GDT: Game 12: Seattle Kraken(4-6-1) @ Arizona Coyotes(0-10-1) - 7:00 p.m. PT/10:00 p.m. ET

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
The Coyotes played like us. High effort but were able to capitalize on their PP and our defensive miscues more.

At some time, the team will need to stop blaming losses on bounces and lack of chemistry.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Should have kept Grubauer on the bench, Utterly useless tonight.

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Each period we got progressively worse. Irish whiskey was made for nights like this.

Reactions: Cisse

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
In Colorado Grubauer was in a culture of winning now he is in culture of losing. So much of goaltending happens in the head of the goalies.
In his first season with the Avs, they were 38-30-14. Over .500 pt% but not win%. Gruby had a winning record nonetheless.

I don't think the problem is in his head, the problem is the team somehow managing to leave guys wide open for shots. Defensive zone turnovers and poor coverage on defensive transitions are killing this team.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Gniwder

Oct 12, 2009
Bellingham, WA
He has had way too many starts already. Driedger is now back. There is no real excuse to play Grubauer against a team like the Coyotes, especially a back-to-back game for them.
Coaches don't like to swap goalie after a win, and he's looked good in the last 4 games. But I would have to imagine that this game forces his hand a bit.

Spoonman32

Jun 22, 2011
In his first season with the Avs, they were 38-30-14. Over .500 pt% but not win%. Gruby had a winning record nonetheless.

I don't think the problem is in his head, the problem is the team somehow managing to leave guys wide open for shots. Defensive zone turnovers and poor coverage on defensive transitions are killing this team.

Truth. So much gets made out of the PP troubles, lack of offensive weapons, etc. but if this team has any chance of competing for a playoff spot, they need to clean up their defensive game. It's plagued them all season long. Unlike their offensive issues, this is something they can actually do something about. Coyotes looked like an offensive powerhouse who can generate scoring chances at will.

Reactions: Gniwder

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
:baghead:
Game summary

- started out well and played a great first minute
- stopped forechecking and probably believed that this one was in the bag, while the Coyotes outworked them
- giving up high danger chances left and right
- started playing again after giving up the tying goal
- tied it with about a minute left and then Larsson did what ever the f**** he did there right after the game started again

Giving up five and being pinned in their own zone for a lot of the game against a Coyotes team that so far had trouble getting in the opposing teams third all season.
Grubauer's stats are terrible and you hope he might get one or two of those clear cut chances(like most other goalies do against us) but at some point we've got to play some defense and limit those high danger chances to help him out.

Also, the power play is comically bad and even the worst PK in the whole league has absolutely no trouble defending it.
There's absolutely no movement and it's basically passing it from the high slot to the side and back and hoping one of those telegraphed shots gets through while there's either no net presence or no one able to tip a shot.
At some point it might be best to do what Oleksiak did and just take a penalty to go 4 on 4. :laugh:

BTW: Seems like I'm the GDT tank commander.
We're now 0-2 during my GDT's and there are two more coming this month against Anaheim and Buffalo....:joker:

Reactions: Gniwder

RainyCityHockey

Dec 24, 2019
Germany
This will lower Grubauer's terrible 847 SV% even further.

Grubauer's SV% was at nearly .900 before the game and is now at .886
Philipp Grubauer Stats, News, Bio | ESPN

giphy.gif

:propeller

BTW: I think people should stop talking about the playoffs.
This team, allthough working hard most nights, just doesn't have the talent(on both sides) to consistantly produce points in order to be in that conversation.
I think we'll end up somehwere around 10th - 12th spot of the WC and will draft between 8th - 13th in next years draft.

J Corso

Sep 22, 2020
Fanny Bay
Missed the game. Sounds like we played awful. 773 save percentage against the worst team in the league is just pathetic no matter how poor the D was.

Goaltending has killed the chances at a playoff spot already.

Sad People

Jun 4, 2021
Watched the 1st period and was pleased with they way we were playing so I went to bed after having a migraine all day but woke up to noticing us loss and thats a shame, Grubs letting up 5 goals against the Yotes is a stinks but it also seems like our Dmen let up a few high chance shots by a bone headed mistakes

Just shooting form the hip here but is there a chance Grubs isnt as good as advertised because he was on a stacked Avs team that has talent all over the roster and hes getting more or less exposed on a team that isnt nearly as talents as their team? Just spit balling here and not calling him a bad goalie at all. with that said we gotta improve on other parts of our team to help our goalie out because i have noticed in prior games we let up a lot of odd man rushes and give up some stupid turnovers that have led to high scoring chances for the opponent

Im also worried that this team atleast in the its infancy is destined for mediocrity because we wont be bad enough to have a chance at a lottery pick but will be good enough to either make the playoffs or be a borderline playoff team and always picking in the 15-20 range, Think of the Minnesota Wild for instance I dont think weve ever have a pick in the top 5 and have been the definition of mediocre for our entire the entire time this organization has existed besides a few strong playoff pushes here and there

Panteras

“I’ll remember this hell of a journey”- Barkov
Sep 14, 2009
Panther’s favorite strip club
Season is still early but yikes that was a deflating bad loss. I’m sorry, but this is a microcosm of probably what to expect for a while due to our GM’s decisions including our coach. The running goalies to the ground thing seems to be a Hakstol thing. Has Driedger even started a game yet?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad