GDT: Game #16: St. Louis Blues vs. Phoenix Coyotes

Status
Not open for further replies.

rivoshy 1774

Oct 9, 2013
ontario, Can
Sure, if you add some context.

First goal - Moss in the slot, and Halak is screened by three of our guys. No real chance for him.

Second goal - Basically a 3-on-1, I don't see how he can be blamed for that.

Third goal - deflected off of Berglund, but probably the goal he had the best chance on out of the three. Some blame on Halak.

This game was not on Halak.

Bottom line, Smith made big save after big save, Halak did not.

PerryTurnbullfan

Sep 30, 2006
Penalty Box
A couple things...

I'm really liking Cole's play this season. I think staying away from the minors where they were expecting him to be everything the Blues don't want him to be here is really what is helping. Maybe the influence of Leopold in just keeping things simple is just what he needed to have.

Sobotka needs to be switched with Lapierre or someone else for a while. He's a utility guy and it seemed to show last night as I wasn't real sure what he was trying to accomplish at times offensively. He looked like a 4th line energy player last night.

I don't have a big problem with the effort from anyone. May not hurt to shake the lines up to find some chemistry and some goals. Oshie, Shatty, and Berglund made mistakes and the Coyotes cashed in on them. Coyotes are a good team.

Just some line ideas that would require some guys to switch to off wings.

Steen Backes Tarasenko
Oshie Roy Stewart
Schwartz Berglund Lapierre
Reaves Sobotka Morrow

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
This is right.

The Blues lost this game because of a couple bad plays by forwards on giveaways in their own end, and the neutral zone, and Mike Smith making a bunch of great saves, and on a couple forwards not lifting the puck high enough or not quite having enough puck control on a few scoring chances.

Some nights the puck goes in, and some not. That is why a contending team needs a few forwards that can create their own offence even against good defensive teams with excellent goaltenders. The Blues still need to add a difference-making forward, or have one graduate from within (Tarasenko, Steen, Schwartz, Oshie). Clearly, Roy and Morrow are not going to help a lot in the playoffs, playing as they have been, lately.

This is what I was thinking as the game went on, they need that dynamic forward that will give them a real scoring threat from another line. I think if this difference maker was paired with Tarasenko (if they were able to get him without giving up 91), they would take a set forward in closing out these tight games.

I'm sorry, blaming Halak for every loss, is just lazy.

CitizenSnips

TheFightingMongooses
Nov 23, 2011
St. Louis
Halak was not to blame last night. Smith did come through for the Yotes but it was not a bad night for Jaro, he just didn't get the breaks.

I was at the game and I cannot believe we even got one point out of that. We didn't start playing at all until the 3rd period. We got the shots but they were not quality and there was some downright awful play out of some of our guys, Oshie and Cole come to mind, and Petro didn't have his best game for sure. Shattenkirk and JBow played well though. We need the Backes and Berglund line to start picking it up again if we are going to beat some of the better teams in the west.

I left very disappointed, not because they got the goal in overtime, but because they didn't play a full 60 minutes...again.

JustOneB4IDie

Duel Cancer Survivor
Jan 31, 2011
Imperial, Missouri
I was at the game in section 113 and the Blues with the exception of the 1st goal got absolutely no traffic at all in front of Smith and did not take advantage of Smith's terrible puckhandling skills either. The game was much like all the Playoff games vs. the Kings last spring. And C'mon man, you can not give up a odd man rush in the last minute of a period or more then likely, you will get burned and it cost the Blues yet another point in a game they should have easily won. Very frustrating game to watch last night.

bluesman11

Robert Johnson
Mar 19, 2010
Halak was not to blame last night. Smith did come through for the Yotes but it was not a bad night for Jaro, he just didn't get the breaks.

I was at the game and I cannot believe we even got one point out of that. We didn't start playing at all until the 3rd period. We got the shots but they were not quality and there was some downright awful play out of some of our guys, Oshie and Cole come to mind, and Petro didn't have his best game for sure. Shattenkirk and JBow played well though. We need the Backes and Berglund line to start picking it up again if we are going to beat some of the better teams in the west.

I left very disappointed, not because they got the goal in overtime, but because they didn't play a full 60 minutes...again.

I agree, they just don't seem to play with the same grit for 60 minutes every game, I was surprised after each period that they were out shooting PX, except for the third. This was a sub-par effort and I just don't understand why this group of guys have such a hard time giving a consistent effort, with the exception of about 1/3 of the team, and they're the leaders.

But they must all be lead by example guys, and from what I've seen of their personalities, it seems to be the case. Maybe it's because their all young and they grew up together, but I wish they had a Pronger type personality on this team. Now I realize most of these guys are 25 or younger, but a few of these guys have to start expecting their teammates to give as much as they are every night.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
So I can't lie, I'm really starting to come around on Lapierre. He's looked a ton better since he came back from his suspension. I mean I still think the guy is a dirty rat, but his play is much improved and that fourth line actually looks like a threat to score.

cobra427

May 6, 2012

Coyote fan here...The Blues are the best team we have faced all year. I thought the first period was pretty even, after that the Blues owned us. If the Blues did not play well in that game, I would be afraid to play them when they are playing well. This was also Smiths best game this year...Good luck, you have a great team...

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
This is what I was thinking as the game went on, they need that dynamic forward that will give them a real scoring threat from another line. I think if this difference maker was paired with Tarasenko (if they were able to get him without giving up 91), they would take a set forward in closing out these tight games.

I'm sorry, blaming Halak for every loss, is just lazy.

Imagine a center like Giroux/Spezza/Backstrom on a line with Tarasenko, that would be deadly.

Daley Tarasenkshow

Schennsational
Nov 7, 2012
St. Louis MO
So I can't lie, I'm really starting to come around on Lapierre. He's looked a ton better since he came back from his suspension. I mean I still think the guy is a dirty rat, but his play is much improved and that fourth line actually looks like a threat to score.

This. Lappy has played very well, and Reaves is playing better than ever. If this line keeps being matched up against week defensive players, they will continue to produce as they have already done.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
This 60 minutes crap has to stop.

Playing for 60 minutes barely exists in this league over a full season. Ask Blackhawks fans if they think their team is playing a full 60 minutes this year.

The Blues lost last night because they couldn't score. It wasn't their effort that was the problem.

I mean time and time again you hear teams around the NHL say how the Blues are the hardest working team they have faced. So, I don't know what else you guys want. Them to absolutely dominate control the entire time every game? Not gonna happen. This team's work ethic is absolutely not the problem, not even close. The problem is that sometimes we will have trouble scoring goals, just like it has been for the past couple years. They give consistent effort more than maybe every other team in the league.

Not to point the finger at Sobotka but I wish his shot wasn't so weak. He should put more pucks on goal, I constantly see him get scoring chances and instead he pulls up, skates back in a half circle and looks for a pass. Frustrating.

4th-line, and the Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo pairing were the bright spots for me last night. They look like they have played together for 11 years.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO

Playing for 60 minutes barely exists in this league over a full season. Ask Blackhawks fans if they think their team is playing a full 60 minutes this year.

The Blues lost last night because they couldn't score. It wasn't their effort that was the problem.

I mean time and time again you hear teams around the NHL say how the Blues are the hardest working team they have faced. So, I don't know what else you guys want. Them to absolutely dominate control the entire time every game? Not gonna happen. This team's work ethic is absolutely not the problem, not even close. The problem is that sometimes we will have trouble scoring goals, just like it has been for the past couple years. They give consistent effort more than maybe every other team in the league.

Not to point the finger at Sobotka but I wish his shot wasn't so weak. He should put more pucks on goal, I constantly see him get scoring chances and instead he pulls up, skates back in a half circle and looks for a pass. Frustrating.

4th-line, and the Bouwmeester-Pietrangelo pairing were the bright spots for me last night. They look like they have played together for 11 years.
Which is why the more I think about it, the more I start to think this team needs a game breaking goal scorer more than it needs another center.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Lot of overreaction here. If the Blues can outchance opponents that dramatically all year, they'll win the Presidents Trophy and be one of the favorites for the Cup.

The first period, I think Phoenix outplayed the Blues at their own system. Smith deserves credit for a great game. (Bouwmeester does, too.)

But the last half of the game the ice was tilted and the Coyotes were desperately trying to hang on. They were extremely fortunate to steal 2 points from that game.

Phoenix is a legit team, and look as good as anyone in that division. But I feel better about the Blues' chances in a 7 game series against them than I did before the game.

I think the line combos will be better when MPS returns. I don't expect him to be an offensive dynamo, but he's reliable and fast. He will allow Hitchcock to shape the 2nd line into something more consistent.

I also agree that Armstrong will make a trade at the deadline to try and bring in an offensive threat.

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Which is why the more I think about it, the more I start to think this team needs a game breaking goal scorer more than it needs another center.

Don't think we need one. Each game Tarasenko seems to be more confident than the last. It's not even a 1/4th through the season, I'm expecting him to breakout anytime now. Right now we are 4th in the NHL in GPG and 6th in GA, some games the puck just doesn't go into the net. Mike Smith played very well and was a major reason why we didn't get more. There are 82 games in a season and we are only at 16, I think some of us just need to relax on wanting to change anything because the Blues have been playing very well this season and even when we are losing games our opponents see what we have.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Funny, after the last couple games I'm feeling better about the Blues chances this season in an overall sense than I was when they were shutting out the Panthers. The Blues have had long stretches where they dominated play against top teams, and the forecheck is getting back to its former level of dangerousness.

The team is absorbing a few injuries without losing any tangible potency. I really like their chances against Colorado....I think its going to be a big statement game.

Em etah Eh

Maroon PP
Jul 17, 2007
Was glad to see Hitch send Oshie a message by sending him down. He had some really bad plays early on trying to do too much. I probably said WTF Oshie, like 5 times in the first 40 minutes, and especially on the goal where he buttered a backhand pass up the middle. He looked better after being bumped down, so it looks like he took the message.

I disagree with whoever said Petro didn't look good last night, I thought he controlled play very well.

Shattenkirik, for all the spark he brings offensively, he seems to have at least one or two horrible pinch fails that lead to really really good chances against each game. Would have liked Halak to steal one of those goals, but they were pretty much grade A chances so I'm not putting the loss on him.

I still think Miller would be a pretty darn good upgrade (depending on the price).

halaktarasenkofan

Jan 25, 2013
Was glad to see Hitch send Oshie a message by sending him down. He had some really bad plays early on trying to do too much. I probably said WTF Oshie, like 5 times in the first 40 minutes, and especially on the goal where he buttered a backhand pass up the middle. He looked better after being bumped down, so it looks like he took the message.

I disagree with whoever said Petro didn't look good last night, I thought he controlled play very well.

Shattenkirik, for all the spark he brings offensively, he seems to have at least one or two horrible pinch fails that lead to really really good chances against each game. Would have liked Halak to steal one of those goals, but they were pretty much grade A chances so I'm not putting the loss on him.

I still think Miller would be a pretty darn good upgrade (depending on the price).

he did it against Montreal !! he give you two points against montreal! what do u want for this guy!! he can't no steal every games for the blues. the team need to stop making so many mistake!!!:shakehead

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

This so much right here! For all of you saying we didn't play hard, just ridiculious, we completely dominated a very good Yote team. The effort was there and then some, Smith was just a machine we couldn't get anything past. It wasn't because of lack of effort from the rest of the team, they just couldn't get anything past Smith, and the Yoyes didn't have the same problem with Halak.

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL

I think you are 100% spot-on, right on the money! If we could just get that gamebreaker this team would be about as unstoppable as a NHL hockey team can be. But who would that player be, and what would we have to give up to get them?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad