Post-Game Talk: Game 14: Penalty Kill'em With Kindness | Blackhawks vs. Blues | 11/9/16 7 p.m. (CSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Eh, there are certain situations, plays, events within a game where having played it at a higher level can help understand things a little bit better perhaps, but I don't think it's a prerequisite to having a complete, blanket-statement better understanding of the game as a whole. I don't think it's that black and white. Look no further than the Blackhawks GM. Different sport (as mentioned) but look across town at the Cubs President of Baseball Operations. There are a lot of people in high positions doing a really good job that did not play a necessarily high level in their respective sports. You have to be really smart, and be around the game for a really long time and constantly learning, but there's enough examples out there of it.

And this is from someone who's played hockey at a high level and works in the game today. No one cares, nor should they, that's not my point, but just sparing the "well you probably didn't either so of course you feel that way" reply is all.

As for Panarin scrapping, love to see the willingness and how well he handled himself, but I'd hate to see him bust his hand or wrist and be out a while. Fine line walked there. He did a hell of a job, though.

Last edited:

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
There's nothing wrong with Panarin picking his spot there and fighting. It's game 14...and he didn't cost them the 2 points. I guarantee none of his teammates care.

STC

Oct 29, 2012
There's nothing wrong with Panarin picking his spot there and fighting. It's game 14...and he didn't cost them the 2 points. I guarantee none of his teammates care.

Exactly Pez. Guy just got cross checked twice to the head by some 4th line plug vs their biggest rival early in the season. Panarin needed to step up there and show St. Louis that he is not one to be messed with. I expect people to think twice before cross checking him like that again.

That fight was just as much about future games as it was about last night's game.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
As for Panarin scrapping, love to see the willingness and how well he handled himself, but I'd hate to see him bust his hand or wrist and be out a while. Fine line walked there. He did a hell of a job, though.

That was the only thing I was concerned about. Panarin needs to understand ... pounding Upshall on the side of his head could break his hand. He needs to hit his face. BTW, did anyone else think Upshall was somewhat dazed and confused in the box? At the very least, he looked like a surprised and embarrassed bully. No one applauded Upshall for getting himself beat up and taking Panarin out of the game for 5 minutes ... not even his teammates. That should tell you something.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Eh, there are certain situations, plays, events within a game where having played it at a higher level can help understand things a little bit better perhaps, but I don't think it's a prerequisite to having a complete, blanket-statement better understanding of the game as a whole. I don't think it's that black and white. Look no further than the Blackhawks GM. Different sport (as mentioned) but look across town at the Cubs President of Baseball Operations. There are a lot of people in high positions doing a really good job that did not play a necessarily high level in their respective sports. You have to be really smart, and be around the game for a really long time and constantly learning, but there's enough examples out there of it.

And this is from someone who's played hockey at a high level and works in the game today. No one cares, nor should they, that's not my point, but just sparing the "well you probably didn't either so of course you feel that way" reply is all.

I agree with you, and I never did say "you never played so you wouldn't understand". I simply said he "probably has never been in that position in a hockey game." I played hockey my whole life, and only got into 1 fight. I didn't fight because I wanted to, it was because the other guy dropped his gloves and ripped off my helmet. I was basically forced to defend myself.

From what I saw last night, Panarin didn't have much of a choice to fight, which is why I said what I said. He gets much more respect from his peers if he drops his gloves and goes than he does if he turtles to the ground.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I agree with you, and I never did say "you never played so you wouldn't understand". I simply said he "probably has never been in that position in a hockey game." I played hockey my whole life, and only got into 1 fight. I didn't fight because I wanted to, it was because the other guy dropped his gloves and ripped off my helmet. I was basically forced to defend myself.

From what I saw last night, Panarin didn't have much of a choice to fight, which is why I said what I said. He gets much more respect from his peers if he drops his gloves and goes than he does if he turtles to the ground.

And Upshall was one of the biggest laugh stocks to his peers last night. I guarantee Upshall will try to get even and bait Panarin the next time the Hawks meet. That's when Panarin turns his back and draws a couple of penalties with the officials watching. That's how you play smart.

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
I was entertained by the fight. Especially because Breadman took him to town. Its always funny seeing the "tough" guys think they can pick on a skilled guy and get embarrassed.

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Wasn't directed at you if you took it that way. Just in general.

Anyone know if he fought at all in the KHL? That definitely didn't look like it was his first rodeo. If it was, that's damn impressive.

Last edited:

JustABlackhawksFan

Jun 2, 2015
Wasn't directed at you if you took it that way. Just in general.

Anyone know if he fought at all in the KHL? That definitely didn't look like it was his first rodeo. If it was, that's damn impressive.

I think he fought at least a couple of times in the KHL.

And yes, he played for the KHL goon squad Vityaz for awhile.

I posted this video on the mb thread ... it's from the MHL, though, I think.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can

Panarin had the choice to turtle but obviously didn't even consider it. There are players in this league that would do exactly that and everyone knows who they are. AP made it very apparent that he isn't one of them, and TBH, I doubt he has another fight anytime soon, if ever. Some here will never understand what I just wrote.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
And Upshall was one of the biggest laugh stocks to his peers last night. I guarantee Upshall will try to get even and bait Panarin the next time the Hawks meet. That's when Panarin turns his back and draws a couple of penalties with the officials watching. That's how you play smart.

If I was upshall, I sure as hell wouldn't be asking Panarin to dance again.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Panik has reverted to his norm

2 assists and a -2 in his last 8 games

Has looked terrible out there most nights ,, If we had another option not named Hinostroza I would say Q needs to sit him a game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad