Goal-Day Thread Game 14: Arizona Coyotes @ Philadelphia Gritties | 11/8/2018 5:00 p.m. MST | FS-A Plus

cobra427

May 6, 2012
We were fortunate to actually get a point, we'll take it. True we should have held them off better but we had 2 short handed goals, so fortunate there. Our team D and goal tending is starting to slip a little. We can't give up 4 goals and expect to get 2 points. Our GA needs to come back down the next 2 games. Its still a game of mistakes and we made a few too many.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Right, so let’s just hang out and pretend it’s ok to give up a 2 goal lead and just say “they aren’t there yet.”

Makes zero sense.
When I was young, I lost a match that I thought I had in the bag. It hurt, but I sure learned from it. Sometimes a good kick in the teeth like that loss is a great learning experience. It makes perfect sense. They need to experience that kind of loss and to hate the feeling. So yea, unless you had money on the game, it's really ok.

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
When I was young, I lost a match that I thought I had in the bag. It hurt, but I sure learned from it. Sometimes a good kick in the teeth like that loss is a great learning experience. It makes perfect sense. They need to experience that kind of loss and to hate the feeling. So yea, unless you had money on the game, it's really ok.

Sure. However, this team has experienced what happened last night a hell of a lot more times than last night to know that feeling.

It’s not ok. Mediocrity has been the MO since 2012. Don’t f***ing lose games you’re up by 2 going into the third.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Sure. However, this team has experienced what happened last night a hell of a lot more times than last night to know that feeling.

It’s not ok. Mediocrity has been the MO since 2012. Don’t ****ing lose games you’re up by 2 going into the third.
This is the start of year 2 of the rebuild, for all intents and purposes. Dismaying losses are going to happen. The experiences prior to Tocchet might well shape our expectations, but they don't shape the expectations of the team.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Guy's a total stud on the ice. You obviously have enough knowledge that you see this, he makes one on one defensive plays that I marvel at, nearly every game.
RT said it would look like this and he's taking the chances as prescribed imo. I'ts just like Nick H pressuring last night on the first Flyer goal, he wouldn't be doing that unless it's being asked of him.
He is a very good player who is caught out of position too often. He can be a complete D stalwart with some fine tuning. Many parts of his game are world class but right now he's the guy making too many major mistakes.
It's not like I'm calling him a scrub but really I think he needs to simplify his game and his talent will naturally shine.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
We were gifted two SH goals. PK is a strength of this team at the moment, but if you think this will continue you are crazy. If and when the tide turns, and teams start to score on their PP we could be in for a bit of a rough time. You can think what you want of OEL and I'm not making excuses for him because there is no need. We only had 5 D last night and I think did a stellar job considering. The forwards are the ones that went OWOL.
Arent all goals "gifted" where someone made a mistake or was beat.
We have proven game after game that this is a very good PK. Of course the goals will not continue but the PK probably will stay very strong.
Defense is a team game no doubt.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I think that is partly the coaches fault for trying to hang on. He did the same thing against Carolina. We were lucky to win that one.
I don't think so, at least not the game against Philly. We would lose a face off in our zone and then spend the entire shift trying to get it back, or refuse to get the puck deep. Richardson said it best when he said "we were brain dead". I really thought Strome, Fischer and Perlini would each be in the 35 pt. range, but the way it looks they will be lucky to get that between all three. Their inconsistency is driving me nuts. Most complain about Cousins but he has more points than any of the three and he plays a pesky consistent game every game. There is no way Cousins should be in a top six role, but here he is.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Arent all goals "gifted" where someone made a mistake or was beat.
We have proven game after game that this is a very good PK. Of course the goals will not continue but the PK probably will stay very strong.
Defense is a team game no doubt.

I would say most goals are earned not gifted, but if you feel the other way that is fine, it's your opinion. I agree with you that our PK should be strong if there are no injuries.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We were fortunate to actually get a point, we'll take it. True we should have held them off better but we had 2 short handed goals, so fortunate there. Our team D and goal tending is starting to slip a little. We can't give up 4 goals and expect to get 2 points. Our GA needs to come back down the next 2 games. Its still a game of mistakes and we made a few too many.
I would have been happy with the one point is you asked me before the game, but the way we lost that extra point is inexcusable. We had them on the ropes entering the third period and we totally blew it. RT said it was a learning experience for the team.

hbk

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Visit site
I would have been happy with the one point is you asked me before the game, but the way we lost that extra point is inexcusable. We had them on the ropes entering the third period and we totally blew it. RT said it was a learning experience for the team.
I think they did learn to ice 6 healthy D instead of playing a hurt Goligoski for a minute and a half.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If I was RT I would put Strome, Fischer and Perlini on the first line against other teams first lines and tell them it's time to grow up and play like you are expected to play. Carry the team, show some balls and pride, and no more hiding behind every ones coattails. Each has shown signs of brilliance so we know they can do it, but only about one game in four will not cut it. If we are to make the playoffs this year, these three have to pull their weight and then some.

Reactions: SR

cobra427

May 6, 2012
If I was RT I would put Strome, Fischer and Perlini on the first line against other teams first lines and tell them it's time to grow up and play like you are expected to play. Carry the team, show some balls and pride, and no more hiding behind every ones coattails. Each has shown signs of brilliance so we know they can do it, but only about one game in four will not cut it. If we are to make the playoffs this year, these three have to pull their weight and then some.
Rt knows better then to punish those 3 and watch them get hemmed in their own zone every shift. This would be a disaster, we'd be back to worst GAA in no time.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Rt knows better then to punish those 3 and watch them get hemmed in their own zone every shift. This would be a disaster, we'd be back to worst GAA in no time.
I'm not saying permanently. Maybe the fear of getting destroyed will make them play like they can. Overall, all three players are not consistent and playing way below their expectations. I know it will not happen, but they all need a kick in the a--.

Canis Latrans

Jan 19, 2015
Australia
I wonder if the lack of transition from defence to offence is due to Goligoski being out most of the game. Other than OEL I don’t see the other defensemen doing as well on that front and OEL can’t play the whole game.

KConn seems best at jumping up on the play. He doesn’t create a ton on his own, and while he has a good shot, he’s at best a complimentary piece on the offense and a liability on defense. It’s not just him, but a team wide issue where no one will knock down opponents in front of the goal when there is a rebound. Still I don’t think his defensive deficiencies make up for his offensive contribution.

Kuemper does give up more rebounds and I wonder if he had such solid numbers with the Kings is because they did a much better job both knocking down opponents in front of the net during rebounds or muscling them off the puck for clears. Additionally, Kuemper might break down more easily with this increased workload. When Raanta is back Kuemper’s numbers may improve just because he comes in fresh once every two weeks.

Reactions: Name Nameless

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
I would say most goals are earned not gifted, but if you feel the other way that is fine, it's your opinion. I agree with you that our PK should be strong if there are no injuries.
I don't feel that way. It just can be argued that way if you so choose. Like you saying the Flyers gifted us two SH goals. Our PK is great and the strength of our team. Those shorties will slow down but we'll take them when we can. Hockey goes in cycles. Sometimes the Power play is saving you and sometimes it's not. I'd like to see us get that going for sure.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad