GDT: GAME 17: Avalanche @ Oilers - Signs of the Av-pocalypse

Is it time to panic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
If he was Finnish you'd love him.
:laugh:
Actually I don't cheer for players because they are finnish. For example I have always thought Laine is most overrated player there is. Rants and Kakko are my guys and it's because I have always seen something real special in them.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I think Wilson gets far too much hate, but he was in clown shoes today - terrible game from him. Also, Draisaitl had a pretty horrible game, but besides one rush in the 1st where Zadorov played McDavid perfectly nobody on the Oilers was good except for Larsson and Klefbom. Their entire goal came off a sequence from a stupid turnover by Dries.

Also the Rogers Arena or Place, whatever it's called was as quiet as a morgue today.
It was dead silent after the 3-0 goal and then a loud cheer when Talbot got pulled then back to dead silence when Barrie scored. Music to my ears. Im glad im not the only one who thought Z played that play on Mcdavid just fine. Connor had a step and forced Connor wide and didnt let him get inside so it all amounted to a pass across to nobody.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
So where are all the we're the worst team in the league posters tonight?

This team isn't as bad as people around here want you to believe. When they play their game they're fine. It's when they don't skate, they get their butt's kicked.

They're a young team that's going to have to learn that you have to play your game every night.

Nice win tonight, hopefully it will push them into some more consistent play moving forward.

Who’s said we’re the worst team in the league? Lol

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Who’s said we’re the worst team in the league? Lol
After the past 5 games or so, you'd of thought that an AHL team was better than The Avs, the way some people were talking about them.

Not that beating the oilers is a huge win, but it did go to show that when we play our game we aren't too bad and can cause some issues for other teams.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
After the past 5 games or so, you'd of thought that an AHL team was better than The Avs, the way some people were talking about them.

Not that beating the oilers is a huge win, but it did go to show that when we play our game we aren't too bad and can cause some issues for other teams.

I saw a bunch of people post about how we aren’t a top 5 team in the league like some posters had said, but don’t think I saw anyone compare us to a team like Detroit or anything like that.

I think it should be clear to anyone that this team is a middle of the pack team, that should be in the wild card hunt again just like we were last year.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It was dead silent after the 3-0 goal and then a loud cheer when Talbot got pulled then back to dead silence when Barrie scored. Music to my ears. Im glad im not the only one who thought Z played that play on Mcdavid just fine. Connor had a step and forced Connor wide and didnt let him get inside so it all amounted to a pass across to nobody.
I'll go as far to say that Z, actually shut McDavid down. He had a really good game against him. Basically as good as you can play against McDavid.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
I remember watching that McDavid rush where Z pushed him to the outside and forced him to make a pass.

On the Sportsnet stream they said how great he did to get around a big 6'5 player and still get off a chance.

On the Altitude one they said how Z did a great job of keeping him to the outside and using his big reach to neutralize that chance.

To be expected when it's a Canadian broadcast and McJesus is involved though.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I saw a bunch of people post about how we aren’t a top 5 team in the league like some posters had said, but don’t think I saw anyone compare us to a team like Detroit or anything like that.

I think it should be clear to anyone that this team is a middle of the pack team, that should be in the wild card hunt again just like we were last year.
Agreed, not top tier, not garbage. Just very middle of the pack, but trending upwards.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I remember watching that McDavid rush where Z pushed him to the outside and forced him to make a pass.

On the Sportsnet stream they said how great he did to get around a big 6'5 player and still get off a chance.

On the Altitude one they said how Z did a great job of keeping him to the outside and using his big reach to neutralize that chance.

To be expected when it's a Canadian broadcast and McJesus is involved though.
Not surprising at all. Z makes a good play but it gets twisted into a good scoring chance by the Canadian media because you know McDavid is perfect and can't possibly be forced into a average play by a 3rd pairing guy.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
:laugh:
Actually I don't cheer for players because they are finnish. For example I have always thought Laine is most overrated player there is. Rants and Kakko are my guys and it's because I have always seen something real special in them.
Rants is a more complete player than Laine no question.

Balthazar

I haven't talked to the trainers yet
Sponsor
Apr 25, 2006
Watching live you see how good Ian Cole is in his own end. Wasn't a fan of his signing but he's proving me wrong.

We're pretty much all in the same boat. However, it's still early and he's signed for 3 years. Keep in mind that this board was also in love with Nemeth, Barbs, Beauchemin (yes, him), Holden and many other dmen soon after they joined the team. It can change quickly, let's hope he stays this way.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Also Kamenev quietly had a nice night. Seems like he's been getting better every game, hopefully he sticks around when guys start coming back from injury because I really think he could be a piece for us going forward.
He stood out tonight in a positive way. I keep forgetting hes a rookie. If he plays like this consistently he will be an everyday player in this league. Him playing well should also mean there is no more need to push Dano down our throats.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
We're pretty much all in the same boat. However, it's still early and he's signed for 3 years. Keep in mind that this board was also in love with Nemeth, Barbs, Beauchemin (yes, him), Holden and many other dmen soon after they joined the team. It can change quickly, let's hope he stays this way.
True. If he doesnt completely fall off a cliff the next few it would be a good signing.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Wow. I honestly did not expect that. I was hesitant to even go to this game because I thought the Oilers would eat us alive given how poorly we've played the last two weeks, but that was an exceptional game. Much needed. Some thoughts:

- Top line was ok. Not great by any means even though they did score twice, but they can be better. MacKinnon really needs to watch film of Mikko, though, and his effort. Nate just isn't dogged enough right now in his pursuit for pucks and in his battles. Mikko literally NEVER gives up on a play and fights tooth-and-nail to win that puck. If MacKinnon starts doing that, they could get hot again.

- Best game of the season for Tyson Barrie by far. It's just amazing how the dude can be pretty poor for ~90% of the season so far, and yet he's still on pace for 68 points. Unbelievable. And no, you can't just plug anyone in to his role and expect them to produce the way he produces. He puts up points for a reason, whether they're goals, primary assists, or secondary assists. Hopefully this is the start of a good stretch of play.

- I don't know if there's a defensemen in the league that plays Connor McDavid better than Nikita Zadorov, and I genuinely mean that. Maybe P.K. Subban, but Z just does a phenomenal job on him.

- God bless Carl Soderberg. I thought last season was bad having to play alongside Blake Comeau and Matt Nieto all year, and yet it's somehow gotten worse this season where he's saddled with ****ing Dries and Calvert. Yet the dude is on pace for 53 points. Played very well against the McDavid line tonight, too. Seemed like Bednar was making it a point to get Carl out against 97.

- Vlad Kamenev needs more ice time and better wingers. This kid is clearly an NHLer, and a skilled one at that. ****ing Gabriel Bourque damn near gave him a concussion tonight running into him. I like Kamenev on the PP from the left half wall. I'd really like to see him play with Andrighetto and Compher when those two get back from injury, and we can hopefully run 4 lines properly.

- Patrik Nemeth still stinks.

All in all, great win from the team. They needed this.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Wow. I honestly did not expect that. I was hesitant to even go to this game because I thought the Oilers would eat us alive given how poorly we've played the last two weeks, but that was an exceptional game. Much needed. Some thoughts:

- Top line was ok. Not great by any means even though they did score twice, but they can be better. MacKinnon really needs to watch film of Mikko, though, and his effort. Nate just isn't dogged enough right now in his pursuit for pucks and in his battles. Mikko literally NEVER gives up on a play and fights tooth-and-nail to win that puck. If MacKinnon starts doing that, they could get hot again.

- Best game of the season for Tyson Barrie by far. It's just amazing how the dude can be pretty poor for ~90% of the season so far, and yet he's still on pace for 68 points. Unbelievable. And no, you can't just plug anyone in to his role and expect them to produce the way he produces. He puts up points for a reason, whether they're goals, primary assists, or secondary assists. Hopefully this is the start of a good stretch of play.

- I don't know if there's a defensemen in the league that plays Connor McDavid better than Nikita Zadorov, and I genuinely mean that. Maybe P.K. Subban, but Z just does a phenomenal job on him.

- God bless Carl Soderberg. I thought last season was bad having to play alongside Blake Comeau and Matt Nieto all year, and yet it's somehow gotten worse this season where he's saddled with ****ing Dries and Calvert. Yet the dude is on pace for 53 points. Played very well against the McDavid line tonight, too. Seemed like Bednar was making it a point to get Carl out against 97.

- Vlad Kamenev needs more ice time and better wingers. This kid is clearly an NHLer, and a skilled one at that. ****ing Gabriel Bourque damn near gave him a concussion tonight running into him. I like Kamenev on the PP from the left half wall. I'd really like to see him play with Andrighetto and Compher when those two get back from injury, and we can hopefully run 4 lines properly.

- Patrik Nemeth still stinks.

All in all, great win from the team. They needed this.

Agreed especially the part about Kamenev and him being on the PP. We really need Ghetto and JTC back asap. Gabriel Bork is one of those guys who just always seems to have his stick caught up in something when battling for loose pucks. Its very strange. A loose puck could be in front of him but his stick will be behind his back attached to someone else. Guys just not an everyday player. I like his heart and it does seem like he tries out there but its just not good enough at this level. Spot duty sure you can do worse than GBork but an everyday NHL'er? Nah.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad