GDT: Game 14: Flyers at Sharks, 7:30pm

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I feel like because of Labanc's size and lack of physicality he is an easy scapegoat.

Nah... it's the games where he clearly isn't skating hard and and gets out muscled by even the smallest player on the other team after trying to stick handle thru 3 guys before committing a game altering turn over that he should have learned to avoid in Peewees...

Reactions: DeadGhost

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Yes, the sample size is rather small but the stats are so lopsided, that they can’t be ignored. I get putting them out there together late in the 3rd if we are down and desperately trying to tie it. But not at other points in the game. Throw the advanced stats out, just use the eye test or logic: they don’t make a good defensive pair, both are at their best when they control the play which they can’t do at the same time and both tend to be adventurous in their own zone quite often... doesn’t make sense.

Yes, they can be ignored because Burns and EK65 have been together mostly at the end of games when the team was losing and taking risky chances to try and get a goal. Defense frankly is secondary in those situations. How many empty netters has the team given up with EK65 and Burns on the ice at the end of a game? Seems like a bunch but maybe the recent one skews my memory. Also I think they were out there together during a short handed goal or 2 against. All those numbers will balance out by the end of the season IMO. If the team is trailing at the end of a game or period, pretty much every coach in the NHL will put out Burns and EK65 if they had that luxury. It'll take a lot more than some bad luck in the first 14 games to change their mind.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
For future reference , points scored against which teams count and does this apply only to LaBlanc? I see Flyers don't count but are there any others?

Not what I said. Saying he has 10 points in 14 games isn't proof that he's been good and shouldn't have been scratched. So far he's only had multi point games against one team and the Sharks don't face them again this season. As always with him, he needs more consistency in his game. Kinda like Timo, Hertl, Burns etc... Not saying he has to match their totals, just needs to be a more consistent contributor instead of showing up big in a blow out and then disappearing for numerous games. To be honest I thought this was maybe his best, most impactful game. He was a major factor why the team won.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: FeedingFrenzy

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
Umm... 6 of those 10 points are in 2 (of 14) games... against the Flyers. :help:

Okay, so that’s at least 1 game where we definitely don’t win with a replacement player in the lineup instead of LaBanc. That’s 2 (team) points we don’t have without those 6 and that would bump us from 3rd in the division to 5th (in points percentage).

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
We're missing Link.

I went ahead and prepared a contract for him:

burger-trap.jpg

Reactions: landshark

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
Okay, so that’s at least 1 game where we definitely don’t win with a replacement player in the lineup instead of LaBanc. That’s 2 (team) points we don’t have without those 6 and that would bump us from 3rd in the division to 5th (in points percentage).

Ok..? I pointed out that he was great last night in a following post. Probably the only game where he was a true difference maker. That jump from 3rd to 5th means very little when they've only played 14 games. C'mon man you know that. o_O

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad