GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Kings/ 10 Nov 2015 / 8:30 PM MST/ TV: FSAZ/ Radio 98.7 FM

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Yeah, makes me wonder if we are just trying to grip the sticks too tight at home - almost certain that it is the elephant in the room that we play loose on the road, but that we are struggling at home so far.

One of those reasons that I was very bullish on this team at the start of the year. No way that we would achieve perfection every single game, but when playing consistently right, this team fights back into certain games, and has that feel of being opportunistic enough with the chances that we still are able to keep ourselves afloat. Eventually, the rookies may cool off some, but that is when we need the veterans to help out. That will mean the difference between being in the bottom 6 of the standings, the #10-14 pick range, or squeaking into one of the last seeds.

Remember, we only have to be the 3rd best team in the division, and we hold a playoff spot. Technically, if the season ended today in the old format, we would be the 9th seed and out.

You were more bullish on the Coyotes at the start of this year then the rest of the doom and gloom fan base. It is still early, but the division looks pretty weak so far, and as a team, we look better then expected.
At the beginning of the year, I predicted that we wouldn't be last in the west, but would miss the playoffs. Too early to tell, but maybe we have a shot at the playoffs. I don't think Tip is doing it with mirrors this year to come up with wins and I think our Pizza goalie has let us down in a few games. PP is looking better too. I think we have a better chance of it all coming together (making playoffs) now versus it all falling apart (last place in west). The wild card to me is Smith, we never know what we are going to get, everything else Tip can figure out so we have a chance for points.

We are playing better than expected, but I expect a bump in the road. This is going to be a wild ride this year and I can hear it already when we hit a losing streak most are going to say ''fire everyone''. I don't expect us to make the playoffs, but as long as the young ones progress I will be happy. Next year these young ones will have more responsibility with more young ones making the team. So far this has been a fun team to watch.

Shepard

Apr 13, 2012
You don't like our red jerseys?

I don't dislike them, but the home jerseys haven't grown on me much either. I can't help but feel like the only major change they made is throwing black on the sleeves. I know they made other changes, and I know what they are, but I think having the sleeves on the home and road be the same is what gives me that impression, especially with the red on the sleeves being so prevalent. I may feel differently if they did something like switch the white and red on the home sleeves, though maybe that would look even worse.

Though the roads also feel more different because they dropped the red shoulders, so it doesn't feel like they just added black on the sleeves and called it a day.

Though as great as our new roads are, the Kachina uniforms are still the GOAT.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
What a Godsend that would be - drop those ugly azz Canadian copy cat red things and put on one of the all time greats!

Amen! I'm tired of all the Canadian crap and the red jerseys blow. I'm glad the game I went to had the whites. I've gotten used to them at least even if I'll never buy one.

kihekah19*

Oct 25, 2010
Phoenix, Arizona
We are playing better than expected, but I expect a bump in the road. This is going to be a wild ride this year and I can hear it already when we hit a losing streak most are going to say ''fire everyone''. I don't expect us to make the playoffs, but as long as the young ones progress I will be happy. Next year these young ones will have more responsibility with more young ones making the team. So far this has been a fun team to watch.

I think the troubles will start after the break, but hope (after all, I'm a fan) that somehow the boys can find a way to get to the playoffs, so they can get that experience. Certainly not going to hold my breath though.

Coyotes2000

Jun 25, 2007
AZ
Amen! I'm tired of all the Canadian crap and the red jerseys blow. I'm glad the game I went to had the whites. I've gotten used to them at least even if I'll never buy one.

We heard you the first 100 times you've said that

cobra427

May 6, 2012

I expect more then a few bumps in the road. Our scoring is actually fine right now at 7th in the west. Our GAA needs work, we are currently 12th, mostly a Mike Smith problem. Our PK is 6th, so pretty good but our PP is 13th, not counting the shorties.

Bottom line is that we need Smith to be better. Our PP was looking better against L.A. even though we didn't score, but it needs to be better. Watching has been pretty fun so far this year as we have a chance in all but a few games.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

What do you mean ''all the Canadian crap"?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think the troubles will start after the break, but hope (after all, I'm a fan) that somehow the boys can find a way to get to the playoffs, so they can get that experience. Certainly not going to hold my breath though.

I don't think we get a sniff of the playoffs. Next year we might get a sniff. Look at teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary with their young talent having roller coaster years. Mind you we have much better coaching than all three of those teams.:)

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I expect more then a few bumps in the road. Our scoring is actually fine right now at 7th in the west. Our GAA needs work, we are currently 12th, mostly a Mike Smith problem. Our PK is 6th, so pretty good but our PP is 13th, not counting the shorties.

Bottom line is that we need Smith to be better. Our PP was looking better against L.A. even though we didn't score, but it needs to be better. Watching has been pretty fun so far this year as we have a chance in all but a few games.

The stats you just stated have us in the top half of the league, some near the top. That is pretty good, amazing really. I don't see that trend continuing, we don't have the talent yet. Your right, the team has been fun to watch.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
You don't like our red jerseys?

Pure Gretzky. He hated the "ethnic" Coyote jerseys and insisted on "proper hockey uniforms." We had a little discussion about that. I remember Gretzky to be a very nice guy and that he was adamant about the team having a Jersey which would appeal to hockey fans across North America.

As an aside, what is it about the NHL network constantly using the term "North America" to mean the US and Canada and exclude Mexico? Is that a Canadian thing in general or just the talking heads on the NHL network out of Toronto?

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Pure Gretzky. He hated the "ethnic" Coyote jerseys and insisted on "proper hockey uniforms." We had a little discussion about that. I remember Gretzky to be a very nice guy and that he was adamant about the team having a Jersey which would appeal to hockey fans across North America.

As an aside, what is it about the NHL network constantly using the term "North America" to mean the US and Canada and exclude Mexico? Is that a Canadian thing in general or just the talking heads on the NHL network out of Toronto?

I thought they meant the new red jersey. :dunno:

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
The coyotes have had more entertaining games this season than the previous two seasons behind. I don't care a whole lot about wins and losses right now, but this is a MUCH easier team to be a fan of.

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The coyotes have had more entertaining games this season than the previous two seasons behind. I don't care a whole lot about wins and losses right now, but this is a MUCH easier team to be a fan of.

Exactly. They can lose every game from here on out. If they play with this intensity and hustle every night, I'm totally fine.

The wins are nice though. haha

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I don't think we get a sniff of the playoffs. Next year we might get a sniff. Look at teams like Colorado, Edmonton, Calgary with their young talent having roller coaster years. Mind you we have much better coaching than all three of those teams.:)

I think we might have a chance, actually a decent chance at the playoffs. We only need to be top 3 in the Pacific. L.A. looks like they will be in for sure. Outside of that, I am not so sure. You would think the Ducks would get hot, but they just lost to us and the Oilers at home. I think they might have some real problems on that team, not just a cold start. The Oilers don't have a top pairing D and Cam Talbot is not a proven starter, I don't see how they over come that to make a run, even when McJesus returns.

Calgary might have some serious problems and they had everything go right last year to make it. The sharks are an old team now, not impressive and I could see them fading. The Canucks have had a hot start but I am not sure they can sustain it, plenty of OT points so far.

Outside of L.A., their start, talent level and low GAA, the Pacific is up for grabs. Because of our start, weakness in the Pacific and the play of our young guys, I think we have a better shot then after our world beating preseason. Tip is an excellent coach, and seems to be able to do more with less, so we have that in our favor. The wildcard is Smitty. We just don't know what we are getting. I have more faith in the young guys consistent play and improvement then I do in Smith's goal tending.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
Exactly. They can lose every game from here on out. If they play with this intensity and hustle every night, I'm totally fine.

What I like: we seem to have remembered how to come back from a deficit. The past two seasons, if we got behind we stayed there.

What I don't like: we still go for long, long stretches without a shot. We still dump-and-chase as our default move even with Domi and Duclair bringing speed and stickhandling skill to the game. And we continue to be extremely shaky in our own end.

I see greater intensity and hustle from Domi, Duclair, and Martinook. I love that. But Doan and Vermette are ruining the curve by being significantly worse than previous seasons.

I guess I'm saying that things are improving, but no matter how Tip and co. want us to forget the past, too much of it still lingers on this team.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
I actually believe it would be better if we didn't sniff the playoffs. This way Maloney would make moves that would benefit the team in multiple way. We'd get a better shot in the lottery, more assets for the future and open up a couple more spots for the incoming talent that should easily make the club next year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad