GDT: Game 16| Detroit Red Wings at Winnipeg Jets | November 4, 2013, 8:00 PM. | FSD

Status
Not open for further replies.

detredWINgs

Jan 1, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
Kindl -3
Almqvist -2
Quincey: -1 and worse than that

Our bottom 4 on defense is turrible.

This is the kind of game where we actually needed Quincey to be an adequate middle-pairing defenseman. And for the umpteenth time, he wasn't. The more Wings games I watch, the more I'd rather see Lilja come out of retirement and play for 550k than see Quincey lace them up, knowing he's making nearly $4M to suck ass and contribute to our cap issues.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Call me crazy but I prefer defensemen that can play defense.

Just scrolled through the game sheet.

Summary seems to be:

We got beat on every line by every player and were outshot horribly.
Entire team played bad.

I did notice 1 goal was due to Helm give-away. Thats on him.

I bet Cleary/Quincey are not to blame for this game.

Sounds like Kindl had a bad night, but he had MANY great night before so I am ok with it.

Quincey in all truth should be better considering he is the 2nd highest paid D-man on our team.
He should be the #2. I think clearly our top 4 D men are: Kronwall, Ericsson, Dekeyser, Kindl Currently. Quincey should be let go simply because for 4M, we could find another offensive guy, or just let smith develop on the cheap, and use that money for a forward. Or an 18th forward!! LOL

ICdave

May 11, 2009
Winnipeg, Manitoba
www.illegalcurve.com
Wings post-game

Wings-bench-November-4-2013-300x200.jpg

Audio: Coach Babcock, Helm, Tootoo, Zetterberg, Kronwall.

To listen click here.

Having spent 3 years in Michigan for school it was good to see the Winged Wheel again.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
Judging solely from the third period, this seems like a game to just let go of and forget about. they played poorly on the end of a long road trip with some key guys out and a lot of younger guys in the lineup. It happens, so wait and see what the next game is like.

skinneh

#FireHolland
Jul 17, 2009
Winnipeg
Poor game. Outshot something like 47 to 24.. There was only so much Howard could do. Cleary sucks even more live!

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI
Judging solely from the third period, this seems like a game to just let go of and forget about. they played poorly on the end of a long road trip with some key guys out and a lot of younger guys in the lineup. It happens, so wait and see what the next game is like.

I agree. As much as I ripped Quincey and Cleary tonight, the team besides Howie played like poop and got outworked severely.

Hopefully we can get back on track again against Dallas.

As I mentioned, I'll take a 3-1 road trip. :)

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005
Almqvist did not look good IMO. Was not showing off his vaunted hockey sense in getting caught out of position or with his head turned, and lost some crucial puck and positioning battles in the slot.

Dude's not big enough to defend around the net at the NHL level. If he scores 50 points a year, that's forgivable.

I don't think he's going to score 50 points a year.

Ouellet looked light years better in his debut and he's only been a pro for a couple of weeks.

Mickey Redmond*

Nov 2, 2010
How many breakaways did they have tonight? It was at least 4. Given that and the fact they fired over 40 shots on goal it could have been worse. How Quincey is even in the NHL is beyond me. The guy coughs up the puck at center ice, then falls flat on his face as one of the opposing player casually takes the puck, comes in all alone and then scores.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Saw my first live Wings game tonight. Not happy with the result but happy I finally got to see them live.

A few notes:

- Quincey shouldn't be playing. I know it's beating a dead horse but Smith, DeKeyser, Almqvist, Ouellet and Quincey all make rookie mistakes but Quincey doesn't have the excuse of actually being a rookie.

- Almqvist did not look out of place. As noted by many, he needs to put on muscle. Mostly to gain more explosiveness, not necessarily speed or agility. If he does, I don't see his size being an impediment to his career.

- Cleary was shuffled through a few different lines. The only one he wasn't tried on was the 4th line, where he belongs. Not a particularly bad game for him, just par for the course. He's just an offence smotherer at this point, almost like a 3rd defenseman (for the other team). Noticed a couple times near the end of the game where Kindl was skating up ice with the puck and didn't pass to an open Cleary. I feel bad because I like Cleary personally, just his time is over.

- Tatar was pretty much the only player I saw really hustling late in the game when down by 2. I like his hunger.

- Weiss is finally improving and what happens? He gets pulled off his centre position and put on Zetterberg's wing.

- I bet a few of you were having conniptions seeing Cleary on Datsyuk's line near the end of the game.

- I don't know if I've ever witnessed the Wings give up so many breakaways in a game.

- Don't want to seem like a sore loser but the officiating was lacking. The Wings absolutely deserved their penalties but there were a few non-calls against the Jets. For example, after Tootoo threw a big (clean) hit, he was double-teamed by a couple Jets players. He wasn't fighting back. Definitely should have been a roughing penalty.

- Not a good game by Datsyuk. Just one of those games where his timing seems off.

- Bogosian checked Helm on the end boards at one point. Gave a few extra shoves to Helm's back afterwards. Lost whatever respect I had for Bogosian there.

- Crowd was booing Alfie when he touched the puck, not sure why.

- Overall a bad effort (obviously). They were just always a step behind. Whether it's intercepting a pass, receiving a pass, getting a shot opportunity, etc., always a step behind.

- I won't put too much stock in this showing, seems like one of those aberrations.

Eastopia

Custom Title User
May 26, 2012
Ouellet looked lightyears better than Smith too and I disagree that Almqvist was bad. I think he did okay, just hard to look good in your first game when no one else on your team plays like they give a damn.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
^ I didn't hear them booing Alfie in the TV version, but they said in the pregame that Winnipeg fans boo one player every time they touch the puck every game as a sort of running gag.

TouringReg

Sep 27, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Confirmed: Lashoff and Quincey are even worse in person than on TV.

I know Det only had one full PP, but man, is it tough seeing Cleary out there on the 2nd unit.

Thought Tootoo brought a lot of energy. Might have been a different game if Helm potted his chance or Pav didn't knock the net off and put it in. Regardless, Detroit looked really slow and ready to go home.

Wish I could see the Wings live more than once a year!

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
^ I didn't hear them booing Alfie in the TV version, but they said in the pregame that Winnipeg fans boo one player every time they touch the puck every game as a sort of running gag.

Maybe. I've never really heard about that. Would seem kinda hard for 15,000 people to coordinate who they're going to boo like that. They booed Subban at the Canadiens game I went to. Him I can understand because he's such a big personality but Alfie's such a humble, understated guy. If anyone, I would have expected them to boo Bert.

hot dog

Mar 20, 2013
Maybe. I've never really heard about that. Would seem kinda hard for 15,000 people to coordinate who they're going to boo like that. They booed Subban at the Canadiens game I went to. Him I can understand because he's such a big personality but Alfie's such a humble, understated guy. If anyone, I would have expected them to boo Bert.

Yeah odd it'd be Alfie. I'd think Bert, Kronwall, and Franzen (if playing) would be the most likely targets for boo-able Wings. Maybe Abby but I doubt anyone would care enough about him.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Confirmed: Lashoff and Quincey are even worse in person than on TV.

I know Det only had one full PP, but man, is it tough seeing Cleary out there on the 2nd unit.

Thought Tootoo brought a lot of energy. Might have been a different game if Helm potted his chance or Pav didn't knock the net off and put it in. Regardless, Detroit looked really slow and ready to go home.

Wish I could see the Wings live more than once a year!

Agree wholeheartedly about Quincey. Not so much about Lashoff. He made a couple nice defensive plays tonight. Didn't he also intercept a puck that led to a good scoring chance at some point?

Also agree about Cleary. As I said in an earlier post, he's an offence smotherer. Whether it's a missed pass reception, a bad pass to someone else, losing a board battle, a giveaway, etc. Cleary is routinely killing the offence of whatever line he's put on.

Definitely agree on the bolded!

scelaton

Jul 5, 2012

It's not hard to coordinate at all--you should come to more Jets games and you'd see that hot dog is correct--the Jets fans love to hate the other team's key players and the 'booing' is a convoluted sign of respect. Subban was a no-brainer, as he is a polarizing figure, but Alfie has gained a lot of notoriety this year as well. Goalies are the favourite targets and Howard was roundly teased tonight to try to get him off his (outstanding) game. BTW, the 'targets' are not generally booed, but rather good naturally teased (cries of HOWWWWARRD or ALLLFIE). It's all a manifestation of the passion for the game that exists in the Peg.
Final point: Many of the knowledgable posters on the Jets board use the Red Wings organization as the role model for how the Jets would like to be when they grow up. Imitation, and what some refer to as 'booing' can be a most sincere form of flattery.

bullocks

Jun 26, 2007
Toronto
Knew this game would be a loss. Jets getting spanked in their last game coupled with the Wings going 3-0 on their road trip was never going to equal a win.

Oct 18, 2006
Quincey is the worst defenseman I've seen in the NHL this year. He is awful, oh my goodness does he suck. He is SO SLOW. He loses an edge all the time.

And Cleary just sucks, and is the worst puck possession player on the team.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
Yeah odd it'd be Alfie. I'd think Bert, Kronwall, and Franzen (if playing) would be the most likely targets for boo-able Wings. Maybe Abby but I doubt anyone would care enough about him.

Jets fan here. We boo the players who are the best, not based on personality. Alfie is a great player and person. It was a salute, not a beatdown.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Jets fan here. We boo the players who are the best, not based on personality. Alfie is a great player and person. It was a salute, not a beatdown.

If that's the case, then you should have booed for Dats and Zeta. But maybe you have so much respect against them that it was easier to pick Alfie. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad