 24, 2008
Tempe, AZ
EDIT: And so they did. I'm happy for Miele. I'm sure he's not. But I suspect a kid like him takes every demotion to the AHL understanding he's going there for a reason, and that just motivates him to work harder on that aspect of his game so that his next call-up is his permanent call-up.

I wonder if he'll ever be a permanent call-up. There's such a thing as small, successful NHL players, but he's 25, which is actually getting up there for a player with only a dozen career NHL games. He's not exactly playing the role of a little ball of hate out there, so he has to be that much better offensively to have even a chance.

PHX FireBirds18

Jul 20, 2006
Can you become a Kings fan and go away? I don't know why you support the Coyotes, you trash them any chance you get.

WJF is a glass half empty kind of guy. Much of what he says can be true to an extent. That's not the problem. He's just a negative nancy about it all the time and will never say anything positive when they do well. Which is lame considering all hockey teams have their ups and downs in a season. Hence why he is probably on ignore for half the boards. Personally he doesn't bother me really. I give him props for sporting a Hanzal jersey as his avy for so long.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

There are plenty of teams that would pay Runblad what we are paying him and let him play through his mistakes. With his talent level, DM had to sign him to a one way. The risk for Runblad was that he might be healthy scratched with our stacked D, unless he plays his way in, or we have injuries, or he gets traded, or we trade someone else. We own him for now, but it will sort itself out over time.

Schlemko just needs to stay healthy and I think he can get back to a high level like he was at in 11-12. Either he or Stone are going to get the minutes if we are healthy, likely both because it seems like DMO or Klesla are always injured. I think Schlemko gets the nod because he is a better PMD then Stone to pair with Klesla.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad