GDT: Game 12 | Los Angeles Kings @ Detroit Red Wings | 12:30 PM EST | NBC/TSN

RedWingsNow*

I find it amusing that the same Heaton that was ready for Tomas Holmstrom to be gone is defending a man that at this point is skating WORSE than Homer at the tail end of his career. Cleary cannot skate at an NHL level. I don't think he can skate at a minor league level. IMO Cleary should retire. I respect his heart, his desire to compete and his will to play through pain, but he's done. He is 5 syteps behind the action. He has no balance, bno strength on ghis skates...his skating is not up to par for this level of hockey.

Cleary's skating has not reached Holmstrom level.

But let's be serious.
Homer in his best days was a bad skater.
Cleary, when he came to Detroit, made is pay by skating hard, finishing checks, going to the net, blocking shots, etc.

But now that he can't skate hard, he's not getting to the places he needs to be to do all those other things.

I'm not ready for Homer 2.0

Kronwalled55

Detroit vs. Everybody
Jan 7, 2011
Atlanta, GA
Go figure, the two games I miss are great ones. I'm tempted to just stay away, and box score watch like I've been doing at work. I'm bad luck :(

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

But let's be serious.
Cleary, when he came to Detroit, made is pay by skating hard, finishing checks, going to the net, blocking shots, etc.

But now that he can't skate hard, he's not getting to the places he needs to be to do all those other things.

You could tolerate Holmstrom's skating at even strength, because at least he made our power play significantly better with his net-front presence. Cleary's contributions are very limited, and he completely hampers the offensive flow of any line he is put on at even strength. I can't believe Babcock can watch what we watch and continue to play him in as many minutes and situations as he does. It's pretty mind-boggling.

RedWingsNow*

Wasn't that great a game.

The game got pretty boring from the second period until the final 3-4 minutes.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I thought Kindl played a very good game today, looked pretty confident out there, made some nice plays skating the puck.

Cleary and Andersson looked painfully slow.

Ericsson was solid.

Would like to see Sheahan up as the 4th line C to have a line of Abby-Sheahan-Tootoo.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

But let's be serious.

Homer even at the end was still one of the best board battlers/passers on the team imo. So often I'd see him make the perfect play against a defender in the offensive zone and dish it to Datsyuk or Zetterberg so they could make magic with it. He knew his role and he did it well. Best net front in the league, and could always be counted on to get the puck to the two best forwards on the team.

What's Cleary doing these days besides taking bad penalties and one goal in like 11 games? Not even counting last year.

8snake

Aug 3, 2005
Frk, I agree with you on Andersson as well. The few times he's been up he just looks to slow and lumbering to be effective as either a forechecker or physical presence. I just don't see a future for him unless he got a step quicker. As of right now he's just a slow big body that has trouble staying up with the play.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
Frk, I agree with you on Andersson as well. The few times he's been up he just looks to slow and lumbering to be effective as either a forechecker or physical presence. I just don't see a future for him unless he got a step quicker. As of right now he's just a slow big body that has trouble staying up with the play.

I too don't see Andersson having a future with the club.

sarcastro

Jul 28, 2005

As a guy that's big, slow, and has no hands, Andersson is going to have to do something else really, really well in order to stick in the NHL. Faceoffs, PK, fighting - SOMETHING. I haven't seen anything from him thus far that show he has anything to offer that isn't 'blah'.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
As a guy that's big, slow, and has no hands, Andersson is going to have to do something else really, really well in order to stick in the NHL. Faceoffs, PK, fighting - SOMETHING. I haven't seen anything from him thus far that show he has anything to offer that isn't 'blah'.

Seems less than average to me also. I think you were the one who threw out that the Wings might be showcasing Andersson as trade bait (maybe it was Winger, or Heaton... it was one of you know-it-all mods, all your posts blur together in my mind :)), but I don't think he's shown anything worthwhile to this point.

Well, I guess he looks like a bottom 6er for the Islanders, so there's that. If Tatar is on display for other teams, at least he's shown flashes of being a guy who could help with scoring and hustle plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->