GDT: Game 12: Seattle Kraken(4-6-1) @ Arizona Coyotes(0-10-1) - 7:00 p.m. PT/10:00 p.m. ET

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
The Coyotes played like us. High effort but were able to capitalize on their PP and our defensive miscues more.

At some time, the team will need to stop blaming losses on bounces and lack of chemistry.
The Kraken were going to be hard pressed to score at the best of times...having McCann outta the line up hurts...hope he gets back soon the team needs him badly

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Season is still early but yikes that was a deflating bad loss. I’m sorry, but this is a microcosm of probably what to expect for a while due to our GM’s decisions including our coach. The running goalies to the ground thing seems to be a Hakstol thing. Has Driedger even started a game yet?
Could be time for Driedger to start perhaps against the injury plagued Golden Knights?

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Watched the 1st period and was pleased with they way we were playing so I went to bed after having a migraine all day but woke up to noticing us loss and thats a shame, Grubs letting up 5 goals against the Yotes is a stinks but it also seems like our Dmen let up a few high chance shots by a bone headed mistakes

Just shooting form the hip here but is there a chance Grubs isnt as good as advertised because he was on a stacked Avs team that has talent all over the roster and hes getting more or less exposed on a team that isnt nearly as talents as their team? Just spit balling here and not calling him a bad goalie at all. with that said we gotta improve on other parts of our team to help our goalie out because i have noticed in prior games we let up a lot of odd man rushes and give up some stupid turnovers that have led to high scoring chances for the opponent

Im also worried that this team atleast in the its infancy is destined for mediocrity because we wont be bad enough to have a chance at a lottery pick but will be good enough to either make the playoffs or be a borderline playoff team and always picking in the 15-20 range, Think of the Minnesota Wild for instance I dont think weve ever have a pick in the top 5 and have been the definition of mediocre for our entire the entire time this organization has existed besides a few strong playoff pushes here and there
When Grubauer lets in a softie or plays bad it seems he really plays small which is the opposite of what he should be playing. Gru playing on a stacked team would make him look better for sure...hope he can work his way outta this bad game and funk

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
Season is still early but yikes that was a deflating bad loss. I’m sorry, but this is a microcosm of probably what to expect for a while due to our GM’s decisions including our coach. The running goalies to the ground thing seems to be a Hakstol thing. Has Driedger even started a game yet?

Driedger was injured all season and has just been off the IR for a couple of days.

Though, it was still a strange decision to not give him the start against Arizona.

Reactions: Ray Martyniuk

Ray Martyniuk

Mar 13, 2019
Grubauer's SV% was at nearly .900 before the game and is now at .886
Philipp Grubauer Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

giphy.gif

:propeller

BTW: I think people should stop talking about the playoffs.
This team, allthough working hard most nights, just doesn't have the talent(on both sides) to consistantly produce points in order to be in that conversation.
I think we'll end up somehwere around 10th - 12th spot of the WC and will draft between 8th - 13th in next years draft.
Personally I'd have the Seattle Kraken pushing hard the whole year until Deadline day then I'd be making a flurry of deals to get younger...to end up with a better draft position(top3-5) and then go hard at UFA's especially the scoring wingers(respect due Eberle/Schwartz) the Kraken lack

Reactions: Spoonman32

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Could be time for Driedger to start perhaps against the injury plagued Golden Knights?
Yeah I’d give Grubby a break.
Also, when we had Bobrovsky in FL posting bad #s like Grubby and we also had Driedger, we just gave the next start to whoever had the previous W. It worked good for us last season and Driedger was a solid backup. But I doubt Hakstol would try that and to be fair, Panthers had a much better team in front of the goalies than Seattle does now so I can’t blame Grubby 100% but he should be able to do a little better.
Anyway, long season, let’s just enjoy hockey in Seattle and try to make our home a fortress.

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Driedger was injured all season and has just been off the IR for a couple of days.

Though, it was still a strange decision to not give him the start against Arizona.
Ah yeah that’s true, forgot he was injured for a couple of games. But yeah, hope he gets his fair chance and a shot at playing some games. He’s a decent backup.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
:baghead:
Game summary

- started out well and played a great first minute
- stopped forechecking and probably believed that this one was in the bag, while the Coyotes outworked them
- giving up high danger chances left and right
- started playing again after giving up the tying goal
- tied it with about a minute left and then Larsson did what ever the f**** he did there right after the game started again

Giving up five and being pinned in their own zone for a lot of the game against a Coyotes team that so far had trouble getting in the opposing teams third all season.
Grubauer's stats are terrible and you hope he might get one or two of those clear cut chances(like most other goalies do against us) but at some point we've got to play some defense and limit those high danger chances to help him out.

Also, the power play is comically bad and even the worst PK in the whole league has absolutely no trouble defending it.
There's absolutely no movement and it's basically passing it from the high slot to the side and back and hoping one of those telegraphed shots gets through while there's either no net presence or no one able to tip a shot.
At some point it might be best to do what Oleksiak did and just take a penalty to go 4 on 4. :laugh:

BTW: Seems like I'm the GDT tank commander.
We're now 0-2 during my GDT's and there are two more coming this month against Anaheim and Buffalo....:joker:
Seattle is now the worst PP team in the league. As you said, too static and too many unscreened shots from BFE.

I watching the replays on the goals and I think one of the issues is that the team is too aggressive in transition. The forwards all move up aggressively, and they get caught well behind the play if there's a turnover. The other issue is defensive zone coverage by the forwards, leaving the D outmanned which leads to back door plays. The goalie would have to do some Hasek-like acrobatics to save those, and I don't think that's Gruby's style.

Even though the guys were uncovered, Gruby has to stop those distance shots, looks like he flat out misjudged Kessel's PP goal.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Seattle is now the worst PP team in the league. As you said, too static and too many unscreened shots from BFE.

I watching the replays on the goals and I think one of the issues is that the team is too aggressive in transition. The forwards all move up aggressively, and they get caught well behind the play if there's a turnover. The other issue is defensive zone coverage by the forwards, leaving the D outmanned which leads to back door plays. The goalie would have to do some Hasek-like acrobatics to save those, and I don't think that's Gruby's style.

Even though the guys were uncovered, Gruby has to stop those distance shots, looks like he flat out misjudged Kessel's PP goal.

Yep. In a young season seems like too many similar goals allowed by Gru. The Tage Thompson goal was in the Sabres game was another such long-distance goal.

Reactions: Gniwder

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany

Yeah, good points.

Like we've stated many times over here, we're not really helping the defense and Grubauer because we give up way too many odd man rushes and that mostly happens with us overcomitting to pressure the opposing team and them just passing it out of their zone.

BTW: I've heard there will be a new PP song, at least until we score again....:highclap:

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Yeah, good points.

Like we've stated many times over here, we're not really helping the defense and Grubauer because we give up way too many odd man rushes and that mostly happens with us overcomitting to pressure the opposing team and them just passing it out of their zone.

BTW: I've heard there will be a new PP song, at least until we score again....:highclap:

LOL on the new PP song .. :)

Hey, the one thing that is getting me excited is the draft prospects for next year. If we end up in the top-5 there is a legit chance that we end up starting both Beniers and the 2022 1st round pick. Could make for a fun year.

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
Yeah, good points.

Damn you're old, lol.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I really don't like anything about the PP. Giordano isn't the QB he used to be on a PP, Donato should not be on the 1st unit. There really isn't a big time shooting threat on either unit so teams can be much more aggressive. Maybe try Bastian in front of net for screens and to drag the D closet to the front which would give Eberle or Gourde more space. Need to also improve on the faceoffs and zone entries, killing offensive zone time and rhythm.

Reactions: kihei

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I am blaming @The Marquis for not sacrificing his liver for a win today .. :)

Hahaha. I was out in the woods for this one and the Vegas one after it. It'll be a while before I miss watching another, but after a good 5-6 days of abstaining from drinking, I'm thinking THAT part may not be returning, at least not often. As it stands, the Kraken have lost all 4 games I've been unable to watch due to being out in the woods. As such, it's safe to say I'm definitely the problem.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad