GDT: Game #16: St. Louis Blues vs. Phoenix Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
According to the post game show, OEL proved he's going to be an elite player in the league tonight....I thought he was average at best.
If that even. Other than his goal, he did nothing for Phoenix. If anything, he helped us out more than he helped his own team. He wasn't very good. And that's being nice.

BigB

We Want Big Macs!
Nov 25, 2011
USA
Wow, Jaro looked like a big steaming turd in comparison to Smith.

Smith 39 total shots against, 37 saves, 2 goals allowed. Halak on 19 total shots against, comes up with a whopping 16 saves 3 goals allowed.

Our 5 outplayed their 5 big time, but their goalie made our goalie his *****.

I just DIED laughing! ROFL!!!! :biglaugh:

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Wow, Jaro looked like a big steaming turd in comparison to Smith.

Smith 39 total shots against, 37 saves, 2 goals allowed. Halak on 19 total shots against, comes up with a whopping 16 saves 3 goals allowed.

Our 5 outplayed their 5 big time, but their goalie made our goalie his *****.

Jaro was fine. He didn't lose this game for us, and he didn't play poorly. We didn't finish.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
You realize he only made 16 saves because only 19 shots got to him right? We were in their zone for the majority of the game, of course Halak isn't going to have a lot of saves, the pucks not even in our own zone. What an ignorant comment, I don't see how you can fault how many saves Halak made when he hardly saw any pucks come at him.

I can fault him because he gave up 3 goals on less than 20 shots, most would consider that a bad night.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
I can fault him because he gave up 3 goals on less than 20 shots, most would consider that a bad night.

Sure, if you add some context.

First goal - Moss in the slot, and Halak is screened by three of our guys. No real chance for him.

Second goal - Basically a 3-on-1, I don't see how he can be blamed for that.

Third goal - deflected off of Berglund, but probably the goal he had the best chance on out of the three. Some blame on Halak.

This game was not on Halak.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
1st goal- totally screened and never saw it
2nd goal- 2 on 1 one timer
3rd goal- deflection

Not sure Brodeur or Roy would have done better

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
Or...not. Most would take the whole game in context. He didn't give up any terrible goals. Most teams tend to lose games like that when they don't put the other team away when they have the chance. Halak had nothing to do with us losing.

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Man, the team Canada selection committee would be just stupid not to have Jbo and Petro as a pairing.

and Smith (I got that right correct).

Goalies can steal games. Thats what happened tonight. Yeah we missed chances. But I've seen this script before.

we have converted scoring chances pretty well so far this season imo. tonight did feel like the classic blues playoff game but im not going to go there. playing well

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Or...not. Most would take the whole game in context. He didn't give up any terrible goals. Most teams tend to lose games like that when they don't put the other team away when they have the chance. Halak had nothing to do with us losing.

This. yes - agree.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
1st goal- totally screened and never saw it
2nd goal- 2 on 1 one timer
3rd goal- deflection

Not sure Brodeur or Roy would have done better
This is right.

The Blues lost this game because of a couple bad plays by forwards on giveaways in their own end, and the neutral zone, and Mike Smith making a bunch of great saves, and on a couple forwards not lifting the puck high enough or not quite having enough puck control on a few scoring chances.

Some nights the puck goes in, and some not. That is why a contending team needs a few forwards that can create their own offence even against good defensive teams with excellent goaltenders. The Blues still need to add a difference-making forward, or have one graduate from within (Tarasenko, Steen, Schwartz, Oshie). Clearly, Roy and Morrow are not going to help a lot in the playoffs, playing as they have been, lately.

Llewzaher

Aug 2, 2005
North America
honestly can't believe we won , after hearing Vrbata , Hanzal , Morris were out , was pretty scared we were going to lose and lose big . Was surprised we were ahead after the first .

Awesome game by the Blues , you guys are going to win more than you lose by playing like that . Yotes better get healthy and get their act together by next game .They really looked like disinterested especially in the third .

PitchDoug

Nov 27, 2011
Well I kept watching NBCSN and the Rivals week coverage for Flyers-Pens. Awesome. My girlfriend lost a bet and has to watch hockey with me some Saturday. That might be the pregame.

DeuceNine

Like You Read About
Aug 6, 2006
Stymieville
Then you don't understand goaltending -- like 98% of every other Blues fan.

Higher shot counts get you into a rhythm and involved. Low counts where you have long stretches of inactivity are incredibly difficult to overcome for some guys. The last goal in particular was deflected with a mild screen. Smith wouldn't have stopped it either.

PerpetualTankYear

Doan 3:16
Mar 27, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
Hey guys, just wanted to stop by and say sorry about that "lollipop" guy on the main boards. Im pretty sure he isn't a Yotes fan (haven't seen him on our board, and can't see the avatar because I'm on mobile) and if he is, then we're sorry.

Good game guys. I appreciate a classy fan base such as yourselves.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Despite this, I've had few problems with Berglund's game so far this season. He is great at controlling the puck in the offensive zone and has led to a lot of excellent pressure. As long as his teammates are scoring, I'm not going to hate on Bergy.
Steen is scoring, the rest of the forwards will need to step up at some point, so no I'm not content with Berglund having 1 goal. I agree he hasn't played bad, but it's the same case with Stewart. We need production from everyone.

Vip

Coyotes/Cardinals/Jazz/RSL
Jul 25, 2010
Good game guys. You are a good bunch. Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad