GDT: Game 13: Avs @ Flames | 7 PM MT | November 1, 2018 | Where There's Flames, There's Smoke

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Kamenev still makes rookie mistakes here and there with the puck, particularly on zone exits, but overall he really is finding his game at the NHL level. Hopefully that goal (I can't believe they gave him that much space to shoot) opens the floodgates, because he really does have more to offer than just two-way play.

I hate to say it, because usually this isn't true, but the refs did decide the game here. Pulling one of our top 4 D out on a bad call, a momentum swinging 5 minute power play that leads to a goal, plus an early whistle that disallows a goal in what would become a 1 goal game, I'm sorry, but despite the shot differential this would have been a different game if the refs hadn't been so bad.

Now, that being said, if the Flames had started Rittich or maybe pulled Smith, the reffing would have had nothing to do with the outcome. Smith was horrific, without those three soft goals this is a well-deserved blowout that no referee could have flipped in our favor.
You know this is a logical take on this subject during a heated time, so I absolutely agree with everything you said.

However, the Flame sympathizers on the main board are saying the same thing and even though I fully understand it, I cannot compromise with it. Again, every team in the league wins games they shouldn't and exposes team's mistakes all the time - no one is blaming the Jets for getting two soft ones against Rinne in Game 7 last year. Just because Avs got outplayed we shouldn't have been up 4-1? That's bull**** to a thousandfold (not saying you're mentioning that), even if everyone wants to blame it on weak goaltending the Avs were up 4-1 in the game and that's a fact. It's mother****ing Peters fault more for playing Smith over Rittich than anything the Avs did.

The refs got a call wrong which turned the tide since they not only scored a goal which came off the major, which should've never happened in the first place, they then scored another four where Cole would've probably played major minutes in. The Giordano goal is a perfect example of a play that if Cole was on the ice would've never lead to a goal. I don't blame Barrie for blocking a shot there, I much rather he not block one, lose the way we did, and not get any injuries to any core players than blocking a shot. Nevertheless, Cole and his game would be right in Giordano's face on the play and there is a good percentage he would've blocked it (compared to any other Avs player).

I am not trying to deter any blame from the Avs because they full-heartedly deserve a lot too including Bednar who should make some adjustments when Avs are on their heels like that. I am not arguing against the Flames even coming back, but at bare minimum the game would've went into OT and Avs had the potential to rebound when shortening their bench. It was a terribly officiated game like one Flames PP for the entire match until the final minute of action (bull****, bull****, and bull****). I am not saying I saw any dirty plays by them, but there were a couple holds, hooks, and interference calls right in front of the refs which were deem acceptable by them - most notably the one against Rantanen in the third.

And Bednar is a coward for not doing a postgame match dialogue, we know that Patrick Roy would've been fined after last nights atrociousness.

The score was 4-2. Calgary was coming on strong. Barberio got the puck behind the net and had all the time int he world to make a play. Instead he fired the puck up the boards right to a Calgary forward. Calgary ended up scoring and you could see the end was near.

Barberio has no buisness ever playing In the NHL. He offers nothing.

As for our forwards, usually the Mack line can carry this team but when they are off it shows how truly bad our depth is. Our entire line of Dano - Dries - Bourque also doesnt deserve to be in the league.
Absolutely yes, yes, and yes. He was a good warrior when we had zero puck-moving ability, but since we now have like four, he is completely irrelevant now. There is absolutely no reason that Pratt or Platt (whatever his name is) and Bednar should keep playing him over Nemeth. No reason whatsoever. This might be a potential hottake so I don't mind getting criticized for it, but I would put him on waivers after this roadtrip and recall either Alt or Lindholm.

Last edited:

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
It's a bit unfair to call out the top line and blame them for a loss when they've carried the team on their backs in almost every game so far but man, they were so bad last night. Credit to the Flames and Backlund's line because they were great but that line, especially MacKinnon, just made it really easy for them as well. They're allowed to have an off night though and hopefully they come out on fire tonight. I'm sure all of them will want to rebound but something tells me Landeskog in particular won't let that happen again.

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
If there’s anyone out there that still believes Calvert is a better player than Comeau, please show yourself. This team paid 2.8M for a slight Bourque improvement.

Right here!

The same type of frustration that some people are now showing towards Calvert after 13 games, they also showed towards Comeau at various times during his 3 year stay with the Avs. (especially Year 2) Please don't try and tell me ANY different because that's bullshit.

Comeau isn't lighting the world on fire for Dallas neither and he'll be 35 when it contract is up...if he makes it there.

Calvert was brought in to help on the PK and be a depth forward...not 'sub-in' on the 2nd line or on the PP. He hasn't really had a steady line to build chemistry with as of yet...maybe we should cut him a bit of a break.

Until Bednar EITHER chooses to use Soderberg as a 2nd line center with decently skilled linemates OR figure out how he's going to configure the actual skill guys we do have for that line : Kamenev, Andrighetto, Compher & Kerfoot Jost then we are going to have guys that are miscast in positions they shouldn't be playing and it's going to be painful.

Last edited:

Newusername

Jun 26, 2013
I love Calvert and Wilson, both great fourth line players that show the kids how to work, they may not score a ton but they chip in when necessary. Two player I notice that need to be better is Barrie & kerfoot

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I love Calvert and Wilson, both great fourth line players that show the kids how to work, they may not score a ton but they chip in when necessary. Two player I notice that need to be better is Barrie & kerfoot

That's a key part of your post. Both are 4th liners but neither one of them is actually on the 4th line and to make matters worse, they're even getting PP time. They also don't have salaries of 4th liners.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Why is Soderberg not our 2nd line C playing with the skill guys? To me his usage makes very little sense. The team is desperate for offense but our second best center is permanently glued next to Nieto and whoever.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
Also, it's readily clear to me that Mark Barberio is completely and utterly unable to be a 7th D-man. He just can't come in cold, which is I guess analogous to some starting pitchers unable to come in as relievers. He just can't "shake off the rust" and play relatively well. Same thing happened when he came back from injury and played an uproariously poor game in the postseason last year. Dude's good for at least one What-The-f***-Were-You-Thinking-!!! turnover per game right now. Not sure how this gets remedied other than waiving him, sending him down, and using a guy like Captain Alt as the 7th guy. OR...you leave Nemeth in the press box and see if Barberio can get his legs under him and start playing better, but I'm not at all on board with that.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Some longer thoughts...

At heart, I think a lot of guys got high on their own supply. Girard, Mackinnon, Barrie, ect ect ect... These guys decided that they were too f***ing good to work hard and play a simple game and got burned. The Flames did a really good job working hard and forechecking the Avs D down low. Their pressure down low took away the stretch pass and the long outlets that the Avs puck movers have been torching teams with all season. As a result of this pressure, the Flames were also very aggressive in the middle of the ice attacking stray passes and weak clears (there were so many) that were just fired off from these guys while under pressure. The Avs kept trying long passes and chips to the center of the ice that weren't working and the Avs forwards were leaving the zone looking for a quick break way too early.

The proper move should have been to simplify the game. Chip the puck up the boards, put it up and out when you have to, trust your wingers to win scramble situations in their own end for clears, and be willing to dump and chase in the Flames end. Had the Avs been willing to do this, the Flames wouldn't have been able to be so aggressive bringing guys down low, and the game would have opened up for the Avs to counter. I don't know why Bednar never saw this or adjusted. It was just a shitshow and needs to be cleaned up.

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Also, it's readily clear to me that Mark Barberio is completely and utterly unable to be a 7th D-man. He just can't come in cold, which is I guess analogous to some starting pitchers unable to come in as relievers. He just can't "shake off the rust" and play relatively well. Same thing happened when he came back from injury and played an uproariously poor game in the postseason last year. Dude's good for at least one What-The-****-Were-You-Thinking-!!! turnover per game right now. Not sure how this gets remedied other than waiving him, sending him down, and using a guy like Captain Alt as the 7th guy. OR...you leave Nemeth in the press box and see if Barberio can get his legs under him and start playing better, but I'm not at all on board with that.
I actually thought he looked better than most of our D last night. Calgary was rushing our D (which seems to be very effective, and I'm sure the league has noticed) and they were making stupid 5 foot passes and trying to spin off players and getting caught. Barbario atleast skated with the puck and most of the time lobbed it out on the back hand. I can name 10 players worse defensively than barbario last night. 3 of them play "on the best line in the league"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad