Game #17: Kings vs. Canucks - 11/9/13 - Regulation Win! 5-1 Victory!

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
To quote their PGT - "Doughty is not in good shape at all!"

Jennifer-Lawrence-ok-thumbs-up.gif

Homerism at it's finest.

Ziggy Stardust

Master Debater
Jul 25, 2002
Parts Unknown
Isn't it awesome to see the Kings calling up rookies who can make a contribution? Over the years we've seen guys like Voynov, King, Nolan, Muzzin and now Toffoli and Vey brought up and give the team good reason to keep them in the NHL. Pearson will be the next player to join that list.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
Isn't it awesome to see the Kings calling up rookies who can make a contribution? Over the years we've seen guys like Voynov, King, Nolan, Muzzin and now Toffoli and Vey brought up and give the team good reason to keep them in the NHL. Pearson will be the next player to join that list.

Its funny though. People on this board get mad when players come up and are successful "see shoulda been up sooner!!!" But no one ever says wow looks like they got just the right amount of seasoning down in the minors and now they are ready.

Realistically who would we have to give up?

Without getting into value wise, Kings would need to move out a lot of cap space to fit Coburn. Atleast a 3+ mil contract. Those likely candidates (atleast on this board) being Stoll/RR.

kingsfan

President of the Todd McLellan fan club by default
Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Or Nic Delaurier, as he may be better suited for the 3LW, but I'm hoping for Tanner.

No way on Deslaurier. We are trying to mold him into a forward, we don't toss him into the NHL fire 14 games into that transition. That's just asking for rouble.

I'm just going to come out and say it... If Toffoli keeps playing this way should we trade Carter?
Forgot he has a no trade... damn.....
(joke)

I assume the "(joke)" was referring to trading Carter, but just as an FYI, he doesn't have a NTC.

Thanks Ziggy!

Please bro, all that a leader does is tell the guys to give it their all. And if it's a good leader, the guys listen. If it's a bad leader, the guys turn their backs and don't give an effort. There aren't really any impactful speeches that players give in the locker room. Sure, they may talk to the team and get them back on course, but there's no MLK type **** going on. You've been watching Miracle too much. Stick to Slapshot.

Spoken by someone whose never been in a winning locker room. If all your 'leader' does is say "do your best," he's not a leader, he's a Grade 1 teacher.

Leadership is also more on the ice than in the dressing room. Shanahan said it best the other day. Talking about leaders, he said the best leaders were the guys who worked the hardest. You can say anything to anyone about 'do your best' as you put it, unless you are doing it yourself.

This teams biggest character trait is work ethic, that's why we have so many leaders.

Thanks, captain obvious! :)

Yeah, it's not a knock on Fraser, but clearly, we're better with Vey in the lineup. I still wouldn't mind having Fraser as our 13th forward and trading Clifford or even Frattin instead.

Not me. I think our 13th forward should be someone like Richardson, a guy that can fill in a game on a scoring line but also play on a lower line for a game as well. Fraser would look lost on a scoring line.

I have a tough time believing that Lewis may get dealt. He can play both RW and C and is our best defensive forward.

Personally, I'm ok with Fraser gone, but I'd deal Frattin or Clifford before I even think about moving Lewis.

I don't want Lewis traded, but the fact he hasn't picked up a single point in 17 games and is a UFA after the season could make him moveable.

Why move one of those guys to LW? Since when are teams only allowed to have two scoring lines? Put Toffoli with Vey and Clifford (or Pearson if he's out) and have that be your third line.

Then Carcillo, Stoll and Lewis can be the checking line.

Toffoli, Vey and Pearson on one line is just asking for trouble. They may have some chemistry, but they have all of what, 16 NHL games to their credit? You need to spread them out to give them support. Playing three rookies together doesn't seem like the Kings way.

Last edited:

KingKopitar11*

Let's not worry about the young players just because they are rookies. You'd be surprised how composed they can be with a veteran core like ours. We aren't the Oilers. Stop worrying

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Originally Posted by kingsfan

Originally Posted by deeshamrock View Post

Please bro, all that a leader does is tell the guys to give it their all. And if it's a good leader, the guys listen. If it's a bad leader, the guys turn their backs and don't give an effort. There aren't really any impactful speeches that players give in the locker room. Sure, they may talk to the team and get them back on course, but there's no MLK type **** going on. You've been watching Miracle too much. Stick to Slapshot.

Spoken by someone whose never been in a winning locker room. If all your 'leader' does is say "do your best," he's not a leader, he's a Grade 1 teacher.

Leadership is also more on the ice than in the dressing room. Shanahan said it best the other day. Talking about leaders, he said the best leaders were the guys who worked the hardest. You can say anything to anyone about 'do your best' as you put it, unless you are doing it yourself.

This teams biggest character trait is work ethic, that's why we have so many leaders.

Note on the above- I never said that, MN14 made a miscue when posting a few pages back and has since corrected it (thanks)
kingsfan, Can you please take my name off of that > thanks

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
I'm hoping we nab Coburn at the deadline.

I like Coburn and I think the Flyers are making a mistake shopping him. He's be a solid fit on the Kings D, and be a good fit on the team, he's a leader, solid player and a teammate who is well liked and respected. he's been thru the playoff wars and good under pressure; played a key role in winning in elimination games.
The Kings would have to move RR first to get CAP space and the piece going back for Philly I think (from what I've read in the current rumors) would a young forward. Although I think they are so desperate to move his money, a bargain could be had.
The problem is that Coburn has been in a lot of trade rumors, since the summer and I don't know if he'll last until Feb.
If DL can move RR now, I'd rather not lose the opportunity.

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I like Coburn and I think the Flyers are making a mistake shopping him. He's be a solid fit on the Kings D, and be a good fit on the team, he's a leader, solid player and a teammate who is well liked and respected. he's been thru the playoff wars and good under pressure; played a key role in winning in elimination games.
The Kings would have to move RR first to get CAP space and the piece going back for Philly I think (from what I've read in the current rumors) would a young forward. Although I think they are so desperate to move his money, a bargain could be had.
The problem is that Coburn has been in a lot of trade rumors, since the summer and I don't know if he'll last until Feb.
If DL can move RR now, I'd rather not lose the opportunity.

Outside of making room, what do you feel the Kings would need to give up for him, dee?

deeshamrock

Jul 25, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
Outside of making room, what do you feel the Kings would need to give up for him, dee?

I think a lot less than it would have cost in June. The asking price thru draft day was pretty high, they wanted too much back in the guise of a top scoring forward or a high draft pick. That didn't happen, nobody took the bait. And now with most teams in CAP straint, they are finding out how hard it is to move somebody making over 4M. The other thing that has changed is that most teams know the FLyers are rather desperate so I don't think they'll get what they want back for him. he's a top 4 vet D, proven and with playoff experience.

If Homer was smart (sorry, should have put a spew warning there) he'd move Coburns salary for a prospect and draft pick. That would give them CAP some room back. They are still trying to move some players out and bring some new blood in.

I think since they've been shopping him since May and he's still here, they realize the market isn't what they thought and their price will have to dip a bit, esp since they need CAP room, the Fleyrs D are now making over 34 million.

Since I think they don't want to take on salary, a prospect or bottom 6 salary friendly forward and a 2nd round pick.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
Note on the above- I never said that, MN14 made a miscue when posting a few pages back and has since corrected it (thanks)
kingsfan, Can you please take my name off of that > thanks

Yeah, seen that after I posted it. Sorry about that, multiquote miscue on my part. I know you aren't niave enough to say that sort of thing!

Mattias

The friendly cat.
Feb 15, 2009
..Since I think they don't want to take on salary, a prospect or bottom 6 salary friendly forward and a 2nd round pick.

Ship RR to Edm/Cgy.
2nd + King/Nolan/Clifford for Coburn.
Ship Fraser to Toronto.

Bring in Coburn, keep up Vey for Fraser spot.

Potential?

Reclamation Project

Cut It All Right In Two
Jul 6, 2011
I think a lot less than it would have cost in June. The asking price thru draft day was pretty high, they wanted too much back in the guise of a top scoring forward or a high draft pick. That didn't happen, nobody took the bait. And now with most teams in CAP straint, they are finding out how hard it is to move somebody making over 4M. The other thing that has changed is that most teams know the FLyers are rather desperate so I don't think they'll get what they want back for him. he's a top 4 vet D, proven and with playoff experience.

If Homer was smart (sorry, should have put a spew warning there) he'd move Coburns salary for a prospect and draft pick. That would give them CAP some room back. They are still trying to move some players out and bring some new blood in.

I think since they've been shopping him since May and he's still here, they realize the market isn't what they thought and their price will have to dip a bit, esp since they need CAP room, the Fleyrs D are now making over 34 million.

Since I think they don't want to take on salary, a prospect or bottom 6 salary friendly forward and a 2nd round pick.

Good insight. We need another defenseman.

kingsfan

Mar 18, 2002
Manitoba, Canada
I like Coburn, but not as a top pairing guy, which is our real issue. Mitchell and Regehr are good defensemen, just not top pairing guys.

Coburn to me is the modern day Mike Rathje. Solid D-man, top four guy with PK skills, but not someone that should be regularly out against the top lines. I've been following Coburn since junior and I made that assessment back then and I just don't see any change with him. We need someone more like Mitchell was about 2 years ago. That's not Coburn. Right now I don't know who it is that could be available, really so few guys are available right now. Florida is the only team I can see making a move right now (maybe Buffalo as well, but they may wait until closer to the deadline) and do we really want any D from Florida or Buffalo that would also be available?

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I like Coburn, but not as a top pairing guy, which is our real issue. Mitchell and Regehr are good defensemen, just not top pairing guys.

Coburn to me is the modern day Mike Rathje. Solid D-man, top four guy with PK skills, but not someone that should be regularly out against the top lines. I've been following Coburn since junior and I made that assessment back then and I just don't see any change with him. We need someone more like Mitchell was about 2 years ago. That's not Coburn. Right now I don't know who it is that could be available, really so few guys are available right now. Florida is the only team I can see making a move right now (maybe Buffalo as well, but they may wait until closer to the deadline) and do we really want any D from Florida or Buffalo that would also be available?

From Buffalo? No. Florida has a few options but none better than Coburn.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Ship RR to Edm/Cgy.
2nd + King/Nolan/Clifford for Coburn.
Ship Fraser to Toronto.

Bring in Coburn, keep up Vey for Fraser spot.

Potential?

Why would those teams want RR at his salary?

Why would we want to trade King or Nolan when they are playing excellent hockey, Clifford can be gone for whatever we can get, although judging by the way he has played the last 50+ games there probably won't be much demand for him, it's becoming more and more apparent that he is topping out as a 4th line LW with limited game sense.

Would love to add a d-man, but it's going to be hard with our cap situation

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
Nothing sweeter than putting the whooping on the Canucks. Can't stand that team.

I use to hate them, but they seem to just completely implode when adversity hits. While it's fun to win, they seem to look like a one line team. I know it sounds cocky, but they haven't really threatened us much the last few games.

HYORI 1963

Grit & Character
Jan 20, 2009
Orange County CA
I really wish some of you guys would stop and think how many teams actually have a better defensive core than we do? I'm guessing we're one of the best if not the very best. And you guys continue to want to add to an already great and very expensive defensive core. Just doesn't make sense imo.

Last edited:

funky

Build around Byfield, not the vets
Mar 9, 2002
Gio from Calgary would be awesome with Doughty

4 mil cap hit though

Cliffy, Muzzin and pick for Geo. - yeah it would be a high pick

yes, we would have to trade Stoll or RR

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway