Post-Game Talk: Game 13: Penalty Kill Bill | Blackhawks vs. Stars | 11/6/16 6 p.m. (CSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
This is really the only issue with the PP at the moment. The players need to find ways to get into the zone better, as they have failed quite often lately at doing so.

Once they get set up in the zone, they fair pretty well as long as they are shooting as much as they can. When they start to get too pretty, that's when they pass up good opportunities.

not being able to see then, i understand your point, not playing the system that make them good, but a fancier system of play which they are not.

nice one.

Esq

in terrorem
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2009
Village in the City
I've been very encouraged by the play of Hawks rookies. Motte, Schmaltz, Forsling, Kempny, Hartman all look like they belong. At this point, I'm not all that concerned about the forward depth.

+1

This is a huge difference from past years.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
In my mind, this season was always going to be about coaching and goaltending. Goaltending has been real good and though the ST's have been suspect, so far Q has shown a remarkable amount of patience with the influx of youth.

Doesn't have a choice. Not a Q hater, but not going to credit him for this.

This team has excellent potential. Will they reach it? Who knows. But am enjoying the ride thus far.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
This is really the only issue with the PP at the moment. The players need to find ways to get into the zone better, as they have failed quite often lately at doing so.

Once they get set up in the zone, they fair pretty well as long as they are shooting as much as they can. When they start to get too pretty, that's when they pass up good opportunities.

The PP could be lethal. Should be lethal. Next move should be takng Keith off of it, putting Schmaltz on. Side benefit: lighten Keith's load.

sketch22

Jul 18, 2011

By far my biggest gripe as well. The problem to me seems to be timing/design of the entries. The players don't seem to be able to, aren't being told to, or don't practice it enough to time the play so that they have speed going into the offensive zone.

It seems like the entire zone entry system is based around the drop pass and/or one forward just carrying the puck in while the rest of the team is just standing around on the blue line waiting.

So even when that player is able to find a lane to carry the puck into the zone it takes an extra couple of seconds for the rest of the team to catch up. When the other team is able to deny them a lane they are forced to make a pass to a stationary player who can't take advantage of the open ice in front of him because by the time he gets moving the other team is able to react and contain him or dump the puck in and give up possession because the other players on the team don't have any speed going into the zone so it is an easy clear for the PK.

They need to get better moving as a unit, getting to, and gaining the line as a unit. Right now there is just far too much dependence on one player doing most of the work while the rest of the team just waits and reacts.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
By far my biggest gripe as well. The problem to me seems to be timing/design of the entries. The players don't seem to be able to, aren't being told to, or don't practice it enough to time the play so that they have speed going into the offensive zone.

It seems like the entire zone entry system is based around the drop pass and/or one forward just carrying the puck in while the rest of the team is just standing around on the blue line waiting.

So even when that player is able to find a lane to carry the puck into the zone it takes an extra couple of seconds for the rest of the team to catch up. When the other team is able to deny them a lane they are forced to make a pass to a stationary player who can't take advantage of the open ice in front of him because by the time he gets moving the other team is able to react and contain him or dump the puck in and give up possession because the other players on the team don't have any speed going into the zone so it is an easy clear for the PK.

They need to get better moving as a unit, getting to, and gaining the line as a unit. Right now there is just far too much dependence on one player doing most of the work while the rest of the team just waits and reacts.

That's my gripe as well. Why do opposing PPs just walk into our zone with NO problems while we're always struggling to get into their zone on our power play? Once we set up, our power play is pretty good. But it seems like the only way we get into an opponent's zone and keep possession is when Panarin or Kane race across the blue line with speed. This needs to change.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Gotta love that Hawks are tied for third overall despite not playing their best hockey and with all these rookies.

In my mind, this season was always going to be about coaching and goaltending. Goaltending has been real good and though the ST's have been suspect, so far Q has shown a remarkable amount of patience with the influx of youth.

Things are far from perfect in Chicago at the moment but I reckon this team will just get better as the season goes on. :handclap:

Maybe we are seeing Q evolve as a coach. He has shown more patience this year then all years combined. Maybe he sees the light.

BTW - How GD good did Schmaltz look with Kane and Toews? Not sure if anyone else noticed the play where he out skated Klingberg down the is and he looked rather effortless doing it. Long strider can be fun to watch.

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Maybe we are seeing Q evolve as a coach. He has shown more patience this year then all years combined. Maybe he sees the light.

BTW - How GD good did Schmaltz look with Kane and Toews? Not sure if anyone else noticed the play where he out skated Klingberg down the is and he looked rather effortless doing it. Long strider can be fun to watch.

Lord knows how many on this board begged Q try putting Schmaltz with Toews. Toews needs a player who can hold the puck like Hossa. It gives him time to work his great intangibles off the puck (get to the slot where he's most effective) AND creates proper spacing so he can drive to the net.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Lord knows how many on this board begged Q try putting Schmaltz with Toews. Toews needs a player who can hold the puck like Hossa. It gives him time to work his great intangibles off the puck (get to the slot where he's most effective) AND creates proper spacing so he can drive to the net.

I was one of them.

People have underrated Schmaltz for a long time on this board. I loved the pick when it happened and love it now. People clamored for Fabbri because he was in the NHL first but from what I have seen from Fabbri this year compared to Schmatlz it very much appears that the right pick was made. People was instant gratification and unless you are picking top 10 you typically won't get it. Schmaltz was at a program that has a strong knack for developing solid NHL players (Oshie, Toews, Parise, Zajac, etc).

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I was one of them.

People have underrated Schmaltz for a long time on this board. I loved the pick when it happened and love it now. People clamored for Fabbri because he was in the NHL first but from what I have seen from Fabbri this year compared to Schmatlz it very much appears that the right pick was made. People was instant gratification and unless you are picking top 10 you typically won't get it. Schmaltz was at a program that has a strong knack for developing solid NHL players (Oshie, Toews, Parise, Zajac, etc).

i will give alot of kudos, i was at a lost of the talent of motte, schm and even panik and where they fit in the new hawks line-up.

RememberTheRoar

“I’m not as worried about the 5-on-5 scoring.”
Oct 21, 2015
That's me in the corner
I was one of them.

If Schmaltz works out there, that means only 1 top-6 forward (Panarin) needs to be signed any time soon.

Schmaltz would be the next contract up, and that wouldn't be until after the 18-19 season.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I was one of them.

+1

You've been steadfast on Schmaltz, no doubt. FWIW, I'm on the bandwagon too. Really think he's scratching the surface. Will blossom with seasoning and playing with more skilled players.

And the notion that he'd benefit from being sent to Rockford: no bueno.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
i will give alot of kudos, i was at a lost of the talent of motte, schm and even panik and where they fit in the new hawks line-up.

I get the doubts that people had on Motte and Panik but the Schamltz doubts absolutely puzzled me. I knew about Motte from seeing quite a few Michigan games and friends who are still active in the area. He has turned out exactly how I thought he would so far. (Motte has basically replaced Shaw in every thing but the pest part, Hartman has replaced this).

Panik has exceed expectations.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I get the doubts that people had on Motte and Panik but the Schamltz doubts absolutely puzzled me. I knew about Motte from seeing quite a few Michigan games and friends who are still active in the area. He has turned out exactly how I thought he would so far.

for my lowly excuse, i have really high expectation for all hawks, players and prospects. i am such a homer.

so my sense of reality really sucks big time.... i know my faults.

that is way i am always double checking with posters with the know how.

:laugh:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
I get the doubts that people had on Motte and Panik but the Schamltz doubts absolutely puzzled me. I knew about Motte from seeing quite a few Michigan games and friends who are still active in the area. He has turned out exactly how I thought he would so far. (Motte has basically replaced Shaw in every thing but the pest part, Hartman has replaced this).

Motte is Sergei Krivokrasov with better finishing skills (or at least it appears he has better touch and instincts around the net).

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
For those complaining about Schmaltz's speed, that sprint down the boards to win the puck and prevent an icing should put those fears to rest.

The D is the big difference this year. So much better at moving the puck with Campbell and Forsling added to the mix. Forsling looks great. So heady with the puck, and doesn't pinch when it's unwarranted.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The PP could be lethal. Should be lethal. Next move should be takng Keith off of it, putting Schmaltz on. Side benefit: lighten Keith's load.

So can a lot of PP's in the league. We aren't the only team with a ton of talent that has trouble with PP's.

The Capitals have one of the worst, with guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlsson.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
So can a lot of PP's in the league. We aren't the only team with a ton of talent that has trouble with PP's.

The Capitals have one of the worst, with guys like Ovechkin, Backstrom, Kuznetsov, Carlsson.

Yeah, for sure. That said, don't give a hoot about other teams. Our PP can and should improve.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Because it's a legitimate argument. A lot of talent doesn't always equal greatness.

... or is it an excuse? A so and so team struggles in a certain aspect of the game, hence it's okay if Hawks do? Sounds more like hogwash from a yes man to me.

According to some here, the coaches set the roster, open the doors for line changes and tell the players to go out and have fun.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
... or is it an excuse? A so and so team struggles in a certain aspect of the game, hence it's okay if Hawks do? Sounds more like hogwash from a yes man to me.

According to some here, the coaches set the roster, open the doors for line changes and tell the players to go out and have fun.

When did I say it's Ok to do so? I just stated that just because a team is really talented doesn't automatically mean that they will do well in certain aspects of the game. That's the way hockey goes. Were Scotty Bowmans loaded teams always #1 on the PP and PK?

According to you, anything the players do wrong is because of the coach, and anything they do right is in spite of the coach. You take any and every opportunity to blame Q for anything and everything. You hate Q, we get it. You would make a better NHL coach I'm sure. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad