GDT: Game 12: Flames @ Sabres - 10/30 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
That thompson sobotka okposo line is a killer

Thompson is still on the roster because Botts has to prove he didn't make a mistake, and the "best" part is by keeping him up instead of sending him to Rochester where he needs to be they are going to risk wrecking his career. The stupidity here is mindblowing.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Thompson is still on the roster because Botts has to prove he didn't make a mistake, and the "best" part is by keeping him up instead of sending him to Rochester where he needs to be they are going to risk wrecking his career. The stupidity here is mindblowing.
I really hope thats not true. Terrible if it is. Thompson belongs in the AHL.

ZZamboni

Puttin' on the Foil
Sep 25, 2010
Buffalo, NY
I said this earlier today ...

I’ll be going to this one tonight. I’ve yet to witness a win in person this season.
I’m the jinx. Blame me.
We lose tonight 3-1. Sorry.

Yep ... sorry.

On a good note.... I sit right underneath the Ted Darling memorial pressbox and RJ dressed up as Frankenstein throwing out candy to my section. I caught a snickers and my wife caught a skittles. So that’s a plus :biglaugh:

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

Yep ... sorry.

On a good note.... I sit right underneath the Ted Darling memorial pressbox and RJ dressed up as Frankenstein throwing out candy to my section. I caught a snickers and my wife caught a skittles. So that’s a plus :biglaugh:
I havent had much luck and I’ll be there Saturday. Apologies in advance:laugh:

Buttons85

RJ & Rayzor Fan Club
Jan 31, 2013
Austin, TX
G: Despite an overall poor performance, this game was still better to watch than about 85% of the games from the last 5 years.

B: Ristolainen needs a stern talking-to.

U: This team is managed much, much more competently than the Bills.

Edit: Whoops, wrong thread.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
You’re damn right Eichel is a target of mine. He’s our top paid guy, he is now our captain and our most talented forward. If he and the organization think he can handle the responsibility, then I think we should expect the very best out of him. It’s not coming from a place of hatred, it’s coming from expecting the very best out of the guy. I have said his talents should give him opportunities to be a multiple point per game player. His play is too inconsistent to allow him to be what he can be, and it’s been like that for 4 years now.
So, you criticize our best player every time he makes a mistake, never praise him for the genuine improvement in consistency and intensity he's made over the last ~1.5 years, and also never criticize the guy who has shown up for a total of 40 games in the same time period, because you don't have as high expectations for him and you "like" him? Makes complete sense.

Look, none of us have a problem with fair criticism, but being completely one-sided about it (as you said, "targeting" him) is not reasonable and just makes it obvious you have an axe to grind.

Reactions: RedRaider

Khrox

May 31, 2018
As a Flames fan, this game was weird. That no-goal was bull, but the amount of calls that were questionable at best that went against you guys really ruined a good game. I mean, I'm happy the Flames won, but the officiating ruined what could have been a good game.

Hutton looked amazing tonight, and I still really like that Girgensons pick that *should* have been Calgary's. Hopefully you guys get a win streak going on maybe knock Boston or Tampa down a peg or two. I'd say Toronto, but I mean, their inevitable playoff collapse will do that to them anyways.

sabrebuild

Apr 21, 2014
Pittsburgh
I only managed to see about the last minute of the first period.

Judging by the thread, watching will not be fun. Lots of players getting trashed. We still over .500 right?

JThorne

Stop accepting failure
Jul 21, 2006
Downtown Buffalo
It didn't look as much an issue of energy/fatigue as it did hunger to win - the Flames were willing to battle on every shift where several Sabres were not giving 100% on their shifts. While there a few questionable penalties, many were undisciplined where focus seemed to be elsewhere.

Mental fatigue is just as much of a thing as physical. Hustle is removed when fatigue is there in both cases. Errors on the ice come from both.

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015

Tage Thompson is still on the roster for the same reason Nate Peterman is still a Buffalo Bill.

Reactions: sabremike

26CornerBlitz

Sponsor
Apr 14, 2012
South Jersey

Post-Game Report: 10/30 vs. Calgary

Final Score
1st2nd3rdOTSOFinalSOG
Flames
(7-5-1)
Sabres
(6-4-2)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Game Summary
Event Summary

Top Notes
  • Tonight’s overtime loss extended the Sabres’ point streak to five games (3-0-2) for the first time since the team had points in nine straight games (7-0-2) from March 10 to 27, 2012.
  • The Sabres finished October with a 6-4-2 record (.583). It was the team’s best opening month since the 2011-12 season (6-4-0) and the team’s best full month since March 2016 (7-4-4).
  • With his goal, Jack Eichel has scored in three straight matchups with the Flames and has recorded 12 points (4+8) in his last 11 games overall.
  • Jason Pominville’s assist on Eichel’s goal was his 500th point as a member of the Sabres. Pominville is now tied with Danny Gare for the ninth-most points in franchise history.
    • Pominville’s assist also extended his point streak to five games (4+5), marking his first five-game point streak since Feb. 4 to 12, 2017.
Tonight’s Goaltenders
Tonight’s Stats
TeamGoaltenderDecisionSV%GAA
FlamesRittichW.9660.98
SabresHuttonO.9471.91
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Updated Season Stats
TeamGoaltenderRecordSV%GAA
FlamesRittich3-1-0.9392.08
SabresHutton4-4-1.9102.94
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Post-Game Audio
Sabres head coach Phil Housley
Sabres forward Jack Eichel
Sabres forward Jason Pominville
Sabres goaltender Carter Hutton
Flames head coach Bill Peters
Flames forward Johnny Gaudreau
Flames defenseman Mark Giordano
Flames goaltender David Rittich

wnysupport

Jun 27, 2011

Yep ... sorry.

Last year they were 1-9 in the games I went to, lol

This year I’ve also gone to the opener, Avs game and was in Vegas, lol.....but at least last game I went to was the Montreal game!

I’m over in 316, so maybe it’s that side haha

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
So, you criticize our best player every time he makes a mistake, never praise him for the genuine improvement in consistency and intensity he's made over the last ~1.5 years, and also never criticize the guy who has shown up for a total of 40 games in the same time period, because you don't have as high expectations for him and you "like" him? Makes complete sense.

Look, none of us have a problem with fair criticism, but being completely one-sided about it (as you said, "targeting" him) is not reasonable and just makes it obvious you have an axe to grind.

Don’t care one bit how it makes me look. Like I’m the only one here that is selective of who I comment on and when, or treat unfairly. Nobody is forcing anybody to read everybody’s opinion or comments.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
How much of that TOI was PK that 21 & 72 didn’t get?
This is at ES.

It would be cool if Phil realized his worst forwards are his worst forwards.

Most people at least attempt to be fair and reasonable, but whatever floats your boat.
Love reading a pointless back and forth about how critical one is allowed to be about Eichel. Way to go after these downers.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
I like to think they at least think they are being fair and reasonable, but for some I'm sure that's not the case. ;)
And yet, people continue to argue the poster and not the post, something that mods remind others to do, but I guess it’s okay for a mod to argue the poster and not the comment the poster made to start the discussion.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
And yet, people continue to argue the poster and not the post, something that mods remind others to do, but I guess it’s okay for a mod to argue the poster and not the comment the poster made to start the discussion.

So you admit to essentially singling out a single player and being one-sided on the matter. Indicate you don't care what anyone else thinks. Then you get mad that people don't care to engage with the content of your posts? Little bizzare no?

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
It didn't look as much an issue of energy/fatigue as it did hunger to win - the Flames were willing to battle on every shift where several Sabres were not giving 100% on their shifts. While there a few questionable penalties, many were undisciplined where focus seemed to be elsewhere.

Calgary lost their legs a bit in the 2nd period but dug down and found them again. Certainly in the 3rd. They never stopped pressuring the Sabres in their own end and it just shows that hard work gets rewarded even it happens with less than 1 minute in the game.

I have no ties to that franchise but their work ethic just impresses me so much.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
I'm replacing Jack with Thomspon on the PP right now. At least Thompson isnt afraid to shoot the puck.
Is this just a joke I'm not pickkng up on? It is too ridiculous to even be justified as bitterness after a bad loss. Thompson shouldn't even be in the NHL and has sucked on PP2 so far. Sure, have him replace our best PP player for no good reason. Eichel has 13 more shots than the next-closest player (Skinner). He led the team in shots last season. He will lead the team in shots next season. He is the primary focus of the other team's PK because they know he is the biggest PP threat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad