GDT: Game 14: Columbus vs. Ottawa | 11/5 7PM EST

JKinCLE

killing time @ work
Jul 10, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
sounds like Ritchie may have ripped into the team afterwards...supposedly late to post game presser

God I hope so... I would love to be a fly on the wall listening. Do you think its an angry and loud TR? or more of a speechless, disappointed TR?

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
Good idea. A team that lacks goal scoring should bench its most dangerous and lethal goal scorer. I feel it.

If he's going to go out there and skate around like the Jeff Carter of 11-12 like he did tonight, I say ship him while we still can get solid return. I don't think I can watch another player do that to us.

Speedy Sanderson

Jan 29, 2012
Good idea. A team that lacks goal scoring should bench its most dangerous and lethal goal scorer. I feel it.

If you can cite a game this season where he's been lethal and dangerous, please let me know. From my vantage point at Nationwide, he looks like a loafer thus far. I doubt he resigns with Columbus anyways, so trade him and get a couple players/picks in return.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
God I hope so... I would love to be a fly on the wall listening. Do you think its an angry and loud TR? or more of a speechless, disappointed TR?

One of the guys last year, Wisniewski I think, was quoted as saying he's more of a "I'm disappointed in you" kind of coach, which doesn't surprise me in the slightest honestly. His presser tonight was an interesting listen.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
In the radio postgame, McGelligott said there's only 3 or 4 guys who could look in the mirror and say they are doing their job to the best of their ability. Wish he would have named them, I thought of Boll, MacK, and Murray. Oh and Savard but apparently Nikitin has the better player this year since he continues to be out there. Whoever is making that call, it's a real head shaker for me.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
In the radio postgame, McGelligott said there's only 3 or 4 guys who could look in the mirror and say they are doing their job to the best of their ability. Wish he would have named them, I thought of Boll, MacK, and Murray. Oh and Savard but apparently Nikitin has the better player this year since he continues to be out there. Whoever is making that call, it's a real head shaker for me.

I'd say Johansen, Murray, and McElhinney. If there's a 4th it would be MacKenzie.

Paisano*

Coaches don't score goals nor create chances guys. We can hire/fire every coach on the face of the planet but it won't help. We are not a skilled team nor a good team right now. We rode a hot streak last season and an incredibly hot goalie, we aren't a good team.
I'm actually agreeing with this! :help:

CBJfan4evr

Mar 8, 2008
New Albany
To be honest I think we have a good player core.... but something is missing.... I don't kmow what has happened since last April??

I have no answers anymore...

I'll take a stab at it. Flame away... There have been several subtle/not so subtle changes to the team that Howoson assembled that have left us at this place. The most dramatic of course is the Gaborik trade. I'm still not a big fan of that move and watched Gaborik float around the ice tonite. Seems like we traded one 7 million/yr ego (Nash, Gaborik) for another. Losing Brassard, Dorsett and Moore changed the grittiness of this team. Letting Prospal walk took away the clubhouse leader. Still not sold on the Comeau trade. Compounding all of this is the horrible year Letestu is having and the injuries to Calvert and Jenner. Mchinnley is serviceable but there are better back-ups out there. Bobrovsky is having an average year, he is not the Mason disaster and will likely get better assuming that our D make better decisions. While Murray is certainly the real deal I think there have been times where he has made some decisions that have led to goals. There are alot of issues with this team and no quick answer. The east seems to me to be more of a "run and gun" league. I am left to wonder if we are built to compete; additionally I think the teams in the east have generally been on the rise. We may have stepped into a hornets nest in that regard.

MFRONE

Feb 3, 2005
Columbus, Ohio
Trading Brassard (a soft forward who was afraid to attack the net), Dorsett (a guy who constantly took dumb penalties) and Moore (a guy who was always stratched and had trouble moving the puck out of the defensive zone) changed the grittiness of the team? Who were you watching the last few years, because it wasn't the Jackets.

Palinka

Dec 19, 2007

If Jared Boll is playing to the best of his ability, then his ass needs to be shipped out the door tomorrow.

He's become a poster child for bottom-six forwards who came in doing one thing well and leading to all sorts of gaps being filled in about what he could do, given time and circumstance. He's in his seventh NHL season, has already peaked, and will not exceed what he's already shown. I cannot figure out how no one in the front office seems to have caught on to this.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Watching the Sharks game against the Sabres, but I am amazed with the Sharks. I know it's the Sabres but seriously San Jose in the offensive zone is dazzling. Crisp passes, hard shots, all working as one unit, and most importantly all over the rebounds like actual Sharks in the water. Wish we could do that.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Watching the Sharks game against the Sabres, but I am amazed with the Sharks. I know it's the Sabres but seriously San Jose in the offensive zone is dazzling. Crisp passes, hard shots, all working as one unit, and most importantly all over the rebounds like actual Sharks in the water. Wish we could do that.
Agreed. It's obvious the product the team is giving the city is way below par.

This was a critical season for showing people in Columbus why they should care about NHL hockey. Then, with the spotlight on the team and a record number of season ticket holders, they crap the bed at home repeatedly.

I don't really care what they do on the road, but they need to score and win at home in front of the people of Columbus.

RBarRegular

May 20, 2009
Senecaville
This team is unwatchable. And how many guys are we going to call up to play on the 4th line that simply can't play? Chaput, Craig, Collins,...

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus
I love Jody but I'm not sure he's going to make it... every guy on Fox is feeding him but nothing is there.... (an empty box imo) :(

Funny you think they're feeding him because I commented how trim he looks. He must be 30 pounds under his playing weight - looks good. I sat right behind him last night.

pete goegan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 6, 2006
Washington, DC
Trading Brassard (a soft forward who was afraid to attack the net), Dorsett (a guy who constantly took dumb penalties) and Moore (a guy who was always stratched and had trouble moving the puck out of the defensive zone) changed the grittiness of the team?

I wouldn't argue with the rest of his analysis, but that line jumped out at me, too.

This team is unwatchable. And how many guys are we going to call up to play on the 4th line that simply can't play? Chaput, Craig, Collins,...

Actually, I thought Chaput was one of the few who played decently, last night.

Edit: the crowd, announced as 13,000+, surprised me, a bit. I expected fewer. There will be fewer, soon, unless there is an immediate (magical?) turnaround in this teams performance at home.

Last edited:

Dr. Fire

What, me worry?
Jun 29, 2007
Jacketstown, Ohio
This is still a very young team, and there is still going to be some brain farts by those young guys. Having said that, to me the Jackets are just not playing the game that made them so successful last season. Every game that I have been to and watched has not looked like the team we saw last season.

My biggest observation would be the lack of intensity of the fore-check. That carried them to many a victory last season, and to me has been completely lacking this season. Granted, one of the best, peskiest fore-checkers, Calvert, has been out, but still.

A few tweaks should help the D and goaltending, but the players need to kick up the fore-check to last seasons intensity level, to be better.

BluejacketNut

Sep 23, 2006
www.erazzphoto.com
Ahh, the good ol days feeling is back! Here is Jackets hockey.....get completely outplayed in the 1st 2 periods and dig a hole. Wake up in the 3rd period and dominate, we'll play most of the 3rd in the other teams zone only to make 1 mistake and it ends up in the back of the net.

jackets4life

Jan 16, 2013
Section 203
I thought the special teams looked great last night for the most part, it's 5v5 where we get outplayed.

Dude's my favorite player, but Atkinson really needs to step up his game, he's been invisible out there. If we're going to win games, he needs to contribute. I don't mean to single him out, but he's just not playing with the fire he did last season and in some games this season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad