GDT: GAME 17: Avalanche @ Oilers - Signs of the Av-pocalypse

Is it time to panic?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Agreed especially the part about Kamenev and him being on the PP. We really need Ghetto and JTC back asap. Gabriel Bork is one of those guys who just always seems to have his stick caught up in something when battling for loose pucks. Its very strange. A loose puck could be in front of him but his stick will be behind his back attached to someone else. Guys just not an everyday player. I like his heart and it does seem like he tries out there but its just not good enough at this level. Spot duty sure you can do worse than GBork but an everyday NHL'er? Nah.
I've never seen a player use one hand on his stick more than Gabriel Bourque. It's maddening.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
We're pretty much all in the same boat. However, it's still early and he's signed for 3 years. Keep in mind that this board was also in love with Nemeth, Barbs, Beauchemin (yes, him), Holden and many other dmen soon after they joined the team. It can change quickly, let's hope he stays this way.

Think there's some key differences. Ian Cole is 29, he'll be 32 when his contracts ends which will be near the end of his prime. He also has had a great rapport with Pittsburgh who got to watch him for 4 years, and BJ fans only had good things to say after his brief stint with them as well. That's quite a bit different than Barbs and Nemeth, who both were 'additions by subtractions' from their former teams. Holden was AHL fodder who gets overplayed and Beauch was over the hill.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention is that I damn near pissed myself both laughing and terrified when I saw that the 2-on-1 we had in the 1st period was led by Girard and Barrie lmao. Thank god Girard's pass didn't go back up and out of the zone because I think the Oilers would have been going down 3-on-0.

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012
Oh one more thing I forgot to mention is that I damn near pissed myself both laughing and terrified when I saw that the 2-on-1 we had in the 1st period was led by Girard and Barrie lmao. Thank god Girard's pass didn't go back up and out of the zone because I think the Oilers would have been going down 3-on-0.

The wingers cover when the dman pinches. Worst case scenario, it would've been a 3 on 2.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The wingers cover when the dman pinches. Worst case scenario, it would've been a 3 on 2.
38BlfVp.png

Hesher

Sagan for President
Jan 22, 2013
Slovakia
I timed my vacation perfectly as I missed the last four games and all the doom and gloom. Excellent team effort, this was a nice way to put an end to that losing streak.

Reactions: StayPuft39

Soedy

All Hail Cale
Nov 27, 2012
Hamburg, Germany
We're pretty much all in the same boat. However, it's still early and he's signed for 3 years. Keep in mind that this board was also in love with Nemeth, Barbs, Beauchemin (yes, him), Holden and many other dmen soon after they joined the team. It can change quickly, let's hope he stays this way.

Except Cole is a lot younger than Beauch and way better than Nemeth and Barbs. The last two were waiver pickups so we didn't expect a lot from them. Completely different situations.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Difference is Cole is only 29, I have pretty good faith he can maintain at least 3rd pairing quality by the end of his deal.

Whereas guys like Beauchemin were on the wing side of 35, and Nemeth and Barbario are waiver guys. Cole actually has a track record as a reliable player.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
I don't think this board has ever been "in love" with either Nemeth or Barberio. They've been praised when they played well, yes, but I don't recall Landy-levels of swooning over either of them.

Cole's doing precisely what they asked him to do, provide stability on a blueline that desperately needs it, especially with Barrie and EJ starting as slow as they have. I mean...he's kind of the perfect #4 guy. I'm fairly certain his role will be reduced over time but right now he's flourishing in that role, and I think he'll start doing even better once Barrie finally finds that consistency.

Glad they won and showed a solid across-the-board effort in a game where Nathan MacKinnon was actually not that great. Rants and Landy were on their game, but MacK was fighting the puck more than a little last night. I also thought, nice McDavid stop aside, that Zadorov wasn't really spectacular either. Fumbled and mishandled pucks a little too much for my liking but I wouldn't say he was awful either.

Was the ice really bad or something last night? I thought the ice guy at the old Rexall Place was one of the best in the business--Edmonton had, for years, the best sheet of ice in the league. Has that changed, because the puck was bouncing way more than it usually does in Pepsi Center, at least by my observation.

Reactions: SaltySkywalker

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
BTW I noticed Bednar put Kamenev out there with Kerfoot and Jost, at first I thought that it was a result of a PK or whatever throwing off line combos but he did it again for the final shift of the game, so I'm guessing he wanted so see how those three would do, maybe also rewarding Kam with additional ice time given how well he was playing. I really wouldn't mind seeing that combo going forward more often, which would bump Wilson down to the 3rd line where he belongs and Calvert to the 4th...and in a perfect scenario Bourque out of the lineup entirely.

Ceremony

blahem
Jun 8, 2012
We might have our problems but the Oilers are f***ing rank

It must be awful, and I mean really demoralising to watch that on a yearly basis.

Reactions: RareDangles

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
We might have our problems but the Oilers are ****ing rank

It must be awful, and I mean really demoralising to watch that on a yearly basis.

Yah...especially seeing McDavid trying his damndest to pull a team full of boat anchors across the finish line. Dude's getting NO help out there, and while I'm sure some posters here will disagree, I thought Draisaitl was pretty meh out there last night. He only comes alive when they stick him on Connor's left wing.

Milan Lucic played something like 11 minutes, the fewest of any forward for Edmonton last night. That's still way too much time, meanwhile The Pizza-Eater stewed in the press box before finally being sent down to Bakersfield.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
I agree. I thought Z had a really good game, he wasn’t very noticeable for the most part but in a good way tonight. Just a good reliable shutdown performance.

Z has played a bunch of really solid defensive games in a row now, but he again showed what he's capable of shutting down McDavid. He just loves playing against him for some reasons and utilizes his reach and physicality so well against him.

Zadorov is on his way to becoming a very good shutdown defenseman. He's already figured out what kind of games he can be ultra physical in, and which kind of games he has to just be steady positionally and not run around too much.

He's also looked much more confidence skating with the puck and making plays lately too. Not anywhere near Girard or Barrie levels, but if he can continue to develop this aspect of his game, he'll be that dynamic defenseman the Avs hoped they were getting in the ROR trade.

I've always thought he was capable of doing more with the puck, but he needs the coaches to pump his tires and remind him what he's capable of, so he doesn't settle into a purely defensive role.

spiller19

Sep 23, 2013
Haven't posted in a long time. But last night was amazing I go to most games when the avs are in Edmonton and sometimes when they are in Calgary. The last time I saw them win live Darcy tucker scored the shout out winner lol. What a great game to see! Kamanev stood out the most to me I'd really like to see him get more ice time.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI
Z has played a bunch of really solid defensive games in a row now, but he again showed what he's capable of shutting down McDavid. He just loves playing against him for some reasons and utilizes his reach and physicality so well against him.

Zadorov is on his way to becoming a very good shutdown defenseman. He's already figured out what kind of games he can be ultra physical in, and which kind of games he has to just be steady positionally and not run around too much.

He's also looked much more confidence skating with the puck and making plays lately too. Not anywhere near Girard or Barrie levels, but if he can continue to develop this aspect of his game, he'll be that dynamic defenseman the Avs hoped they were getting in the ROR trade.

I've always thought he was capable of doing more with the puck, but he needs the coaches to pump his tires and remind him what he's capable of, so he doesn't settle into a purely defensive role.

Yup, I've always been extremely high on Z and he's really starting to play his game after struggling out of the gate. People need to remember that he's only 23 years old, it's not uncommon at all for defensemen to not hit their stride until they're 25 +.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Was the ice really bad or something last night? I thought the ice guy at the old Rexall Place was one of the best in the business--Edmonton had, for years, the best sheet of ice in the league. Has that changed, because the puck was bouncing way more than it usually does in Pepsi Center, at least by my observation.
That guy left the Oilers a long time ago to work for the league. The ice in Edmonton has been porous ever since.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

EscapedGoat

Jun 15, 2012

You said it would've been a 3 on 0 if the Oilers forced a turnover and went the other way. That was incorrect because the wingers would've been covering for the two dmen. Not sure why you replied like it was common sense when your original post made it seem like you were unaware of that fact.

Postanin CB Ting

Apr 6, 2012
Watching live Kam Rants and Z stood out most to me.

Video makes me dislike subban even more but he admits hes scared of Zads

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Watching live Kam Rants and Z stood out most to me.

Video makes me dislike subban even more but he admits hes scared of Zads

I thought that was hilarious. Hate to see Z get shit on but that was priceless. How do you even respond to that?

"f*** you're horrible"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad