GDT: GAME #12 | CANUCKS vs LEAFS | HNIC SAT, FEB 6 @ 7PM EST | SCOTIABANK ARENA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Our PK is ranked 23 so no he isn't you can't be one of NHL's best PK players when the PK sucks.

It hasn't mattered at all because the PP has been clicking at 40+% all season but the PK sucks Which is amazing because Manny Malholtra was a PK guy

PK rankings so far:

Fewest Expected Goals Against/60:
1. Calgary
2. Toronto
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Winnipeg:
7. Vancouver

Fewest Goals Against/60:
1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Vancouver
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa

Save%:
1. Winnipeg
2. Vancouver
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary
6. Ottawa
7. Toronto

Toronto has slipped in the goals against rankings the last 5 games from the best team down to 5th. Hows that sayin go about your best penalty killer?

Confucius

There is no try, Just do
Feb 8, 2009
Toronto
I expect a win by at least 2 goals, our top 6 had a fairly easy game last time. If the canucks can kick it up a notch we may use our top 6 more tonight.

Burnie97

Jun 26, 2015
Canada
PK rankings so far:

Fewest Expected Goals Against/60:
1. Calgary
2. Toronto
3. Montreal
4. Ottawa
5. Edmonton
6. Winnipeg:
7. Vancouver

Fewest Goals Against/60:
1. Winnipeg
2. Calgary
3. Vancouver
4. Montreal
5. Toronto
6. Edmonton
7. Ottawa

Save%:
1. Winnipeg
2. Vancouver
3. Montreal
4. Edmonton
5. Calgary
6. Ottawa
7. Toronto

Toronto has slipped in the goals against rankings the last 5 games from the best team down to 5th. Hows that sayin go about your best penalty killer?

Yeah I like Andy... but that's a bad look there.

He needs to be much better.

Just because they're getting enough goals doesn't mean he needs to let in a softy.

I'm more about the big saves when you really need them... usually... then just strictly save percentage etc.

However 888 save % is bad. So is 3.01 GAA. Even if the north division is higher scoring.

Here's hoping Andy really starts keeping the puck out more because it seems the shots have been cut down too. Not exactly sure about high danger chances but that seems better too this year.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
It’s the exact same concept. Just because a team is bad at penalty killing doesn’t mean that player isn’t good at it. He’s not on the ice for the full 2 minutes.
The PK is weird. The tactics seem odd to me so IMO, it's problems are a reflection of coaching. This isn't saying that the coaching is bad...only that they might be trying to do something that is different and the team isnt executing it properly. I don't think the problems are worth getting worried about. The sample sizes are still somewhat small.
I'm 100% ok with the team trying to innovate.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Surprised Sandin hasn’t gotten a look yet. They must see something that his missing in his game during practice

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
dang. really want to see engvall get a look in vesey's place there.
I'd really like to see Engvall with Nylander and Tavares for a game to see what happens. I think his speed could play well there and he does have a cannon of a shot if he gets chances to let it go.

But I agree he does look better with Mikheyev than Vesey does. Just both guys are snake bitten so far this year.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
We can't give up a field goal again, but it feels like a good day to put up a touchdown.

7-0 this time. Andersen finally has a good game. Matthews with the hat trick, Vesey, Lehtonen, Nylander and Marner also score.

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I just want to see a work ethic that at a minimum matches VAN.

This is, in the past, the type of game this team mails in and comes out with a disappointing loss.

Lets see what has changed. I am not focusing on the win here, though I do want one of course, but if they play hard in a game where they know that might be enough to get the win, I will believe this team has turned a corner from years past.

On-the-Fly

Feb 6, 2007
I just want to see a work ethic that at a minimum matches VAN.

This is, in the past, the type of game this team mails in and comes out with a disappointing loss.

Lets see what has changed. I am not focusing on the win here, though I do want one of course, but if they play hard in a game where they know that might be enough to get the win, I will believe this team has turned a corner from years past.

This is along the lines of what I'll be watching for as well. Can't really anticipate a trick from the fourth line this game.
With the fairly easy win last game and a fragile or tired opponent, can they find and hold that killer instinct?

Reactions: wingman75

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Gonna do a quick Andersen check for all situations.

32 keepers have played 300+ minutes up to this point. How does Freddy stack up so far in this big contract year for him?

Low Danger Shots Against/60: 11.26 (7th Fewest out of 32)
Low Danger Save%: .990 (7th best out of 32)

Medium Danger Shots Against/60: 6.47 (5th Fewest out of 32)
Medium Danger Save%: .828 (29th best out of 32)

High Danger Shots Against/60: 8.03 (20th fewest out of 32)
High Danger Save%: .778 (20th best out of 32)

Total Shots Against/60: 27.09 (5th fewest out of 32)
Total Save%: .889 (28th out of 32)

GSAA/60 Ranking: -.40 (28th out of 32)

Crazy how low and high danger shot rankings line up perfectly with Andersen's ranking with dealing with them. The worrying trend of Andersen giving up those medium danger chances has reached new levels though. The Leafs are certainly a better team defensively overall and their style has them give up those high danger chances that Andersen has been average at dealing with but those medium danger chances, man. If he could get his act together there, I'd feel a lot more comfortable but he really hasn't been sharp yet.

Hockey Crazy

Dec 30, 2008
Gonna do a quick Andersen check for all situations.

32 keepers have played 300+ minutes up to this point. How does Freddy stack up so far in this big contract year for him?

Low Danger Shots Against/60: 11.26 (7th Fewest out of 32)
Low Danger Save%: .990 (7th best out of 32)

Medium Danger Shots Against/60: 6.47 (5th Fewest out of 32)
Medium Danger Save%: .828 (29th best out of 32)

High Danger Shots Against/60: 8.03 (20th fewest out of 32)
High Danger Save%: .778 (20th best out of 32)

Total Shots Against/60: 27.09 (5th fewest out of 32)
Total Save%: .889 (28th out of 32)

GSAA/60 Ranking: -.40 (28th out of 32)

Crazy how low and high danger shot rankings line up perfectly with Andersen's ranking with dealing with them. The worrying trend of Andersen giving up those medium danger chances has reached new levels though. The Leafs are certainly a better team defensively overall and their style has them give up those high danger chances that Andersen has been average at dealing with but those medium danger chances, man. If he could get his act together there, I'd feel a lot more comfortable but he really hasn't been sharp yet.
Where can you find this data?

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
My guess it the canucks try a trap defense to try to stifle the forwards. If true, we shall see if the leafs are prepared for that.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
GSAA Goalie Rankings for North #1 Goalies (and compared league wide from previous list):

1. Markstrom: .48 (5th out of 32)
2. Helle: .26 (13th out of 32)
3. Price:-.13 (21st out of 32)
4. Koskinen -.21 (23rd out of 32)
5. Demko: -.25/Holtby: -.27 (works out for this list that they end up 24th and 25th out of 32)
6. Andersen: -.40 (28th out of 32)
7. Murray: -1.23 (31st out of 32)

Crazy that Murray isnt even the bottom of the list with that number. The last place honor actually belongs to Jarry over with the Pens.

Zybalto

Dec 28, 2012
Enough negativity though. Andersen is gonna bounce back the rest of the way anyways. He has looked better the second half of games and we are getting ready for November Andy to start taking over for the second month of the season.

Also nice to remember that the Canucks took Virtanen ahead of Nylander in the draft that year. Lets watch them tonight and see who looks better....

Reactions: Burnie97

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Keefe implied off-ice work ethic is an issue. I extrapolate that they need him to get stronger and he's just not getting it done.
Thanks. I haven’t been able to pay as much attention this season but he seems to have fallen off the map a bit

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
Thanks. I haven’t been able to pay as much attention this season but he seems to have fallen off the map a bit

Strength honestly makes the most sense. It would explain why they're keeping him out of games, as my understanding is that you can't really do strength training when you're training for games.

Reactions: ACC1224

crump

~ ~ (ړײ) ~ ~
Feb 26, 2004
Ontariariario
Please dismantle what’s left of the Canucks fragile confidence. They are going to come out hard, need Andersen to be his best. We don’t need Boeser or Pettersson being a hero.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad