Post-Game Talk: Game 14: Penalty Kill'em With Kindness | Blackhawks vs. Blues | 11/9/16 7 p.m. (CSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I'm actually going to agree with JD to an extent here. It was a rather poor time for Panarin to fight a bottom 6 player. He redeemed himself by scoring that OT goal though. Don't get me wrong I love that Panarin is willing to stand up for himself, looked good in the fight, and ended with a Gordie Howe hatrick but that still doesn't change the fact that it was wrong time to accept that fight.

i missed the whole game, but in the highlights, i saw the fight.

i respect those who are for and against the fight and the reasoning. but, for me, i am glad he did it and the way he did it. respect may come from it.

i kinda of see this as a toews fight, it needed to get it done.

Venthon

Nov 11, 2014
I understand why Upshall was mad, he was hit from behind and didnt get a call. But the Blackhawks could have taken advantage of their fortune, rather than losing the player swap.

The idea that his response merited a fight from Panarin is nonsense. It was ego. If anything, Upshall came out the winner of that exchange as far as impact on the game.

Ultimately, when both returned, Panarin made the difference, but he should get a thank you card from the Blues for the extra point they got in the standings.

Being hit from behind is not an automatic penalty. Wasn't a blindside hit, and it wasn't any worse than some of the checks the Blues laid in the same exact game. If that made Upshall mad enough to crosscheck Panarin in the neck and upper back repeatedly, I think that speaks more to Upshall being a moron, no?

Beyond that, how were they supposed to "take advantage" of that? No penalty was gonna be called on Upshall, so was Panarin supposed to just take the crosschecks and walk away like nothing happened? That's a good way to leave yourself open to being taken advantage of later on. Could you make the argument that someone ELSE should have taken him to task later? Sure. But after all the ******** upshall pulled and the challenge, I actually commend Panarin in this situation.

It wasn't "ego" as you so ignorantly claim. If you want to just stat watch and ignore the actual competition that is going on between people, just admit so and quit trying to equate players to your mathematical potential perfect model, because that's about as much pie in the sky ******** as can be had in sports.

halcyon

Jun 23, 2015
Opposing players often hook, hold, crosscheck, slash Panarin without getting called. Kane (though he will never drop the gloves) gets it a lot too.

Glad to see Panarin stepping up. Sends a message that you can't just do whatever the **** you want to star players without repercussions.

TLEH

Pronounced T-Lay
Feb 28, 2015
Bomoseen, Vermont
Still need to play so much better. This team is getting out possessed and out shot nightly and getting insane goaltending, not the recipe for success

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Still need to play so much better. This team is getting out possessed and out shot nightly and getting insane goaltending, not the recipe for success

Yep.

Thus far the 2016-2017 Blackhawks are basically the 2013-2014 Avalanche.

Now, there's reason to believe that can change. The team is integrating rookies, and theyre getting better, moving up the lineup.

We have a ton of talent on defense, young and veteran. Im not a huge fan of how some of the vets are being paired right now, but between how much Q loves Forsling and how well Kempny is playinf, youd have to think at some point the babysitting roles will die and we'll get Campbell back on his appropriate side, and Keith will get Seabrook back as a patner.

So there's reason for optimism, but dear god, the possession needs to get better.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yep.

Now, there's reason to believe that can change. The team is integrating rookies, and theyre getting better, moving up the lineup.

We have a ton of talent on defense, young and veteran. Im not a huge fan of how some of the vets are being paired right now, but between how much Q loves Forsling and how well Kempny is playinf, youd have to think at some point the babysitting roles will die and we'll get Campbell back on his appropriate side, and Keith will get Seabrook back as a patner.

So there's reason for optimism, but dear god, the possession needs to get better.

remember, the stats and extra stats i am not familiar with. but as you mention, that matching up of the rookies with the vets, will get them ready as a player that the team can depend on later, especially during the playoff.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
This team is pretty solid, huh? Fun game to watch.

Yes. They are playing like the best team in the West, and their place in the standings shows it. Really fun team to watch, and with these rookies all starting to click at the NHL level, the team is going to continue to get more and more dangerous. I would expect the power rankings to reflect the Hawks recent surge very soon. They're looking like the team to beat out of the West again...

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Another 2 points in November. :handclap: Some observations:
- 8 is not ready for top 6 - at least not on a regular basis
- Forsling needs to be sheltered better
- Kempny looked good as did Hartman
- love to see Panarin with the GH hat trick - some of these stats guys it seems will never fully understand hockey
- lovely positional hockey by Crawford topped off with a 10 bell save on Tarasenko. CC stole this one but also caused himself some grief with some pretty juicy rebounds but he stopped them so all is good
- when is Q gonna figure out that Keith should not be on the PP?
- dam I hope AA is not badly hurt. Didn't see what happened.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
I'm actually going to agree with JD to an extent here. It was a rather poor time for Panarin to fight a bottom 6 player. He redeemed himself by scoring that OT goal though. Don't get me wrong I love that Panarin is willing to stand up for himself, looked good in the fight, and ended with a Gordie Howe hatrick but that still doesn't change the fact that it was wrong time to accept that fight.

Agree with everything you said.

Panarin's fight was especially bad in an important division game - a game in which two goalies were putting on a clinic save for some rebounds by Allen in the second period.

Motte was already out. Anisimov was out. Taking your second best offensive weapon off the ice in the end of a very tight game for 5 minutes was just dumb. I get hockey, tempers, adrenaline, all that, but he's gotta be smarter.

Nice to see he scored that goal and redeemed himself, but he had a very poor game prior to that. His passing was awful all night long.

That said, I really hate the Blues. They remind me of the Super Bowl winning Seahawks with those big DBs were allowed to get away with PI on every play. I watch tons of NHL games on the app. I see pretty much every team - even 'big' teams like Anaheim simply don't interfere as much as STL does. We can talk about the hooks on Kane's breakaway and others, but the officiating was very one sided. The numbers will look better but keep in mind that two (maybe 3?) of those were delay of game penalties.

I counted at LEAST 4-5 interference calls that should have been whistled. The hit on Ras was not only shoulder to head contact but also interference. Ras did not have the puck.

I just hate that team. I hate the Cardinals. I hate that horrid city and their horrid fans.

Cheering 'Crawford' when the Hawks are on the PP in the STL zone. This on a night when Crawford put on one of the best goaltending performances you are going to see this entire season in the NHL.

Just dumb.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Panarin's fight was especially bad in an important division game - a game in which two goalies were putting on a clinic save for some rebounds by Allen in the second period.

Motte was already out. Anisimov was out. Taking your second best offensive weapon off the ice in the end of a very tight game for 5 minutes was just dumb. I get hockey, tempers, adrenaline, all that, but he's gotta be smarter.

Nice to see he scored that goal and redeemed himself, but he had a very poor game prior to that. His passing was awful all night long.

Just wondering. Have you ever played the game? It is so easy to sit in your arm chair and criticise. Does Panarin's compete level not count for anything? It certainly should - If all the Blackhawks played with that intensity they'd be a much better team.

Q's post game comments saying the same:

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video/coach-q-on-anisimov-ot-win/t-277437096/c-46208903

Last edited:

Robsker

Nov 8, 2014
Another 2 points in November. :handclap: Some observations:
- 8 is not ready for top 6 - at least not on a regular basis
- Forsling needs to be sheltered better
- Kempny looked good as did Hartman
- love to see Panarin with the GH hat trick - some of these stats guys it seems will never fully understand hockey
- lovely positional hockey by Crawford topped off with a 10 bell save on Tarasenko. CC stole this one but also caused himself some grief with some pretty juicy rebounds but he stopped them so all is good
- when is Q gonna figure out that Keith should not be on the PP?
- dam I hope AA is not badly hurt. Didn't see what happened.

I agree with the Hartman assessment - he is playing well. I was initially concerned with his taking bad penalties and contributing little. So... like some others, Hartman was an initial concern for me. But he sure has been solid, played hard, contributed and has played generally rather controlled. Good for him.

Kempny is getting there and is soon to be rather trustworthy.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
One more point:

Folks forget that Blues were chasing the game for a good portion of it. This is a good thing - As what usually happens, the team chasing the game get more chances in their attempts to try and even the score. Most of those chances were handled quite easily by Crawford with good anticipation and positioning. SOG mean very little when you have a goaltender in the zone and most chances coming from well outside of the blue paint.

The PK is much better lately - If Hawks can get the PP going they will be in good shape.

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Yep.

No, it's the not the Avs. The Hawks don't have a wife beater in net. :)

Seriously though, I don't see as much speed on this team. Some of those young Avs guys - namely McKinnon and Duchene are pure lightning. I like the games of the rookies on the Hawks but I don't see that same speed.

cassac

Sep 19, 2013
Opposing players often hook, hold, crosscheck, slash Panarin without getting called. Kane (though he will never drop the gloves) gets it a lot too.

Glad to see Panarin stepping up. Sends a message that you can't just do whatever the **** you want to star players without repercussions.

Kane has dropped gloves before. All-Star Game against John Scott :sarcasm:

Backyard Hockey

Dealing With It
Feb 13, 2015
Just wondering. Have you ever played the game? It is so easy to sit in your arm chair and criticise. Does Panarin's compete level not count for anything? It certainly should - If all the Blackhawks played with that intensity they'd be a much better team.

https://www.nhl.com/blackhawks/video/coach-q-on-anisimov-ot-win/t-277437096/c-46208903

Yes, I've played the game. Admittedly later in life. I grew up near Wrigley in the 70's/80's. Hockey just wasn't a thing - I played baseball and football through youth and high school.

I picked up hockey/skating when my kids got into it and now play rat and rec men's and of course, with my kids. I help coach the PeeWee team, but just help with drills and line changes and what not and leave the real work to the head coach who played college hockey.

I can do the same thing. I'm assuming you played hockey. But did you play hockey at the NHL level?

Anyone can play that game. I understand that having played the game and understanding the room, etc gives a better and more accurate perspective, but cmon man, we all watch the games.

Whether I played in the NHL for 247 years or have never seen a puck, does that change the fact that Panarin was a turnover machine last night? We all saw it and many commented on it - compete level is great. But that doesn't change the fact that his passes simply weren't connecting almost the entire night.

As for the fight, we can argue all day long about the need for it. What can't be argued is that the second most valuable offensive player (and critical PP cog) was off the ice for the last 5 minutes of the game - a game in which the goalies were outstanding, the margin was the slimmest and the Hawks were already missing two key pieces (including one of the leading scorers in the league). I get it - retaliate, defend, scrap, all that.

I would have preferred that Tootoo somehow engage on a different shift. Or I could understand the scrap if the Hawks were up 3 or down 3. Not a smart time to do it. You saw what the PP looked like with Panarin in the box. STL got a gift - they traded got a 70 point player in the box for 5 minutes while losing one of their bums.

Central PA Hawk Fan

Apr 16, 2007
York, PA

Great point, a lot of fans often forget this is still a game played by human beings with emotions out on the ice.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Great point, a lot of fans often forget this is still a game played by human beings with emotions out on the ice.

Yes, fans just can't empathize to the emotional part of the game. People don't understand how competitive these high level athletes are. Granted I only got to high major college football ... but you realize the competitive nature of these athletes, especially the stars. It's that edge / combative nature that drives them. Now think about the pros and multiply that ego / competitive edge by threefold.

Logically, we don't want to lose one of our best player for the last 5 minutes of a 1 goal game. We don't want Panarin to pound Upshall to the side of his head with his bare fists. But it's also that ego / drive / competitive edge that makes Panarin great. Sometimes, you have to let athletes be athletes. They're not robots. High level performing athletes are wired differently.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Yes, I've played the game. Admittedly later in life. I grew up near Wrigley in the 70's/80's. Hockey just wasn't a thing - I played baseball and football through youth and high school.

I picked up hockey/skating when my kids got into it and now play rat and rec men's and of course, with my kids. I help coach the PeeWee team, but just help with drills and line changes and what not and leave the real work to the head coach who played college hockey.

I can do the same thing. I'm assuming you played hockey. But did you play hockey at the NHL level?

Anyone can play that game. I understand that having played the game and understanding the room, etc gives a better and more accurate perspective, but cmon man, we all watch the games.

Whether I played in the NHL for 247 years or have never seen a puck, does that change the fact that Panarin was a turnover machine last night? We all saw it and many commented on it - compete level is great. But that doesn't change the fact that his passes simply weren't connecting almost the entire night.

As for the fight, we can argue all day long about the need for it. What can't be argued is that the second most valuable offensive player (and critical PP cog) was off the ice for the last 5 minutes of the game - a game in which the goalies were outstanding, the margin was the slimmest and the Hawks were already missing two key pieces (including one of the leading scorers in the league). I get it - retaliate, defend, scrap, all that.

I would have preferred that Tootoo somehow engage on a different shift. Or I could understand the scrap if the Hawks were up 3 or down 3. Not a smart time to do it. You saw what the PP looked like with Panarin in the box. STL got a gift - they traded got a 70 point player in the box for 5 minutes while losing one of their bums.

whether it was a good idea of Panarin needed to fight or not, it was at the moment decision. whether i would like to see him fight all the time, that is not the question.

now think about it, what the hawks kinda of gotten away from is having a player who is a fighter, to intercede. in order to protect the talented player like kane, panarin etc..... the hawks will loose that extra player who makes any line potent.

there is a definite cause and effect on making changes to have a player being on certain line, to guard our elite player

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
One more point:

Folks forget that Blues were chasing the game for a good portion of it. This is a good thing - As what usually happens, the team chasing the game get more chances in their attempts to try and even the score. Most of those chances were handled quite easily by Crawford with good anticipation and positioning. SOG mean very little when you have a goaltender in the zone and most chances coming from well outside of the blue paint.

The PK is much better lately - If Hawks can get the PP going they will be in good shape.

We came out strong in the 1st period on the road. It earned us a 5-3 penalty. Granted we stunk on the 5-3 ... but the Hawks were aggressive early. We waned at the end of the 1st period ... but the 2nd period was okay ... and the early 3rd wasn't bad. Then we went into a shell and got blitzed as the 3rd period wore on. Remember, their defensemen took a lot of chances and some of our players had great chances at the other end because of it. If we hit on a couple of them, it's a very different game. And it was on the road against a rival.

However, I do agree ... there's still a lot of room to improve. But it sure does feel good to have an elite goalie to erase most, if not all, of our mistakes.

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Panarin got a Gordie Howe Hat Trick; your argument is invalid. :P

This game was proof that a low-scoring tilt can be exciting--especially if both netminders are putting on a clinic. Glad we came out with the W

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN

This is a brutal comparison. The Hawks are a much different team than that Avs team what so weak defensively and got great carried by Varlomov. This Hawks team is good on D and Crow is playing great. This version of the Hawks is much more sustainable. The possession numbers should go up as the team matures. Bobby pointed this out but this Hawks team is much more likely to hold the puck and wait for a good scoring chance instead of just shooting the puck.

Last edited:

Fortyfives

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2011
Hawks need to start hitting the net and it will improve stats overall as well. Kane had what 3-4 semi-breakaway opportunities last night and didn't even get a shot on goal on most of them.

I wish I could review 8's shifts on the top line last night, because I remember him looking fine. Even if I a missing something Panik was not any better. Either way Kane looked really disinterested.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Hawks need to start hitting the net and it will improve stats overall as well. Kane had what 3-4 semi-breakaway opportunities last night and didn't even get a shot on goal on most of them.

I wish I could review 8's shifts on the top line last night, because I remember him looking fine. Even if I a missing something Panik was not any better. Either way Kane looked really disinterested.

Didn't Q make the change after AA got hurt?

Schmaltz was solid last night. He did not shy away from the game (like TT did and no I am not off the TT talent train yet).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad