GDT: Game 12 | Los Angeles Kings @ Detroit Red Wings | 12:30 PM EST | NBC/TSN

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
It's been like 12 games and he's played well the past 3. Making up your mind after a few games is the definition of a knee-jerk reaction.

Stop being such an apologist. Cleary has been terrible longer than the start of this season. He was terrible last season as well. And how was today a good game by him? Or any of the past 3? Because he finally picked up a point? He still is slow, can't win a puck battle, turns the puck over constantly, and worse of all takes a minor penalty every single game.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
It's been like 12 games and he's played well the past 3

One rebound goal means he's playing well? He's taken a penalty in each of the last 3 games and he can't skate and is constantly behind the play. Don't know what you're looking at.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
Yeah, he did his job. He lost the battle though and Doughty made a bad play (which was hurried up by the presence of Datsyuk) which led to the goal.

So lets all hail Cleary for attempting to battle for puck like you're supposed to as a winger in that situation.

Great job Clears!

I don't have a replay handy but I'm pretty sure Cleary's team lost the faceoff so he had what, 15 feet to make up right off the bat? But he gets to the corner and makes sure the defenseman can't handle the puck cleanly.

It's not his job to "win" that puck battle. He's at a huge disadvantage after the lost faceoff. His job is to make sure that puck doesn't go straight out of the zone.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
Stop being such an apologist. Cleary has been terrible longer than the start of this season. He was terrible last season as well. And how was today a good game by him? Or any of the past 3? Because he finally picked up a point? He still is slow, can't win a puck battle, turns the puck over constantly, and worse of all takes a minor penalty every single game.

One rebound goal means he's playing well? He's taken a penalty in each of the last 3 games and he can't skate and is constantly behind the play. Don't know what you're looking at.

Hah. Calling me a Cleary apologist is ironic. But anyway even though I'm not liking the way he's being used and would have no problem having him off the team doesn't mean I have to nitpick every part of his game like a bunch of other people are doing. He's been playing better the last 3 games - read into that anyway you please.

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
The things Cleary can do from time to time are suited on the 4th line, playing 10-12 minutes a game. What I see out there is a guy who works his butt off but has lost almost all the skill elements of his game. Not strangely, his lone goal and point came from some hard work. It's not his fault he's put out in situations where he's no longer effective, however.

Sergei DRW

Nov 17, 2010
Could LA be one of the biggest flukes we've seen? They were terrible all last season but Quick bailed them out. Now they're just as terrible but Quick isn't as good.

Nah, they are good, all 12 forwards are huge MOFo's and this is what counts in the grind of the playoff hockey.
Look at that Nolan-King line.....it's like they are a head above any Red Wing on the ice.

chances14

Jan 7, 2010
Michigan
We'll take the win, but you don't really want to make winning that way a habit. You cannot depend on your goalie to stop 45/47 every game. You need to play better all around. Counting on Howie or any goalie to do that is a disaster strategy for deep playoff runs.

So yeah, what you call "whining" is pointing out that this win was undeserved and doesn't absolve the rest of their team for their bad play.

i think everyone on here knows that the kings dominated this game. everyone knows that depending on your goalie to win every game is a bad habit. everyone knows that the wings need to play better. and if everyone on here knows this, i'm sure that the players on the wings know this.

but every team gets undeserved wins during the course of the season. so take a deep breath, relax, sit back and enjoy the fact that this team managed to a pull a win out today against the defending cup champs.

i'm sure that with a couple days off, this team will be much better on wednesday when they play the blues. if not, then you can complain all you want.

Wingznut

Aug 11, 2004
Boy what a game, somewhat expected given the back-to-back and injuries, glad the guys found a way to pull it off.

Watched the replay of that last goal about 20 times now...

Looks like the puck changes direction right about where Cleary was standing, (puck ends up going between Quick's pad and trapper, not 5-hole).

Anyone else noticed that?

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
The things Cleary can do from time to time are suited on the 4th line, playing 10-12 minutes a game. What I see out there is a guy who works his butt off but has lost almost all the skill elements of his game. Not strangely, his lone goal and point came from some hard work. It's not his fault he's put out in situations where he's no longer effective, however.

If they want to use Cleary like they used Homer at the end of his career, on the 4th line, that would be ok I guess. But he just provides nothing to dats and fil on the wing on that line, half the time they gained the zone cleary wasn't even on the tv screen.

RedWingsNow*

Doesn't much matter how hard you work if you can't skate.

He caused the goal against today.
He caused a powerplay against us that caused first his own turnover.

He constantly kills his line's progress in the offensive zone.

He's not useful on line 4 if he can't skate.

Le depisteur

Feb 13, 2003
Québec
Visit site
Boy what a game, somewhat expected given the back-to-back and injuries, glad the guys found a way to pull it off.

Looks like the puck changes direction right about where Cleary was standing, (puck ends up going between Quick's pad and trapper, not 5-hole).

You should send your CV to Toronto, you could be a fine goal judge! :sarcasm:

Seriously, I saw the goal many times too and it's a tough call. We will see, maybe the scoring sheet will change...

RedWingsNow*

Why are we trying to kill Kronwall by pairing him with an inexperienced, rather useless Lashoff?

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
but every team gets undeserved wins during the course of the season. so take a deep breath, relax, sit back and enjoy the fact that this team managed to a pull a win out today against the defending cup champs.

It's difficult to imagine, but you can both praise certain players and call out others. On the same team. For the same game!

Amazing isn't it!?!?

Life isn't so simple where you have to pick just one thing at a time! Howard, Datsyuk, Z, E, all play great. Most others were average to bad. Needs to shape up overall.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
i think everyone on here knows that the kings dominated this game. everyone knows that depending on your goalie to win every game is a bad habit. everyone knows that the wings need to play better. and if everyone on here knows this, i'm sure that the players on the wings know this.

i'm sure that with a couple days off, this team will be much better on wednesday when they play the blues. if not, then you can complain all you want.
+1
Edzo with the unbridled joy when LA tied it up and crushed when Big E scored. Hahaha!
:laugh::laugh::laugh: Love it.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
I find it amusing that the same Heaton that was ready for Tomas Holmstrom to be gone is defending a man that at this point is skating WORSE than Homer at the tail end of his career. Cleary cannot skate at an NHL level. I don't think he can skate at a minor league level. IMO Cleary should retire. I respect his heart, his desire to compete and his will to play through pain, but he's done. He is 5 syteps behind the action. He has no balance, bno strength on ghis skates...his skating is not up to par for this level of hockey.

Winger98

Feb 27, 2002
Cleveland
I can't believe you guys won't give Cleary credit for anything on that last scoring play. I know the guy isn't as talented as we'd all like him to be but he plays hard and tries hard.

We lost the faceoff and instead of a clean pass and out, Cleary gets in there, disrupts the play, and before you know it, we've got possession at the point and we score.

He did something right for once and you can't even say one nice thing.

he definitely deserves credit for getting in there. I ragged on the guy earlier for looking gassed, and I think he looked pretty exhausted all game, but he kept working and was there in the end. I'd still like to see his IT cut, though.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I find it amusing that the same Heaton that was ready for Tomas Holmstrom to be gone is defending a man that at this point is skating WORSE than Homer at the tail end of his career. Cleary cannot skate at an NHL level. I don't think he can skate at a minor league level. IMO Cleary should retire. I respect his heart, his desire to compete and his will to play through pain, but he's done. He is 5 syteps behind the action. He has no balance, bno strength on ghis skates...his skating is not up to par for this level of hockey.

I'm not defending him nor do I want him on the team. But I also try to be fair and Cleary has been better, but it still doesn't change my first statement.

RedWingsNow*

Hah. Calling me a Cleary apologist is ironic. But anyway even though I'm not liking the way he's being used and would have no problem having him off the team doesn't mean I have to nitpick every part of his game like a bunch of other people are doing. He's been playing better the last 3 games - read into that anyway you please.

How do you watch today's game and say Cleary looked good?
Can't skate. Can't keep the play alive. Goal against was Cleary's fault. Gave the puckaway and took a penalty that could have cost us.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad