GDT: Game # 12: Blues @ Devils, 7:30PM, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

tailfins

Sponsor
Apr 20, 2005
Games like this are why I don't understand not trying out Gomez. Maybe we're just cycling through all our other options before signing him?

Ruutu - Gomez - Brunner
Gionta - Josefson - Bernier

That Gomez line was the one we all wanted as the 4th line out of training camp. So, just eject the current third line (really, eject Clowe) and roll with two 4ths.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
The Blues could very well be the new Sharks if they don't start winning in the playoffs. Of course having to go through Chicago or LA doesn't help either.

MadDevil

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 10, 2007
Bismarck, ND
Games like this are why I don't understand not trying out Gomez. Maybe we're just cycling through all our other options before signing him?

Ruutu - Gomez - Brunner
Gionta - Josefson - Bernier

That Gomez line was the one we all wanted as the 4th line out of training camp. So, just eject the current third line (really, eject Clowe) and roll with two 4ths.

I think it's more a sign that Gomez is shot. The preseason was most likely a mirage.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
The Blues need top-end offensive talent to win Cups...but Tarasenko at least looks like he's going to develop into a top end talent. The Kings didn't become the Kings till they traded for Carter and Gaborik at the '12/14 deadlines.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Travis Zajac needs to get off the first line, he's anemic offensively.

Zubrus is a much bigger problem.

Get someone better in that spot on the top line, and Zajac and Jägr will look a whole lot better.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
Fair enough. If that's true, though, they should send him home rather than allow him to hang on.

Gomez doesn't have a contract, he can go home himself anytime he wants. Or sign somewhere else if he had a contract offer anywhere else.

Chessarmy

Mar 16, 2009
Florida
I don't know if Patrik Elias has had a worse start to a season in his career, this is really a new low for him in my opinion. He's not making any plays out there, I'm not sure if age is a factor or what but there's clearly something wrong

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I don't know if Patrik Elias has had a worse start to a season in his career, this is really a new low for him in my opinion. He's not making any plays out there, I'm not sure if age is a factor or what but there's clearly something wrong

His line was the best line of the night. Henrique seemed to help his play along. Ryder was fine, but I think Havlat would do better there when he returns.

Everyone was bad on the power play tonight. I don't know why it had so much trouble gaining the zone. Especially because they were doing a good job of gaining the zone at evens.

Benedict Parisechuk

Army of Pandolfo's
Apr 5, 2013
Chicago, IL

He's still putting up points but yea, his goal scoring has gone Casper the ghost. The days of him putting up 60-70 points are probably over but he still should be a 50 point player right now.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
His line was the best line of the night. Henrique seemed to help his play along. Ryder was fine, but I think Havlat would do better there when he returns.

Everyone was bad on the power play tonight. I don't know why it had so much trouble gaining the zone. Especially because they were doing a good job of gaining the zone at evens.

This might have been the best the offense has looked all year, and you'd never know it here on this board.

In regards to the PP, the first one was good, and then it was all downhill. For some reason they stopped doing their normal reverse pass before entering the zone. Everyone just tried carrying it in themselves. Which is odd, considering how well its worked in every other game.

wellonegm05*

There is so much wrong with what you said, its hard to pick a spot to start. Brunner stuck on the 4th line? did you watch him play tonight? Pointing out Salvador on the PK goal for no reason other than that he was on the ice? And where the hell does the 08 comparison come from? Why was that even on your mind?

And somehow it all leads to Deboer.

Fairly simple.
Brunner is not the type of player who is going to have any use playing on the 4th line. He is a far better option for the top 6 than Zubrus, whereas Zubrus is perfect for a 4th line role due to his style.

Salvador again being on the ice for a goal against, yes. Shocking, I know. Its like 80% of our GA. What exactly does he add to this team again?

The 08 comparison comes to mind bc again, just as what the mindset was back then in the scenario I mentioned, everyone gets caught up in the fact that today the score was close. Or how Dallas was close. Just a bounce away from going our way. However its foolish to really believe that at the end of the day the outcome will be any different next time. Just like how management and the coach were telling everyone last year that the only reason we didnt make the playoffs was bad luck in the shootout, when the bottom line is that we had no business being in the playoffs and had we gotten in, would have been finished off quickly anyway. This season has all the writing on the walls just the same as the previous two, if you'd like to believe that this time its different, be my guest.

And all of this essentially ups up on the coach. When you refuse to ice the best players on a nightly basis, you do not deserve to win. Salvador, Ruutu, Bernier (cant believe we even wasted time bringing him back up) should not be playing. Period. Gionta and Zubrus should be strictly limited to sheltered 4th line minutes. To the extent the coach feels like doing his own thing, and playing players where they dont belong, then this is what we deserve.

JK3

Go Easy-Step Lightly-Stay Free
Nov 15, 2007
Ice Station Zebra
Jagr passing to Zajac all year long.

mVrb2CF.gif

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
This might have been the best the offense has looked all year, and you'd never know it here on this board.

In regards to the PP, the first one was good, and then it was all downhill. For some reason they stopped doing their normal reverse pass before entering the zone. Everyone just tried carrying it in themselves. Which is odd, considering how well its worked in every other game.

It was out of sync. The first one took a full minute before it had any sustained zone pressure and it only resulted in a few forced Gely shots through bodies.

The rest ya nothing. I didn't see the Blues do anything different to warrant a change and I don't see how the change of Gely for Merrill should of changed that much. It looked really out of sync.

Which was even more weird because at evens we were passing and moving the puck up ice more efficiently then we have all year.

IDK PP was my biggest disappointment. Was our best chance to score and get a point out of this game.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Fairly simple.
Brunner is not the type of player who is going to have any use playing on the 4th line. He is a far better option for the top 6 than Zubrus, whereas Zubrus is perfect for a 4th line role due to his style.

Salvador again being on the ice for a goal against, yes. Shocking, I know. Its like 80% of our GA. What exactly does he add to this team again?

The 08 comparison comes to mind bc again, just as what the mindset was back then in the scenario I mentioned, everyone gets caught up in the fact that today the score was close. Or how Dallas was close. Just a bounce away from going our way. However its foolish to really believe that at the end of the day the outcome will be any different next time. Just like how management and the coach were telling everyone last year that the only reason we didnt make the playoffs was bad luck in the shootout, when the bottom line is that we had no business being in the playoffs and had we gotten in, would have been finished off quickly anyway. This season has all the writing on the walls just the same as the previous two, if you'd like to believe that this time its different, be my guest.

And all of this essentially ups up on the coach. When you refuse to ice the best players on a nightly basis, you do not deserve to win. Salvador, Ruutu, Bernier (cant believe we even wasted time bringing him back up) should not be playing. Period. Gionta and Zubrus should be strictly limited to sheltered 4th line minutes. To the extent the coach feels like doing his own thing, and playing players where they dont belong, then this is what we deserve.

You have a right to your opinion. I appologize for attacking you a bit there. But, I just think there's way too many assumptions you are making and I think you're bit off when it comes to your team assessment.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
It was out of sync. The first one took a full minute before it had any sustained zone pressure and it only resulted in a few forced Gely shots through bodies.

The rest ya nothing. I didn't see the Blues do anything different to warrant a change and I don't see how the change of Gely for Merrill should of changed that much. It looked really out of sync.

Which was even more weird because at evens we were passing and moving the puck up ice more efficiently then we have all year.

IDK PP was my biggest disappointment. Was our best chance to score and get a point out of this game.

That was the only way the Devils were going to tie the game. I think they sustained some zone time on the last one, but I think it was mostly point shots not getting through, or getting through with no screens. The Blues did a great job of clogging the shooting lanes from the point. They seemed to be very aware that's where the Devils had been creating most of their scoring chances from.

Brick City

Ignore me!
May 21, 2012
New Jersey
Huh guess I'm the minority report here, did not think they played particularly well. The third period was one of the worst efforts I have ever witnessed in person. Sloppy passing (charitable to call it that), countless giveaways and complete inability to enter the zone. The final minute my friends and I were hoping for icing calls knowing there was no other way they were getting in there and setting up.

St. Louis should have probably had a lead after the first but Cory bailed the Devils out of a few defensive breakdowns. The second period was the most competitive imo and was feeling ok about the game after 40 minutes. But the third was an absolute train wreck and that remains the sour taste in my mouth.

Weird because I've seen this board meltdown over an effort I thought was alright and tonight the consensus seems fine with what I thought was the team not showing up for the third. Credit for holding the Blues to no goals after two but the third period again was absolutely atrocious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad