Pre-Game Talk: Game 12 - 2/10 7:10 PM - THE BEAR invades Manhattan - NBCSN, TVAS, 98.5 WBZ-FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

upload_2021-2-9_1-42-8.png

upload_2021-2-9_1-42-43.png

Aeroforce

Apr 28, 2012
Houston, TX
Feels good to have a PGT. Hope the game gets played as I read in another thread a Flyer was out due to Covid, and the B's just played them twice.

Usually when a team is on a winning streak an unexpected break isn't good. However the B's were trailing in the third in each of the last 4, plus Coyle and Grizz can use the rest.

On paper the B's should be fine against the Rangers; but we all remember how that worked out against lowly Detroit last year.;)

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bruins have beaten the Rangers the last 4 times, although the H2H record before that isn't so rosy, not that it matters. Boston does tend to put away these young, up-and-coming teams most of the time though. It's the outright bad ones they often seem to take naps against. As long as our D continues its solid form the Bruins should conjure up enough goals the other way to take the 2 points here.

Really interesting thing for me here is to see if they go with the lines from practice and play the returning DeBrusk with Coyle and Bjork. I still can't see Ritchie as an effective long-term 2LW but his combination with Krej and Smith has looked pretty decent so I'm happy to see them run with it for a bit while they finally give Jake an extended look at something away from Krejci that might be more suited to his north-south skill set.

That also means Frederic returns to the 4th line which for me is the right place for him at this time. For all the progress he's clearly made, IMO he just doesn't have the skills and game awareness to be a consistent top 9 forward yet. But bringing energy and aggression on the 4th is right in his wheelhouse. Looking forward to seeing how all this shakes out.

ON3M4N

Ignores/60 = Elite
Dec 13, 2015
Connecticut
The Rangers are a better team than their record shows. Their currently 2-1-0 since removing ADA from the team and could have been 3-0 but NYI played really well last night. Here are each teams numbers at 5v5 so far:

Team
CF%
SF/60
SA/60
xGF/60
GF/60
xGA/60
GA/60
SCF%
HDCF%
Boston Bruins​
55.95​
31.11​
21.99​
2.11​
1.99​
1.61​
1.99​
53.26​
52.99​
New York Rangers​
50.45​
31.32​
29.05​
2.22​
2.27​
2.21​
2.53​
48.75​
49.35​
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

If The Rangers can keep their confidence up, it should make for an interesting 2-game set. The Rangers have talent and it seems like NYR/BOS games have had some nasty to them recently.

Gee Wally

Old, Grumpy Moderator
Sponsor
Feb 27, 2002
HF retirement home
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/08/sports/bruins-expect-jake-debrusk-matt-grzelcyk-return-

Jake DeBrusk and Matt Grzelcyk rejoined the Bruins for a workout Monday and both are expected back in the lineup Wednesday night when the Bruins face the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.
Grzelcyk, sidelined for six of the 11 games this season, will plug back into the No. 2 defensive pairing with right side running mate Brandon Carlo. He also will be the No. 1 point option on the power play.
DeBrusk, often at David Krejci’s left wing the last couple of years, likely will begin the night on the No. 3 line centered by Charlie Coyle, with his wing opposite Anders Bjork still to be determined.

aguineapig

"For the speed Jake brings to the table, there’s no reason why Jake can’t kill penalties," B's general manager Don Sweeney said.
Keep him with Coyle and Bjork. Push his pace. The PP is clicking right now with Ritchie, so make it known we need him to step it up in other areas to help the team. When he uses his legs and hunts pucks is when he is at his best. And throw him out on the kill with Kuraly, speed on speed.

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
these are the games I would try Frederic up on Krejci's wing, bumping Ritchie to Coyle's, DeBrusk in the fourth-line Paille role for a couple of games. and I definitely would have left an energized Cliffy in as well, subbing out the most-worn of the rest, on either side, as I believe that he held his own on the off side better than any other Bruins since like Seidenberg times. then maybe give DeBrusk two of whatever Cliffy is having and keep sending his highlight clips to the Kraken. I miss Chara. I don't miss Krug. hi, honkeyball fans!

DarrenBanks56

May 16, 2005
https://www.bostonglobe.com/2021/02/08/sports/bruins-expect-jake-debrusk-matt-grzelcyk-return-

Jake DeBrusk and Matt Grzelcyk rejoined the Bruins for a workout Monday and both are expected back in the lineup Wednesday night when the Bruins face the Rangers at Madison Square Garden.
Grzelcyk, sidelined for six of the 11 games this season, will plug back into the No. 2 defensive pairing with right side running mate Brandon Carlo. He also will be the No. 1 point option on the power play.
DeBrusk, often at David Krejci’s left wing the last couple of years, likely will begin the night on the No. 3 line centered by Charlie Coyle, with his wing opposite Anders Bjork still to be determined.
not a fan of gryz going in for clifton

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010

Why does Cassidy insist on putting Gryz on our top PP unit ahead of McAvoy, he dosen't have anywhere close to McAvoy 's offensive talents. It reminds me of Julien's stubbornness on not playing Marchand on the top PP unit, think of all the lost points for Brad in his quest to make the HOF.

CaperJay

Sep 27, 2016
I like Smith with Krejci but if there planning on putting studnicka back when he's healthy then they should put him with Coyle now and plug in Bjork on the second line for now. Let the Coyle line build chemistry together

BruinDust

Aug 2, 2005
Why does Cassidy insist on putting Gryz on our top PP unit ahead of McAvoy, he dosen't have anywhere close to McAvoy 's offensive talents. It reminds me of Julien's stubbornness on not playing Marchand on the top PP unit, think of all the lost points for Brad in his quest to make the HOF.

I don't get it either. I know they want to give McAvoy more EV minutes so they don't want him out their lugging the puck on the PP, but it's clear that Gryz isn't creative enough offensively and doesn't possess any real shooting ability that one would want out of the guy at the top of the umbrella.

They should just go 5 forwards on the PP and let Krejci QB from the point if their goal is to keep McAvoy fresh for EV.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I don't get it either. I know they want to give McAvoy more EV minutes so they don't want him out their lugging the puck on the PP, but it's clear that Gryz isn't creative enough offensively and doesn't possess any real shooting ability that one would want out of the guy at the top of the umbrella.

They should just go 5 forwards on the PP and let Krejci QB from the point if their goal is to keep McAvoy fresh for EV.

This is what they did at practice today with Gryz and Charlie on pp2

Bumper

Apr 16, 2018
(Only) Halfway To Everywhere
I have Grzelcyk and Clifton rated really close to each other in the low 80s, and I think Cliffy's hot streak and Grz'z being out add up to enough to wash the small difference there, but getting the first-powerplay defenseman back into the flow is probably enough to make me choose a different d-dude to rest while riding the hot streak. roster maintenance.

McAvoy likely playing before a given power play and into the shift after the second unit's possible turn likely motivates leaving him to greatly improve what the second bunch would otherwise be cumulatively. coaching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 6
    Staked: $6,201.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino