GDT: Game 15: Coyotes @ Kings/ 10 Nov 2015 / 8:30 PM MST/ TV: FSAZ/ Radio 98.7 FM

GiveAFlyingPuck

Boring hockey aficionado
Sponsor
Jun 19, 2011
NW Valley of the Sun
I think we might have a chance, actually a decent chance at the playoffs. We only need to be top 3 in the Pacific. L.A. looks like they will be in for sure. Outside of that, I am not so sure. You would think the Ducks would get hot, but they just lost to us and the Oilers at home. I think they might have some real problems on that team, not just a cold start. The Oilers don't have a top pairing D and Cam Talbot is not a proven starter, I don't see how they over come that to make a run, even when McJesus returns.

Calgary might have some serious problems and they had everything go right last year to make it. The sharks are an old team now, not impressive and I could see them fading. The Canucks have had a hot start but I am not sure they can sustain it, plenty of OT points so far.

Outside of L.A., their start, talent level and low GAA, the Pacific is up for grabs. Because of our start, weakness in the Pacific and the play of our young guys, I think we have a better shot then after our world beating preseason. Tip is an excellent coach, and seems to be able to do more with less, so we have that in our favor. The wildcard is Smitty. We just don't know what we are getting. I have more faith in the young guys consistent play and improvement then I do in Smith's goal tending.

Would be cool if the 2012 Pacific Division banner had some company in the arena rafters.

BUX7PHX

Jul 7, 2011
I expect more then a few bumps in the road. Our scoring is actually fine right now at 7th in the west. Our GAA needs work, we are currently 12th, mostly a Mike Smith problem. Our PK is 6th, so pretty good but our PP is 13th, not counting the shorties.

Bottom line is that we need Smith to be better. Our PP was looking better against L.A. even though we didn't score, but it needs to be better. Watching has been pretty fun so far this year as we have a chance in all but a few games.

I think you highlighted a lot of reasons why we have a good chance of being very competitive throughout games.

One other item that I think may come later on in the year is that for the past 3-4 years, we have always said that our goalie has to be the best player on the team (I suppose it is true for every team). I got the feeling that starting in 12-13 season, there was this feeling in the locker room that Smith could save our skins when needed, and it started to really blow up, especially b/c I think Smith also put a lot of pressure on himself to be the reason behind our winning ways. Goalies tend to be their own worst critics.

The last two games were excellent examples of where we could be trending. We need our goalies to be good, but they shouldn't have to have the weight of the team on their shoulders. I think you will start to see a gradual shift where we have a lot of these 3-2, 4-3, or OTL type of games where we win close or pick up points, but we slowly start to realize that Smith/Lindback don't need to be at their best to win these type of games b/c we have some offense to work back into the fold. The goalies will be more comfortable, and you may start to see them outright stealing games for us around 40-50 games in. If that continues for the back half of the season, we have a potential playoff contender here...

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I actually believe it would be better if we didn't sniff the playoffs. This way Maloney would make moves that would benefit the team in multiple way. We'd get a better shot in the lottery, more assets for the future and open up a couple more spots for the incoming talent that should easily make the club next year.

I disagree. In order for us to sniff or make the playoffs, the young guys will need to keep playing well, so their game will have to be a future bright spot. Winning is partly culture and not a switch you can turn on when you want to, so the culture changes when you win. When you lose, the acceptance of a losing culture is hard to change and this is what they are trying to over come in Edmonton.

cobra427

May 6, 2012
I think you highlighted a lot of reasons why we have a good chance of being very competitive throughout games.

One other item that I think may come later on in the year is that for the past 3-4 years, we have always said that our goalie has to be the best player on the team (I suppose it is true for every team). I got the feeling that starting in 12-13 season, there was this feeling in the locker room that Smith could save our skins when needed, and it started to really blow up, especially b/c I think Smith also put a lot of pressure on himself to be the reason behind our winning ways. Goalies tend to be their own worst critics.

The last two games were excellent examples of where we could be trending. We need our goalies to be good, but they shouldn't have to have the weight of the team on their shoulders. I think you will start to see a gradual shift where we have a lot of these 3-2, 4-3, or OTL type of games where we win close or pick up points, but we slowly start to realize that Smith/Lindback don't need to be at their best to win these type of games b/c we have some offense to work back into the fold. The goalies will be more comfortable, and you may start to see them outright stealing games for us around 40-50 games in. If that continues for the back half of the season, we have a potential playoff contender here...

I totally agree. The come from behind victories inspire confidence. I also think we might be seeing the tip of the ice burg with the jump on offense from Bods/Hanzal/Domi/Duclair/Reider. They can certainly take the pressure off of Smith and win games as you have said when he is not our best player. I see us evolving as a team in that direction.

_Del_

Jul 4, 2003
Exactly. They can lose every game from here on out. If they play with this intensity and hustle every night, I'm totally fine.

Indeed. Especially when I figured we'd be firmly entrenched at the bottom of the standings by December. They're definitely exceeding expectations. The fact the youth have provided a spark and that I actually think we could score 2 goals in the third if we have to, is huge for the entertainment factor.
So congrats to them so far

0point1

Sep 14, 2011
Arizona
I think we might have a chance, actually a decent chance at the playoffs. We only need to be top 3 in the Pacific. L.A. looks like they will be in for sure. Outside of that, I am not so sure. You would think the Ducks would get hot, but they just lost to us and the Oilers at home. I think they might have some real problems on that team, not just a cold start. The Oilers don't have a top pairing D and Cam Talbot is not a proven starter, I don't see how they over come that to make a run, even when McJesus returns.

Calgary might have some serious problems and they had everything go right last year to make it. The sharks are an old team now, not impressive and I could see them fading. The Canucks have had a hot start but I am not sure they can sustain it, plenty of OT points so far.

Outside of L.A., their start, talent level and low GAA, the Pacific is up for grabs. Because of our start, weakness in the Pacific and the play of our young guys, I think we have a better shot then after our world beating preseason. Tip is an excellent coach, and seems to be able to do more with less, so we have that in our favor. The wildcard is Smitty. We just don't know what we are getting. I have more faith in the young guys consistent play and improvement then I do in Smith's goal tending.

Great analysis. Kings are a pretty close to a lock but the other two spots anything can happen.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad