Post-Game Talk: GAME 14 - Poutineville 3 BRUINS 2 F/OT

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Never thought I’d see the day where the Bruins get out worked, and bullied by Montreal.

You look at the makeup of this team without Lucic and it leaves a lot to be desired from a toughness stand point.

It’s crazy to me that some people didn’t even want him back and we’re completely ok with a roster this soft.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Never thought I’d see the day where the Bruins get out worked, and bullied by Montreal.

You look at the makeup of this team without Lucic and it leaves a lot to be desired from a toughness stand point.

It’s crazy to me that some people didn’t even want him back and we’re completely ok with a roster this soft.
I think MOST wanted Looch back.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX

Some of the problems they had with the Habs were not a lack of physicality, but stupid turnovers (which is an ongoing issue so far this year) that are putting them in bad positions against a forechecking team. Hard to stand up and look good when you are chasing after errant clears and bad passes.

That said, I was bummed out by the Bruins lack of puck hounding- getting outworked, pushed off or away from loose pucks. It was ugly. Looch back will help, but it was also an off night for most of the team. I feel like if they clean up their puck management and show up to play, they are not getting outphysical'ed by any team in the league, much less the Habs.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Some of the problems they had with the Habs were not a lack of physicality, but stupid turnovers (which is an ongoing issue so far this year) that are putting them in bad positions against a forechecking team. Hard to stand up and look good when you are chasing after errant clears and bad passes.

That said, I was bummed out by the Bruins lack of puck hounding- getting outworked, pushed off or away from loose pucks. It was ugly. Looch back will help, but it was also an off night for most of the team. I feel like if they clean up their puck management and show up to play, they are not getting outphysical'ed by any team in the league, much less the Habs.
I would agree, but you need the soldiers too. Frederic as supposed to be that guy, but you’ll only see it like 1/12 games. I have no real issue with his play other than he can still be much more.

You need to have size and physicality sprinkled throughout your line up or else it’s an early exit again this year.

Concessionaire

That could have gone better.
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2003
New Orleans

I kinda think this was one of the games where we missed Gryz. His speed and breakout passes would've helped defuse Montreal's forecheck, IMO.

Dr Hook

It’s Called Ruins
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2005
Tyler, TX
I kinda think this was one of the games where we missed Gryz. His speed and breakout passes would've helped defuse Montreal's forecheck, IMO.
Yep, and that gets missed by some of his detractors around here. It takes a lot of the pressure off. Replacing him with a guy that has the breakout skills of Forbort compunds the issue.

I would agree, but you need the soldiers too. Frederic as supposed to be that guy, but you’ll only see it like 1/12 games. I have no real issue with his play other than he can still be much more.

You need to have size and physicality sprinkled throughout your line up or else it’s an early exit again this year.

TF has been physically MIA a lot this season. I want more from him in that regard, but I think @PlayMakers is right that he sees himself more like Charlie Coyle than anything.

Reactions: Concessionaire

JOKER 192

Blow it up
Sponsor
Jun 14, 2010
Montreal,Canada
It would be shocking if we happened to see the one time he displayed Phaneuf IQ.

Toughness and size certainly, but he is a bottom pair defenseman. Is it worth the risk when the team already relies on the goalies so often?
Let's put it this way. Would you be looking forward to playing against him if he was traded to the Phanters or the Leafs. I know I wouldn't.

Reactions: Gordoff

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut

Seems like they haven't been too hurt by Lucic's absence.

He actually played much better than I expected in his brief time on ice this season.

Dennis Bonvie

Dec 29, 2007
Connecticut
Let's put it this way. Would you be looking forward to playing against him if he was traded to the Phanters or the Leafs. I know I wouldn't.

Well, you and I are not NHL forwards so that's pretty irrelevant.

Actual NHL forwards probably don't see it that way. More likely thinking it's a great chance to score.

If that’s your mentality, I don’t know what to tell you. Maybe we should keep Lucic off the ice, then.

So I say Lucic looked better than I expected and your conclusion is that I want him kept off the ice?

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
Well, you and I are not NHL forwards so that's pretty irrelevant.

Actual NHL forwards probably don't see it that way. More likely thinking it's a great chance to score.

So I say Lucic looked better than I expected and your conclusion is that I want him kept off the ice?
Nah, it was the first part. Don’t need him if the team is playing decently.

Reactions: Dennis Bonvie

Sigh

At half mast
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2007
www.galenwestonjr.ca

Even with him back, there’s a lot to be desired. Which sucks because it feels like we have the horses for at least a little push back, especially against a team like Montreal.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home

Brendan Gallagher, the Canadiens’ tiny terror, was up to his aggravating ways Saturday night, helping his Habs beat the Bruins, 3-2, in overtime.
The 5-foot-9-inch, 183-pound Gallagher specializes in getting to the dirty areas and getting under people’s skin. Missions accomplished against the Bruins, much to the delight of Bell Centre denizens.

The right wing is the type of player revered by his teammates and their faithful and reviled by opponents and their loyalists. Think Danny Ainge. Or perhaps more appropriately, Brad Marchand.

If the 12-year veteran wore black and gold instead of bleu, blanc, et rouge, Bruins fans would don his sweater in droves.

For his first act, Gallagher gave the Canadiens their first lead, capping a wild first minute of the third period in which the hosts erased a 1-0 lead.

For his encore, Gallagher crashed Swayman’s net yet again, this time after Marchand’s equalizer with 7:02 left. It was a two-fold mission: try to curb Boston’s momentum and regain the lead.

Gallagher got the Bruins’ blood boiling with his tussle with Swayman, even ripping the goalie’s mask off during an exchange of unpleasantries. It also got his teammates’ ire up and they went on to secure the win on Guhle’s strike.

“He’s a player that, I think, is a valuable player, and anybody that is at the top of the blue paint all the time finds ways to score goals,” said Boston boss Jim Montgomery. “He’s got a lot of goals in this league, and he scores them the same way.”

Marchand, who was booed every time he touched the puck Saturday night (Canadiens fans’ acknowledgment that they both loathe and fear the Boston captain), had high praise for Gallagher’s game.

“I respect every guy that competes hard and he’s the type of guy that you win with and he’s the kind of guy that you want on your team when you’re in the playoffs and is willing to give it all on the ice,” said Marchand, who’s listed at the same height and 7 pounds lighter. “So, I do really respect those guys a lot because those are the guys that you want for your team when you’re fighting for a Cup. He’s made a great career for himself in front of the net, and the way that he battles and competes out there, he’s going to bring it every night and kind of leads the way for their team in that department. So, I do respect him, the way he plays and guys play like that.”

Gallagher, who is perfectly fine with playing the role of the villain, is an alternate captain and guiding force for the young Canadiens.

He’d also be a perfect fit for a club looking for some veteran sandpaper and scoring punch at or around the trade deadline.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad