GDT: GAME 16 | Islanders @ Senators | (Finally)Back in Black(Friday) Edition | Fri Nov 24th 2023, 7:30PM | TSN5, RDS

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Last 13 games for Ottawa -

Korpisalo: 4-2 / .921 sv% / 2.79 gaa
Forsberg: 1-4 / .814 sv% / 4.45 gaa

I just can't quite put my finger on what the problem is though...
Sure, Anton hasn't been great. There's more problems and more to fix than just that though. They are not playing well enough in other facets of the game to be a good team.

Reactions: LiseL

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
This teams terrible. Weakest team I've ever seen mentally. I've now been to 6 straight home loses. Anyone wants to buy my tickets off me in section 208 row B they are for sale. I'm done.

He wasn't good no excuses for him. But he's not this teams issue. Born losers. Fold the moment they have any expectations. Fold the moment they have adversity. As soon as that game like many this year got close they had nothing. Just like last year when they got close to a playoff spot. Pathetic performance.
How do you really feel Bert 😁

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Sure, Anton hasn't been great. There's more problems and more to fix than just that though. They are not playing well enough in other facets of the game to be a good team.
Sure. Teams can always play better.

But here's the thing. Forsberg really hasn't given us a chance to win. And it really doesn't matter how well you play if your goalie doesn't give you a chance.

It's an extreme example but look at the Carolina game last night. They gave up 14 shots and got pumped.

I'd argue they're not getting good enough goaltending to build momentum towards becoming a good team

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Sure. Teams can always play better.

But here's the thing. Forsberg really hasn't given us a chance to win. And it really doesn't matter how well you play if your goalie doesn't give you a chance.

It's an extreme example but look at the Carolina game last night. They gave up 14 shots and got pumped.

I'd argue they're not getting good enough goaltending to build momentum towards becoming a good team
We collapsed in 2nd period. Three goals allowed in 3 minutes approx. I don't think Forsberg was to blame for all of those goals.

I mean if Forsberg's goaltending was the only problem this team had, then Korpisalo wouldn't have 4 losses (he has a 5 W 4 L record).

I agree, we need better goaltending from Anton. But, that isn't our only problem and that won't fix all that needs to be fixed to be a good team. I'm putting some emphasis on being a good team versus one that barely manages to squeak into the playoffs.

Last edited:
Reactions: LiseL and Alex1234

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Which is even more damning of Forsberg.
To be fair to Forsberg, Korpisalo has gotten more offensive support, but ya, Forsberg hasn't been great. He can and needs to be better even if some goals aren't his fault and the stats aren't fully showing the quality of chances against

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
That argument would a lot more salient if the goalies weren't on the same team. The Sens play the same system in front of both goalies. One guy posts excellent numbers - .921 sv% and 2.79 gaa with a 4-2 record - while the other guy stinks to high heaven. I'm not saying there aren't problems on the defensive side to address but the split stats are outrageous here. Forsberg is costing this team games. Period.

Reactions: LiseL and albator71

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
That argument would a lot more salient if the goalies weren't on the same team. The Sens play the same system in front of both goalies. One guy posts excellent numbers - .921 sv% and 2.79 gaa with a 4-2 record - while the other guy stinks to high heaven. I'm not saying there aren't problems on the defensive side to address but the split stats are outrageous here. Forsberg is costing this team games. Period.
I mean if Forsberg's goaltending was the only problem this team had, then Korpisalo wouldn't have 4 losses (he has a 5 W 4 L record). This team has other issues as well, but I won't get into a prolonged back & forth on this with you (or anyone). I'm putting emphasis on the word "only" as I think this teams has multiple issues in addition to weak goaltending from Forsberg.

Last edited:

albator71

Jan 12, 2010
CANADA
Too many posters around here are minimizing the importance of goaltending have on a team. Just look at Vancouver they are 21st in HDCA/60 with 12,37 but they're goaltenders are 1st in HDSV% with 86,36. The Sens are 19th in HDCA/60 with 12,12 but they are 26th in HDSV% with 78.26. So Vancouver can rely on top quality goaltending to keep them in games while the Sens can't.

I'm not saying that goaltending is the only problem but it is a problem, you can't win in this league on a consistent basis if your team SV% is 26th best. Yes our defensive "structure" has to improve but our goaltending has been sub par so far also, they are not keeping us in the game when the team needs it.

Last edited:

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
Too many posters around here are minimizing the importance of goaltending have on a team. Just look at Vancouver they are 21st in HDCA/60 with 12,37 but they're goaltenders are 1st in HDSV% with 86,36. The Sens are 19th in HDCA/60 with 12,12 but they are 26th in HDSV% with 78.26. So Vancouver can rely on top quality goaltending to keep them in games while the Sens can't.

I'm not saying that goaltending is the only problem but it is a problem, you can't win in this league on a consistent basis if your team SV% is 26th best. Yes are defensive "structure" has to improve but our goaltending has been sub par so far also, they are not keeping us in the game when the team needs it.
Oversimplification. I doubt that. If anything, I'd say some posters are looking for that single, smoking gun reason to blame everything on. I doubt that many posters are oblivious to the importance of goaltending. Again, imho its oversimplification.

Reactions: NB613 and Bileur

SensHulk

May 31, 2016
San Jose, CA
Why is it goalies perform much better outside our team than on our team? We’re doing *something* wrong

That said, that was a terrible 4th goal for forsberg to allow

Reactions: Crosside

Mark Stones Spleen

Jan 17, 2008
T.O.

I'm not saying that goaltending is the only problem but it is a problem, you can't win in this league on a consistent basis if your team SV% is 26th best. Yes are defensive "structure" has to improve but our goaltending has been sub par so far also, they are not keeping us in the game when the team.

Every year the goalie excuse is there. Yeah we don't have a top 5 goalie but it doesn't matter who our goalie is, he's not going to do well on our team.
Gustavsson leaves and in his first year on a new team goes 22-9-7, .931, 2.10
Talbot, who everyone thought was complete shit goes to a new team and all of a sudden he's 10-3-1, .931, 2.02.

Why can't these exact same goalies produce anything similar on our team just one year before? We've upgraded our d over the DJ years but the goalies still stink. Korpi's sv % was higher (albeit slightly) last year on a horrible Columbus team (25-48-9) than it is right now, and got better after he was traded to LA. His Sv% during his time on LA, puts him 6th best in the league last year. Removing goalies that have only played a couple games, he's in the 20s this year. So is he the problem or is somebody who can't figure out how to enforce any semblance of a d zone structure the issue?

Sensrule

Aug 30, 2007
I'm sure it's been pointed out earlier, but we haven't yet seen the true team. This schedule has been awkward so the guys haven't been able to get in a groove. I think we have two games in hand on everyone else. Once December kicks in where we have a more 'normal' schedule per-say with not as long breaks in between games, then we'll see where this team truly is. It's been frustrating to say the least since we've wasted this home heavy schedule thus far.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
Firing a despised useless coach who has been an ALBATROSS for 3+ seasons is NOT = interfering in daily hockey ops like setting line combos or PP strategy. See the difference?

"Despised = to feel a strong dislike for someone or something because you think that that person or thing is bad or has no value (Cambridge English dictionary)"
Got it. You’re not an advocate for following the chain of command, and letting those responsible for hockey operations do their jobs. Who needs a new GM, why hire one, and might as well get rid of the POHO too… let’s go with a one man show.

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
We get it. This is your favorite theme. Might be time to move on to something else - a little variety here & there. LOL.
As long as there are holdovers from the previous owner MO, who are calling for the new owner to run roughshod over the hockey operations, like his predecessor, then, as before, I will call them out, didn’t like it then,and don’t want it to happen now.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
As long as there are holdovers from the previous owner MO, who are calling for the new owner to run roughshod over the hockey operations, like his predecessor, then, as before, I will call them out, didn’t like it then,and don’t want it to happen now.
Thanks for your noble crusade and for drawing attention to this non-existent problem. LOL.

Reactions: Bileur and Alex1234

Pierre from Orleans

May 9, 2007
Every year the goalie excuse is there. Yeah we don't have a top 5 goalie but it doesn't matter who our goalie is, he's not going to do well on our team.
Gustavsson leaves and in his first year on a new team goes 22-9-7, .931, 2.10
Talbot, who everyone thought was complete shit goes to a new team and all of a sudden he's 10-3-1, .931, 2.02.

Why can't these exact same goalies produce anything similar on our team just one year before? We've upgraded our d over the DJ years but the goalies still stink. Korpi's sv % was higher (albeit slightly) last year on a horrible Columbus team (25-48-9) than it is right now, and got better after he was traded to LA. His Sv% during his time on LA, puts him 6th best in the league last year. Removing goalies that have only played a couple games, he's in the 20s this year. So is he the problem or is somebody who can't figure out how to enforce any semblance of a d zone structure the issue?
Like.

You put a prime Hasek in front of this puke bucket of a defensive structure and he'd permanently wreck his adductor muscle.

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa
I mean if Forsberg's goaltending was the only problem this team had, then Korpisalo wouldn't have 4 losses (he has a 5 W 4 L record). This team has other issues as well, but I won't get into a prolonged back & forth on this with you (or anyone). I'm putting emphasis on the word "only" as I think this teams has multiple issues in addition to weak goaltending from Forsberg.
No one thinks it's the only problem, some of us think it's currently the biggest problem. He got scored on by Wahlstrom at 6:14 of the second, made 2 saves while NYI were on the PP, gave up a PP goal to Barzal at 9:51 and then gave up a goal to Lee at 9:57. He gave up 3 goals on 5 shots in about 3.5 minutes in a period where he faced 9 shots total. You just can't win in the NHL with that kind of goaltending. Look at the way the team plays in front of him, they have no confidence in his game. It's just all panic back there because they know any shot from anywhere on the ice in any situation at any time of the game can go in.

I looked at goalie stats for individual seasons in Ottawa in terms of sv% with at least 5 games started in a single year. So, basically, I didn't include any of the guys who played a game here or there on an emergency basis and I didn't include guys who only came in to a game after a goalie had been pulled.

In Senators team history, his current .850 save percentage is 79th...out of 79. That includes expansion years when the team was an unholy shit show on the ice.

The system that DJ needs to implement in front of this guy is to eliminate shots against completely.

I've already said that DJ needs to go. Not because he's a terrible coach or whatever but because we need a new message and vision behind the bench. But f*** me this kind of goaltending is impossible to coach for. You just can't win in the NHL with these kinds of numbers. It's literally impossible.

HF Reader

Jan 20, 2018
We get it. This is your favorite theme. Might be time to move on to something else - a little variety here & there. LOL.
Got it, you’re in favour of a Meddling owner sticking his nose into the day to day operations of the hockey side of the franchise, undermining the POHO that he hired to take care of that side of the franchise operations….. So I guess he should just let Steve Staios go then, right?

I wouldn't argue with your thoughts on chain of command. I'm curious though. Do you think POHO should replace DJ now or soon (or should have)?

Last edited:

Alex1234

Oct 14, 2014
Just quoting you to make sure everybody understands but don't be shy to repeat your point again and again and again
Just in case

I'm sure it's been pointed out earlier, but we haven't yet seen the true team. This schedule has been awkward so the guys haven't been able to get in a groove. I think we have two games in hand on everyone else. Once December kicks in where we have a more 'normal' schedule per-say with not as long breaks in between games, then we'll see where this team truly is. It's been frustrating to say the least since we've wasted this home heavy schedule thus far.
Exactly
And you know what?
There's always next season
Or next
Or never

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Got it. You’re not an advocate for following the chain of command, and letting those responsible for hockey operations do their jobs. Who needs a new GM, why hire one, and might as well get rid of the POHO too… let’s go with a one man show.
Keep going. I love it.

You loved it then. Stop.

These threads are full of people asking, demanding, suggesting or thinking that The Owner should fire the coach or trade some player or whatever
These threads are full of people who do U Turns.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad