Post-Game Talk: Game 13: Penalty Kill Bill | Blackhawks vs. Stars | 11/6/16 6 p.m. (CSN)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
It's not like the Rangers are getting lucky. They are +26 in goal differential. The Hawks are 2nd at +14. I don't know how the Rangers will do in the playoffs, but they are really good this year.

The Hawks goal diff has been submarined by a historically bad PK to start the season and Q's sputtering PP.

The Blackhawks currently hold the best 5v5 goal differential in the league tho.

NYR is great too, theyre 4th.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
So far there's not much to complain about this team other than the dreadful PK in the early going. Maybe other than the Rags, Hawks look as good as any team out there.

Yep. And there's a lot of room for improvement.

I've been very encouraged by the play of Hawks rookies. Motte, Schmaltz, Forsling, Kempny, Hartman all look like they belong. At this point, I'm not all that concerned about the forward depth.

Spot on.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
The Hawks goal diff has been submarined by a historically bad PK to start the season and Q's sputtering PP.

The Blackhawks currently hold the best 5v5 goal differential in the league tho.

NYR is great too, theyre 4th.

a 10th overall PP is sputtering? Ok.
It's not the strongest it could be, but hardly sputtering.

migi

Feb 25, 2015
a 10th overall PP is sputtering? Ok.
It's not the strongest it could be, but hardly sputtering.

It is kind of funny that the PP looks awful most of the time, but they still score because they have so much skill in Panarin, Kane, Anisimov etc.

They can improve it, for example zone entries are awful. There is a little bit more movement now versus first 5 game of the season, but I still think they don't move enough and they are not as dangerous as they could be.

Hardly sputtering, what ever that means, though. :nod:

Would love to see more Schmaltz in PP because his passing is superior against Panik. Panik though is good in front of the net so maybe Campbell is the odd man out or even Keith? Forsling needs to be in there.

Panarin, Anisimov, Kane, Schmaltz/Forsling, Seabrook

Toews, Hossa, Panik, Schmaltz/Forsling, Campbell/Keith

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
Panarin's skating was noticeably explosive last night.

Schmaltz earning some Q trust: should pay big dividends down the road.

Darling: bravo.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
It is kind of funny that the PP looks awful most of the time, but they still score because they have so much skill in Panarin, Kane, Anisimov etc.

They can improve it, for example zone entries are awful. There is a little bit more movement now versus first 5 game of the season, but I still think they don't move enough and they are not as dangerous as they could be.

This pretty much sums up it up and it has been going on for years with Q as coach. Hawks should consistently be in the top 5 on the PP but they refuse to play "in the dirty areas" when the going gets tough and way too often play on the perimeter looking for the perfect goal.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
My narratives are truths , His are falsehoods ;)

Totally different :nod:

Uh huh, especially the fact that the leading scorer in the NHL pretty much sucks as you point out umpteen times in most game threads and Darling is ho hum as a backup, Crawford can do nothing wrong and Rozy is a solid dman no matter how poorly he plays or how much he is overplayed by the great Q.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016

Would love to see more Schmaltz in PP because his passing is superior against Panik. Panik though is good in front of the net so maybe Campbell is the odd man out or even Keith? Forsling needs to be in there.

Panarin, Anisimov, Kane, Schmaltz/Forsling, Seabrook

Toews, Hossa, Panik, Schmaltz/Forsling, Campbell/Keith

what i am ecstatic about is the amount of d-man the team has to rely on. the way Q has said he was going to rotate them in games is even better. that is where i am stoke about.

bwana63

carter blanche
Jul 11, 2014
Chi western burbs
I have nothing against Stan and usually defend most of his moves.
I am still pissed about trading Johns.

Nil knew Stanley absolutely had to move Sharp. Consequently, he held his feet to the fire. Sucks, but that's life when you're crammed over the ceiling with a hard cap.

Like Johns, but like Forsling's potential better.

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
I have nothing against Stan and usually defend most of his moves.
I am still pissed about trading Johns.

I understand the return for Johns was pretty bad - without even thinking we gave them Sharp too....
I understand that giving away Danault for Weise and Fleischman was pointless....

yet those aren't the guys you cry over all the time. Remember when we traded Paliotta with Saad? It was the end of the world to some and now nobody will even remember that Name.

Johns is a good young D, but he is hardly a guy that replaces Seabrook or Hjalmarsson or even the other 3 we have. I would welcome him back for sure, but if it's not Happening, I'm fine with it too.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Nil knew Stanley absolutely had to move Sharp. Consequently, he held his feet to the fire. Sucks, but that's life when you're crammed over the ceiling with a hard cap.

Like Johns, but like Forsling's potential better.

that for me is the silver lining.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
I understand the return for Johns was pretty bad - without even thinking we gave them Sharp too....
I understand that giving away Danault for Weise and Fleischman was pointless....

yet those aren't the guys you cry over all the time. Remember when we traded Paliotta with Saad? It was the end of the world to some and now nobody will even remember that Name.

Johns is a good young D, but he is hardly a guy that replaces Seabrook or Hjalmarsson or even the other 3 we have. I would welcome him back for sure, but if it's not Happening, I'm fine with it too.

ohhhhh that still pisses me off. esp with the moves that didn't happen. those move that didn't happen was the catalyst to moving saad and other later moves.

CourtneyDagger50

Resident Pig Expert
Jan 11, 2014
Rockford
I understand the Johns trade. I just don't like it.
Just pointing out that it isn't only the people who are anti-Stan that like Johns.

BobbyJet

The accountability era?
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Gotta love that Hawks are tied for third overall despite not playing their best hockey and with all these rookies.

In my mind, this season was always going to be about coaching and goaltending. Goaltending has been real good and though the ST's have been suspect, so far Q has shown a remarkable amount of patience with the influx of youth.

Things are far from perfect in Chicago at the moment but I reckon this team will just get better as the season goes on. :handclap:

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
Gotta love that Hawks are tied for third overall despite not playing their best hockey and with all these rookies.

In my mind, this season was always going to be about coaching and goaltending. Goaltending has been real good and though the ST's have been suspect, so far Q has shown a remarkable amount of patience with the influx of youth.

Things are far from perfect in Chicago at the moment but I reckon this team will just get better as the season goes on. :handclap:

most excellent :yo:

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago

Not bad for a team that many outside of Chicago wrote off as "dying" and many guessed wouldn't even make the playoffs. :laugh:

I love out-of-town stupid. Then again, there are many Hawks fans who wrote this team off coming into the season. Many of them probably thought the same after 2010, too. No one ever wants to believe or take into account the fact that there are players coming up all the time who fill holes and develop and "take the torch" from others who have left. Plus, you know, a true and tested championship core. But, what do I know?

LordKOTL

Abuse of Officials
Aug 15, 2014
Pacific NW
Can't we all agree that the 'hawks took the salad spoons, de-headed their rectums, and are playing like the 'hawks of old for now?

I mean really, over the past few games I can't find really anything to nitpick except *maybe* getting hemmed in the zone a bit too long for comfort, and even then it's nowhere near the end of the world.

Let's keep it rolling.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.

th

This is really the only issue with the PP at the moment. The players need to find ways to get into the zone better, as they have failed quite often lately at doing so.

Once they get set up in the zone, they fair pretty well as long as they are shooting as much as they can. When they start to get too pretty, that's when they pass up good opportunities.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad