GDT: Game 14: Flyers at Sharks, 7:30pm

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
I think the idea is that the Flyers are a team we should be beating comfortably.

While there has been some expected hyperbole, Jones has been truly awful this season. Also, there are legitimate questions throughout the lineup.

If anyone was paying attention to the pregame, the Flyers have been playing quite well since we swept the floor with them.

Also, it’s not just the hyperbole but nearly every play gets lambasted. I’ve said it before but does anyone truly expect us to win every game? Skate the hardest? Every shift? Make perfect passes?
It’s ludicrous the expectations some on here have.
If I’m ever wrong, I actually come on here and say so, some people sling and sling and sling without stating they were wrong. Sheepishly or not.

I get it that some don’t care, some even savor this kind of bitterness and loathing.

I’m personally very happy my team won. All the right decisions were made. I think that’s the best thing.

Go Sharks!!

NWSharkie

Nov 4, 2018
PNW
So, long time lurker, first time caller, etc... Can somebody more systems-knowledgeable than me explain what's going on with the Sharks' defensive sorting? In years past, it seemed like they were playing more of a collapse defense to the front of the net, but this season it seems like there have been a lot of miscues leaving the front of the net and/or high slot open. I also noticed a couple of instances tonight where the RD would pressure up the boards and it looked like the forwards weren't sure who was supposed to cover on the cycle. Is that a side effect of Karlsson's addition scrambling the pairs, or is more going on? TIA!

Reactions: NiWa

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Glad we ended up getting the win. The Refs oughta have their heads examined on the Hertl headshot. should have been a no brainer 5 and a game and they straight up f***ing ignored it.

Last edited:
Reactions: Phu

anthonyyy

Aug 11, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
So, long time lurker, first time caller, etc... Can somebody more systems-knowledgeable than me explain what's going on with the Sharks' defensive sorting? In years past, it seemed like they were playing more of a collapse defense to the front of the net, but this season it seems like there have been a lot of miscues leaving the front of the net and/or high slot open. I also noticed a couple of instances tonight where the RD would pressure up the boards and it looked like the forwards weren't sure who was supposed to cover on the cycle. Is that a side effect of Karlsson's addition scrambling the pairs, or is more going on? TIA!
I think it's a combo of players getting used to different partners and Burns being a crazy nomad.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Extraordinary game to be at. Tank seemed LOUD, way louder than when I was there a year ago. EK65, Burns, and the Couture line were completely dominant. Couture in particular put on probably the best game I’ve see out of him in years. Best game from Karlsson in teal. Just a brilliant effort all game long. Timo doing Timo stuff. Only downer is Hertl. :(

Honestly, in person, Melker somehow looked even worse than usual. Braun was kinda messy. And as loud as I cheered when Jumbo scored, I’m definitely still concerned about him. Pavelski and Kane were both much better when Donskoi replaced Thornton on their line. I wasn’t close enough to see which (if any) of the goals were on Jones, but he did not inspire confidence from where I was sitting.

Burns was just phenomenal at both ends of the ice almost the entire game. He made a number of excellent defensive plays as well as several sweet outlet passes right to the tape of the recipient. He’s in Norris form. And if Karlsson builds off of this very good game, he will be soon enough. Saw a lot of vintage Karlsson tonight.

Banc looked solid. Still some of his bad habits, but definitely better than the first few games and that pass to Pavelski on the PP was incredible. That penalty on Sorensen’s breakaway absolutely should have been a penalty shot, no question.

Penalty Kill as a whole was great. PP was on and off.

And Timo absolutely looks as good as his stat-line. Just a force right now. If he maintains this level of play all season, I might change my mind on the Barzal/Rantanen thing. I honestly feel that he’s our third best forward at worst, and arguably our best.

Lastly, I saw a dude with a Matt Irwin jersey. Wild stuff.

Jargon

Apr 12, 2011
Venice, California
Watched the game late, some thoughts:

-I've been really eager, since last year, to put Pavs, Kane and Donskoi together again -- I'm glad Pete did, because I thought they looked really good. I'd like to eventually see:

Meier - Couture - Hertl (what a ridiculous line they are right now)
Kane - Pavs - Donskoi
Sorenson - Joe - Labanc
one of our skill/scorer guys from the A - Suomela - Goodrow

I don't love putting both our best playmakers on the same line, but for now, I think it's worth a try. Hell, Labanc has a hell of a shot too, so maybe he can channel some Cheechoo.

-Joe looked much better and his skating looks better every game. I think he's getting better in small percentages but I'm heartened that he IS getting better and I still think he's going to impress us by next year.

-Karlsson looked good today. Those flashes, man, I think he needs to score a goal and have a game where he just dominates like he's used to and it'll start clicking for him.

-God, I hope Hertl is okay.

-Can we get rid of Melker yet?

rangerssharks414

Mar 9, 2010
Long Island, NY
SNOG announcement

Lone SNOG by virtue of goalscorers tiebreaker. Congrats on your first SNOG of the year, rs414! (Also had to generate a new image because I seem to have lost the original for some reason.)

View attachment 151877

#Date / Opponent
SNOG Winner(s)
Result
1Oct. 3 vs DucksnoneDucks 5-2
2Oct. 5 at KingsPackShark, HOOCH2173, Herschel, Ol Dirty PirateSharks 3-2 OT
3Oct. 8 at IslandersnoneIslanders 4-0
4Oct. 9 at FlyersnoneSharks 8-2
5Oct. 11 at RangersnoneRangers 3-2 OT
6Oct. 14 at DevilsnoneDevils 3-2
7Oct. 18 vs SabresfasterthanlightSharks 5-1
8Oct. 20 vs IslandersBaileyMacTavish, Kcoyote3Sharks 4-1
9Oct. 23 at PredatorsnoneSharks 5-4
10Oct. 26 at HurricanesnoneHurricanes 4-3 SO
11Oct. 28 at DucksnoneSharks 4-3 OT
12Oct. 30 vs RangersnoneRangers 4-3 SO
13Nov. 1 vs Blue JacketsnoneBlue Jackets 4-1
14Nov. 3 vs Flyersrangerssharks414Sharks 4-3 OT
[THEAD] [/THEAD]
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rank
2018-19 SNOG standings
# of SNOGs
T-1.BaileyMacTavish, fasterthanlight, Herschel, HOOCH2173, Kcoyote3, Ol Dirty Pirate, PackShark, rangerssharks4141
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Hooray!

Reactions: Phu

slocal

Dude...what?
May 4, 2010
Central Coast CA
Lastly, I saw a dude with a Matt Irwin jersey.

oh-really-now.gif

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Just finished watching the game and haven’t taken the time to read this thread, but I have to vent first.

What is PDB thinking at times? I didn’t understand why he split up the “2nd”-line when Jumbo came back. He put them back together tonight and puts in Chartier and the new formed line of Chartier with Donskoi and Labanc looked very good for the period. The whole team looked great in the 1st despite the score. The 1st line wasn’t too good, but why not keep it rolling, because the other lines were working?

But here is my bigger problem: even if you decide to shake up the 1st line, why do it on the cost of that new formed well working third line? Why not put Jumbo on the 4th line and switch him with Sorensen (or Melker :rolleyes:)?

Even worse: he constantly puts out Burns and Karlsson at the end of periods despite it clearly not working. Kevin Kurz dissected the advanced stats of those two together on the ice and even strange and it was beyond horrible. Despite that, Pete puts them out again at the end of period two and sure enough, Flyers score...

Glad we got the 2 points, the team deserved it, but PDB is making it harder on them than it needs to be IMO.

TomasHertlsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
:rolleyes::rolleyes:Just finished watching the game and haven’t taken the time to read this thread, but I have to vent first.

What is PDB thinking at times? I didn’t understand why he split up the “2nd”-line when Jumbo came back. He put them back together tonight and puts in Chartier and the new formed line of Chartier with Donskoi and Labanc looked very good for the period. The whole team looked great in the 1st despite the score. The 1st line wasn’t too good, but why not keep it rolling, because the other lines were working?

But here is my bigger problem: even if you decide to shake up the 1st line, why do it on the cost of that new formed well working third line? Why not put Jumbo on the 4th line and switch him with Sorensen (or Melker :rolleyes:)?

Even worse: he constantly puts out Burns and Karlsson at the end of periods despite it clearly not working. Kevin Kurz dissected the advanced stats of those two together on the ice and even strange and it was beyond horrible. Despite that, Pete puts them out again at the end of period two and sure enough, Flyers score...

Glad we got the 2 points, the team deserved it, but PDB is making it harder on them than it needs to be IMO.

Kevin Kurz should not do any more “dissecting” of advanced stats ever again without consulting HFBoards. Anybody who understands those metrics well enough to include them in articles that they get paid to write, should understand that the sample size of those two playing together (all of 25 minutes and 30 f***ing seconds) is far, far too small to draw any sort of meaningful conclusion from whatever happened in that sample size.

Reactions: Sandisfan

CaptainShark

Sep 25, 2004
Fulda, Germany
Yes, the sample size is rather small but the stats are so lopsided, that they can’t be ignored. I get putting them out there together late in the 3rd if we are down and desperately trying to tie it. But not at other points in the game. Throw the advanced stats out, just use the eye test or logic: they don’t make a good defensive pair, both are at their best when they control the play which they can’t do at the same time and both tend to be adventurous in their own zone quite often... doesn’t make sense.

hohosaregood

Banned
Sep 1, 2011
So...power forwards take a little bit longer to develop?

Nick Ritchie and Jake Virtanen ain't going nowhere tho.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Kevin Kurz should not do any more “dissecting” of advanced stats ever again without consulting HFBoards. Anybody who understands those metrics well enough to include them in articles that they get paid to write, should understand that the sample size of those two playing together (all of 25 minutes and 30 ****ing seconds) is far, far too small to draw any sort of meaningful conclusion from whatever happened in that sample size.

Lolz. Oh the irony.

Reactions: Sandisfan

Doctor Soraluce

Sep 28, 2017
I like that it only took a previous in game demotion for Lebanc to put in a much better effort. In previous seasons he would have to get completely scratched to get himself recalibrated. Really good game from him with some absolutely spectacular passes. Funny that the 2 he set up were Jumbo and Pavs. Jumbo also looks like he's making bigger strides game to game than I thought he would. Love that they moved him down the lineup though so he can feast on lesser competition. Gotta keep him away from Pavs though except maybe on the PP. Burns is looking like a Norris contender this season IMO. Looks like 2016. If they can get the f***ing goaltending figured out they could be great this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad