Goal-Day Thread Game 14: Arizona Coyotes @ Philadelphia Gritties | 11/8/2018 5:00 p.m. MST | FS-A Plus

SR

Mar 31, 2008
Arizona
Take the point, I guess. Long and the short of it is good teams step on the necks going into the third up by two, plain and simple.

This is exactly what we’ve done in the past. Shit needs to change.

Reactions: Coyotedroppings

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
This loss reeks of inexperience and just lack of quality. Hate to use the term, but certainly too many passengers. Nick's and Keller worst game by far. Kconn is terrible and has been for games. He's a 7th d-fender and has always been, but ever since he scored all those goals last season he is now somehow top 6. He's not. Strome, back to reality. Perls needs to go but panik goes first. Chayka has built a real nice team but there are glaring weak spots that need to be cut out. Having said that, grabs has been outstanding. What an incredible signing all-around.
Man, we lost a game not the seventh game of the SCF's. Of course we have weak spots, but what bothers me is when there is lack of effort and that was evident in the third period. When we have effort we are a team contending for a playoff spot, when we don't we are contending for bottom 5.

Reactions: mrjiggyfly

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I mean I don’t HATE the trade. Duke wasn’t going to resign here anyways so something had to be done.

I’m just upset it wasn’t a draft pick or a signed copy of NHL 18 at the time.

Luckily for us, I do like how the team is shaping up.

Grabner, Richie and Hino are not a fourth line. We are getting the good Richie. This Richie is easily third line material. At this point we need to fill out a fourth line.

I’d be fine trading Strome for Sprong, and maybe sending Archibald or KConn for a true 4th line center who happens to be right handed. If we could offload Panik to a team looking for depth I’d be pretty happy. Detroit has an awful defense, maybe we can trade KConn and Archibald for Glendenning.

As stated earlier, I do like Galchenyuk and Keller but I think Keller is trying to hard to force Chucky and this is causing notable turnovers in the offensive zone when they get in.

Keller - Stepan - Fischer
Perlini - Galchenyuk - Sprong
Grabner - Richie - Hino
Crouse - Glendenning - Cousins

Idk maybe. Maybe not.

I think this is actually a pretty great idea.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
If OEL doesn't YOLO it up the middle of the ice to a hungry team down 1 looking to go off the rush after the Coyotes had actually established zone time for the first time in several minutes we're not even talking about this as a loss.
Correct, but this is not the time to make excuses. Going into the third period up by two goals and we lose. Not acceptable. My biggest problem with this loss is that it gives RT an excuse to play Archibald next game.

RABBIT

Years of my life w you f*cks only to get relocated
I say we lost a point. Up by two goals going into the third you should always win.

I say we stole it by going down 2-0 early in the first and AGAIN, relying on our PK mixed with lucky bounces to claw back in it. I was ready to accept the loss midway through the 1st. I wish Tocchet had the balls to fire Maclean,

At this point I like Lyubushkin better than Connauton.

Connauton is showing his true colors, showing why he has been waiver fodder over his career and bounced around to multiple different teams. He's slow, sluggish, and takes absolutely stupid penalties. The only thing that saved him from being a FA was his late season offensive 'heroics' last year, which I only attribute to him being a forward in the past. He fooled us, and I'm pissed. I'm sure he's a great guy, but go be a great guy in the corner.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I'm happy with the point, tbh. (First time I've ever used "tbh" as well, tbh :laugh:) We could have one this game, sure, except that we only had 5 defensemen and had a backup goalie who plays anything but a technical game at goalie. Backup goalies are like back up quarterbacks. Favorites of all as long as they don't play.

I'll be happy to take a point in another game or two on this "back up goalie roadtrip. "
If you would have asked me before the game if I would be happy with one point I would have said yes, but we were up by two going into the third and we blew it, big time. Not getting 2 pts. is disappointing to say the least, but we can't cry over spilled milk. Onward and hopefully upward.

Reactions: Fyreman and RABBIT

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
I don't think we win a game this road trip unless Raanta comes back against Detroit.

Philly got three goals the first game off wacky deflections and at least three last night from a deflection off Stepan and a Keystone Kops drill in front of him.

Kuemper could clean some things up a little but goaltending wasn’t why we lost both games.

Reactions: Imaravencawcaw

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Unacceptable game. Effort was there but like last year team is not composed enough to hold a lead. They are so soft. When they stop being aggressive and possessing they get run over.
Lets face it OEL is a turnover machine who gets caught up the ice far too often. For a guy with his pedigree he should be closer to Nick Lidstrom in an all around game.
It's these types of games we will look back on and see why the team is not a playoff team.
They are progressing but the correct pieces are not in place.

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Cousins and Panik are horrible. They are such glaring weaknesses on this team. I also have to add I have never seen Keller play like such a chicken ****. He was scared to be anywhere near the puck.
Where do we get so much "cousins is horrible crap". He's come a long way and is an agitator with skill. We need more guys like this. We have too many of the same type of soft skilled forwards.

CNYCrunchfan1

Oct 10, 2017
Man, we lost a game not the seventh game of the SCF's. Of course we have weak spots, but what bothers me is when there is lack of effort and that was evident in the third period. When we have effort we are a team contending for a playoff spot, when we don't we are contending for bottom 5.

I don't think it was lack of effort, it seemed like they were gassed. The conditioning isnt where it should be by now. Short one dman didnt help either. I blame goli for not being honest about how bad he was.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Unacceptable game. Effort was there but like last year team is not composed enough to hold a lead. They are so soft. When they stop being aggressive and possessing they get run over.
Lets face it OEL is a turnover machine who gets caught up the ice far too often. For a guy with his pedigree he should be closer to Nick Lidstrom in an all around game.
It's these types of games we will look back on and see why the team is not a playoff team.
They are progressing but the correct pieces are not in place.
Unacceptable game yes, but I sure didn't see the effort after we got ahead by two goals, and let's be honest, we were gifted two SH 'ed goals. OEL played a very good game just that one mistake cost us, but s--- happens and we were still up by one goal. OEL had two points and played 27 minutes. OEL is the least of our worries. I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to know we are missing a few pieces, as this team is no where near a SC contender, and I don't think anyone thought that. We are two points out of a wild card playoff position, so to declare we are not a playoff team at this time is a bit premature.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
Where do we get so much "cousins is horrible crap". He's come a long way and is an agitator with skill. We need more guys like this. We have too many of the same type of soft skilled forwards.
I like the way Cousins plays the game, but he is a fourth liner on a good team. What we need is scoring, not more Cousins. I would like to see a bit more top six grit not bottom six.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
I don't think it was lack of effort, it seemed like they were gassed. The conditioning isnt where it should be by now. Short one dman didnt help either. I blame goli for not being honest about how bad he was.

I think our conditioning is fine. Let's give the Flyers some credit here. They came in waves and never gave up, and they have a lot of veteran talent on their team. Like Richardson said, "we were brain dead". We played a stupid third period. Did RT call a time out in the third? Hope this was a good learning experience for the players and head coach.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
I like the way Cousins plays the game, but he is a fourth liner on a good team. What we need is scoring, not more Cousins. I would like to see a bit more top six grit not bottom six.
Our team is very soft, Cousins is really the only guy with some sandpaper to his game (maybe Lybush does...but yet to really see it). Those type of guys are needed. Putting him in the top 6 was a reward for how hard and consistently he's playing and maybe a message for those who haven't.

Reactions: azcanuck

Neighborhood Coyote

Sep 14, 2017
Kuemper's style is to challenge the puck, from what I've seen. He comes out towards the shooters and cuts the angles down. The upside is he doesn't get beat as easily off the first shot (at least in theory)... the downside is that he's vulnerable to rebound goals and deflections/tip ins AND over-committing. Knowing that's his style... what he gives is what you get. Up to the team to make sure they do a good job clearing the rebounds and not allowing the second chances. He wasn't fantastic in this game but not a lot of players were. Still sloppy in general to me.

I was only able to watch until the 2nd period was over so I didn't see the downfall. But, I do agree this team isn't very... gritty (for lack of a better word). They need more push back when teams come at them... at LEAST. I'd be happy with that at a minimum... not feeling like the other team is just walking all over them physically.

From what I've seen too.. Kconn needs to sit again. OT goal he just got owned by his man. Sure, the puck was turned over, but at that point KConn had his guy but just... failed badly at defending him. He was on the ice for at least a couple of goals, too if I'm not mistaken. I don't think it was coincidental.

Last point, but also one of the most infuriating.. WHY does Goligoski start in this game?! That's just awful player management. Idk who was in charge of that call but holy smokes let's get it together. Obviously he wasn't good to go and it put the team in a bind right off the bat. Ridiculous job.

Name Nameless

Don't go more than 10 seconds back on challenges
Apr 12, 2017
Didn't watch this game live, as I was asleep... a start at 1AM is the worst. Watched it now, unspoiled. It was another weird one. The shorties were the most fun I've had in a while. Not so harsh on OEL for the give-away making it 4 - 4 there... playing with only 5 defencemen must have made him more tired than he were aware of. I was a bit annoyed they didn't try to stall instead of scoring though, with so little time before they pulled the goalie... but might have been wrong on that one anyways.

Now, heading to the other threads to find out what's wrong with Raanta? Hoping it's not serious.. :help:

Kuemper is a back-up goalie. Let's deal with it. And at least, another point. It's something.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
What I'm seeing is a team still under a learning curve, in many ways. I am convincing myself that RT is attempting to implement a strong fore check as he deems necessary, as well as trying to have the boys revert to clogging the neutral zone, when called upon to do so. They struggle with the latter more than the former, but if/when perfected the legs will be better off - it's a long haul.

Reactions: Jakey53

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Our team is very soft, Cousins is really the only guy with some sandpaper to his game (maybe Lybush does...but yet to really see it). Those type of guys are needed. Putting him in the top 6 was a reward for how hard and consistently he's playing and maybe a message for those who haven't.
exactly . He's not a top 6 forward but on this team it's wise to move him up once in a while. You need a combination of grit and skill to win. And you need skilled top 6 players who have that. Domi was the only one who came close last year. It's really hurting this team. Our top forwards are very soft.

Reactions: AZviaNJ

azcanuck

Jan 14, 2014
chandler az
Unacceptable game yes, but I sure didn't see the effort after we got ahead by two goals, and let's be honest, we were gifted two SH 'ed goals. OEL played a very good game just that one mistake cost us, but s--- happens and we were still up by one goal. OEL had two points and played 27 minutes. OEL is the least of our worries. I don't think you have to be a rocket scientist to know we are missing a few pieces, as this team is no where near a SC contender, and I don't think anyone thought that. We are two points out of a wild card playoff position, so to declare we are not a playoff team at this time is a bit premature.
We were not gifted two SH goals. It's part of the strength of our team. It's pretty amazing the overall penalty kill. We have the number one unit in the NHL and we have more SH goals then 17 other teams have power play goals.
OEL is a very good player but he's caught up in the play far too often flailing away trying to come back. Enough with the excuses for the guy. He's our captain and best player. He needs to step up.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
exactly . He's not a top 6 forward but on this team it's wise to move him up once in a while. You need a combination of grit and skill to win. And you need skilled top 6 players who have that. Domi was the only one who came close last year. It's really hurting this team. Our top forwards are very soft.
Cousins has grit, but has a tough time when playing over his pay grade. Like you said, once in awhile, but doing that shows our lack of depth. What really bothers me is players like Strome, Perlini, Fischer and to a lesser extent Crouse play real good hockey then become invisible. They have to get to that next level of consistency for this team to improve. We all know what Stepan, Richardson etc. bring to this team. This team has to be a playoff team this year and anything else in unacceptable.

Coyotedroppings

Jul 16, 2017
OEL is a very good player but he's caught up in the play far too often flailing away trying to come back. Enough with the excuses for the guy. He's our captain and best player. He needs to step up.
Guy's a total stud on the ice. You obviously have enough knowledge that you see this, he makes one on one defensive plays that I marvel at, nearly every game.
RT said it would look like this and he's taking the chances as prescribed imo. I'ts just like Nick H pressuring last night on the first Flyer goal, he wouldn't be doing that unless it's being asked of him.

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011
We were not gifted two SH goals. It's part of the strength of our team. It's pretty amazing the overall penalty kill. We have the number one unit in the NHL and we have more SH goals then 17 other teams have power play goals.
We were gifted two SH goals. PK is a strength of this team at the moment, but if you think this will continue you are crazy. If and when the tide turns, and teams start to score on their PP we could be in for a bit of a rough time. You can think what you want of OEL and I'm not making excuses for him because there is no need. We only had 5 D last night and I think did a stellar job considering. The forwards are the ones that went OWOL.

RemoAZ

Let it burn
Mar 30, 2010
Glendale, Arizona
We were gifted two SH goals. PK is a strength of this team at the moment, but if you think this will continue you are crazy. If and when the tide turns, and teams start to score on their PP we could be in for a bit of a rough time. You can think what you want of OEL and I'm not making excuses for him because there is no need. We only had 5 D last night and I think did a stellar job considering. The forwards are the ones that went OWOL.

I think that is partly the coaches fault for trying to hang on. He did the same thing against Carolina. We were lucky to win that one.

Bonsai Tree

Turning a new leaf
Feb 2, 2014
Take the point, I guess. Long and the short of it is good teams step on the necks going into the third up by two, plain and simple.

This is exactly what we’ve done in the past. **** needs to change.
They aren't there yet. Let's not have irrational expectations after last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->