GDT: Game 13: Avs @ Flames | 7 PM MT | November 1, 2018 | Where There's Flames, There's Smoke

To the window!
Jan 15, 2011
North Cackolacka
Some longer thoughts...

At heart, I think a lot of guys got high on their own supply. Girard, Mackinnon, Barrie, ect ect ect... These guys decided that they were too ****ing good to work hard and play a simple game and got burned. The Flames did a really good job working hard and forechecking the Avs D down low. Their pressure down low took away the stretch pass and the long outlets that the Avs puck movers have been torching teams with all season. As a result of this pressure, the Flames were also very aggressive in the middle of the ice attacking stray passes and weak clears (there were so many) that were just fired off from these guys while under pressure. The Avs kept trying long passes and chips to the center of the ice that weren't working and the Avs forwards were leaving the zone looking for a quick break way too early.

The proper move should have been to simplify the game. Chip the puck up the boards, put it up and out when you have to, trust your wingers to win scramble situations in their own end for clears, and be willing to dump and chase in the Flames end. Had the Avs been willing to do this, the Flames wouldn't have been able to be so aggressive bringing guys down low, and the game would have opened up for the Avs to counter. I don't know why Bednar never saw this or adjusted. It was just a ****show and needs to be cleaned up.

I think this is right on. Lots of people getting big heads or simply just not ready for the spotlight.

Reactions: New Scotlander

NOTENOUGHJTCGOALS

Feb 28, 2006
Bennett was really smart there. If the Flames just play the puck and skate up ice and Jank pops up and gets to the bench the refs wouldn't have even called a penalty.

Alex Jones

BIG BOWL 'A CHILI!!
Jun 8, 2009
Conspiratron 9000
Anyway, I want tonight to be a motherf***ing war. None of this soft shit we saw all game yesterday, I want guys winning loose pucks, clearing the front of the net (something that didn't happen at all yesterday), forechecking hard, and keeping it simple. No more of this trash. I hope Bednar got mad last night after the game and smashed a chair through a f***ing table.

Reactions: S E P H

AvsFan29

Mar 15, 2018
Anyway, I want tonight to be a mother****ing war. None of this soft **** we saw all game yesterday, I want guys winning loose pucks, clearing the front of the net (something that didn't happen at all yesterday), forechecking hard, and keeping it simple. No more of this trash. I hope Bednar got mad last night after the game and smashed a chair through a ****ing table.
I'd bet a lot of money that Bednar said what needed to be said. Whether the team bounces back or not, that's going to be up to the leaders.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I would like to apologize for one thing, in the last post I called Bednar a coward for not conducting a postgame. He actually did, but it wasn't uploaded until very late in the night.

Lol, Clark cusses in the video via a quote from EJ.

Some longer thoughts...

At heart, I think a lot of guys got high on their own supply. Girard, Mackinnon, Barrie, ect ect ect... These guys decided that they were too ****ing good to work hard and play a simple game and got burned. The Flames did a really good job working hard and forechecking the Avs D down low. Their pressure down low took away the stretch pass and the long outlets that the Avs puck movers have been torching teams with all season. As a result of this pressure, the Flames were also very aggressive in the middle of the ice attacking stray passes and weak clears (there were so many) that were just fired off from these guys while under pressure. The Avs kept trying long passes and chips to the center of the ice that weren't working and the Avs forwards were leaving the zone looking for a quick break way too early.

The proper move should have been to simplify the game. Chip the puck up the boards, put it up and out when you have to, trust your wingers to win scramble situations in their own end for clears, and be willing to dump and chase in the Flames end. Had the Avs been willing to do this, the Flames wouldn't have been able to be so aggressive bringing guys down low, and the game would have opened up for the Avs to counter. I don't know why Bednar never saw this or adjusted. It was just a ****show and needs to be cleaned up.
Yes, absolutely everything yes to this. What pissed me off so much is everyone from the defenders to the forwards tried to do this flip out of the zone with the puck so it wouldn't go for an icing. But, they had the physical strength of a person with no arms and kept fanning on it - super frustrating to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: avsfan09 and Avs_19

Avs_19

Jun 28, 2007
I would like to apologize for one thing, in the last post I called Bednar a coward for not conducting a postgame. He actually did, but it wasn't uploaded until very late in the night.

Bednar was pissed.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
If there’s anyone out there that still believes Calvert is a better player than Comeau, please show yourself. This team paid 2.8M for a slight Bourque improvement.

I'm not sure there was anyone that thought Calvert was a "better player" than Comeau. There's certainly no evidence to suggest he is so far this year. Where is the evidence to suggest Comeau is better this year though?

Comeau is four years older, has the same three year term as Calvert, makes $450k less (which won't really affect the Avs) and has the same point total so far as Calvert.

So far it looks more or less like a wash to me, but Calvert is younger, and Comeau's a big risk to decline even further during that three years.

Reactions: New Scotlander

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
Nieto?

I never had a problem with Comeau. Ripping on him just seemed to be a common occurrence on here.

It was more so his first couple years. He had a good start his first season, but was pretty up and down in the second half. His second season was pretty bad, and didn't look engaged very much at all. His third he was pretty good, and didn't get too much hate, but many viewed it as a contract year performance.

Foppa2118

Oct 3, 2003
It's a bit unfair to call out the top line and blame them for a loss when they've carried the team on their backs in almost every game so far but man, they were so bad last night. Credit to the Flames and Backlund's line because they were great but that line, especially MacKinnon, just made it really easy for them as well. They're allowed to have an off night though and hopefully they come out on fire tonight. I'm sure all of them will want to rebound but something tells me Landeskog in particular won't let that happen again.

That's how I feel too. That line, and especially Nate were pretty off their game, but they've been the only reason (along with Varly) that the Avs have won so many games this year. They've been absolutely dominant. Don't think we can rag on them too hard for a stinker game, as long as they get back on track soon after.

Landy always leads the way in these rebound games. Sometimes it's a concern though, because he cares so much, that sometimes he goes overboard and makes a reckless play. Hopefully he's learned from that in the past.

Reactions: Foppberg and Avs_19

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
Man, watching that video you can tell Bednar wants to lay into the officials for that call but holds back.

I'll bet he absolutely tore into the team post-game. He may be a calm guy, but that type of performance might set him off and rightfully so.

I wonder if Bednar/Sakic will even get an explanation from the league on what the officials called because the hit is as clean as they come and completely changed the outlook of the game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad