GDT: Game 15 - Nashville @ Colorado - 8PM 11/7

BleedWell

Jan 6, 2018
Cole and Wilson played really well.
Other than that it was good old Avs hockey.
Our own pick might be higher than Ottawa's.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Lol very happy I turned this one off after the 1st period.

We've seen this team before. The team that crumbles and breaks down at the first sight of adversity. 2014-2016 Avs under Roy and 16-17 Avs under Bednar. Looks like they're back to that mindset once again.
No team was over coming two goals being taken away for no reason, against the best team in the league.

It seems silly to write off a team that played fine until the injury bug zapped all our reasonable depth players and is fighting against some really bad luck/piss ass poor reffing the past 5 games. We played well enough to win 3 or 4 of our past 5 games, didn't get it done, it happens. Pittsburgh has lost 5 in a row looking like trash. Teams go through ups and downs.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Can't explain it, but I am not mad at all. It seems Avs are running through a patch of games where every single freakin' call is going against them. I didn't really pay attention to the second overturn call, but the first one is offsides no doubt. I am all for keeping offsides rules, but it really needs to be only reviewable plays to see if the puck was out. All of this nonsense where his skate was lifted two millimeters off the ice or five millmeters before the puck really need to stop. Like stop tomorrow if that's the case, even if it happens against us in OT in a game seven. We experimented with it and it just doesn't work, nice try NHL, but time to move on.

I can't recall off the top of my head this Avs team able to win a game after coming off a long break since 2009. These are automatic losses and it makes sense, teams need to get back into the rhythm of playing every other day and players are creatures of habits. When you get like five days off after every couple of games you'll obviously lose your hockey mind and go into normal life mode of getting rusty. I get it that hockey after hockey gets tiresome and burns out the players, but I haven't seen any situation where teams nor players benefit from it even though they probably love it.

Not sure what to say because even though Avs are not a top five team, that wonderful hockey at the start of the year is long gone now. They're looking like a 14th place club in the league and maybe that's what we are, but a significant amount of players games have absolutely dropped off the face of the earth. Johnson, Barrie, Nemeth, and pretty the entire bottom six just cannot generate a scoring chance or even the right play. The worst aspect for this team is the regression of the defenders because even if you have zero secondary scoring, you want the ability to close off games. Avs haven't been able to do that the past three weeks, so we're getting into "trading chances" with other teams leading to absurd high-scoring games and mental breakdowns.

Though I will be watching next game, the Avs are really killing my interest with these blown leads. They had the lead against Minnesota and lost that 3-2, had the lead against Flames and we all know what happened there, and they had leads' against the Canucks just to lose that. I am not saying any team is perfect, Pens blew a game with one minute remaining today for their fifth straight loss, but losing like we had in these past four games is just energy draining as a fan.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow
Team has been playing like hot garbage for a solid 10+ games since the beggining of the year. Varly and the 1st line managed to hide it on the scoresheet but it didn't change that fact. Yeah, we can blame the refs, blame it on injured players that weren't a factor when healthy, blame it on the full moon...but at the end of the day the AVS aren't playing good hockey.

I'd suggest lowering your expectations if you believe this is a top 10 team with JTC and Jost in the lineup else it probably won't be a fun season.
We are in the middle of the pack is what i'm saying. A hot goalie makes the difference almost every single game; a huge injury to a key player can ruin your season in a heartbeat. For me there are 4 "dominant" teams, Win/Nas in the West and Tor/Tamp in the East. Then we have maybe 4-5 bottom feeders - and even they have almost a 500 record. And the other 20-25 teams are fighting for the playoffs because the league is so damn competitive. And yes, the Avs are one of the 20+ teams.

Having a complete roster and an above average goaltending makes us a Top10 team, too many injuries or key players (like Barrie) being cold could cost us the season. Parity rules ... and sucks at he same time.

Last edited:

Avs44

May 16, 2011
The "but injuries" excuse holds zero water to me, sorry. Injuries happen to every team in the league. Andrighetto has had injury problems his entire career - expecting him not to get injured is almost silly. Losing Compher hurts, he was at least producing. Jost is more talented than some of these current plugs but...2 points in 11 games. Zero even strength points. These injuries are to be expected. If they are what's sinking the Avs then this is a terrible hockey club.

I'm not saying, for the record, that this is some sort of terrible hockey club - they are better than they've been showing recently - but injuries have zero business being brought up here as some sort of justification for their performances. The team they faced tonight was missing a vastly more important player in Viktor Arvidsson than anyone missing on the Avs group.

For the people mentioning injuries, the Avs have actually been extremely fortunate with injuries this year so far. No goaltenders injured, and EJ, Barrie, Girard, Cole, Zadorov, Landeskog, Rantanen, and MacKinnon have missed zero games combined. On the injury front, the health news for the starting roster this far has been nothing but fantastic. Health wise, this might end up being the best stretch of the season if we look to past seasons when Varly / EJ / Landeskog almost always miss some time every year.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Its almost as if these guys think making the playoffs once every 5 years or so is good enough. Everytime they make the playoffs the next season they act like they cant hockey. Very disappointed with Rantanen tonight. Just a complete ghost and Landeskog couldnt handle or pass a puck to Mackinnon at all. Also, learn how to drag your alzy ass feet when crossing the line. Thats two guys this season whose cost us goals by not doing that at pivotal times in the game. I know alot of people are bitching about the calls but imo those were correct calls. Kerfoot was offside and the puck did go over the line on Girards play. I thought Barries blueline save was more clearly offside against the Blues than Girards tonight but nonetheless offside.

PAZ

Jul 14, 2011
BC
Can't explain it, but I am not mad at all. It seems Avs are running through a patch of games where every single freakin' call is going against them. I didn't really pay attention to the second overturn call, but the first one is offsides no doubt. I am all for keeping offsides rules, but it really needs to be only reviewable plays to see if the puck was out. All of this nonsense where his skate was lifted two millimeters off the ice or five millmeters before the puck really need to stop. Like stop tomorrow if that's the case, even if it happens against us in OT in a game seven. We experimented with it and it just doesn't work, nice try NHL, but time to move on.

Normally I can't blame games on the refs... but the Avs have been getting the shittiest calls. You know it's bad when for three straight games, momentum swinging calls are being made on the Avs and the other team's fanbase also thinks it's a completely garbage call.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Lol very happy I turned this one off after the 1st period.

We've seen this team before. The team that crumbles and breaks down at the first sight of adversity. 2014-2016 Avs under Roy and 16-17 Avs under Bednar. Looks like they're back to that mindset once again.
Man this. All f***in this. Its so damn annoying. They can never build on a previously good season. Good season followed by 4 bad seasons. High pick. Make playoffs and then miss playoffs next 5 years.

Reactions: dahrougem2

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
The "but injuries" excuse holds zero water to me, sorry. Injuries happen to every team in the league. Andrighetto has had injury problems his entire career - expecting him not to get injured is almost silly. Losing Compher hurts, he was at least producing. Jost is more talented than some of these current plugs but...2 points in 11 games. Zero even strength points. These injuries are to be expected. If they are what's sinking the Avs then this is a terrible hockey club.

I'm not saying, for the record, that this is some sort of terrible hockey club - they are better than they've been showing recently - but injuries have zero business being brought up here as some sort of justification for their performances. The team they faced tonight was missing a vastly more important player in Viktor Arvidsson than anyone missing on the Avs group.

For the people mentioning injuries, the Avs have actually been extremely fortunate with injuries this year so far. No goaltenders injured, and EJ, Barrie, Girard, Cole, Zadorov, Landeskog, Rantanen, and MacKinnon have missed zero games combined. On the injury front, the health news for the starting roster this far has been nothing but fantastic. Health wise, this might end up being the best stretch of the season if we look to past seasons when Varly / EJ / Landeskog almost always miss some time every year.
You're telling me that we are not better off with guys like Ghetto, Jost and JT in the lineup? Especially when you consider that means guys like Dano, Bourque, Kamenev, Dries are pushed out.

Good teams do overcome injuries without a doubt because they have good organizational depth. The Avs are young up and coming team that dont have the depth yet to sustain multiple injuries. We get a few injuries we're screwed and have to plug in guys that shouldn't ever sniff the NHL. A few years from now, I expect it to be a different story.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Well that might be so, but no matter what I take Jost over Dano or Bourque.
I take Jost over most of our line up. He just hasn't found his game this year, and I think he should spend some time in the AHL to figure it out. He's much more promising than a 4th line guy.

He's supposed to be a top 6 player. I hope he figures it out, because Dries and other lower calibre players look much better than him right now.

Reactions: Foppberg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
You're telling me that we are not better off with guys like Ghetto, Jost and JT in the lineup? Especially when you consider that means guys like Dano, Bourque, Kamenev, Dries are pushed out.

Good teams do overcome injuries without a doubt because they have good organizational depth. The Avs are young up and coming team that dont have the depth yet to sustain multiple injuries. We get a few injuries we're screwed and have to plug in guys that shouldn't ever sniff the NHL. A few years from now, I expect it to be a different story.
Correct. Our depth or lack there of is showing with the injuries. To be honest our secondary scoring from our forwards hasnt been the issue of late. Its our overall team defense, defense and goaltending thats hurting us. That Tampa game seem to really do something to these guys because they havent played a good game since that one. Heck, even the game against the Sens was a nail biter at times.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

One of these are not like the others.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Its almost as if these guys think making the playoffs once every 5 years or so is good enough. Everytime they make the playoffs the next season they act like they cant hockey. Very disappointed with Rantanen tonight. Just a complete ghost and Landeskog couldnt handle or pass a puck to Mackinnon at all. Also, learn how to drag your alzy ass feet when crossing the line. Thats two guys this season whose cost us goals by not doing that at pivotal times in the game. I know alot of people are *****ing about the calls but imo those were correct calls. Kerfoot was offside and the puck did go over the line on Girards play. I thought Barries blueline save was more clearly offside against the Blues than Girards tonight but nonetheless offside.
Sorry just wrong on the offside both were close but there was no clear visual evidence that the call on ice was wrong so both should have stood as called. Girard was clearly in, you can see the edge of the puck on the blue, there is no white in between the puck and the line. The second there is no way to tell as the puck is in the air, there is no way they could have clearly seen Kerfoot in the zone before the puck.

Just really bad calls, when you consider both were called good on the ice. No way they had the evidence to overturn either one.

Raucherhusten

Unselfish Gif Lover
Aug 24, 2017
Over the rainbow

This is what some ppl refuse to get. Player we drafted 2-3 years ago should now be ready to come in and help out when injuries hit. But because we were really poor with drafting/developing before Roy quit these guys are simply not there. So we are forced to play guys like Dano/Bourque/Dries/Greer who a not really NHL material. And this is the reason why losing 3!!! middle sixers hurt us a lot more than other teams.

And maybe, just maybe, Sakics approach to let the kids play and NOT bringing in help for our secondary scoring wasn't the smartest idea either.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Sorry just wrong on the offside both were close but there was no clear visual evidence that the call on ice was wrong so both should have stood as called. Girard was clearly in, you can see the edge of the puck on the blue, there is no white in between the puck and the line. The second there is no way to tell as the puck is in the air, there is no way they could have clearly seen Kerfoot in the zone before the puck.

Just really bad calls, when you consider both were called good on the ice. No way they had the evidence to overturn either one.
Were just gonna have to agree to disagree then because I thought both were offside. I thought Barries last year was more offside though if that means anything.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Beside some bad calls, this game showed us why the Preds are contenders and we´re gonna fight for a wild-card (at best). They have depth, we don´t.

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
Hope guys catch a break next game. They could use a call go their way too. Of course you make your own luck but come on.

And yeah, offside challenge need to go or be fixed. I'd put a time that limits when the challenge: if the goal was 10 or 15 or 20 seconds after the possible offside, you cannot challenge it anymore.

Just fix it. Those calls ruined the game. We shouldn't measure millimeters from a situation that happened a minute ago.

Reactions: McMetal

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Still waiting on those clear angles to take away two goals.

Let’s see the still images NHL.

Totally agree. I didn't see a definitive look on either one. That angle is deceiving all the time with the snow on the ice and lack of sharpness on the blueline. I didn't see any white between the puck and the blueline either.

I swear Laviolette gets a shit ton of calls because he screams at the refs every single game over every single play. Both offsides calls would have given the Preds a penalty if the refs upheld the goals. You don't think they knew he was gonna blow a gasket if they called it that way?

On the flip side, they have no problem making calls against Bednar because they know they won't hear a peep about it.

Reactions: chet1926

Colorado Avalanche

No Babe pictures
Sponsor
Apr 24, 2004
Lieto
Cole and Wilson played really well.
Other than that it was good old Avs hockey.
Our own pick might be higher than Ottawa's.

When I compare our rosters, that's unacceptable. Our defense and goaltending should be on way higher standard. The offense is probably even with our super line and the rest crap.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
The Avs are right were they should be, a bubble team. Until management fixes the 2nd line the team is not going to take the next step. Also injuries are not the issue, everyone has them and the Avs do not have any key players injured. If injuries to 3 third line forwards, only one of then was playing well, is going to derail the team then it just shows that the Avs are not as good as some people think they are.

Reactions: Arcade Fire

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad