GDT: Game 15 - Nashville @ Colorado - 8PM 11/7

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
The schedule over the last couple of weeks hasn't done a struggling team any favors. I think we'll see them getting back into their groove now going forward.

Don't think this team will be any better than last season's though. We'll probably have to fight tooth and nail for a wild card spot.
That was always what was going to happen.

Reactions: McMetal

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
They made the playoffs by the slimmest of margins last season, I didn't think that was going to be much different this year, especially considering that none of the other teams in the Central did anything to downsize, rather the opposite.

I get that it's still early but I am really starting to get annoyed at EJ and Barrie. Both of them played like garbage last night, and EJ getting walked like he did was just plain unacceptable. Even in a reduced role and reduced minutes he's playing some worrisome hockey. Barrie just looks lost right now and I've no idea why, it's like his passing has gone from good-but-not-great to Nathan Peterman levels. To his credit, Bednar did everything he could to get him to play through it, but he simply didn't.

This is gonna be a long season if those two guys don't get it together soon.

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Oh and I'll say this...while I still don't love the idea of Calvert on the top PP unit he made me eat my words with his play last night. Scored the team's only goal that wasn't reversed on review and made a fantastic breakaway entry (which unfortunately he couldn't capitalize on, but he still made it in).

For those of you saying the Avs rely too much on the drop pass to MacKinnon for power play zone entries, they were forced to try new things last night. For the most part I liked it, they just got way too fancy passing it around once they made it in and didn't just put it on net. They seriously need to practice how to set up one-timers, don't know why it's such a struggle for them to lead the pass properly.

CharlesPuck

Apr 25, 2017
Denver
Yeah... clearly offside. clearly enough to OVERTURN the call on the ice...

BKcDBSL.png

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
They made the playoffs by the slimmest of margins last season, I didn't think that was going to be much different this year, especially considering that none of the other teams in the Central did anything to downsize, rather the opposite.

I get that it's still early but I am really starting to get annoyed at EJ and Barrie. Both of them played like garbage last night, and EJ getting walked like he did was just plain unacceptable. Even in a reduced role and reduced minutes he's playing some worrisome hockey. Barrie just looks lost right now and I've no idea why, it's like his passing has gone from good-but-not-great to Nathan Peterman levels. To his credit, Bednar did everything he could to get him to play through it, but he simply didn't.

This is gonna be a long season if those two guys don't get it together soon.

Those two are the biggest issues for me because I didn't expect a ton from the second line to begin with. I did think Jost was going to take a step but that obviously hasn't happened either.

I'm more concerned about EJ right now because we know at some point here his play is just going to fall off a cliff. I don't believe that's what's happening and it might just be a poor start but the age and injuries are always in the back of my mind when he goes through an extended period of poor play.

Like you said with Barrie, they've tried everything to try and get him going. He has had some flashes here and there where he looked like himself but then he goes back to playing like crap. The decision making, passing, defending, etc, it's all mostly bad right now. Whether fair or not, they probably thought a lot of that secondary scoring this team lacks was going to be driven by Barrie from the back end and so far it's not happening.

Reactions: shadow1

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Those two are the biggest issues for me because I didn't expect a ton from the second line to begin with. I did think Jost was going to take a step but that obviously hasn't happened either.

I'm more concerned about EJ right now because we know at some point here his play is just going to fall off a cliff. I don't believe that's what's happening and it might just be a poor start but the age and injuries are always in the back of my mind when he goes through an extended period of poor play.

Like you said with Barrie, they've tried everything to try and get him going. He has had some flashes here and there where he looked like himself but then he goes back to playing like crap. The decision making, passing, defending, etc, it's all mostly bad right now. Whether fair or not, they probably thought a lot of that secondary scoring this team lacks was going to be driven by Barrie from the back end and so far it's not happening.

I think that is whats happening right now. He just doesn't look right to me. No jump in his game, poor decisions with the puck, terrible decisions all around (second goal last night although that's more on varly) I think we are seeing the regression. I'm worried about what he looks like next season. Could be ugly. Still a good dman just no longer a number 1.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
The worst part about that Girard offsides was that they looked at it for literally less than a minute. Such a close play that's not definitive at all to many people a day later, but apparently they figured it out quicker than most offsides replays. :shakehead

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
PK "shredded" him by calling him a terrible hockey player? You kidding me? That's a five year olds chirp.

He shredded himself more by the part they conveniently cut out, when he called himself a p****. He said, "I may be a p****, but you're a terrible hockey player." Who's getting the worse end of that?
Avs fans who want to see their team win games.

drhiii

Beat Navy.
Apr 25, 2014
Was at the game. My missus who has seen a couple of hockey games before immediately noted that the Avs were 'slower' than the Preds. Um, yup. For starters. Everyone has offered analysis up the yin-yang. Another $0.02. Avs predictable in their line play. I mean stunningly predictable. They have so much difficulty clearing the defensive zone, ridiculously predictable center ice transitions and am hard pressed to use the word transition because it was easily stymied by the Preds... and then the same same same offensive zone entry. Purposely did not use plural.

The only real energy came from the 4th line.

The Avs have some real problems. Did I mention predictability? The Preds were ahead of the Avs at almost every offensive and defensive zone play because a review the Avs would have made a plan like super easy.

So unfortunately, I did not see much good news. The first line is not performing very well and I do feel in large part because of this lack of team creativity, lack of imagination, and dare I say... goes to coaching. The good news is it is hard to be disappointed when one has diminished expectations. That's where I am. Too bad. Some world class skaters, world class Varley... and they lack team imagination.

Did I mentioned predictable? Fer sure, flames on. I deserve it. But so do the Avs.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
S'all good, I don't mind the chirping and cockiness, only one way to shut that down, and that's win the goddamn hockey game.
As far as I'm concerned they have every right to be cocky against the Avs. Numbers don't lie. We take it from the preds no Vaseline everytime we play them. Scissons comes in with that 12 incher every time. If it weren't for the Avs Colton wouldn't have a job in the NHL.

Reactions: Pokecheque

Pokecheque

Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Was at the game. My missus who has seen a couple of hockey games before immediately noted that the Avs were 'slower' than the Preds. Um, yup. For starters. Everyone has offered analysis up the yin-yang. Another $0.02. Avs predictable in their line play. I mean stunningly predictable. They have so much difficulty clearing the defensive zone, ridiculously predictable center ice transitions and am hard pressed to use the word transition because it was easily stymied by the Preds... and then the same same same offensive zone entry. Purposely did not use plural.

The only real energy came from the 4th line.

The Avs have some real problems. Did I mention predictability? The Preds were ahead of the Avs at almost every offensive and defensive zone play because a review the Avs would have made a plan like super easy.

So unfortunately, I did not see much good news. The first line is not performing very well and I do feel in large part because of this lack of team creativity, lack of imagination, and dare I say... goes to coaching. The good news is it is hard to be disappointed when one has diminished expectations. That's where I am. Too bad. Some world class skaters, world class Varley... and they lack team imagination.

Did I mentioned predictable? Fer sure, flames on. I deserve it. But so do the Avs.

I've been :deadhorse about the breakout scheme for a while. I'm tellin' ya, other teams looked at the video from the Flames game and do everything they can to stand up the Avs at their own blue line, and it usually results in a bad pass or turnover. They have to mix it up and chip it behind the opposition's defense and go HARD to either break past them or force some turnovers on that side. At least then they might think twice and back off a little, THEN you can go back to the quick passes out. While he's been absolute garbage to start the year, maybe try Barberio and keep him in there in hopes he finally gets it going...he's the best guy on the roster when it comes to chipping it out.

This part's not on Bednar either, but the struggles of both EJ and Barrie are taking a severe toll on the overall breakout scheme as well. Both of those guys are usually able to skate it out no problem, but to start this season they've been so utterly bad it's not only stymied the overall breakout scheme, but now they're zeroing in on the one guy who CAN break it out, and that's Sammy. Not sure how you fix that but something's gotta be done.

Also, to be fair to Bednar and the Avs, they finally did make some adjustments in the 2nd and 3rd periods and pretty much abandoned the usual scheme in favor of more dumps and stretch passes, they also had other guys carry the puck like Cole and Nemeth...which unfortunately is kinda what the Preds wanted. I noted they didn't put any pressure on Nemeth as he carried the puck up-ice because they knew he couldn't do anything with it. And he really didn't other than dumping it in. But NOT in Bednar's defense--that all should have happened a lot sooner.

And that's the other issue that has me a little concerned...these guys just look so utterly uninspired for long stretches. The idiotic scheduling played a part but I'm waiting for a little more overall energy from this team and they've just been so very....blah to start, apart from the full on ass-whipping they laid on the Wylde to start the year. Not sure how the coaches can jumpstart the team but they gotta start benching guys if this continues.
:doh:

Anyway, tl;dr -- The opposition knows how to thwart the breakout scheme, so the coaches need to figure out how to mix it up sooner. EJ and Barrie's general suckage has contributed to the problem, and overall the team just lacks energy, which makes me think they need to start putting guys in the press box or at the very least severely reduce their roles.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
One more thing and it pains me to say this some but they need to put Barrie back on the top PP unit and put Girard on the second.

They need to dial back Girard's role a bit overall, and I think they realize that. He's not quite ready yet. He's having some sophomore struggles. He hasn't shown the PP level Barrie has when he's on his game yet either, and their inability to click on some of these big PP's lately has hurt them.

Reactions: The Kingslayer

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
They need to dial back Girard's role a bit overall, and I think they realize that. He's not quite ready yet. He's having some sophomore struggles. He hasn't shown the PP level Barrie has when he's on his game yet either, and their inability to click on some of these big PP's lately has hurt them.

He looks way more comfortable on that second unit. He looks very unsure of himself on that top unit.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan
He looks way more comfortable on that second unit. He looks very unsure of himself on that top unit.

All this because he had a call go against him on a spin?

:sarcasm:

I think hes made quicker passes than Barrie, and isn't bobbling the puck as much. His nerves are having an effect on his shot getting through but it's not any better or worse than Barrie. You are right though that he looked more confident on the second unit.

I'm not sure what the right answer is really, but Barrie is making a lot of mistakes as well even at 5v5. Not sure he deserves it or would actually be better there. They finally f***ing put Calvart to use too. We got a couple goals from Landy and Jost tipping pucks before as well. My biggest problem with it had been MacK, Barrie, and Mikko all holding the puck to long. As well as Barrie just putting passes in peoples feet. Girard at least fixed that IMO.

It's probably time to change it up though. Which there shouldn't be anything wrong with because soon enough Girard, Makar, and Barrie will all be PP QB options. Nothing wrong with some kind of rotation through the year based on who deserves it, and things just being stale. Especially since two of them will likely be on the 2nd unit and one on the first.

CobraAcesS

De Opresso Liber
Sponsor
Jul 20, 2011
Michigan

How do we dial it back when Barrie and EJ are both playing like crap? The kid is doing an admirable job all things considered IMO. Bednar had 4 days to try and reset the vets, and put everyone back in roles based on talent. He didn't feel the need to do that apparently.

Piestany88

Sep 29, 2017
All this because he had a call go against him on a spin?

:sarcasm:

I think hes made quicker passes than Barrie, and isn't bobbling the puck as much. His nerves are having an effect on his shot getting through but it's not any better or worse than Barrie. You are right though that he looked more confident on the second unit.

I'm not sure what the right answer is really, but Barrie is making a lot of mistakes as well even at 5v5. Not sure he deserves it or would actually be better there. They finally ****ing put Calvart to use too. We got a couple goals from Landy and Jost tipping pucks before as well. My biggest problem with it had been MacK, Barrie, and Mikko all holding the puck to long. As well as Barrie just putting passes in peoples feet. Girard at least fixed that IMO.

It's probably time to change it up though. Which there shouldn't be anything wrong with because soon enough Girard, Makar, and Barrie will all be PP QB options. Nothing wrong with some kind of rotation through the year based on who deserves it, and things just being stale. Especially since two of them will likely be on the 2nd unit and one on the first.
Yeah and the pp is scoring every game with Girard on the 1st pp.

Reactions: CobraAcesS

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad