GDT: Game 12 | Los Angeles Kings @ Detroit Red Wings | 12:30 PM EST | NBC/TSN

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Ground out a hard win. It wasn't pretty, but it's good to see that they have this type of win in them.
I do not know if it was pretty, but it was very sweet.
Yep, the Kings have terrible luck. They kicked our butts all over the ice. If not for Howard they win 5 or 6 to 3. I hope this means Jimmah is officially back on top of his game.
Good to see Howard play as well as he can.
Absolutely hilarious line from Pierre, talking about Cleary "knowing where to go when you lose a draw." :laugh::laugh: Apparently, lose a board battle terribly and E scores the winner with little to no help from Cleary.

For some reason, Cleary is one of McGuire's favorites- not on the Crosby-level of man crushes, but there's a little something there.
I can't say Cleary was ever involved in the play. It was Filppula who screened Quick.
Howard's played exactly one bad game so far this year. Every other game he's been good enough or excellent. Not his fault the D-Corp has been terrible terrible up until the last 2 games and the forwards had trouble putting pucks in.
Howard maybe was not bad, but he was not nearly as good. Last 2 games he seemed like he was on top of his game.
This is a huge game for Howard, more of the same, please Jimmy!:yo:

Quick was not so quick to close that 5-hole.
Quick was screened. Thanks Filppula.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
It's more than this game - have you watched them this year? They're once again the lowest scoring team in the entire NHL and tied for last in the Western Conference.
That has nothing to do with last season, which is what you commented on. They were the best team in the league after the Carter trade. Only one team had their number and that was San Jose. They were dominant during the playoffs, leading each series 3-0.

You're entitled to your opinion but it sounds an awful lot like sour grapes.

Thats My Hat

Jan 27, 2012
London, Ontario
After they tied the game, I didn't think we had a chance to win in OT, so I lowered my volume and started on homework. Not even 30 seconds later, I hear the goal and looked up with the biggest grin on my face.

The Wings were outplayed, which makes the win much, much sweeter. :)

redwings85

In Ozzie I trust.
Nov 11, 2008
America's Hat.
It's more than this game - have you watched them this year? They're once again the lowest scoring team in the entire NHL and tied for last in the Western Conference.

My thoughts exactly...

If you've seen all the games LA has played you know they aren't that great.
Sure they dominated in the 2nd an parts of the 1st. But it wasn't a enough.
Funny how many analysts/fans think lA will repeat this year...
Unless they have a magic bounce back I cannot see it happening.

I personally think quick isn't fully recovered from his back surgery either.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.

And a lot of our games looked just like this one. I don't know what they'd have to do to get your attention :dunno: things will even out for us eventually.

Great win Detroit. Hope it's the kick in butt we need just like when you slaughtered us 8-2. Good to see the new guys fitting right in and keeping that Detroit mystique going. and god damn Datsyuk. Good luck :)

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
Such a giant 2 points, especially while not allowing for LA to pick up a point.

Easily one of the best games of Howard's career IMO. Detroit was running on "e" for over half the game and Howard kept them in it.

Babcock made another winning call giving him the nod today.

I can't stress how big taking these 2 pts are. Huge.

Run the Jewels

Make Detroit Great Again
Jun 22, 2006
In the Garage
When the Wings win this way, it's luck. When other teams beat the Wings this way, it's that they've got a hot goalie.

Let's tone it down on the double standards here. Sit back and enjoy the win.

If you watched the game and followed along this game thread you'll see that I gave Howard plenty of credit. He was the best player in the game today. That's the reason why we won. I have no problem enjoying the win, some people seem really sensitive about the fact the Kings dominated large stretches of the game, I have no problem acknowledging reality.

SoupGuru

May 12, 2007
Spokane
I can't believe you guys won't give Cleary credit for anything on that last scoring play. I know the guy isn't as talented as we'd all like him to be but he plays hard and tries hard.

We lost the faceoff and instead of a clean pass and out, Cleary gets in there, disrupts the play, and before you know it, we've got possession at the point and we score.

He did something right for once and you can't even say one nice thing.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
A win is a win. Accept it.
Too many people whinning about a victory...? Doesn't add up!

We'll take the win, but you don't really want to make winning that way a habit. You cannot depend on your goalie to stop 45/47 every game. You need to play better all around. Counting on Howie or any goalie to do that is a disaster strategy for deep playoff runs.

So yeah, what you call "whining" is pointing out that this win was undeserved and doesn't absolve the rest of their team for their bad play.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
I can't believe you guys won't give Cleary credit for anything on that last scoring play. I know the guy isn't as talented as we'd all like him to be but he plays hard and tries hard.

We lost the faceoff and instead of a clean pass and out, Cleary gets in there, disrupts the play, and before you know it, we've got possession at the point and we score.

People have decided Cleary sucks - it's over for him now.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
The main reason why the Kings dominated as they did is because the Wings played their 3rd game in 4 nights and the Kings dominated the faceoffs.
Every team has the same plan and it is to play very intense and hope the opponent will collapse due to fatigue. The Kings did that to teh Wings, but the Wings found the way to win.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
We'll take the win, but you don't really want to make winning that way a habit. You cannot depend on your goalie to stop 45/47 every game. You need to play better all around. Counting on Howie or any goalie to do that is a disaster strategy for deep playoff runs.

So yeah, what you call "whining" is pointing out that this win was undeserved and doesn't absolve the rest of their team for their bad play.

This is exactly how LA won last year. It's probably the worse scenario for a recipe of success. LA lost like 13 times last year where they let in one goal or fewer!.

Z40

High Compete Level
Feb 10, 2012
Detroit
Howard was superb. I'm glad we could pull out a win for him. Denying LA any points in the last few seconds must have really deflated them. Hopefully, they take it out on St. Louis tomorrow and soften them up for us on Wednesday. I'll be at the Joe for that game... Can't wait!

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids
And a lot of our games looked just like this one. I don't know what they'd have to do to get your attention :dunno: things will even out for us eventually.

Great win Detroit. Hope it's the kick in butt we need just like when you slaughtered us 8-2. Good to see the new guys fitting right in and keeping that Detroit mystique going. and god damn Datsyuk. Good luck :)

Probably a common thought running through the minds of fans of opposing teams over the years :laugh:

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

I did! Even though I also kind of ripped him right after, but I gave him credit for that play ;)

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
This is exactly how LA won last year. It's probably the worse scenario for a recipe of success. LA lost like 13 times last year where they let in one goal or fewer!.

Not in the playoffs though. I watched them in the playoffs and it was definitely not just Quick.

Heaton

Feb 13, 2004
Auburn Hills
It's pretty much a fact given his play this season. He's terrible. His play would be tolerable if he was playing 6 or 7 minutes a night on the 4th line. But that's not the case.

It's been like 12 games and he's played well the past 3. Making up your mind after a few games is the definition of a knee-jerk reaction.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007

Yeah, he did his job. He lost the battle though and Doughty made a bad play (which was hurried up by the presence of Datsyuk) which led to the goal.

So lets all hail Cleary for attempting to battle for puck like you're supposed to as a winger in that situation.

Great job Clears!

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010

Thank you! That's exactly what I was thinking after flipping through the last couple pages of this thread.

Brick Top

LANA!!!!!
Mar 2, 2012
Grand Rapids

Today isn't "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all" day, is it? :)

Here's what I got from him on the winning goal play- go after the puck after a lost faceoff (every wing in the league does the same thing in that situation), badly lose the board battle, but we still scored anyway. I guess he didn't fall down, so that was good.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad