GDT: Game 13: Avs @ Flames | 7 PM MT | November 1, 2018 | Where There's Flames, There's Smoke

AvsCOL

Jul 16, 2013
I think we should talk more about the Dano - Dries - Bourque line never seeing ice time again. That line needs to be scrapped, they got killed every time they were out there.

If you're going to ice a line that bad, why not give Greer a shot?

Murzu

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 23, 2013
Finland
5 minute major.

iQxQ0qi.gif

Ok, wtf. First game of the season that I missed. Good thing I did, I would had been mad.

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
I think we should talk more about the Dano - Dries - Bourque line never seeing ice time again. That line needs to be scrapped, they got killed every time they were out there.

I would prefer not to see anyone on that line play a game for the Avalanche again. However, we will get to enjoy watching them quite a bit this year because there is no forward depth. We will see if the offense gets fixed next year or are we just going to bring in another 4th liner like Calvert and call it a day.

Last edited:

R2daV

Apr 8, 2018
If the top line doesn't tear apart the Canucks tonight, then I'd be concerned. They have to be pissed off after this game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
Flames were amazing in this game but the third period just wasn't acceptable. I especially disliked Girard's carelessness and MacKinnon's poor backchecking because these guys should know better. I'm not too down on the team because important players are injured but such a period must never happen again.
Only one important player is injured. Compher.

OwenNolan

Jul 4, 2016
The score was 4-2. Calgary was coming on strong. Barberio got the puck behind the net and had all the time int he world to make a play. Instead he fired the puck up the boards right to a Calgary forward. Calgary ended up scoring and you could see the end was near.

Barberio has no buisness ever playing In the NHL. He offers nothing.

As for our forwards, usually the Mack line can carry this team but when they are off it shows how truly bad our depth is. Our entire line of Dano - Dries - Bourque also doesnt deserve to be in the league.

Reactions: Newusername

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
The score was 4-2. Calgary was coming on strong. Barberio got the puck behind the net and had all the time int he world to make a play. Instead he fired the puck up the boards right to a Calgary forward. Calgary ended up scoring and you could see the end was near.

Barberio has no buisness ever playing In the NHL. He offers nothing.

As for our forwards, usually the Mack line can carry this team but when they are off it shows how truly bad our depth is. Our entire line of Dano - Dries - Bourque also doesnt deserve to be in the league.
Not for nothing but that truly bad depth did all the scoring pretty much for us last night. On most nights i would agree but the problem wasn't the three 4th lines we had last night. The problem was Mackinnon playing dumb hockey, a call that changed momentum, Barberio being in the NHL and a coach whose saving his timeouts like hes going to lose money if he uses it.

RoyIsALegend

Gross Misconduct
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2008
I’m still so f***ing mad this morning.

Mad at the refs... awful call, this league has become no contact. A player simply can’t get knocked down hard or it’s a penalty. I’m disgusted. That Cole hit was text book, you would show that to every young kid. Clean, aim for the chest, don’t leave the feet, just a solid hard body check. Absolutely flabbergasted by that call.

Mad at Varly... just can’t have that type of collapse in the 3rd period. Yes we played bad, and yes he was awesome before that, but it just can’t happen. Not that many goals and not in that little of time. Unacceptable from a highly paid starting netminder.

Mad at Bednar... you have to be able to settle the team down and refocus. Can’t get steamrolled like that without a response. Can’t have your top line get so dominated and not have a tactical answer. Poorly coached game.

Just mad at the boys... good teams, playoff teams, don’t lose that game. Not a chance. You have to dig deep and get the killer mentality, plug the dam and stop the onslaught somehow. We looked overwhelmed and resigned to defeat.

I’m in a nasty mood at work, too. No patience for anything. This has really ticked me off.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
I'm not one that would normally blame the refs for a game... but this game was so significantly influenced by the officiating that it's actually hard reading the fan posts here which are blaming the players. Yes the players play the game and they are also partially responsible, but its rare for a team to be so heavily set up to fail as the Avs were in this game. Like how many of you guys blaming the players can remember a game where the officiating clearly turned the game this blatantly? Yeah, I mostly blame the refs for screwing the Avs. It was like 50% Refs/25%Players/25%Coaching IMO.

The Avs were up 4-1 near the end of the 2nd, with the Flames looking entirely out of it, not just in the score, but the Flames looked demoralized and like they knew the game was over. Then Cole levels a guy with a clean hit. 5min Major (BS) and a fight. Instead of coming away with a powerplay due to an instigation call, we end up short for a major penalty. This gives the Flames tons of energy (fight included), while the 15minutes the Avs are pissed in the dressing room about the call. Flames come out and hammer the Avs and score, build even more momentum and the Avs are down and out.

Now, this is the only part which is on the players. Guys have to learn that a bad call will happen and they can't get defeated mentally, which is exactly what happened. I haven't seen the Avs play that bad in a while. They couldn't complete a pass. They couldn't get into the Flames zone. They were still up 4-2, but they looked like they were down 8-1.

But this is also where I heavily blame Bednar. Wtf was he thinking not calling a timeout and continuing to roll lines that were not working and looked out of it. Just split everyone up and roll people out to play a simple game. You don't need more goals you need some energy / checking and to break the Flames momentum. It was clear by this point in the game that the MacK line wasn't with it tonight (was MacK sick or something?) Just split the lines entirely and simplify the game. Get the puck in the Flames zone and forecheck. Nope, Bednar doesn't adjust whatsoever. No timeout. Lets the team which is obviously down just get rolled over. WTF? That was some terrible decision making from him, like a deer in headlights. The only thing I can think was that he knew what was happening and let it happen to teach the players a lesson. Because like I said, bad calls will happen, but the team looked so out of it in the third I can't believe he didn't react. If that isn't the case he should seriously be talked to by Joe / put on notice. It was embarrassing.

Which brings me back to the refs and their influence on the game. It was so obvious what was coming watching the game on TV, let alone being in the building. And it was triggered by a TERRIBLE call by the refs which they had to know after the intermission was a bad call. Usually, you would see a makeup call on something chintsy when refs make a bad call like that. It's not a great practice, but it definitely happens. This was nowhere to be seen despite several holds and slashes which kept offensive pressure (and momentum) when the Avs may have been able to get some relief. Mind you these weren't horribly offending plays, but they were there, and given the terrible call on Cole the Avs deserved at least a minor on something soft back.

TLDR: If you reffed that game or coached the Avs, you should be embarrassed for the impact you had on the game.

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I’m still so ****ing mad this morning.

Mad at the refs... awful call, this league has become no contact. A player simply can’t get knocked down hard or it’s a penalty. I’m disgusted. That Cole hit was text book, you would show that to every young kid. Clean, aim for the chest, don’t leave the feet, just a solid hard body check. Absolutely flabbergasted by that call.

Mad at Varly... just can’t have that type of collapse in the 3rd period. Yes we played bad, and yes he was awesome before that, but it just can’t happen. Not that many goals and not in that little of time. Unacceptable from a highly paid starting netminder.

Mad at Bednar... you have to be able to settle the team down and refocus. Can’t get steamrolled like that without a response. Can’t have your top line get so dominated and not have a tactical answer. Poorly coached game.

Just mad at the boys... good teams, playoff teams, don’t lose that game. Not a chance. You have to dig deep and get the killer mentality, plug the dam and stop the onslaught somehow. We looked overwhelmed and resigned to defeat.

I’m in a nasty mood at work, too. No patience for anything. This has really ticked me off.
I got a call from a customer from Calgary and Toronto this morning. I let it go to VM. Salty af about lssy night and have a feeling im gonna be angry tonight after losing to nucks

Reactions: dahrougem2

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia
I'm not one that would normally blame the refs for a game... but this game was so significantly influenced by the officiating that it's actually hard reading the fan posts here which are blaming the players. Yes the players play the game and they are also partially responsible, but its rare for a team to be so heavily set up to fail as the Avs were in this game. Like how many of you guys blaming the players can remember a game where the officiating clearly turned the game this blatantly? Yeah, I mostly blame the refs for screwing the Avs. It was like 50% Refs/25%Players/25%Coaching IMO.

The Avs were up 4-1 near the end of the 2nd, with the Flames looking entirely out of it, not just in the score, but the Flames looked demoralized and like they knew the game was over. Then Cole levels a guy with a clean hit. 5min Major (BS) and a fight. Instead of coming away with a powerplay due to an instigation call, we end up short for a major penalty. This gives the Flames tons of energy (fight included), while the 15minutes the Avs are pissed in the dressing room about the call. Flames come out and hammer the Avs and score, build even more momentum and the Avs are down and out.

Now, this is the only part which is on the players. Guys have to learn that a bad call will happen and they can't get defeated mentally, which is exactly what happened. I haven't seen the Avs play that bad in a while. They couldn't complete a pass. They couldn't get into the Flames zone. They were still up 4-2, but they looked like they were down 8-1.

But this is also where I heavily blame Bednar. Wtf was he thinking not calling a timeout and continuing to roll lines that were not working and looked out of it. Just split everyone up and roll people out to play a simple game. You don't need more goals you need some energy / checking and to break the Flames momentum. It was clear by this point in the game that the MacK line wasn't with it tonight (was MacK sick or something?) Just split the lines entirely and simplify the game. Get the puck in the Flames zone and forecheck. Nope, Bednar doesn't adjust whatsoever. No timeout. Lets the team which is obviously down just get rolled over. WTF? That was some terrible decision making from him, like a deer in headlights. The only thing I can think was that he knew what was happening and let it happen to teach the players a lesson. Because like I said, bad calls will happen, but the team looked so out of it in the third I can't believe he didn't react. If that isn't the case he should seriously be talked to by Joe / put on notice. It was embarrassing.

Which brings me back to the refs and their influence on the game. It was so obvious what was coming watching the game on TV, let alone being in the building. And it was triggered by a TERRIBLE call by the refs which they had to know after the intermission was a bad call. Usually, you would see a makeup call on something chintsy when refs make a bad call like that. It's not a great practice, but it definitely happens. This was nowhere to be seen despite several holds and slashes which kept offensive pressure (and momentum) when the Avs may have been able to get some relief. Mind you these weren't horribly offending plays, but they were there, and given the terrible call on Cole the Avs deserved at least a minor on something soft back.

TLDR: If you reffed that game or coached the Avs, you should be embarrassed for the impact you had on the game.
The players still have to play. Shit call no doubt and momentum is a mothaf***a especially in hockey but a good team wouldve shrugged that off. A young team would get flustered and let in 5 goals in a period. A great coach would recognize that his young team is overwhelmed and do something to change the momentum. Nothing happened

Reactions: Avs_19

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Guy is an idiot when it comes to the game. Janko still had the puck when he got drilled.

I don't know if he just talks loud or if they don't know how to manage mic volumns but everytime he's on he just talks over the other two the entire time with his loud ass voice it's become pointless to listen to. He's a complete idiot about present day Avalanche/hockey in general. Good for some stories about the golden years, but that's pretty much it.

MarkT

Heretic
Nov 11, 2017
Just watched it.

MacKinnon was godawful and cost us at least two goals against - one with an terrible pass in his own zone and another not bothering to cover Giordano. Overall out forwards were terrible defensively - Kerfoot was also directly responsible for a goal against by not cover Monahan. That one was particularly bad because you can clearly see him intentionally skate away from his man for some reason.

The Cole penalty also really hurt because only Zadorov and Cole were playing well that game. The rest of the defense all had moments of being terrible.

philb613

Feb 9, 2011
Ottawa
Hey guys just saw the Cole hit, looks super similar to the Boro hit on Eakin which he was tossed for and suspended 3 games.

Hopefully for your sake the DoP(e)S department remains their inconsistent selves and don't suspend Cole. FWIW Parros is an idiot and refs seem to have been sent a message that any big hit resulting in a player leaving the ice is now considered a major.

duckbear

Mar 31, 2016
Hey guys just saw the Cole hit, looks super similar to the Boro hit on Eakin which he was tossed for and suspended 3 games.

Hopefully for your sake the DoP(e)S department remains their inconsistent selves and don't suspend Cole. FWIW Parros is an idiot and refs seem to have been sent a message that any big hit resulting in a player leaving the ice is now considered a major.

It does look like the Boro hit but the fine details of what Boro was 'supposed to do' is exactly what Cole did. Cole hits the shoulder/chest and doesn't come across him, instead hits through him. Any supplemental discipline will be on the linesman that made the call.

GirardIsStupid

Dec 15, 2002
Visit site

Are you trying to mock the Avs?

To the window!
Sponsor
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
I think that was a shit call. We just can’t fold like that, whatever the circumstance.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad