Pre-Game Talk: Game 14 - 11/4 7:07 PM - March of the PENGUINS - NESN, NHLN, SN (Except Alberta), TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2019-11-3_16-51-45.png

upload_2019-11-3_16-52-10.png

upload_2019-11-3_16-52-40.png

giphy.gif

Going into their game against the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday at TD Garden, the Boston Bruins have won five games in a row and have used a nine-game point streak (7-0-2) to soar to the top of the Atlantic Division.

"We are playing well as a team and that always helps, and that's a huge pickup," Boston right wing David Pastrnak said. "We're all doing well and playing with a lot of confidence, so obviously that helps. But yeah, we're winning, and that's the major thing."

Pastrnak has an 11-game point streak (13 goals, 27 points), second on the team to linemate Brad Marchand's 12-game point streak (eight goals, 23 points). All of Pastrnak's points have come during his streak, and he leads the NHL in points and is tied for the lead in goals.

Pastrnak had a goal and two assists, and Marchand a goal and an assist Saturday when Boston's strong third period turned a 2-2 tie after two periods into a 5-2 win over Ottawa.

"He is on another level right now," Marchand said of Pastrnak. "His ability to make plays. ... He's just seeing things that other guys just could never see."

Bruins forward David Backes left Saturday's game because of an upper-body injury after a nasty collision that sent Ottawa's Scott Sabourin off the ice on a stretcher and to the hospital. The Boston Herald reported that Backes is doubtful to play on Monday.

Boston has a plus-19 goal differential, tied for best in the NHL, something that is traced not only to production from Pastrnak, Marchand and others, but also the goaltending of Tuukka Rask, who is 7-0-1 and leads the league with a 1.49 goals-against average and .949 save percentage.

The Penguins, meanwhile, are 2-0-1 in their past three games, and have a new injury after finally playing one game with a full roster. They had missed at least one player -- and at times several, mostly forwards -- because of injury before center Evgeni Malkin's return Saturday in a 2-1 overtime loss to Edmonton, but now winger Patric Hornqvist is out because of a lower-body injury.

Malkin, who had missed 11 games, led his team with six shots, but Oilers goaltender Mike Smith was stifling, making 51 saves.

"He played well," Pittsburgh defenseman Justin Schultz said of Malkin. "You can obviously see the impact that he has on our team when he's in our lineup. We're certainly a much more difficult team to play against. We're harder from a matchup standpoint. For his first game back, after missing a fair amount of time, he had a pretty good game."

The Penguins enter the game at Boston without a power-play goal in eight straight games, an 0-for-19 drought, but they aren't panicking. Not only do they have Malkin back, but they also like the way they are moving the puck and getting scoring chances.

"The only thing that's missing right now is finish," Pittsburgh coach Mike Sullivan said. "If we weren't generating scoring chances or we didn't have (offensive) zone time or we didn't have a high success rate on the zone entries or we were losing faceoffs or things of that sort, then we could look at the structure and the process and the execution.

"As I've said to our players, we have to stay with it. We've got to hang in there. We can't get discouraged. We've just got to get more determined."

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
3 in 4. Depth will be key if we are to get points in these next two.

A great finish in the Ottawa game. Hoping the depth scoring of lines 2 & 3 keep rolling.

Time to get this well-oiled machine running on all pistons and not just the front pair.

13Hockey

Go Bruins
Jul 20, 2006
Boston
#1 vs #3 in the nhl in terms of Goal Differential

should be a good game..and a good test

It would be big to get 2 points vs the pens
Because Tuesday will be very tough

3rd in 4nights against a 2 day rested Montreal team who’s been waiting at home

Go Bs

Reactions: bbfan419

AngryMilkcrates

End of an Era
Jun 4, 2016
Sidney Crosby
5G 13A 17Pts +5 20:58 TOI, 57.5 %CF, 62.5 oZS% 14GP

Patrice Bergeron
6G 8A 14Pts +8 18:53 TOI, 58.9 %CF, 64.3 oZS% 13GP

UConn126

Bass Player.
Sponsor
Jun 12, 2010
Somerville, MA
I don't know what to hate most about this franchise.... the Samuelsson hit on Neely... the Cooke hit on Savard.... the fact they stole our colors (twice!)....

I hate the Penguins as much as I hate the Habs. Gonna be a very hateful back to back for this viewer, and I assume many more on here. I hope for two scorched earth victories for our boys in black and gold.

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
I don't know what to hate most about this franchise.... the Samuelsson hit on Neely... the Cooke hit on Savard.... the fact they stole our colors (twice!)....

I hate the Penguins as much as I hate the Habs. Gonna be a very hateful back to back for this viewer, and I assume many more on here. I hope for two scorched earth victories for our boys in black and gold.
When they tried to defend cooke. They were so worried about head hits but they were paying the very worst offended ever. Pissed me off so much. I really hated cooke.

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
This is going to be a really tough back-to-back. The Penguins are playing some decent hockey with a lot of guys chipping in and without many weaknesses and Montreal are inconsistent, but on their good nights they're buzzing and creating lots of chances.

Both of these teams had the better of the Bruins last season, so it's time to start correcting the ledger. But it's tough getting good opponents two nights in a row, especially when the second game is on the road, so while full points is always the goal I'll be happy with 3.

Bergeron v Crosby is as good as it gets for center battles - inherent biases aside, I'd be curious for thoughts on which one people think has had the better of their clashes over the years?

Reactions: BMC and bbfan419

bbfan419

Jul 3, 2006
Moncton NB
#1 vs #3 in the nhl in terms of Goal Differential

should be a good game..and a good test

It would be big to get 2 points vs the pens
Because Tuesday will be very tough

3rd in 4nights against a 2 day rested Montreal team who’s been waiting at home

Go Bs
Montreal always seems to get the breaks with the schedule.

Reactions: BMC
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad