PGT: Game 13: Canada 5 - Czech Republic 1

DangerDave

Mete's Shot
Feb 8, 2015
T.O
I really dislike the critique on Zadina in this thread. I wonder how you guys would react if you'd put him on the 1st line of team Canada. I think he would start producing big time. Due to a weird coaching decision he is stuck on the 2nd line (instead of playing with 18,16) with players on a level below his. None of this is their fault, its just the way it is on a team with almost no depth.
He's always struck me more as a complimentary player rather than one who drives the offense. Not a bad thing given the amount of skill he has but you're right, give him Necas and he'll play well.

McNurse

Sep 2, 2015
I get that...................................and my point still stands.

It doesnt really matter anymore anyway, we are done with you now and we won comfortably, thats all that really matters.
Your point doesn’t still stand at all, it’s GDT for both teams not just Canada, quit acting entitled

Czechboy

Easy schedules rule!
Apr 15, 2018
I really dislike the critique on Zadina in this thread. I wonder how you guys would react if you'd put him on the 1st line of team Canada. I think he would start producing big time. Due to a weird coaching decision he is stuck on the 2nd line (instead of playing with 18,16) with players on a level below his. None of this is their fault, its just the way it is on a team with almost no depth.

I better see him with Necas next game...

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Good game all around for the Canadians. Not withstanding the flack Bouchard gets, he wasn't as bad as some make him out to be. But he's gotta start producing offensively at some point cuz we are not playing him for his defense.

Great game by Frost/Suzuki, Enwhistle, Lafreniere and Veleno up front.

Reactions: DangerDave

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
wich was always my concern and trust me i have watched more zadina than ANY wings fan 100%. the guy can't produce on his own and even with his 200lbs he couldn't win 1v1 battle against kid in the Q.
he has a hell of a release tho, it's an NHL shot and a good one, but once again he's a complimentary player who will need chemistry with a good center. you need these players on your team but they are easier to counter. i'm not saying this because we didn't pick him you can read everything im saying in april.

Detroit's bad enough that he'll have Larkin and another Top 5 pick center to choose from. I'm not overly concerned.

But as I said above, I really want to see him have a summer dedicated to strength and conditioning. I think that'll improve him leaps and bounds.

Reactions: HOPE

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
The Czechs were so bad, dirty ****ers, should be suspended

I think there is no debate regarding the first part of your sentence, the Czech team was not exactly brilliant today.

The second part however tells more about you and your lack of understanding of today's game, than anything else.

Reactions: CycloneSweep

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Detroit's bad enough that he'll have Larkin and another Top 5 pick center to choose from. I'm not overly concerned.

But as I said above, I really want to see him have a summer dedicated to strength and conditioning. I think that'll improve him leaps and bounds.
i feel you, i just got bullshited and called all names when i was saying this after the draft with all the wings fan laughing at me saying we we're dumb to pass on him.

czechmate

Jan 1, 2016
He's always struck me more as a complimentary player rather than one who drives the offense. Not a bad thing given the amount of skill he has but you're right, give him Necas and he'll play well.

I couldn't agree more. Though he is able to show a couple of quality moves on occasion.

Reactions: DangerDave

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
Canada played a very mature game as I watched it. For the most part the kids showed pretty good situational awareness. I think some of the misplays on defense are due, as several have noted, to lack of familiarity and also to a change in the percentage of time and space in the d zone for what they are all used to. These players are used to transitioning the puck up ice with it on their stick. None of them spend that much time in their own zone defending against players on their level. They are starting to adjust and you will see them continue to improve as the tourney rolls along.

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
Good game all around for the Canadians. Not withstanding the flack Bouchard gets, he wasn't as bad as some make him out to be. But he's gotta start producing offensively at some point cuz we are not playing him for his defense.

Great game by Frost/Suzuki, Enwhistle, Lafreniere and Veleno up front.

Suzuki is unbelievable with the puck, but he's positioning without the puck needs ALOT of work, at least his flaws are things that can be teached, but he needs way better positioning without the puck and needs to be more intense.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Your point absolutely doesn't stand. Your point was dead wrong. I can't put it any more black and white then I already did. The fact you won the game easily doesn't change how wrong your point was.
thats your opinion, ive got mine, have a good day.

BigBadBoar

Dec 20, 2017
Pardubice
I thought he played uninspired hockey. Doesn't matter what line you are on - you have to play your heart out. He didn't do that.

Necas did.

Zadina looked frustrated. He is the kind of forward who is able to fly into the offensive zone and make things happen, but here he got no single pass which would allow him to enter the zone at full speed. He got passes into his skates, behind him, slow passes for which he had to wait or turn around. I was watching him and his frustration was apparent. I have no idea why the coaches don't combine him with Nečas. I really try to understand this decision, but it still seems to me to be a nonsense.

Reactions: czechcanadian

Jabba11

Hockey Lobby
Nov 28, 2009
hockeylobby.blogspot.com
Well deserved “C” for Maxime Comtois. Always create something when he’s on the ice.

That Lafrenière’s goal was insane and so sweet. Quick release was on point. Kid needs to build his confidence and will surprise.

Reactions: snipes

Wooren

no longer perennial 4th place losers
May 17, 2015
Prague
Necas was better in this game than Zadina. Always trying to drive the play.
Zadina had piss poor game and Necas might have been slightly better. Necas however sucked against Russia and Switzerland as well. He is the captain, should motivate his teammates and instead he looks annoyed as hell that he has to even be there, shows zero emotion. He probably thought he would be in the NHL by now and wouldn't have to worry about WJC at all.

Reactions: Swipes

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
i feel you, i just got bull****ed and called all names when i was saying this after the draft with all the wings fan laughing at me saying we we're dumb to pass on him.

FWIW if he becomes what he has the potential to be, I still think you were. :laugh:

When he rips that shot from the circle you almost feel like you're watching Ovy or Laine. He's got other things to work out though.

jj cale

Jan 5, 2016
Nova Scotia
Your point doesn’t still stand at all, it’s GDT for both teams not just Canada, quit acting entitled
I said it was a thread for both canada and the czechs, initially in the heat of the moment i said it was a Canadian thread but it was just in the heat of the moment and i corrected that.

Relax.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Canada played a very mature game as I watched it. For the most part the kids showed pretty good situational awareness. I think some of the misplays on defense are due, as several have noted, to lack of familiarity and also to a change in the percentage of time and space in the d zone for what they are all used to. These players are used to transitioning the puck up ice with it on their stick. None of them spend that much time in their own zone defending against players on their level. They are starting to adjust and you will see them continue to improve as the tourney rolls along.

I think we also have to give credit to the Czechs who created opportunities. We blame the D but in reality credit goes to the opposition. YOu can't expect the D to play perfect.

Reactions: Pouliot and My3Sons

HOPE

Goal Caufield!
Jun 30, 2011
Montreal
FWIW if he becomes what he has the potential to be, I still think you were. :laugh:

When he rips that shot from the circle you almost feel like you're watching Ovy or Laine. He's got other things to work out though.

lets agree to disagree i don't see anything special in Zadina.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
i feel you, i just got bull****ed and called all names when i was saying this after the draft with all the wings fan laughing at me saying we we're dumb to pass on him.
Zadina was injured coming into the tournament. There was a question on whether or not he'd even play. Doesn't excuse his overall play in this tournament, but this Czech team has been terrible pretty much all three games so far. The players look frustrated with the coaching decisions, too.

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
I think we also have to give credit to the Czechs who created opportunities. We blame the D but in reality credit goes to the opposition. YOu can't expect the D to play perfect.

Good point. Some folks hold the players to a very high standard and while many are very talented or they wouldn’t be here they are still just teenagers. It always amazes me how young they look in the still photos they use for each player. Brannstrom on SWE looks like Augustus Gloop after a Keto Diet to me. Jack HUGHES looks like a middle school kid. They are both really amazing players and they are children effectively.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Question for our Czech friends... If you were to ice a combined Czech/Slovak team, would you expect to medal in this tournament?

Ad

Upcoming events

• Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Gold Coast Suns @ Brisbane Lions
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $36,790.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Cagliari vs Lecce
    Cagliari vs Lecce
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $25.00