GDT: Game 12: Flames @ Sabres - 10/30 7pm ET (MSG-B, WGR 550)

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
[QUOTE="MurrayForPrez, post: 151471731, member: 224119]

Reinhart has provided next to nothing this season other than a few really nice passes. It's still early in the season, but I can see this being the year he doesn't increase his career-high point total to date. He's be so irrelevant, it really sucks.[/QUOTE]

I have no idea why Housley put Reinhart instead of Skinner to open OT. With open ice and 4-on-3, speed and movement are important. Everyone and their cousin knows Reinhart is not the swiftest skater.

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
That thompson sobotka okposo line is a killer

Hoping erod slots back in...too much dead weight there

vcv

Mar 12, 2006
Williamsville, NY
Can’t say I blame him. Poor support in front of him then having to deal with the local press knuckleheads PHam and Harrington
I thought everyone has been happy with Hutton but he claimed the media has been criticizing him. Haven’t seen who... wonder who has done that.

Tatanka

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2016
Ditto....and not just on that play. While he's improved his physical battles on the wall, his passing and especially his zone entries continue to be low percentage plays. He's not McDavid where he can stick handle through three defenders waiting for him at the blue line - yet he keeps running straight into the gauntlet. Yes, the coaches want him to shoot more but he took the same shot into a crowd on back to back occasions on the power play in OT.

It's bad enough that the team has no offensive depth behind Eichel at center but when he over extends shifts and insists on trying to do it all himself with low percentage efforts, the team is not going to succeed often.
Instead of dumping on the only guy to score your ire is more aptly directed at those that didn’t. Plenty of them.

littletonhockeycoach

NOT the Hanson Bros.....
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2008
Littleton, Co
Ditto....and not just on that play. While he's improved his physical battles on the wall, his passing and especially his zone entries continue to be low percentage plays. He's not McDavid where he can stick handle through three defenders waiting for him at the blue line - yet he keeps running straight into the gauntlet. Yes, the coaches want him to shoot more but he took the same shot into a crowd on back to back occasions on the power play in OT.

It's bad enough that the team has no offensive depth behind Eichel at center but when he over extends shifts and insists on trying to do it all himself with low percentage efforts, the team is not going to succeed often.

Tip!!! Have missed your insights. Glad you are back!!!

CrazyPsycho

Elite Drafter
Sep 25, 2003
[QUOTE="MurrayForPrez, post: 151471731, member: 224119]

Reinhart has provided next to nothing this season other than a few really nice passes. It's still early in the season, but I can see this being the year he doesn't increase his career-high point total to date. He's be so irrelevant, it really sucks.

I have no idea why Housley put Reinhart instead of Skinner to open OT. With open ice and 4-on-3, speed and movement are important. Everyone and their cousin knows Reinhart is not the swiftest skater.[/QUOTE]

Skinner mitts eichel dahlin seems pretty frigging obvious no?

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Nobody was good on that goal, including Hutton’s failed Hasek impression. But for my money, thats on Reinhart most of all. If he stays put at the blue line, its 2 on 2 going the other way.

As others have said, we 100% stole a point tonight.

It’s shame that they had to steal a point at all considering the situation

snoop244

Oct 16, 2010
This team sucks at 3 on 3. And Risto is ****ing garbage. Reino needs to tie up his man driving to the net. Why did Hutton go full derpy Hasek?
Because he plays so far out he can't go side to side and hold his form. He had a great game but lateral moves will be his weakness. Goalies who play that far out look sensational when they try to get across so I'm sure everyone will love him.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
IMO, Larsson and Girgensens were excellent tonight. They played great defensive pest type hockey against a physical team...
Agreed - Girgensons, if nothing else, has been quick, physical and aggressive on fore checks. As much as Larsson gets hate from most fans, he remains their best penalty killing forward just as he was with O'Reilly since Bylsma. He's also the most reliable face off guy the team has at the moment (Eichel could learn a little in that area from him).

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Tell me which part I was wrong about in that observation.
Out worked? No, messed up or misplayed? Yes. But you have your little narratives you haven’t been able to push for several games so here we are with the lazy Jack crap. When he’s dominated our has had consistently strong play you are no where to be found. Frankly its just sad that when they’ve had success this year you seem to disappear from GDTs. Then when it goes against them you reappear to dump on your usual targets.

Reactions: wnysupport

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Yes, that is indeed a nuance of the game that many miss....... Sam might have been lazy skating but I suspect he's just not that fast. And he did manage to force the Calgary player to stray a bit wider.

Jack's not a D man but he might has well been holding his jockstrap for all the utility he provided on that final play.

If he doesn't know what to do in that situation (either block the pass or take away Gaudreau's stick), then somebody teach him from crying out loud.

He's not the messiah and blameless in all things....
No Sam was lazy. He pulled up just past the blue line. I refer to him as a ghost earlier in the game. He really has been a non factor this year.

As for Jack, he certainly messed up after the initial pass by not taking away the return pass to Johnny Hockey. I would chalk it up to lack of awareness.

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY
From early on in the game the forwards were not doing much in support of the defense when we gained control of the puck deep in our zone concerning breakouts. They seemed to be skating in quicksand.

So much blame to hand out. We are fortunate to grab a point. I suspect we’d be celebrating if it was us that tied it late and even still lost with the effort we saw.

What I did like is that players seemed genuinely pissed in the dressing room.

Three games coming up that I expect to grab 5 of 6 points.

Sabretip

Jan 13, 2010
Phoenix, AZ
It felt like Buffalo was the team that played last night, not Calgary.

It didn't look as much an issue of energy/fatigue as it did hunger to win - the Flames were willing to battle on every shift where several Sabres were not giving 100% on their shifts. While there a few questionable penalties, many were undisciplined where focus seemed to be elsewhere.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
No Sam was lazy. He pulled up just past the blue line. I refer to him as a ghost earlier in the game. He really has been a non factor this year.

As for Jack, he certainly messed up after the initial pass by not taking away the return pass to Johnny Hockey. I would chalk it up to lack of awareness.
Not giving Sam that long term contract isn't looking like such a bad outcome right now. That said, we're only 12 games in, and I want nothing more than for him to earn himself a big payday. But he's not been close to the player we need him to be so far.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Risto was terrible tonight. I cannot see how he is responsible for that GA in OT, though. He carried the puck in deep, Reinhart pinched way up trying to help and had to race back. Reinhart made the error there, not Risto.
Didn’t like that Rasmus X2 at all. Dahlin wasn’t very stellar himself with several bad turnovers. Yes he makes those awesome plays out of no where but he had a lot of yips. Add that to Risto going full Risto and it was a scary pairing.

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
Why? Sam is the guy floating back who should have picked up the Flame. I’m not going to get mad at Jack for not playing a 2 on 1 great. He’s not a dman.
Risto should have been smarter and passed to Jack instead of going too wide to beat the Flames dman. Then he loses the puck.

I’m really getting tired of Sam’s play. Not remotely a difference maker.
If you're the D on 3v3 OT, and you're not fast, you shouldn't attempt that push Risto did when Jack was free, and you probably should never find yourself sitting on your butt behind the other team's net.

Reactions: joshjull

VaporTrail

Mar 2, 2011
I didn't get to watch the game but I did read through a bunch of comments....This is what I gathered :

Half our forwards and defensemen are rubbish...Botterill better start moving and shaking and doing his job....The NHL players stuck in Rochester need to come up and start playing now...Housley better be fired by tomorrow....Reinhardt and Risto are garbage and need to be traded for a bag of pucks....

Does that pretty much sum it up ?

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Out worked? No, messed up or misplayed? Yes. But you have your little narratives you haven’t been able to push for several games so here we are with the lazy Jack crap. When he’s dominated our has had consistently strong play you are no where to be found. Frankly its just sad that when they’ve had success this year you seem to disappear from GDTs. Then when it goes against them you reappear to dump on your usual targets.

I’m not there mostly because i haven’t been watching the majority of games let alone full games.

2nd, yeah he was out worked for the goal. At no point did I say he was to blame for that goal, just commenting the guy that had the last chance to stop the goal. Yes, I could’ve commented on risto’s poor decision making, Reinhart’s decision making and Hutton’s slide out of position.

Eichel has his stick on Johnny’s. How is Johnny out muscling him to knock the puck in the net? But I guess everyone is a okay with what I perceived as a poor effort.

You’re damn right Eichel is a target of mine. He’s our top paid guy, he is now our captain and our most talented forward. If he and the organization think he can handle the responsibility, then I think we should expect the very best out of him. It’s not coming from a place of hatred, it’s coming from expecting the very best out of the guy. I have said his talents should give him opportunities to be a multiple point per game player. His play is too inconsistent to allow him to be what he can be, and it’s been like that for 4 years now.

And yes, I don’t hold the same standard for someone like Reinhart because I don’t have the same expectations for him, even if I like him.

Reactions: lancaster14

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad