GDT: Game # 12: Blues @ Devils, 7:30PM, NBCSN

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir Fenwick Corsi

NJ Lottery PICK-3
Dec 29, 2010
New York
My biggest concern is with Clowe. It's hard to bag on the guy because when he was healthy last year, I thought he gave the Devils some good games, despite his lack of speed. But he looks to be finished right now and I think it has a lot to do with the fact that he's not playing his normal style. You can clearly see that his play is much more timid. So you have a declining player playing it safe. He's basically dead weight at this point.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
I was really pleasantly surprised he made that pinch. I thought he looked pretty good tonight. He still seems tentative a lot of times, hence my surprise at that play he made, but to me it looked like he spent a lot of time in the D-zone covering for Salvador. Overall I think he's definitely making a strong case to stay in the lineup.

Gelinas, I thought, also had a really strong game. It's getting to the point where I'd be really, really happy if Lou dumped a geezer D, but I guess pushing Gelinas into a full-time role after one good game maaaaaaaaybe isn't the best idea.

See how badly Merrill is hurt. Gely might have to play a few more games.

kiwidevil

I was really pleasantly surprised he made that pinch. I thought he looked pretty good tonight. He still seems tentative a lot of times, hence my surprise at that play he made, but to me it looked like he spent a lot of time in the D-zone covering for Salvador. Overall I think he's definitely making a strong case to stay in the lineup.

Gelinas, I thought, also had a really strong game. It's getting to the point where I'd be really, really happy if Lou dumped a geezer D, but I guess pushing Gelinas into a full-time role after one good game maaaaaaaaybe isn't the best idea.

Do you also see Gelinas always get away with borderline interference? in the 10mins I watched he was setting picks and slowing players down a lot which i've seen called plenty of times.

Loved his hit on Backes though.

devilsblood

Mar 10, 2010
I love it.

JJ gets "moved up" to the 3rd line, and Gio still plays more minutes.

Can't make this stuff up.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
At what point do we start worrying about how many games the penalty killing has cost us this season? It's cost us at least 3 games and almost cost us against Ottawa.

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
they played really well for 85 percent of the game. Couldn't finish, Allen robbed a few of them and Zids took a third period penalty with about 15 left in the game and tarasenko scored who easily could have had 5 goals tonight

And we had three PPs we did absolutely nothing on against a low ranked PK unit. That was unacceptable, especially with the success we had on the PP.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007
Zubrus is on pace for 13 points this season. He has one assist in his last 45 games.

He is a huge problem when the coach forces him in the top 6. It's safe to assume he's finished. I'm tired of the excuses for him.

On pace for THIRTEEN points this year. Let that sink in. 13 points while playing in the top 6 all season long. Why are Jägr and Zajac invisible? Cause they're playing with the extinct Zubrusaurus.

His role should be fourth line and pk. It's time for this move. This team is holding its head above water but needs some life. Via trade i really think w the right tweak in this lineup they can be good

Hockey Sports Fan

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Jun 30, 2010
Connecticut
Had a feeling Jagr was going to have a big drop off this year. His performance last year just wasn't sustainable. We get rid of Jagr and Ryder this year and Elias next year, so the only giant anchors are Zajac and Clowe.

The Devils take SIXTY PERCENT of all 5v5 shot attempts when the score is close with Jagr on the ice. That is into the stratosphere compared to the NHL as a whole. Zubrus is still a strong possession player but it's clear he's not helping that line at all when it comes to finishing. Get Camm back, get him next to those two, and over time, pucks will start going in. Jagr and Zajac both had the same slow start last season; it worked out fine in the end.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Zubrus is deadweight, yet Ruutu has to play on the 4th line. Hasn't gotten a chance to play in the top 9 all season, despite not being completely washed up yet.

StnTwnDevil

May 15, 2012
NJ
Zubrus is on pace for 13 points this season. He has one assist in his last 45 games.

He is a huge problem when the coach forces him in the top 6. It's safe to assume he's finished. I'm tired of the excuses for him.

On pace for THIRTEEN points this year. Let that sink in. 13 points while playing in the top 6 all season long. Why are Jägr and Zajac invisible? Cause they're playing with the extinct Zubrusaurus.

I think once the team is healthy, Deboer should consider moving him down to the 3rd or 4th line. Right now though, I really don't buy that Ruutu will be much of an upgrade when Zajac and Jagr still look a bit off, more so Zajac.

NJDevs26

Once upon a time...
Mar 21, 2007
How long before Chere starts grilling Pete about Zubrus now that it's been posted here? :sarcasm:

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
we didn't have a goal

the PK didn't cost us the game.

I can't say it completely cost us, though I think we get a point if we kill that penalty off. The Blues didn't generate much at even strength.

EnglishDevil

Nov 11, 2009
London, UK & Chicago, US
If we can't LTIR Clowe we should just buyout the last three years of his contract; get rid of Zubrus after this year too, both of them look totally washed up.

This team needs some speed and youth so badly.

Combat Koala

Tough buildings never die
Oct 29, 2014
Zidiot, Clowe, Sal... My god they're horrible. Zajac, youre getting paid 5.75m a year. Atleast act like it.

Also inb4 Larsson scratched due to his penalty. How much did he play after that call?

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Josefson got demoted because of Clowe. No one can play well with that 20 ton anchor on their line. Well, actually, I bet Tarasenko could...

Emperoreddy

Show Me What You Got!
Apr 13, 2010
New Jersey, Exit 16E
The Devils take SIXTY PERCENT of all 5v5 shot attempts when the score is close with Jagr on the ice. That is into the stratosphere compared to the NHL as a whole. Zubrus is still a strong possession player but it's clear he's not helping that line at all when it comes to finishing. Get Camm back, get him next to those two, and over time, pucks will start going in. Jagr and Zajac both had the same slow start last season; it worked out fine in the end.

Agree with this. Line needs a finisher.

Also ZBC is right. PK didn't cost us this game. It was 1-0. If anything blame the PP for not scoring despite multiple opportunities.

captainscott

Nov 5, 2007

I do recall hating Zajac early last year as well

Oneiro

Mar 28, 2013
I'm not too mad at this game.

We played alright and the Blues are impressive defensively. You can't hesitate offensively against that team.

The kids made some mistakes but they also did quite a bit to make up for it. For the most part, I think they held their own against one of the best teams in the league.

Like other people have said, I've been more annoyed at some of the games we've won than the one we lost tonight.

TheUnseenHand

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 5, 2010
Zidiot, Clowe, Sal... My god they're horrible. Zajac, youre getting paid 5.75m a year. Atleast act like it.

Also inb4 Larsson scratched due to his penalty. How much did he play after that call?

I recall him playing the very next shift and playing well, but I don't remember his exact time after that.

lachyrm

Jun 3, 2010
That team is a nightmare for our forwards to play against. They're fast and play with structure.

A couple of good things, though. Last game I thought Schneider was good, but that the Jackets bailed him out a bunch by not shooting. This game he was great, especially in the first.

Severson had a shaky first, but the positive is that he didn't let it cascade into a bad game. He looked exactly like he has the rest of the season for the final two periods.

I also liked Gelinas tonight. He has gone from constantly letting guys get by him on the boards to generally turning the puck over and sending it back up ice. He was also quick to recognize where the puck was going to pop into dangerous areas in his own zone a few times and got there before anyone else.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad